or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T increases early upgrade prices for Apple's iPhones by $50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T increases early upgrade prices for Apple's iPhones by $50

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
For AT&T customers looking to upgrade or replace their iPhone before their two-year contract is up, the price of Apple's smartphone has increased by $50 for all models.

Starting this week, early upgrade pricing for the 8GB iPhone 3GS is $299, the 16GB iPhone 4 is $449, and the 32GB iPhone 4 is $549. The pricing changes, first revealed by AndroidCentral, were confirmed Monday to AppleInsider by AT&T.

"We've updated our early upgrade and no commitment price points for smartphones and feature phones," a company spokesman said. "Only customers who are not yet upgrade eligible or who do not want to sign a contract are impacted.

"As mobile devices become more sophisticated, their cost goes up. This change reflects the increased costs, while still allowing us to offer customers the latest device before they qualify. We're happy to discuss individual account and upgrade needs one-on-one with customers."

No-commitment pricing on the iPhone 4 is $599 for the 16GB model, and $699 for 32GB of capacity.

While early upgrades for the iPhone are more expensive, the pricing for other smartphones has also changed. For customers looking to buy a smartphone other than an iPhone, AT&T's one-year commitment pricing has increased by $150 for the cost of a handset. And no-commitment pricing for all smartphones other than the iPhone has also gone up by $50.



Last year, ahead of the iPhone 4 launch, AT&T made any customer with an upgrade date before the end of 2010 eligible for upgrade pricing on Apple's latest handset. That meant that some customers were able to buy the iPhone 4 at the standard $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB subsidized pricing up to 6 months early.

While the move allowed customers to upgrade their handset early, it also came with a new two-year contract, ensuring that the carrier would "lock in" customers for the next 24 months unless they were to pay an early termination fee.

Though U.S. iPhone customers must sign a two-year contract with AT&T in order to receive the iPhone at a subsidized price, the wireless carrier frequently offers faster upgrades for its highest paying customers. Those with more services and a higher monthly bill typically are not required to wait the full two years before they become eligible.

AT&T has previously revealed that generally speaking, customers who spend more than $99-a-month per line are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract. Several factors play a part in upgrade eligibility, including length of contract and payment history.
post #2 of 20
Even I as a kid playing Monopoly didn't cheat this much. Won't it be nice when T-Mobile raises its prices in line with AT&T HQ?
post #3 of 20
That 3GS is a huge rip off. The new customer price for that phone is like $49.00. WTF?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That 3GS is a huge rip off. The new customer price for that phone is like $49.00. WTF?

With a two-year contract and no existing contract to fulfill. Did you miss that part?
post #5 of 20
This is almost telling that I don't see them offering any early upgrades on the newest Iphone like they did last year with the 4 at the disount price of $199 or $299.

Shame I am eligible in Nov 2011 was hoping that if the newest iphone came out they would let us upgrade who are within 6 months.

NOT
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac29 View Post

This is almost telling that I don't see them offering any early upgrades on the newest Iphone like they did last year with the 4 at the disount price of $199 or $299.

Shame I am eligible in Nov 2011 was hoping that if the newest iphone came out they would let us upgrade who are within 6 months.

NOT

I suspect that they are moving to phase out the whole early upgrade is and do like Verizon does. upgrade or no upgrade and that's it. AND to make the 'upgrade' pricing no less than 22 months into the contract regardless of how much you pay a month unlike their current gig which runs between something like 12-20 months depending on your monthly plan.

And personally I am fine with that. Sort of. I still believe very strongly that the laws need to be changed so that carriers are required to make device costs a separate line item and customers pay separately. Have X as the service fee plus a minimum payment amount of say 1/numberofmonthsinthecontract up to whatever the customer wants to pay. So if the required payment is $10 but I just got my tax refund from the state and want to put that $200 towards my device I can. The ETF should be whatever that balance is regardless of whether it is $20 or $400 and when I have paid it off, I don't owe anything more than what is in the service line item (instead of now where you pay the same amount before, after and even if there is no device to repay)
I also feel that no device should be locked to a carrier outside of the confines of the core tech. No one, including Apple, should be forced to support tech they don't wish to so you can't make them make a T-Mobile 3g capable phone but if another 3g carrier on the same band set as ATT exists why shouldn't I be able to use them.

Yeah okay so it means that there would be even more issues with resellers etc but solve that issue another way. given that all stores have the right to refuse service to anyone I'm sure Apple could find a way to restrict purchases to US citizens. And maybe even a way to set up a reservation required system that would track Apple IDs and IP addresses to make sure folks weren't playing games to reserve more than a reasonable amount. Or heck, how about dropping the whole 'no activation' gig. Since only ATT can support the phone their system could also help vet legit signups by checking for multiple accounts under one SS/ID number and/or address. Probably lots of ways to handle it if they wanted to.
post #7 of 20
What do you expect? AT&T is Killjoy.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

With a two-year contract and no existing contract to fulfill. Did you miss that part?

No. That is why I said the "new customer price." Thanks for the condescension, though.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Even I as a kid playing Monopoly didn't cheat this much. Won't it be nice when T-Mobile raises its prices in line with AT&T HQ?

They are cheating because they are not offering you a better deal than what you originally agreed to when you bought your phone from them? As I understand it, you signed a two year contract to get a favorable price on an expensive piece of hardware. If you want to get a new phone before those two years are up, it is going to cost you.

I think some people got spoiled when they offered early upgrades last year, but that was clearly a way to lock people in before Verizon got the iPhone. AT&T had to eat some profit to make those early upgrades--it is not unreasonable to expect them recoup...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #10 of 20
It said at the end they would talk to you on a "one-on-one" case. I'm sure they'll still offer the discount to the "high paying" customers with multiple lines and drop at least $150+ a month. I've personally never had an issue wi them, every time I've call customer service they've been more than happy to waive or comp me something.
post #11 of 20
They used to make you sign a new term when you upgraded early... Does that mean they will now make you sign another 2 years and slap another $50 on top?

Regardless this won't sit well with the Feds who are scrutinizing their t-mobile acquisition. It maybe bad timing on their part.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

They used to make you sign a new term when you upgraded early... Does that mean they will now make you sign another 2 years and slap another $50 on top?

Regardless this won't sit well with the Feds who are scrutinizing their t-mobile acquisition. It maybe bad timing on their part.

Again, it seems necessary to point out that they are not "making" you do anything in this situation. If you want to buy a new phone before the two year term you agreed to, they will cover less of the expense. I'm not sure this has many broader implications...
If you don't like the deal, don't upgrade early.

If you don't want another long term agreement on a phone, you have the option of paying the "no commitment" price which comes with (wait for it...) no commitment!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

They used to make you sign a new term when you upgraded early... Does that mean they will now make you sign another 2 years and slap another $50 on top?

Regardless this won't sit well with the Feds who are scrutinizing their t-mobile acquisition. It maybe bad timing on their part.

The feds cannot tell businesses how to price their services.If you want to upgrade early you just pay $50 more, what is the big deal considering than in all other countries you pay the full cost of the handsets.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

They are cheating because they are not offering you a better deal than what you originally agreed to when you bought your phone from them? As I understand it, you signed a two year contract to get a favorable price on an expensive piece of hardware. If you want to get a new phone before those two years are up, it is going to cost you.

I think some people got spoiled when they offered early upgrades last year, but that was clearly a way to lock people in before Verizon got the iPhone. AT&T had to eat some profit to make those early upgrades--it is not unreasonable to expect them recoup...

You're getting the same deal so how's that cheating?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're getting the same deal so how's that cheating?

I was restating the previous poster's comment as a question. And then answering it. I never alleged any cheating...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Again, it seems necessary to point out that they are not "making" you do anything in this situation. If you want to buy a new phone before the two year term you agreed to, they will cover less of the expense. I'm not sure this has many broader implications...
If you don't like the deal, don't upgrade early.

If you don't want another long term agreement on a phone, you have the option of paying the "no commitment" price which comes with (wait for it...) no commitment!

Thanks.. though I realize "they" are not making you do anything... I said IF you want to upgrade.

My question was different, but thank you for your response anyway
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

The feds cannot tell businesses how to price their services.If you want to upgrade early you just pay $50 more, what is the big deal considering than in all other countries you pay the full cost of the handsets.

I'm not sure what you mean there! Yes, the feds cant tell them how to price their services but they can kill the deal to buy T-Mobile based on their business practices. Meaning AT&T right now needs to show that the customer will be the winner to the feds so they can allow the deal to go through. I suppose you're not aware that the acquisition is up for review by the feds, or you did not read my whole message.

The fact that in "other countries" you have to pay the full set means they don't get subsidized and you get an unlocked handset which allows you to switch carriers etc. You can get those here too for a full price.... though this is not relevant to this or any topic. Other countries may not even have highways... does it mean I don't complain to the DOT about the sinkholes. I don't follow your logic.
post #18 of 20
Is it possible to buy unlocked iPhone in the US or Canada?
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Is it possible to buy unlocked iPhone in the US or Canada?

Here in NY you can. Those electronic stores on 5th ave have them. They are European models since the primary plug is European and you have to use an adapter.

They have been selling all kinds of unlocked phones for years.
post #20 of 20
Sprint Premier Gold customer here.

Love still having 12 month upgrades.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T increases early upgrade prices for Apple's iPhones by $50