or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store

post #1 of 112
Thread Starter 
A shootout at a San Diego, Calif., Apple Store occurred Monday morning before the store opened for business, during which one suspect was killed and two others were arrested.

The incident occurred at the Chula Vista Apple Store, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. Three suspects -- two men and a woman -- allegedly broke into the store at Otay Ranch Town Center on Birch Road before 7 a.m.

Police said the shootout occurred between the three suspects and a security guard who was at the shopping center. Shots were fired when at least one of the men allegedly took out a handgun and threatened the guard. The security guard was not harmed, according to NBC San Diego.

The would-be robbers got into a small car in an attempt to get away, but one man was mortally wounded. Their vehicle crashed into a light pole, and the surviving man and woman fled the scene, but the suspects were found by police around 8 a.m. hiding on a patio in a nearby residential neighborhood.

Police found two guns -- one on the suspect who died, and another on the man who was taken into custody. The manager of the Apple store was working inside when the incident occurred, but was not harmed. Nearby schools were also put on lockdown after the incident occurred.
post #2 of 112
Subject says it all.
post #3 of 112
Glad no-one innocent was hurt.

Maybe the iPad 2s should be sold as soon as they come in the door instead of being held until the next day... \
post #4 of 112
What the hell?! An armed robbery at an Apple store. That's just weird to me.

I bet dollars to donuts that things didn't go the way the robbers expected...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #5 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I bet dollars to donuts that things didn't go the way the robbers expected...


Yes, I doubt any of them expected to get killed.
post #6 of 112
The Otay Ranch??? Who was this security guard Buckwheat?
post #7 of 112
I live near Pittsburgh. PA. The Apple Store in the Shadyside section of the city (of Pittsburgh), has been broken into 3 times in the last year/year and a half. I'm thinking you get away with some good Apple stuff, you can get good money......for drugs, Christmas, etc.
post #8 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Glad no-one innocent was hurt.

Maybe the iPad 2s should be sold as soon as they come in the door instead of being held until the next day... \

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #9 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The Otay Ranch??? Who was this security guard Buckwheat?

ILMAO!!!!!!!! I can't stop........!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

disagree completely.
post #11 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post

Ha ha.

There's nothing to laugh about, or celebrate, when anyone gets killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

disagree completely.

I would agree with you, S8ER01Z,

but, then, we would both be wrong.
post #12 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

live by the sword, die by the sword.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #13 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

If they threatened to kill people with guns, they deserve on-the-spot brainshowers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 112
"fuck waiting in line......I want an iPad NOW!" *cocks gun*
post #15 of 112
iJustice
post #16 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I would agree with you, S8ER01Z,

but, then, we would both be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22
no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
disagree completely.
I would agree with you, S8ER01Z,

but, then, we would both be wrong.

\t

I've got news for you. Everyone dies.
post #17 of 112
These guys exchanged a lot of rounds... eventually the robber took one to the head (while driving the getaway Lexus).

All this for a smash and grab. I wonder how the other two feel about their plan now.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #18 of 112
Give that man a free iPad 2! I mean the security guard of course.

Ipad2's are so in demand that people are literally dying trying to get one.

The only thing that could've made this story better is if some scalpers were caught in the middle of the shootout. Ok, I'm only kidding about that scalper comment, but I'm sure glad that at least one of the robbers is now dead.

post #19 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

There's nothing to laugh about, or celebrate, when anyone gets killed.


When criminals committing violent acts are killed, I don't care one iota.
Not a shred of empathy for them. None.

In fact Crime Stoppers should give the security guard some money.
post #20 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post

When criminals committing violent acts are killed, I don't care one iota.
Not a shred of empathy for them. None.

In fact Crime Stoppers should give the security guard some money.

My thoughts exactly. You pull a gun, you are threatening to take a life if they don't comply with your demands. When the same perps get high velocity lead poisoning, I smile. The guard should get a medal and a new box of bullets.
post #21 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

My thoughts exactly. You pull a gun, you are threatening to take a life if they don't comply with your demands. When the same perps get high velocity lead poisoning, I smile. The guard should get a medal and a new box of bullets.

Gold plate that gun and stick it on his wall.

I wonder if he'll at least put a notch in it.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #22 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Give that man a free iPad 2! I mean the security guard of course.

Ipad2's are so in demand that people are literally dying trying to get one.

The only thing that could've made this story better is if some scalpers were caught in the middle of the shootout. Ok, I'm only kidding about that scalper comment, but I'm sure glad that at least one of the robbers is now dead.


post #23 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The Otay Ranch??? Who was this security guard Buckwheat?

BEST COMMENT EVER!!! (since the last best comment ever )

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #24 of 112
Just as an FYI....Chula Vista is about 10 miles from the SD/Mexico border. Most of the city is pretty sketchy.
post #25 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

No one? You are naive. How about child rapists or child murderers? How about defending yourself against attack? Or defending your family?
There isn't one thing you would kill for? Enjoy your fantasy utopia. The rest of the world will bear down and take care of business for you and your friends.
post #26 of 112
Steve Jobs should personally call the security guard and thank him for putting his life on the line and for doing a great job of protecting the Apple store. Apple should also give him some sort of reward or at least a couple of free Apple products. The security guard should become a life long Mac user, if he wasn't already one.

Apple should also release a new game on the App store, where you play a security guard standing in front of an Apple store and you have to shoot at a whole bunch of wild intruders who are all trying to break their way in and snatch iPad2's! In the beginning of the game it would say, "This game is based on a true story".
post #27 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

My thoughts exactly. You pull a gun, you are threatening to take a life if they don't comply with your demands. When the same perps get high velocity lead poisoning, I smile. The guard should get a medal and a new box of bullets.

The guard will be presented with the Harry Callahan Award next week.

"Go ahead, make my day..."
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #28 of 112
Somewhere right now Joe Horn is smiling.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jqLie6-Y0
post #29 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

It is comments like this one that scare me. If armed robbers crash into a store or residence with illegal weapons with the intent to take with force with the intent to kill anyone in their way, they need to be met with deadly force. Not only to protect innocent lives from this incident but for future incidents this criminal will commit. I have no pity for those criminal scum when a cop or legal gun owner kills a perp because it is the perp who made the decision on his own to commit the act. The security guard killed him defending his life. Plus, it will save the taxpayers millions of dollars feeding and incarcerating that puke. Unfortunately we will have to do that for his two accomplices.
The only thing criminals understand is violence, and that means bringing that same amount or more violence to rid this earth of this scum. Life is not all rainbows and puppies; there is the need to save lives by taking the lives of the criminals who do not value human life over material possessions. I worked my azz off to be at a position to care for my family and give them what they need, plus the extras. I will have no hesitation at all to blow away any criminal who threatens them. So great job to the security guard! "sucks to be you" to the dead perp.
post #30 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98RaptorTA View Post

It is comments like this one that scare me. If armed robbers crash into a store or residence with illegal weapons with the intent to take with force with the intent to kill anyone in their way, they need to be met with deadly force. Not only to protect innocent lives from this incident but for future incidents this criminal will commit. I have no pity for those criminal scum when a cop or legal gun owner kills a perp because it is the perp who made the decision on his own to commit the act. The security guard killed him defending his life. Plus, it will save the taxpayers millions of dollars feeding and incarcerating that puke. Unfortunately we will have to do that for his two accomplices.
The only thing criminals understand is violence, and that means bringing that same amount or more violence to rid this earth of this scum. Life is not all rainbows and puppies; there is the need to save lives by taking the lives of the criminals who do not value human life over material possessions. I worked my azz off to be at a position to care for my family and give them what they need, plus the extras. I will have no hesitation at all to blow away any criminal who threatens them. So great job to the security guard! "sucks to be you" to the dead perp.

This!

oh and f-body love.
post #31 of 112
@98RaptorTA: Yes, my thoughts exactly. These people are pathetic. And like you said, what's even more pathetic is taxpayers spending so much money maintaining someone's worthless life. Yes, worthless. If you are willing to commit armed robbery for an iPad, can you be called anything but worthless?

Seriously, what kind of idiots are these guys? I'm glad one's dead and the other two arrested. We don't need people like that. :|
post #32 of 112
I'm surprised that a mall security guard is able to carry a gun. Was he private security hired specifically by Apple? If so that shows that for whatever reason Apple was serious about protecting this store, maybe it was robbed in the past.

I have to also wonder if the shooting was legal. If the car was speeding away and he fired at the robbers with intent to kill, is that legal? If he was defending himself because they were firing at him from the car then that makes more sense, but I don't see anything that says that is what happened, other than the shootout was chaotic.

It might sound ridiculous but it's actually not. I'm glad that the robbery was stopped and these thieves were made an example, but I also want the law to be obeyed.
post #33 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

I'm surprised that a mall security guard is able to carry a gun.

I wonder if the security guard's uniform was blue? If so, talk about your "Blue Screen of Death!"

No empathy for armed lawbreakers, they are FELONS and have no rights!

So much for the stereotype of Mall Cops! Don't mess with them!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #34 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

I agree with this in theory as I am not qualified to make decisions on death. In reality ...
post #35 of 112
wow... just wow.

When the depth of response to something like this is simply "if someone does this, they need to be met with deadly force", or a joke, you know things are bad. Stay focused on the symptom (crime) and don't bother thinking about the root cause (high levels of poverty, untreated mental illness, all combined with an armed population).

But hey, just keep building gated communities, private security armies, not daring to travel to certain areas of your city for fear of being mugged, murdered, or both, and laughing off the desperation you're surrounded by.

Personally, I can't imagine hell being a much worse place...
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

wow... just wow.

When the depth of response to something like this is simply "if someone does this, they need to be met with deadly force", or a joke, you know things are bad. Stay focused on the symptom (crime) and don't bother thinking about the root cause (high levels of poverty, untreated mental illness, all combined with an armed population).

But hey, just keep building gated communities, private security armies, not daring to travel to certain areas of your city for fear of being mugged, murdered, or both, and laughing off the desperation you're surrounded by.

Personally, I can't imagine hell being a much worse place...

Haven't seen much of the world, have you?
I guess you're right. Not counting the billions and billions we pump into welfare programs to raise the masses from poverty (which haven't done a thing), in the end, it's our fault, and these poor saps are just innocent bystanders to their own lives.
I guess if we just passed out a thick stack of hundred dollar bills to every armed assailant paroled, they would reverse their wicked ways and become pillars of the community.
post #37 of 112
cancel

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #38 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The Otay Ranch??? Who was this security guard Buckwheat?

REPORT 40 SHOTS FIRED!

It's not the Otay Ranch, it's the OK Corral!

BILL THE TWO SURVIVORS FOR THE APPLE STORE GLASS THEY BROKE DURING THEIR SMASH AND GRAB AND PUT A LEAN ON THE DECEASED FOR HIS PART OF THE DESTRUCTION!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #39 of 112
USA:
5% of World's Population
25% of World's Incarcerated (i.e. in jail at any moment)
The USA has the highest total prison and jail population in the world. Wikip

Definitely not at the top end of safe places to be.

Safest times outside of your bunker: 8 am ~ 8 pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #40 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

There's nothing to laugh about, or celebrate, when anyone gets killed.

And the peace-loving, bubble-living, sunflower-sniffers come out of their den...

The way I look look at it, those robbers wanted to meet their maker, and the security guard was happy to facilitate their request.

You passive crybabies would soil yourselves if someone pulled a gun in your face with the intent on killing you, left only to hope that someone would show up and pop a cap in their head first.

The full details haven't been mentioned. But in the line of duty, if an individual is in a hostile situation and his life is in danger, by all means do whatever is necessary to end the situation. The fact he shot him in the head was especially appreciated since he saved the taxpayers a lot of money. He should get a medal.

I wonder if the security guard was a moonlighting police officer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store