or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units

Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units - Page 3

post #81 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I personally know 9 people with xooms. I know roughly double that number with ipads. And what really pushed iOS branding isn't the ads (though they are some of the best in the industry) it's how basically every prime time show makes heavy use of the technology during their shows.

Yet another reason why "Personal experience' is pointless when discussing national (or international) trends.

You must mean DaHarder. We're all aware he bought 3 for each family member.
post #82 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!

Bullshit.

Just checked online and nearly all have stock.

Astroturfer.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
post #83 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Don't encourage me too much. I might have to call out Steve Jobs for using the word
flummoxed.

Going full circle, I think DED has used "flummoxed" to describe Apple's competitors pretty regularly going back to 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:....com+flummoxed
post #84 of 173
I am sure Motorola will use the term "smooth" in describing the Xoom sale.
post #85 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Going full circle, I think DED has used "flummoxed" to describe Apple's competitors pretty regularly going back to 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:....com+flummoxed

Has anyone ever seen DED, Steve Jobs, and quinney in the same room at the same time?
post #86 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Bullshit.

Just checked online and nearly all have stock.

Astroturfer.

He comment may very well be BS, and he comment about being "hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do certainly doesnt make him sound legitimate, but ignoring all that its certainly possible and likely, anecdotally speaking, that online availability for the actual product in stores is inaccurate. Whether its an ingenious way to get more foor traffive or inattention to detail which saves money from keeping the systems also unpdated. but it seems to work this way for many large stores.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #87 of 173
Quote:

So a device that more than likely made Motorola $70 million in revenue in 42 days (minimum) is a flop?

Yes, the ipad sold more. Who gives a crap? You don't need to have iOS numbers to escape being called a "Flop."

Any analyst that predicted several million sales this year when all they knew of was a Verizon xoom and possibly a wifi model was stupid. Full Stop. Just like the "analysts" that predicted a FULL RETAIL phone, sold only online, one that required a data plan, would sell millions a quarter (aka N1 launch).

It's clear that Analysts don't understand the tech market. They've had to "significantly" adjust their figures for EVERY tech product launch in the past few years. Why are you listening to them again?

Much better commentary on this news story can be found here:
http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/06/the-mo...nius+Report%29

It's a flop when you develop a product chasing the taillights of last year's product, end up blindsided by this year's product, and end up losing money. Look at MMI earnings: already back in the red after a brief year of profitability when it didn't have to compete against Apple, segregated briefly by Verizon's wing.

The Xoom flopped, the Asterix flopped, Motorola is now in big trouble. That's why they're scrambling to come up with their own proprietary blend of Linux. Google's Android was half the reason both products flopped.

As for BGR, if you want to cry about DED being an Apple fanboy, well the "better commentary" you point to is simply laughable. Choice lines:

"The tablet market is barely a year old and its dominated by a single device Apples iPad."

No, the iPad market is a year old. Tablet market has been around since the early 90s, but nobody has figured it out until now. It's people like BGR's Zach who predicted that the Xoom was going to fare better. They were wrong.

"Motorola has sold 100,000 XOOM tablets in less than a month and a half, which is an average of over 75,000 units per month. Thats a flop?"

Yes, 75,000 * 12 = less than a million units a year. That's worse than the Zune. A flop by any measure, especially for the headlined, ultra hyped, Google-touted flagship Honeycomb tablet. It's a massive flop, bad enough to kill Android 3.0 as dead as the Zune OS. Never mind that 100/2=50 and not 75.

You think that article is "better" because it says what you want to hear. But it is childishly wrong, as are you. Motorola isn't bouncing back or organically growing Xoom sales. It's canceling production orders! It's going to pull the plug 5x faster than Microsoft killed the Zune. It'll be gone before the next wave of Honeycomb tablets begin their drumbeat/dismal/doubt/death cycle.
post #88 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That would be in exactly 14 days from now. April 20.

Apple reports it's earnings on Hitler's birthday?
post #89 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

A coincidence just like the last even just happened to fall on Jobs birthday.
post #90 of 173
Quote:

Godwin's Law

This thread is over!

j/k
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #91 of 173
Quote:

No, they report them on the anniversary of the Columbine massacre.
post #92 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, that's some real impressive figures there. 100,000 is how many iPads Apple sold yesterday probably.

Poor droidy looks all green. Maybe he needs CPR!
post #93 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Poor droidy looks all green. Maybe he needs CPR!

Don't look at me. I'm not helping it.
post #94 of 173
Quote:

... and this is why some people believe the ATF/FBI ended the siege at Waco on April 19th.

... but I digress broadly.

Can't wait for those earnings!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #95 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

"experimental support for Flash is still not able to deliver reasonable performance even for web videos"

You mean the final version of Flash, available on Android Market that delivers video perfectly as the below example shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6xzyxVYg0

The funny thing that first struck me in the video was the clear reflection of the back of an iPhone4 that the guy used to film his "proof that flash is fast". The 2nd thing I noticed is that it took 30 to 45 seconds to load in the same amount of time in the video. He blames this on his "slow network", but running the same videos on my slow network loaded videos in less than 45 seconds for the whole thing. Either he has a dial up connection or the flash component loads and processes video VERY slowly.

Lastly...who in God's Green Earth did they let create that interface for flash? HUGE ugly buttons that cover a good portion of the video. Funny thing to me was the buttons got BIGGER when he shifted the video to full screen.

Thanks for the video to prove the point that Flash is a dying beast. Much appreciated.
post #96 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A coincidence just like the last even just happened to fall on Jobs birthday.

That seems very appropriate, they should put a lock on that idea.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #97 of 173
Please know that us apple fans, especially the ones who have been around for a while, are wounded from our past of being MS underdogs.

Now we're relishing in our market dominance and feel good when other companies product sales suck compared to apple's. Logically, there is little threat to apples position - at least for a good while. However apple fans are so wounded that some of us want to completely crush anyone who "might" threaten our dominance - even though lots of us say we like competition - and we do.

We just can't stand the thought of being marginalized again. For me i just want apple to keep their dominance long enough to remain the 1st choice platform of developers for years to come. All they have to do NOW is preload the market with enough powerful machines and that will provide years of a solid (non-fragmented) base market for developers to launch first on apple.

If apple also keeps pushing out APIs/development environments and couples innovative hardware with those APIs etc, it will encourage the creation of one-of-kind, first to apple platform apps that will allow us fans to deservedly puff out our chests and continue to smile down upon lesser brands.
post #98 of 173
Quote:

"experimental support for Flash is still not able to deliver reasonable performance even for web videos"

You mean the final version of Flash, available on Android Market that delivers video perfectly as the below example shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6xzyxVYg0

Too bad all those videos play in browser and full screen on the iPad... They are certainly available in HTML5, how do we know from that video they were even playing in flash...
post #99 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm still bemused that more people can't make a simple calculation of the TCO of a Smartphone, data and voice services included, and weight that against the upfront costs of a handset. Saving $99 or even $199 on the phone is a drop in the bucket compared to paying to operate that phone.

I'm always bemused that people like YOU don't take the TCO into account.

Congrats, you bought a iPhone sans contract and how much did you save on the TCO? ZERO.

Check this out according to the costs we here in New Zealand have to pay on the Vodafone network.

iPhone 4 32GB on Smart3 contract:

3GB data free
120 minutes free
600 texts free

Total: $81.75 + $379 for iPhone = $460.75

iPhone 4 32GB without contract based on Smart3 rates:

3GB data @ $0.11/MB = $337.92
120 minutes @ $0.71/minute = $85.20
600 texts @ $0.20/txt = $120.00

Total: $543.12 + $1328 for iPhone = $1817.12

iPhone 4 32GB without contract:

3GB data @ $0.20/MB = $614.40
120 minutes @ $0.91/minute = $109.20
600 texts @ $0.20/txt = $120.00

Total: $843.6 + $1328 for iPhone = $2171.60

Recap, the prices are as follows:

On Smart3 Contract = $460.75
Smart3 Contract with Full Price iPhone = $1817.12
Off Contract Full Price iPhone = $2171.60

That's based on one month with the phone included, let's total it for two years shall we?

On Smart3 Contract = $2341.00
Smart3 Contract with Full Price iPhone = $14362.00
Off Contract Full Price iPhone = $21574.40

Hmm, I'm failing to see how you save more money by buying the phone outright rather than going on a fixed 2 year contract.
post #100 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedone View Post

I just bought a WIFI Xoom and I had to go to several different stores to get one as all of the Best Buys in Dallas were sold out. Got it at Best Buy.

You couldn't give me an iPad because I don't want to be hemmed in by Steve's idea of what one can or can't do.

Talk about 1984!

Have you READ Nineteen Eighty Four? I'm picking most people who spout lines like this haven't. Job's control over the user experience isn't anything like the misinformation, manipulation of news, or degradation of the language as is suggested in the novel.

Incidentally, you also didn't read this article because it mentioned how Google has controlled the source code to Honeycomb as well.

Why are people like you continually allowed to be oxygen thieves?
post #101 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

The funny thing that first struck me in the video was the clear reflection of the back of an iPhone4 that the guy used to film his "proof that flash is fast". The 2nd thing I noticed is that it took 30 to 45 seconds to load in the same amount of time in the video. He blames this on his "slow network", but running the same videos on my slow network loaded videos in less than 45 seconds for the whole thing. Either he has a dial up connection or the flash component loads and processes video VERY slowly.

Lastly...who in God's Green Earth did they let create that interface for flash? HUGE ugly buttons that cover a good portion of the video. Funny thing to me was the buttons got BIGGER when he shifted the video to full screen.

Thanks for the video to prove the point that Flash is a dying beast. Much appreciated.

The buttons are controlled by the developer of the Flash container, so in this case it would be CNet that designed those.
post #102 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Too bad all those videos play in browser and full screen on the iPad... They are certainly available in HTML5, how do we know from that video they were even playing in flash...

P.S. Who came up with the gigantic buttons and forgot to give access to the progress bar in full screen view.. Maybe he can show us the Android equivalent of high screen scrubbing in full screen..
post #103 of 173
I love technology and competition is good when IT IS GOOD. But no one has been able to pwn the ipad. All I've read is hype. Period.
If Moto had created their tablet from the ground up, design and software, then we could talk. But if you're just trolling off the shelf tech parts and free software, then you're only in it for ME TOO effect.
Apple builds their swag from the bottom up and test the hell out of it. Just look at the fit and finish of the ipad. It is as if everything was chiseled from granite. It all works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a clue haters!!!
post #104 of 173
Quote:

Someone knows a little too much about Hitler. Do you run the Barbie museum?
post #105 of 173
Redacted
post #106 of 173
Quote:

The buttons are controlled by the developer of the Flash container, so in this case it would be CNet that designed those.

This is an example where the owner of the application (Adobe) should provide some sort of guidelines on the GUI ...or even provide them. I find it difficult to rationalize that any developer (CNET) would override a good UI with THAT unless the built in one was worse...

The lack of the progress bar in full screen was entertaining to me as well.
post #107 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That line just cracks me up. Good ol' DED-style...

Seriously, the XOOM was destined for failure the moment it came out of the factory. What a shame that most will end up as door stops.

I agree on the line - the problem was they brought them out of the factory well before they were finished. This isn't done yet and thats not quite done and just pack it up and send back so we can finish it up in a month or two. Say what? I wouldn't buy a car with no seats or doors with promise that if I brought it back in in a month or two they could have back in a week or so (and hope the seats are comfortable and the paint matches). Not the kid!
post #108 of 173
Quote:

Who's Hitler?
post #109 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Who's Hitler?

He bought the first Xoom.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #110 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He bought the first Xoom.

BURN!

(Too"That 70s Show"?)
post #111 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

It's a flop when you develop a product chasing the taillights of last year's product, end up blindsided by this year's product, and end up losing money. Look at MMI earnings: already back in the red after a brief year of profitability when it didn't have to compete against Apple...

Apple isn't Motorola's problem, HTC, Samsung, LG, ZTE, Huawei, Veiwsonic, Barnes & Noble and everyone else jumping on the Android bandwagon are Motorola's problem.

The death of another American industry at the hands of (mainly) Asian rivals.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #112 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakusei View Post

Competition is good and iOS is feeling long in the tooth.

I don't think so, like I always tell my wife ...... if you're doing it right .... you don't have to do it often! ...
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #113 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Have you READ Nineteen Eighty Four? I'm picking most people who spout lines like this haven't. Job's control over the user experience isn't anything like the misinformation, manipulation of news, or degradation of the language as is suggested in the novel.

Incidentally, you also didn't read this article because it mentioned how Google has controlled the source code to Honeycomb as well.

Why are people like you continually allowed to be oxygen thieves?

Using the time travel functions of my iQuantum Mac brain implant, I have brought you back this essay question from an early 21st Century history exam set in 2297.

Quote:
One of the most prominent examples of a reference that can be drawn from Orwell's book 1984 is "doublespeak" and Google's liberal use of it.

Discuss in 3000 words or less, giving examples.
post #114 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Who's Hitler?

Someone whose birthday is uncomfortably close to Queen Elizabeth II's birthday, which is why we in Australia, celebrate the Queen's birthday with a holiday in June.
post #115 of 173
There is actually ONE successful iPad competitor - the nook color. 3MM units sold. Not iPad numbers, but respectable especially compared to 100M units for the much higher hyped Xoom. And I am convinced it is 100% price. Zune made the same mistake - they made a slightly inferior iPod and tried to compete against it on an equally price basis. If you have to pay the same (or more), who is going to buy the slightly (or significantly) inferior product? If you are way late to the game ( like Zune was and Xoom is), give the consumer a great price and establish a presence - THEN worry about making money.

This is what I think the success of the nook color is. It's a great price for a nice device. No iPad, but for $200 it does a lot, and it well made. B&N is probably not making a dime on them but they are staking a claim in the digital marketplace. They are thinking more about where they will be in a few years then making a big splash in the press. Samsung and Motorola could take a lesson from that. Give us a $250 Xoom or Tab, and you'll be a force in the market this time next year.
post #116 of 173
Quote:

We're not talking profit here.

Exactly, which makes your defining it as a success already pretty funny.

Quote:
The fact that ANYONE expected this to sell anywhere near as well as the ipad did is laughable. Motorola didn't. Verizon sure as hell didn't.

Oh, I didn't either.

Quote:
100,000 units of an $600 (on contract) or $800 (no contract) device is a HUGE amount, especially when you're talking that it's ONLY available on one carrier, the wifi model is less than 10 days old and it ISNT EVEN AVAILABLE internationally yet. So what the numbers mean on a "international level" is pointless considering it isn't available there yet.

Not so much. Given that it's slower than the iPad2 out of the blocks (uh, hardware, though cetainly sales too...) and running a half-finished OS, expecting higher sales numbers would be crazy - as you yourself are now saying, even as you try to spin that as success. This tablet has run into the wall of the iPad and will get taken down by the upcoming Samsung devices***. If Moto is already cutting off the orders, it's going to end up being an unsupported .9-gen Android tablet that couldn't win on specs, price, or software on day 1. It's not a huge amount if you expect support from developers or the company itself even if the number is higher than you could personally produce in your basement.

Of course, if Xoom hasn't been launched globally yet, then they still have a... no, they really don't have a shot. Sorry.

*** And it's not likely that Samsung is going to be any sort of winner there either, just that people looking for a sleeker tablet running Android won't be lining up to pick up the Xoom so it will undercut Motorola even further.

Quote:
But then, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Given your general lack of insight, I can't say that surprises me.
post #117 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Motorola HAD to launch because they were splitting the company into two --- despite the fact that Honeycomb was an ugly hack that was far from production quality.

That makes no sense at all -- the division of the company was decided in advance, and was not tied to the release of the Xoom or any product.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #118 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Someone knows a little too much about Hitler. Do you run the Barbie museum?

Says the jealous director of the Ken museum?
post #119 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Says the jealous director of the Ken museum?

Completely off topic and inrelevant but your post reminded me of this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pS68OlhX_4
post #120 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

I consider this DOA QED. No surprise. All the competitors are competing against laptops and desktops as opposed to competting against the iPad. This is evident when you consider that they are all hell bent on promoting specks and complexity where as the iPad is about simplicity and doing basic tasks well and very fast. Putting one of those tablets up against a laptop or desktops an instant failure since most people already have one of those devices and more than capable.

I'm seeing a lot of average non techy types asking me about the iPad and going out and buying them....never ONCE do they show any awareness that there are competing devices to consider, it's truly amazing, I've never seen that happen with any device. I think the carnage is going to catch everyone by surprise at how big they all fail.

Now if I could actually *get* an iPad 2, that would help. The situation in Australia is pretty insane, a friend of mine has been trying for two weeks to get one because he underestimated demand and did not queue up in time on launch day.

That said, I've played around with a few iPad 2s in the past few weeks, and it's great and all that, but the camera quality is pretty low, I have to admit. I might stick with my iPad 1 for a lot longer than anticipated, due to (a) lack of ability to buy iPad 2 and (b) probably sour grapes related to (a).

What is AMAZING is all these other companies still just don't get it. They were banking on Google's photocopy of iOS to save them again, this time with tablets. It's just not happening.

As for Flash, well, we all know the story there. I can hear the fans spinning up on this older Intel Core 2 Duo white non-unibody MacBook as I am typing this. What has Adobe been doing for the past 2 years I wonder. Honestly.

And what is holding back developers from making Honeycomb or other tablet-optimised apps? There seems to be such overwhelming interest in Android development, eg. Google I/O... but why are there so few Android tablet apps?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola's Android 3.0 Honeycomb Xoom sales forecast slashed to 100,000 units