or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Judge allows Apple to proceed in lawsuit against unlicensed accessory makers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Judge allows Apple to proceed in lawsuit against unlicensed accessory makers

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
A federal judge has ruled that Apple's lawsuit against a collection of iPod, iPhone and iPad accessory makers, who are accused of infringing on nine patents and producing "inferior quality" accessories, can proceed.

Apple sued accessory maker EForCity and several other related companies in July 2010, with the complaint that many of the products from the companies "are of inferior quality and reliability, raising significant concerns over compatibility with and damage to Apples products."

In the suit, Apple alleged that the companies had violated Apple's patents and exposed the iPod maker to liability from an implied endorsement.

As reported by Bloomberg on Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel has ruled that the lawsuit can proceed.

EForCity had argued that the court should remove allegations that were redundant, immaterial, impertinent or scandalous. In its complaint, Apple had included comments from a dissatisfied user of one of the allegedly infringing products.

Though the court agreed with EForCity's argument and removed the remarks from the record, the infringement case is still being allowed to continue.

Apple has often relied on legal means to protect its brand and ensure that accessories for its products meet a certain standard. The company sued the maker of the HyperMac line of accessories last year over alleged patent violations.

HyperMac parent company Sanho subsequently announced that it would cease selling MacBook charging cables, which were advertised as using recycled MagSafe connectors for "maximum compatibility." The company also changed the brand name from 'HyperMac' to 'HyperJuice' as a result of ongoing licensing negotiations with Apple.
post #2 of 14
Just so many people to sue!
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
Reply
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
Reply
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Apple sued accessory maker EForCity and several other related companies in July 2010, with the complaint that many of the products from the companies "are of inferior quality and reliability, raising significant concerns over compatibility with and damage to Apples products."

No mention of how they were falsely claiming "Made for ipod" ? Or was that simply never the case?
post #4 of 14
A high quality iPod (iPhone / iPad) cable from Daiso (Japan) which does not break nor wear like the original cable, only costs 100 yen (~$1.2), while some Chinese-made crappy cables often asks for $3-4. It just depends on whether you can find the right 3rd party cable or not.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

I think it's consumers' choice and risk to buy accessories for their gears.

So Toyota now can sue car mattress maker

Again patent law in US is for "sue & profit" not innovation


Toyota will sue any parts maker who advertise their part as Toyota approved parts without getting an official approval first.
post #6 of 14
It is vital for Apple to sue these terrible companies.

Otherwise apple might lose the ability to charge $120 for for a replacement power adapter, $30 for a mini-displayport adaptor, $70 for an airplane power adaptor $30 for an iPod-USB cable and $60 for an iPod-AV cable.

These are all very important sources of revenue to Apple.

Just look at companies like Dell which still uses C4- and C6- power cables (probably stole the idea from Apple's use of them on G4 macs, of course) and generic adaptors, or iRiver, HTC and Motorola, who use a common mini-usb cable to connect their phones and MP3 players with computers. Their users can simply walk into any electronics or hardware store and fulfill their cable needs with generic cables that cost just a few dollars, depriving Dell, HTC and iRiver of millions of dollars each year in proprietary cable sales!

When will the rest of the industry "get a clue" and create their own proprietary cables, sell them at a 500-4000% markup and aggressively sue anyone who tries to provide a generic alternative???
post #7 of 14
Gotta give that a +1
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

It is vital for Apple to sue these terrible companies.

Otherwise apple might lose the ability to charge $120 for for a replacement power adapter, $30 for a mini-displayport adaptor, $70 for an airplane power adaptor $30 for an iPod-USB cable and $60 for an iPod-AV cable.

These are all very important sources of revenue to Apple.

Just look at companies like Dell which still uses C4- and C6- power cables (probably stole the idea from Apple's use of them on G4 macs, of course) and generic adaptors, or iRiver, HTC and Motorola, who use a common mini-usb cable to connect their phones and MP3 players with computers. Their users can simply walk into any electronics or hardware store and fulfill their cable needs with generic cables that cost just a few dollars, depriving Dell, HTC and iRiver of millions of dollars each year in proprietary cable sales!

When will the rest of the industry "get a clue" and create their own proprietary cables, sell them at a 500-4000% markup and aggressively sue anyone who tries to provide a generic alternative???

Does that mean, any and all iPad cases must be the ones made by Apple? No one may sell "iPad cases"? Or does it mean, simply, one may not describe it as an "iPad case" but rather as "a case made for thin computing appliances"? Absurd.
post #9 of 14
Seriously, why the FUCK couldn't Apple make an external battery for MacBooks before they killed the only one being made by a third party?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

Does that mean, any and all iPad cases must be the ones made by Apple? No one may sell "iPad cases"? Or does it mean, simply, one may not describe it as an "iPad case" but rather as "a case made for thin computing appliances"? Absurd.

Cases are one thing; this is about ipod and macbook cables.

Basically, apple will patent their cable tech so nobody can make cheap clones of them, such as their magsafe connector, and this is possible because our stupid dumbasses at the patent office granted it to them.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

I think Apple just want them to pay for the licensing fees.

Bingo! we have a winner!

Apple has a "made for iOS" program AKA MFI.

They authorize you to purchase their special 30 pin connector and track your purchases to ensure the royalty payments correlate to purchases. They also provide specific guidelines on how and when you MUST use their Logos etc.

I imagine it comes to quite a revenue stream as all the big boys (Bose..Sony) incorporating a 30 pin dock connector in a product pay a royalty based on the number they buy.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

... iRiver, HTC and Motorola, who use a common mini-usb cable to connect their phones and MP3 players with computers. Their users can simply walk into any electronics or hardware store and fulfill their cable needs with generic cables that cost just a few dollars, depriving Dell, HTC and iRiver of millions of dollars each year in proprietary cable sales!

When will the rest of the industry "get a clue" and create their own proprietary cables, sell them at a 500-4000% markup and aggressively sue anyone who tries to provide a generic alternative???

Companies don't have a choice if they want to sell phones in Europe.

December 30, 2010: The European Union has put the finishing touches on an agreement between major phone makers to use microUSB as a universal charging system.
...the European Commission has put the final touches on an agreement between fourteen leading phone manufacturers to standardize on charging via microUSBand that should lead to a future of chargers compatible across a broad range of devices
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...rger-standard/

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

Just wondering why iPhone still have their special cable. I am sure iPhone is being sold on Europe.

Apple got permission to keep using the 30-pin USB port.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

WOW. If you have a link that has the detail on that please post. Would be a good topic for my class project. Thank you

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...phone-adapter/

I can't find a link to the text of the actual agreement, but it allows Apple to keep doing their thing.

Funny, the EU allowing a monopoly.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Judge allows Apple to proceed in lawsuit against unlicensed accessory makers