or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reportedly caused display shortage that delayed RIM PlayBook 1 month

Apple reportedly caused display shortage that delayed RIM PlayBook 1 month

post #1 of 35
A new report out of the Far East suggests that a one month delay to Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet may have been a result of Apple booking up most of the available touch panel production capacity.

Taiwanese publication DigiTimes reported Thursday that RIM's 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook, which is set to launch on April 19 for $499, may have had trouble acquiring sufficient supply of touch display panels to manufacture the device because Apple consumes the lion's share of larger touch display production capacity.

Citing sources from touch screen panel makers, the report alleged that PlayBook shipments were postponed for roughly a month "due to a delay in software testing as well as shortage of touch panels because Apple already booked up most of the available capacity."

RIM's answer to the iPad had originally been scheduled to launch in the first quarter of 2011. Instead, the PlayBook will ship more than one month after Apple shipped the second-generation of its successful tablet.

Late last year, one Wall Street analyst suggested that RIM was having trouble engineering the PlayBook to get more than "a few hours" of battery life. RIM quickly denied the claim, promising that the tablet would have "superior performance with comparable battery life."

The BlackBerry maker recently revealed that the PlayBook will support Android OS 2.3-compatible applications in addition to existing BlackBerry apps. A 4G version of the device is scheduled for release on the Sprint network this summer.

For its part, Apple is believed to have reserved a large portion of the world's available production capacity for touch screens with a $3.9 billion secret long-term investment. With over $50 billion in cash reserves, the iPad maker has been known to pre-pay for components in order to guarantee priority and favorable pricing.

According to a recent Bill of Materials estimate from iSuppli, manufacturing challenges have driven up the cost of the touchscreen on the iPad 2 to $127, $30 more than the original iPad.

Last week, rumors swirled that Apple had inked a deal with AU Optronics to supply LCD screens for the iPad 2, though AU executive vice president Paul Peng denied the rumors.
post #2 of 35
"due to a delay in software testing as well as..."

Oh, brother. Are they saying they'd have released it before the software testing was done if they could have gotten display panels in time? In that case, I haven't released MY tablet yet due to the fact that I haven't created one as well as shortage of touch panels because Apple already booked up most of the available capacity.
post #3 of 35
Talk about snoozing??? they had a year to get the memo, plan, design, buy the parts........ OH, forgot to buy the partshttp://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1mad.gif
SOOOOOOOOOOOOn though, I promise
And this time I really mean it!
post #4 of 35
I find this hard to believe. I mean, how many PlayBook can they sell? 100k like the Xoom? If that's the case, it should be rather easy to secure 100k displays, especially when it's 7" not 10".
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Oh, brother. Are they saying they'd have released it before the software testing was done if they could have gotten display panels in time? In that case, I haven't released MY tablet yet due to the fact that I haven't created one as well as shortage of touch panels because Apple already booked up most of the available capacity.

no they are saying PlayBook is delayed due to two reasons.

don't think they'd release it if they had only one reason.

either way, good excuse for delaying the product.

blaming apple for their own failure to secure supplies.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For its part, Apple is believed to have reserved a large portion of the world's available production capacity for touch screens with a $3.9 billion secret long-term investment.

LOL I love it when people keep secrets on the Internets. Nobody will possibly see that!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 35
ZZZZZZ Wake me up when this actually starts shipping and is available in WiFi-only and WiFi+3G models you don't have to tether to a BlackBerry.
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I find this hard to believe. I mean, how many PlayBook can they sell? 100k like the Xoom? If that's the case, it should be rather easy to secure 100k displays, especially when it's 7" not 10".

The 7" and 10" panels are probably cut from the same large sheet of float glass. They probably had to tell Rim that they needed to get the 10" done before they can get to the 7".
post #9 of 35
Quote:

Thats what it sounded like to me too In reality, they probably wouldnt have... which means theyd have been late to release regardless of whether Apple planned ahead better (and, you know... designed a tablet and OS sooner...)

Although if any of those software issues are battery-related, there may BE no real solution.
post #10 of 35
Quote:

A new report out of the Far East suggests that a one month delay to Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet may have been a result of Apple booking up most of the available touch panel production capacity.

For its part, Apple is believed to have reserved a large portion of the world's available production capacity for touch screens with a $3.9 billion secret long-term investment. With over $50 billion in cash reserves, the iPad maker has been known to pre-pay for components in order to guarantee priority and favorable pricing.

Now we know why Steve Jobs insisted to introduce the iPad 2 earlier than all have expected to be..
post #11 of 35
I'm just curious why these companies make it so easy to make fun of them.

Why say anything at all?

Fact is: that Playbook is effectively DOA. I doubt they will actually "sell" more than 50,000. Giving them away to their strategic partners and enterprise, in the hopes that they will find a use, integrate, and write programs for them... does not count.

How soon will it be after launch that we will hear they are already working on Playbook 2, and that they have to "re-think their strategy".

I mean seriously: DUH!... and embarrassingly laughable.

I stand behind my prediction, more so every day: RIM will be sold by the end of 2011... no later than Q1 2012.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #12 of 35
I don't expect every company to take it's cues from Apple's strategy, HOWEVER, some things they do quite well, such as:
  • keep their developments and research in-house and secret;
  • refrain from making claims about their devices BEFORE they make it to market, and let that market and it's customers decide whether it's good or not;
  • ignore the press, bloggers, and technorati... let their customers speak for them. Best advertising you can ever get, but can not buy: word-of-mouth;
  • have unwittingly created a "buzz-industry" and free PR around their products, due to all of the conjecture, guessing, and rumors... by saying absolutely nothing!. How downright clever is that?!
  • when they do need to make advertising and market their products, they show what it can do, why it's a clever choice (the old PC-Mac campaign), and dare I say "fun" to own;
  • their ads mirror their design-philosophy and aesthetics to top it off.

Why is it that no other firm today can figure that out, and make it work for them too?

The short list (above points) are now in B&W here at AI, so the "Marketeers" can't say they've never heard of this before.

They all do read AI Forums... don't they?
post #13 of 35
Apple has $50 billion in cash reserves? How did they lose $10 billion?
post #14 of 35
Seriously folks this isnt the LCD. You would think it would be a snap to set up a production line for panels. After all it is just glass and invisible wires.

As to RIM I had great hopes that they would actually come out with a sound alternative to iPad. Apple needs competition and Android is way to brain dead. Unfortunately it looks like RIM has a terrible kludge coming!!!
post #15 of 35
post #16 of 35
How silly. If it weren't for Apple, RIM wouldn't even be thinking about bringing out a tablet at any time.

Ha ha.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #17 of 35
Quote:

Judging by some of the other tablets out there, yes, they probably would have released it before software testing was done.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That’s what it sounded like to me too In reality, they probably wouldn’t have... which means they’d have been late to release regardless of whether Apple planned ahead better (and, you know... designed a tablet and OS sooner...)

Although if any of those software issues are battery-related, there may BE no real solution.

I hope for their own sake, that they bring it out before the iPad3 is available.

.... But then again, maybe they should rethink their price strategy
post #19 of 35
Ironically, I'm sure they actually needed the extra time to finish the software....not that it will make a difference in the long run.
post #20 of 35
Quote:

A new report out of the Far East suggests that a one month delay to Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet may have been a result of Apple booking up most of the available touch panel production capacity. ][/url][/c]

So, Apple deliberately ordered touch panels just to prevent Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet being released on time? Rather than, for example, because there was huge demand for Apple's iPad?

Would Apple ever do such a thing?

How does the video go?

SS Dr. Cook: I am afraid, mein Fuhrer, if we order enough iPad screens, it will mean the downfall of the Canadians .................
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

SS Dr. Cook: I am afraid, mein Fuhrer, if we order enough iPad screens, it will mean the downfall of the Canadians .................

You know that Steve Jobs' parents are Jewish, right?
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I thought Steve Jobs was American, from California, as were his adoptive parents. I believe his natural father was Syrian, and assume that he was a Muslim. I do not know or particularly care what religion any of them follow, nor did I intend, by reference to a long-running joke about a movie about Hitler, to make any reference to their religious beliefs or racial origins.

I might have been making a dig against Canadians, though ........
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I don't expect every company to take it's cues from Apple's strategy, HOWEVER, some things they do quite well, such as:
  • keep their developments and research in-house and secret;
  • refrain from making claims about their devices BEFORE they make it to market, and let that market and it's customers decide whether it's good or not;
  • ignore the press, bloggers, and technorati... let their customers speak for them. Best advertising you can ever get, but can not buy: word-of-mouth;
  • have unwittingly created a "buzz-industry" and free PR around their products, due to all of the conjecture, guessing, and rumors... by saying absolutely nothing!. How downright clever is that?!
  • when they do need to make advertising and market their products, they show what it can do, why it's a clever choice (the old PC-Mac campaign), and dare I say "fun" to own;
  • their ads mirror their design-philosophy and aesthetics to top it off.

Why is it that no other firm today can figure that out, and make it work for them too?

The short list (above points) are now in B&W here at AI, so the "Marketeers" can't say they've never heard of this before.

They all do read AI Forums... don't they?

You do remember "Think Different"?

The IBM/M$ method of selling stuff ("FUD", sell the vision ('longhorn')), combined with the .Com marketing methodology ("Sell the Sizzle", buzzword, sell the meme), is the 'think like the herd' mentality.

With two CEOs and 3 COOs, you know that RIM must conform to the lowest common denominator of leadership. With Apple, you've got Steve ("This is what we delivery"), and Tim ("This is how we deliver").

As for supply... of course suppliers are beholden to Apple. When Tim says, "you'll supply us X on Y date, with an option for Z more, and we'll PAY UP FRONT, with a breach of contract clause that basically will eliminate your ability to breed if you fail to delivery," suppliers will not disrupt that supply chain. RIM can only wait for the scraps, and/or hope that Apple doesn't exercise it's option for Z. iPad2 sells like hotcakes...

One would wonder if the discounting of the iPad1 were executed to artificially trigger the 'Z' clause, to consume the supply, to drive up costs for competitor and/or delay their delivery into the market. Since their Margins are so great, because they control more of the value delivery, Apple can flirt with non-competitive practices, but still point to the fact they did in fact make a profit on every unit they sold (no loss leaders to drive out competition). As they say at Guinness... "Brilliant"
post #24 of 35
Looking forward to what Walt says about it. Although I don't think Walt's opinions deserve to carry the weight they do.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL I love it when people keep secrets on the Internets. Nobody will possibly see that!

Especially $3.9 billion secrets!

Seriously though, how hard could it be to scrape up a hundred or so panels*? I don't see them needing a whole lot more than that!

*Not including the number needed for all RIM employees who will be forced to lug one of these around in public...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Looking forward to what Walt says about it. Although I don't think Walt's opinions deserve to carry the weight they do.

I'm sure Mr. Disney would approve.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Now we know why Steve Jobs insisted to introduce the iPad 2 earlier than all have expected to be..

Apple is known to follow their own schedule. Last year they had to announce early because the FCC had to approve the device and that process is public info. They also had to give plenty of time for that approval to happen because they had announcing and then delaying for any reason. But March might be the time they wanted to release it in general and thus this year they did.

As for all this talk about displays and RIM being delayed. The answer is simple. Apple made their contract first with the suppliers who choose to focus on Apple completely. So RIM et al would have to settle for after Apple got all of their purchased displays. And then a freaking earthquake hit which screwed everything up for the last month, including perhaps production to fulfill that contract. Even without the contract RIM would likely have had to delay because the company would likely be busy with other things like getting their electricity working again, making sure their staff are alive and have places to sleep etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

One would wonder if the discounting of the iPad1

was done after the ipad 2 was announced and was done for one reason and one reason only. To sell out the remaining stock on an item that had already ceased production (said lines being used for the ipad 2). They, and most other companies with any sense, do the same thing with all products. Which is why sites like this post article after article about this or that product's supply drying up and places like Best Buy being told they can't order more. It's a giant arrow pointing right at "new models coming really soon"

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm sure Mr. Disney would approve.

That's great! Can't tell if you're ignorant beyond redemption or being super-sly!

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

How silly. If it weren't for Apple, RIM wouldn't even be thinking about bringing out a tablet at any time.

Ha ha.

That's an interesting point.

One wonders why RIMM would choose a revolutionary upheaval (corporate and technological) to enter a new and unproved marketplace -- as opposed to a less disruptive evolutionary path to improve the products in a marketplace that they already serve.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off -- I, suspect not!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post

Ironically, I'm sure they actually needed the extra time to finish the software....not that it will make a difference in the long run.

...Tonnage Takes Time!
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm just curious why these companies make it so easy to make fun of them.

Why say anything at all?

Fact is: that Playbook is effectively DOA. I doubt they will actually "sell" more than 50,000. Giving them away to their strategic partners and enterprise, in the hopes that they will find a use, integrate, and write programs for them... does not count.

How soon will it be after launch that we will hear they are already working on Playbook 2, and that they have to "re-think their strategy".

I mean seriously: DUH!... and embarrassingly laughable.

I stand behind my prediction, more so every day: RIM will be sold by the end of 2011... no later than Q1 2012.

You CAN'T have it both ways --- by saying that the Playbook is delayed due to Apple buying all the LCD capacity AND then simultaneously saying that the Playbook is only going to selling at a "token" volume.

If RIM is going to sell a token volume of Playbooks to enterprise customers, then they would have zero problem sourcing token volume of LCD screens.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You do know that Jew isn't a race but a religion and that the Jews killed in Germany were actually native Germans who spoke German right?

Back to topic though I seriously doubt Apple had anything to do with this considering they don't do 7" screens and therefore would only really impact on the 10" devices.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Apple is so cool.....their way ahead of everyone.
post #34 of 35
Exactly
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #35 of 35
Have you ever seen little kids in a Easter egg hunt. They will quicky fill their basket then spend the rest of the time picking up the eggs they have dropped while their basket is over flowing.

This is how I see all these companies, they see Apple or anyone else make a little money, they slap together a crap product hype it up and expect it to sell.

They are like little children hence why so many CEO are going home like little children who don't Wana play anymore. Lol
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple reportedly caused display shortage that delayed RIM PlayBook 1 month
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reportedly caused display shortage that delayed RIM PlayBook 1 month