or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exploring hybrid e-ink-LCD displays with independent regions

Apple exploring hybrid e-ink-LCD displays with independent regions - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

2400 dpi? Have you looked closely at any printed material???

Plain text at 600 dpi black and white is perfect.

2540 dpi would equal 100 lines/mmabout the best photographic film can doand fine rotogravure printing can reproduce that exactly (they quote 2400, though). But of course, that's a small part of the publishing industry. I said 600 dpi was fine for an e-book reader. Of course, half-tone illustrations are going to be pretty badit really should be 1200 for that. There is more to books than plaintext, you know.
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

2540 dpi would equal 100 lines/mmabout the best photographic film can doand fine rotogravure printing can reproduce that exactly (they quote 2400, though). But of course, that's a small part of the publishing industry. I said 600 dpi was fine for an e-book reader. Of course, half-tone illustrations are going to be pretty badit really should be 1200 for that. There is more to books than plaintext, you know.

Well, OK, but the dpi on what most people associate with are common printers for the home. Most print though uses tricks to give a nice appearance.
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Not for a lot of them. For novels/non-fiction they are almost entirely text, which is what eink excels at.

And isn't project Gutenberg all .epub format? Not fancy HTML.
post #44 of 48
The challenge is the background. Traditional LCDs are black. E-ink are beige.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Most books use offwhite paper.
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post

The problem with this is that Dualmode LCD/Eink Displays already exist. So Amazon wouldn't have to worry about this patent if they wanted to make a dual mode device.

The PixelQI display is the one that comes to mind. Granted, it's not exactly like this patent. The point is that the technology exists already, so This patent applications shouldn't hinder development at all.

The new "Pearl" eInk technology found in the Kindle 3 and Kindle DX is VERY easy to read. Traditional books arn't white pages with deep black text. The contrast is softer than that. The New kindle screens are insanely easy to read, easier than a "real" book even, and a hell of a lot easier than any form of LCD.

Reading on the iphone isn't bad because of pixel density, but it's still prone to strain if you read it for long periods of time. For myself, I like reading in the early morning or at late night. I don't want my pages lighting up the room around me.

At this point i am as an Android user and Notion Ink Adam owner very interested in the fact that Apple tries to get a patent on something what already exists. Notion ink Adam features
normaly i would say Apple wil copy something again and call out that they got something that will change the world.... again and again and again.

What is there different in this patent than the patents from PixelQi exept from the country where it is dropped?
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I don't get that comment.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't get that comment.

Sorry, I was a but unclear.
I mean most colour LCDs appear pitch black when you switch off the power. In order to make an e-ink layer visible on top of an LCD that's shut off, there needs to be a solution to temporarily make the background of the e-ink panel bright, without affecting the quality of the LCD. This is probably possible with some technical wizardry, but I don't think it's widespread.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple exploring hybrid e-ink-LCD displays with independent regions
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple exploring hybrid e-ink-LCD displays with independent regions