or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7

Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7

post #1 of 84
The world's second largest PC maker Acer aimed at tapping into enthusiasm surrounding the iPad and MacBook Air with Iconia, its keyboard free, mobile touchscreen Windows PC notebook. The downside is that the product costs more than twice as much as the iPad and eats up a battery in less than three hours.

As profiled by Bloomberg, Acer's Iconia 6120 Touchbook runs Windows 7 using an Intel Core i5 CPU, packing the full power of a notebook.

Unlike a conventional notebook, it drops not just its optical drive but also its keyboard, resulting in a 14 inch tablet that users type on directly, similar to the iPad's glass surfaced virtual keyboard. The design won a top ten design award at its debut at the January Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

The hybrid device is priced at $1199.99, weighs 6.2 pounds and has a conventional hard drive (640 GB) and packs 4GB of RAM. That makes it an expensive, albeit limited duty and highly specialized Windows PC notebook and a very expensive but ostensibly more powerful iPad alternative.

Also like the iPad (and Air), Acer's Touchbook uses a non-removable battery. However, Bloomberg notes that the machine's "biggest drawback is the battery. The two touch screens suck power like a vacuum cleaner, and even Acers claim of three hours on a full charge may be on the high side if youve got the screens set to bright and are connected to a Wi-Fi network."

Acer's hybrid Touchbook sits in stark contrast to Apple's offerings, which are clearly delineated between the very simple, multitouch iPad and its mobile MacBook Air, which shares iPad technologies and features but maintains a conventional keyboard, trackpad and non-touch display. The 13 inch MacBook Air also aims at light portability, weighing just 2.9 lbs (1.32kg), less than half the weight of the Acer Touchbook. Apple's Air notebook line now standardizes on SSD for storage, trading speed for overall capacity.

Acer unveiled a series of mobile devices running Android and Windows 7 last fall, after predicting that Apple's iPad would rapidly lose its overwhelmingly dominant position in the tablet market and shrink to just 20 percent share as it was forced to complete with platforms that are not "closed."

Acer's initially successful netbook initiative was crushed by the appearance of Apple's iPad last year, suddenly stalling the company's rapid growth in 2010. After announcing intentions to "overhaul operations" in response to Apple's impact on the PC market, the firm's chief executive Gianfranco Lanci resigned late last month.
post #2 of 84
Train Wreck.
post #3 of 84
I find my 15" MBP to be too heavy at 5.6 pounds, so that thing is not in the MB air category at all.
post #4 of 84
Quote:
The world's second largest PC maker Acer aimed at taping into enthusiasm surrounding the iPad and MacBook Air with Iconia, its keyboard free, mobile touchscreen Windows PC notebook.

I think you meant tapping.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #5 of 84
Honestly... Do the Apple-competitors remotely have a distant clue? The only person that comes to mind buying this monstrosity and loving it is DaHarder.

What a waste of resources.
post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Honestly... Do the Apple-competitors remotely have a distant clue? The only person that comes to mind buying this monstrosity and loving it is DaHarder.

What a waste of resources.

*snicker* on so many levels.....
post #7 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I think you meant tapping.

No, they meant taping. Taping up all the groin pulls from lifting that thing.
post #8 of 84
I don't get it. Is it an iPad competitor? a MBA competitor? A MBP wannabe?

Acer should just call this the "Kitchen Sink" model. Your battery power even goes down the drain!
post #9 of 84
Consider this product DOA. They just do not get it.
post #10 of 84
How can a product be so much fail in one little box?

Quote:
weighs 6.2 pounds

Oh dear lord.

Quote:
3 hours battery life

Double fail.

Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Can I have some of what they're smoking?

Maybe a Core i5 isn't the most suitable tablet/netbook/THINGbook processor, eh?
post #11 of 84
Hum... So, it's a regular sub $500 laptop with another screen instead of a keyboard for more than twice the price?
Like a big Nintendo DS?
post #12 of 84
This doesnt compete with the ipad, their honeycomb tablet is the one that competes with the ipad. Why doesnt DED make a worthwhile comparison, rather than this retarded comparison?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

No, they meant taping. Taping up all the groin pulls from lifting that thing.

Not to mention the hazard to airport security people. The TSA screeners might die laughing when this engineering hermaphrodite shows up on their monitors.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #14 of 84
What a technological marvel. play a video on each screen and have 3D.

Seriously though, it might have a place on the Stargate set.
post #15 of 84
Only Apple haters with some serious dough burning in their pockets will buy this.

Not sure how they thought this would be a winner.
post #16 of 84
Horrible....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #17 of 84

The range of emotions I had reading the review of that POS. Funny stuff!
post #18 of 84
honestly, the idea is pretty neat. If it was a MBA or MBP with the dual screens with the same battery life and such then I feel it would be in line of things to come. But with the dismal battery life and price and such, it's just not gonna fly. However, for awhile it will give those diehard windoze lovers something they think they can brag about being cutting edge and or different. They will just have to do it while it's plugged in and they have a harness on.
post #19 of 84
It looks to me like they heard all the interest in the MS Courier and thought they could pull it off.

IF MS decides to scrap an idea, it probably isn't worth going after.

At least Courier looked like it would have a custom OS.
post #20 of 84
Actually what I find most puzzling is the reference to the iPad and the Air? I don't know if it's Acer itself that is making these comparisons or just AI. It seems to me that it's a complete stretch, this is a unique product (albeit one that probably has a pretty strong identity crisis). Unlike others, I don't blame Acer for trying something different, the biggest problem appears to be a lack of communication as to what the actual benefits of such a beast are. Folks who need to do multi-lingual inputting so having a purely dynamic keyboard can be a boon? I do a lot of video editing and the keyboard is infrequently used, something like this could be handy as I've often wished I had a lightweight LCD that I could physically attach to my MBP so I can run dual screens. And who knows what else.
post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

honestly, the idea is pretty neat. If it was a MBA or MBP with the dual screens with the same battery life and such then I feel it would be in line of things to come. But with the dismal battery life and price and such, it's just not gonna fly. However, for awhile it will give those diehard windoze lovers something they think they can brag about being cutting edge and or different. They will just have to do it while it's plugged in and they have a harness on.

I'm with you on this, I think as a concept, it looks pretty cool.

When it becomes possible to do the same thing a lot lighter and with better battery life (and, lets face it, without Windows), it strikes me as a pretty neat form factor.
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

I agree - treating this like a full sized product, the idea is interesting. I think even the price can be justified when you compare it to a MacBook Pro (which the specs imply it is close to). The main problems are the weight and battery life. And I think those would be just too much to justify, especially given it may be hard to find a reason to get this product as opposed to a normal laptop.
post #23 of 84
How is this a competitor to an iPad or an Air? It is completely different to both of them. Unless it's because they are all computers with an OS and screens, in that case they're identical. In that case a Range Rover is the same thing as a BMW Z4, they both have wheels and people fit inside them.
post #24 of 84
At least they won't have to worry about the shortage of touchscreens.
post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

This doesnt compete with the ipad, their honeycomb tablet is the one that competes with the ipad. Why doesnt DED make a worthwhile comparison, rather than this retarded comparison?

It depends on what comparison Acer is making. If they're comparing this to an iPad, then it's fair for DED to do so as well. But I don't know what Acer is saying about this as I've only seen a quick blurb about it before, and dismissed it as being impractical.
post #26 of 84
post #27 of 84
Heavy, poor battery life, overpriced.......this product just makes the Ipsd2 look even better. What was Acer thinking when they released this product?????

Enough said.

Aced R.I.P.
post #28 of 84
And this is why Apple as a company has no competition and will remain the most profitable tech company for decades to come. This is just the most clueless product ever produced by one of the many pc vendors out there.
post #29 of 84
I would love to see Flash running on both screens to see what the battery life is like. May require an external battery pack to keep this puppy running!! It even has wheels for the ultimate in power portability!!!

post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Like a big Nintendo DS?

You beat me to it. I was going to say:

"It's just a big iPod touch" Hmm... sounds familiar lol. Only unlike the 'big iPod touch', this one looks like it will maybe sell worse than Xoom.

Quote:
Do the Apple-competitors remotely have a distant clue?

It's becoming increasingly clear they don't. Why else would such a product make it further than a whiteboarding session?

In fact, almost none of Apple's competitors seem to get it. Look at the deluge of top-level brass among the competition that seem to be in a race to publicly embarrass themselves with comments that belie their failure to grasp the real underlying reasons for Apple's success and their own failure. Anyone who has been reading this site for a while knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not so much surprised anymore at DOA-product announcements, but I am wondering if and when anyone WILL finally figure out what it is about Apple that they need to actually compete with. It's not products, btw. I suspect it has more to do with the vision/values/culture/objectives at Apple of which their products are a function. That is the 'clue' they don't have. And they won't start to compete until they figure that out. The later it is that they do, the more distance they'll have to catch up.

I hope someone does get it though, because Real Competition will drive Apple to improve more and faster, which means we the consumers will benefit. I dislike Android, but it's the best thing to happen to iOS since SJ.

P.S. I wonder how long is the longest any iPad 2 has sat on a retail shelf during business hours. I'd bet it's mere minutes.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

- Gordon Hinckley

post #31 of 84
When I was working at the meatworks there was a 6 month old calf that had turned itself around in the race and wouldn't move forward.

I climbed down into the race to turn it around. It instead lifted me off my feet and slammed me into the door at the other end of the race.

All I'm saying is just because you think you can take on someone bigger than you it doesn't mean you should.

Acer is going to get slammed on this one.

NOTE: a six month old calf weighs quite a bit more than a 5.5' 55Kg weed of a kid and has a lot of power in its youth.
post #32 of 84
Quote:

he didn't make the comparison, he referenced a Bloomberg article that did. I'm not sure if Acer made the comparison or not, here's their official page on the product

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/iconiajmp

Is it just me, or does the Acer Ring remind anyone of this spoof

Perhaps they thought it was a real product?
post #33 of 84
They're not even the first to market with such an idea, they seem to have forgotten about the Toshiba Libretto W100 and its "limited availability":

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/libretto
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Train Wreck.

ditto
post #35 of 84
heh, I'd hate to see how the blue screen of death looks on both screens at the same time XD.
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

It looks to me like they heard all the interest in the MS Courier and thought they could pull it off.

Interesting they heard of the Courier but apparently weren't aware there was an iPad out there trouncing all the competition soundly.

I remember seeing Courier and thinking it was somewhat interesting, but consider this:
First Engadget story on Courier: Sep 22, 2009
iPad announced: Jan 27, 2010
iPad released: Apr 3, 2010
Courier confirmed and killed by MS: Apr 29, 2010

i.e., when I first heard of Courier, I thought it was cool because I hadn't seen a good tablet yet. Neither, apparently, had MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

IF MS decides to scrap an idea, it probably isn't worth going after.

this ^

- Gordon Hinckley

- Gordon Hinckley

post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

he didn't make the comparison, he referenced a Bloomberg article that did. I'm not sure if Acer made the comparison or not, here's their official page on the product

Just because some other idiot makes a comparison, doesnt mean DED has to continue the stupidity in his own article.
post #38 of 84
Quote:

I totally agree with your first sentence. I will add that this does not compete with anything but that project MS threw out.
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTudy View Post

heh, I'd hate to see how the blue screen of death looks on both screens at the same time XD.

Stereoscopic BSOD!

post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It depends on what comparison Acer is making. If they're comparing this to an iPad, then it's fair for DED to do so as well. But I don't know what Acer is saying about this as I've only seen a quick blurb about it before, and dismissed it as being impractical.

I have never seen Acer claim this is a competitor to the iPad. Now their tablet range, the honeycomb versions, they are marketing towards the ipad. They are bringing out hteir 10.1" honeycomb tablet (released locally 20th April) at exactly the same price as the ipad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7