or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone

Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone

post #1 of 55
As part of an effort to replace IT designated PCs and mobile phones with devices employees want, Clorox has dropped RIM's BlackBerry and workers have overwhelmingly selected iPhones instead.

According to a report by Compuerworld, the company stopped issuing BlackBerry phones and gave employees a choice between Apple's iPhone, Android models, or Windows Phone 7 smartphones.

Of the 2,000 smartphones the company has issued under the new plan, 92 percent are iPhones, while 6 percent picked Android and 2 percent chose a WP7 model.

RIM's BlackBerry has long been the corporate choice of IT managers, ostensibly because of its centralized management and security credentials. However, messaging had largely become a cloud service, making the device itself less important.

"We live in public cloud for mail and messaging," explained Clorox' chief information officer Ralph Loura. "I don't have to worry about security because I don't sync data to the iPhones. It remains in the cloud.

"My job is about how to be the chief risk officer, yet provide choice and flexibility. It's about putting apps and logistics in the cloud and pushing the user interface to the edge," he said.

Loura is also beginning an iPad pilot program, and notes that while nobody volunteers "take my laptop and replace with iPad," he does think it can be used to run cloud-based business apps.

"What I want [to do is] figure out how to take that business intelligence app or workflow app and figure out way to have it be accessed in an intuitive way from the iPad," he stated in the report.
post #2 of 55
92% sounds about right.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 55
If I were Clorox's employee, I'd be extremely happy to get an iPhone instead of a Blackberry, but if I were Clorox's management, I'd definitely ask my tech team to block every non-business related app from the employee's iPhones. Otherwise prepare to hire more people because efficiency is going to drop very quickly in the near future.
post #4 of 55
All Clorox employees are just delusional fanboys.
post #5 of 55
"Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone"

If anyone were to read the title only they would think the employees chose between iPhones and Blackberry's and 92% chose iPhones.

Wow. I guess it pays to actually read the article.
post #6 of 55
I assume most wanted white ones.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

If anyone were to read the title only they would think the employees chose between iPhones and Blackberry's and 92% chose iPhones.

no sarcasm, no offense, but is that not what happened? ie even reading the article, seems like out of 2000 so far, 92% were iPhones
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

no sarcasm, no offense, but is that not what happened? ie even reading the article, seems like out of 2000 so far, 92% were iPhones

No, that’s not what happened. The choice was between iPhone and Android (and iPhone and Windows), not iPhone and BlackBerry as the headline suggests. There WAS no BlackBerry choice at Clorox anymore. bcahill009 is right.
post #9 of 55
Smart employees.
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

No, thats not what happened. The choice was between iPhone and Android (and iPhone and Windows), not iPhone and BlackBerry as the headline suggests. There WAS no BlackBerry choice at Clorox anymore. bcahill009 is right.

Adding the word replacement to the title might have helped
post #11 of 55
Holy crap!

Meanwhile, in other news toilet paper deliveries to RIM HQ have increased!

Best
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

92% sounds about right.

Very dry...I love it!

PS. Best first post in awhile!

PSS. They should make a note in the personnel file of the 8%!
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

*lol* This was a good one. Very well done, digitalglips.
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

All Clorox employees are just delusional fanboys.

Your delusional because You just don't know, that next to the RIM, the iPhone is the safest device. A jailbroken iPhone beats every smartphone. Including all crapDROID Devices
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report by Compuerworld...

Who's "Compuerworld"?

I've never heard of them.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Very dry...I love it!

It'll be on their next performance evalutation as "needs improvement"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 55
Quote:

I don't get it?

Edit - Ah I see - BB was not one of the options going forward.

Isn't THAT news though? Why wouldn't they allow BB for at least continuity's sake?
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It'll be on their next performance evalutation as "needs improvement"

Yep! And it will be "Sent from (their Supervisor's) iPhone."

Best
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sounds like the iPhone really cleaned up.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Very dry...I love it!

That's PPS
post #21 of 55
Quote:

But, at the end of the day, it's still 2000 Blackberries that were replaced. Sure, it wasn't an active choice made, but there was still a choice of iPhone or Android over returning to RIM. So while the title may be a bit misleading, RIM is still losing footing in the business contract world.
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of the 2,000 smartphones the company has issued under the new plan, 92 percent are iPhones, while 6 percent picked Android and 2 percent chose a WP7 model.

Only 92 percent?!? Apple is DOOMED!
John
John
post #23 of 55
Well, this tells us what we knew. All other things equal, a large majority of people would much rather get an iPhone than anything else.

However, all other things are not equal. Carrier subsidy, and pushing of particular phones gives Android a much bigger leg up than if they had to compete on their own.

I would also venture to say that at this point, this is enough of a factor to continue extending Android's lead in the smartphone market.

Fortunately for Apple, the OS market isn't limited to smartphones. They still have no real competitors for the iPad, and nearly 4 years since its introduction, we are yet to see an Android competitor to the iPod Touch.
post #24 of 55
92% sounds about right. 6% of Clorox employees must be delusional fandroids who spend their time rooting their phone during work and 2% of Clorox employees apparently have deep mental issues.
post #25 of 55
Yes, the title is completely misleading. They dropped blackberry (for whatever reason) and they were only given the choice of iPhone, Android, or Win7. Between those choices, smart people. Wonder why they didn't offer BB any more?
post #26 of 55
Eh no big deal here. It's just Clorox.
post #27 of 55
I knew this story couldn't be believed. Whenever I hear a story about smartphones involving such high numbers, I am immediately suspicious. There is no way 8% of Clorox employees would have chosen a BlackBerry.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #28 of 55
Yes, Apple has won the hearts and minds of consumers and IT departments with the iPhone. However, the choice was between Win7, Android and iOS phones — not Blackberry phones as DED's headline indicates.

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for DED to get basic facts right. Can he please explain why accuracy in his "journalism" is so challenging?
post #29 of 55
Looks like a clean sweep for iPhone
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't get it?

Edit - Ah I see - BB was not one of the options going forward.

Isn't THAT news though? Why wouldn't they allow BB for at least continuity's sake?

I think that is the bigger story. Why wasnt the BB offered at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like the iPhone really cleaned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well, this tells us what we knew. All other things equal, a large majority of people would much rather get an iPhone than anything else.

However, all other things are not equal. Carrier subsidy, and pushing of particular phones gives Android a much bigger leg up than if they had to compete on their own.

I would also venture to say that at this point, this is enough of a factor to continue extending Android's lead in the smartphone market.

Fortunately for Apple, the OS market isn't limited to smartphones. They still have no real competitors for the iPad, and nearly 4 years since its introduction, we are yet to see an Android competitor to the iPod Touch.

I wish I could agree with you but there are plenty of unknowns here. We know they had three choices of modern mobile OSes: iOS, Android and WP7. What it doesnt specify are which devices there companies will be supporting. The most reasonable answer for iOS is the iPhone 4, but what capacity. I would assume 16GB. But what about the other devices?

I dont think the iPhone is an way in jeopardy of being lowered, and possibly could have an even farther device than the other options if we look at devices offered, but wed have to know what they were and what was chosen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for DED to get basic facts right. Can he please explain why accuracy in his "journalism" is so challenging?

Read his blog sometime. He thinks a Google employee tried to "silence" him by letting himself get hit by DED on his motorcycle.

Ever since then three Chrome logos keep spinning on top of his head.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Yes, the title is completely misleading. They dropped blackberry (for whatever reason) and they were only given the choice of iPhone, Android, or Win7. Between those choices, smart people. Wonder why they didn't offer BB any more?

That's really strange because according to Gartner they're all going to be on Win7 phones shortly. Well, maybe the next company where people get to choose will pick at least 50% Win7.

Hahaha... not!
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Yes, Apple has won the hearts and minds of consumers and IT departments with the iPhone. However, the choice was between Win7, Android and iOS phones not Blackberry phones as DED's headline indicates.

If you want facts, don't look to journalism or blogs - you'll probably actually have to look into things yourself. If you want an amusing place to watch fandroids freak out though, you've found it.

That said, the headline is really hilarious considering BB wasn't a choice...
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish I could agree with you but there are plenty of unknowns here. We know they had three choices of modern mobile OSes: iOS, Android and WP7. What it doesnt specify are which devices there companies will be supporting. The most reasonable answer for iOS is the iPhone 4, but what capacity. I would assume 16GB. But what about the other devices?

I dont think the iPhone is an way in jeopardy of being lowered, and possibly could have an even farther device than the other options if we look at devices offered, but wed have to know what they were and what was chosen.

I am a Blackberry employee and I am using Iphone!
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe Chlorox didn't want to pay for BES and the licence was up.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe Chlorox didn't want to pay for BES and the licence was up.

That is what I was thinking. Despite RiMs lowering of BES costs I can see many companies simply dropping it. I hope RiM gets it together soon because they seem to have horse in any race.
post #37 of 55
speaking as someone working in a large corprate IT dept I support users of Android, iphone and Win Mobile 6 (which is my company phone, my bosses choice not mine). I can tell you that the iphone is the easiest to manage and set up and support, Android requires a crazy app called touchdown to handle encryption of email and contacts - and requires users and/or support staff to input a serial key...insane but true. Windows Mobile phones constantly break, freeze crash and dont do basic things well like open office docs, yes, it is easier to work with a doc on the iphone than a win mo phone even tho for whatever reason, Apple hasn't enabled editing yet...and PDFs, the windows phone uses Adobe Reader, just like the desktop ui, its unusable.

Long story short, Android and Windows mobile are pathetic business phones, if you want a work phone, its BB or iOS, period. Blackberry still offers some good advantages, and a wider choice of form factors and carriers, and in my experience, connecting a phone to BES is easier than EAS. With bes, you just enter your email and PIN set by IT, with EAS, you have to input a server name, domain and such, and you also have to update your password every time you change it on the domain.

In my opinion, if it were a choice between BB and iPhone, it would be 60/40 or so - I use my work phone for email, texting the boss and coworkers, and calls, I dont want or need "apps" slowing that down, I love the iphone as a personal phone, but for work, give me a BB with a real keyboard any day.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #38 of 55
Dead in the water.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I knew this story couldn't be believed. Whenever I hear a story about smartphones involving such high numbers, I am immediately suspicious. There is no way 8% of Clorox employees would have chosen a BlackBerry.

Oh well, it'll all come out in the wash..
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's PPS

Yes. You're correct! Thanks!

Best
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone