or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New book reveals Apple's Steve Jobs was targeted for role of Google CEO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New book reveals Apple's Steve Jobs was targeted for role of Google CEO - Page 3

post #81 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

All Apple's patents are invalid? Sounds like you are just anti-patent. Are you a US national? If so, you are nuts. The U.S. patent system is what makes this country prosperous and has for the last 200 years. If you want to see what happens when you take the threat of a patent away from entrenched companies like Microsoft and Dell? Go check out Russia and China. If you like their system, you should move there.

Like most initiatives, it started out well, but now the examiners are not even following their own rules. It isn't a matter of right or wrong at this point, it is a matter of we are in the 21st century and patent guidelines need to be clarified, especially about the software part.

Quote:
As for the merits of your argument... The only prior art you supplied is a breakaway wire for a frying pan. What does that have to do with gestures? Nothing. Even if that patent is invalid (which it may or may not be), that has no bearing on the validity of the gesture patents. Obviously you know that, but you prefer arguments ad hominem.

The first one was an example of apple getting patents granted on prior art. The next ones are dubious due to the nature of the implementation. By definition since the various OSes use different programing languages their implementations will be different.

It "feels" fair to let apple have this patent, but it isn't supposed to be, not because it isn't fair, but the patent on software/equations leads to unpredictable and unenforceable results.

Quote:
You haven't provided any information what-so-ever about the gesture patents. You say that the patents claim algorithms. I doubt it. And, since you haven't provided the patent numbers we don't know what patents you are referring to (certainly the mag safe application isn't claiming algorithms).

You can look it up yourself.

Quote:
And lets just take a look at that mag safe prior art. The alleged prior art is for a breakaway power plug for a grease pan. Last I checked, Apple wasn't selling grease pans. If Apple claimed a breakaway cord for a computer, it would clearly be novel in light of this prior art. No patent office in the world would say the UL article anticipates a claim to a computer.

The claim being made is a magnetic power plug. Where it plugs into is irrelevant.

Quote:
I agree that the UL prior art raises questions of obviousness. Obviousness is always a tough call. The problem is that people have a tendency to use hindsight. Do you think it was obvious for Thomas Edison to use tungsten in a light bulb? Did you know that others were working on light bulbs at the time and that it was known that the problem was that the filament burned out too fast? It was also well known that tungsten is a refractory metal with a melting point of 6192 degrees F. Sounds pretty damn obvious to use tungsten to solve the problem with the filament burning out. With hindsight, everything looks obvious.

No, it wasn't obvious. It took many experiments. Again, it is easy to patent physical creations. In the realm of software where many inventions are taking place, it isn't so clear.

Quote:
As for mag safe, you were undoubtedly using computers when Apple filed its patent application and I'm sure you had on at least one occasion tripped over the cord. When you tripped, I'm sure the first thing through your mind was......"I sure wish Dell would use the power cords UL is recommending for grease pans." hmmmm, yes....that's what all of us were thinking for all those years we were tripping over those cords and watching our $2,000 machines smash on the floor.

Or they can use a simple breakaway cord like the Xbox did.

Quote:
If it was so damn obvious, why did no one else bother doing it before Apple. It must be that Dell and HP didn't think their customer's cared about their laptops smashing on the floor. And, if it was obvious but not important enough for anyone else to implement, then no one should have any problem granting Apple exclusive rights for a limited period of time.

You are correct and I feel the same way on the first point, since as I said above, it doesn't have to be a magnetic connector.

But the second point isn't relevant here. Apple took a piece of existing technology and put it to use on their power cords.

Quote:
Thanks, I will have a nice day because I live in a country where we grant patents for things like a mag safe cord so that companies like Apple have an incentive to innovate (and companies like Dell go down the crapper for failing to keep up). Make no mistake, the difference between Dell and Apple is not capitalism. Dell mastered the idea of taking market share by selling cheaper (i.e., capitalism). The difference between having a world ruled by Dell and one ruled by Apple is the patent system.

And now you've seen this same patent system being abused, day in and day out. The patent system is now not doing its intended function. Unlike apple, most don't have billions lying around to fend off frivolous lawsuits. This, is killing competition.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tania View Post

what? did you even look at the video? that was the form factor Google initially intended.

when the iPhone was demoed, Google obviously saw it as a better OS then a year later changed its own UI drastically to mimic the iPhone (A year of software development to create a new UI copied from Apple's iOS). Even a kindergarten kid can easily connect the dots. It's not that difficult you know.

jeez, you are so desperate in defending your flawed logic you deliberately ignore all the facts in front of you, and comes up with a really poor counter-argument. oh well, i'm not going to waste my time on you anymore.

happy trolling.

You won't answer my question because it requires you to admit you are wrong.

The G1's form factor came from an older HTC WinMob phone. Later on they came out with a keyboardless form factor. Even then, the UI, menu and other elements are not from Apple, and it excels in a few other areas as well. Both form factors are in use to this day.

In fact, the LG Prada was demoed first and made the iphone looked liked they copied from them. It just goes to show you, Apple isn't the only person who had a light go off to use a capcitive touch screen with icons.
post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

That your either disingenuous or clueless - which is it?

Bud, better re read your 1st post - it doesn't make any sense. If you can't see it, I feel sorry for you.

And for you putting up a link in your second post to me to the prototype android device, couldn't you be assed to see someone already posted it and made the point already?
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipt View Post

I might be on the fence about the search part...some of the results for the past....ohh several months at least are questionable.

There is opportunity for a search company to take no. 1 spot I think because of how poorly Google has been getting at search. Nevermind the fact that Google keeps signing me out of my email. I don't know what is going on over at Google, but maybe they are spreading themselves too wide or getting lazy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice Google's search results falling apart lately.

I've been using Bing as my primary search engine ever since Google turned their back on consumers regarding Net Neutrality, but I would sneak back to Google whenever I would try to search for something on Bing and didn't get a good result.

For the past few months, I've had to sneak back much less often. This is because Bing has gotten far better while Google has gotten worse. I don't know what it is, but I'm glad I made the switch when I did, or I'd be one angry Google user.
post #85 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You won't answer my question because it requires you to admit you are wrong.

The G1's form factor came from an older HTC WinMob phone. Later on they came out with a keyboardless form factor. Even then, the UI, menu and other elements are not from Apple, and it excels in a few other areas as well. Both form factors are in use to this day.

In fact, the LG Prada was demoed first and made the iphone looked liked they copied from them. It just goes to show you, Apple isn't the only person who had a light go off to use a capcitive touch screen with icons.

Please tell me you're not really this stupid. I mean, tell me it's all just an act you're putting on to see how big a blind troll you can be before you dust off your hands and say "Okay guys, I was joking. I'm not that stupid."
post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Please tell me you're not really this stupid. I mean, tell me it's all just an act you're putting on to see how big a blind troll you can be before you dust off your hands and say "Okay guys, I was joking. I'm not that stupid."

he's a troll. don't waste your energy on this one. didn't AI used to have an ignore this poster feature a while back?
post #87 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tania View Post

he's a troll. don't waste your energy on this one. didn't AI used to have an ignore this poster feature a while back?

Yeah, but it's hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Click on the user's name on the left hand side of any post, from the dropdown menu select "View Public Profile", then on the next screen click on the User List dropdown and select "Add to Ignore List".

Note that every time someone quotes them, you'll still see what they wrote. vBulletin hasn't found a solution to that yet.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #88 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Please tell me you're not really this stupid. I mean, tell me it's all just an act you're putting on to see how big a blind troll you can be before you dust off your hands and say "Okay guys, I was joking. I'm not that stupid."

Or you can actually look it up yourself and see similar features. Seriously.

Sure, it ran a flash based gui. But the overall concepts are right there, right to the bottom 4 buttons.

Or you can be a ignorant apple apologist who wear's glasses made by DED.
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yeah, but it's hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Click on the user's name on the left hand side of any post, from the dropdown menu select "View Public Profile", then on the next screen click on the User List dropdown and select "Add to Ignore List"..

hey thanks for the tip. it only collapsed the post though, i was hoping it would completely be hidden. still beats than not having the option at all. again, thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New book reveals Apple's Steve Jobs was targeted for role of Google CEO