or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple's Final Cut Pro update rumored to add iPad, Thunderbolt support

Apple's Final Cut Pro update rumored to add iPad, Thunderbolt support - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahnguy View Post

My brother is a diehard Apple guy, but he, along with a lot of other people apparently, are basically giving Apple this final shot to fix a lot of FCP's limitations, or they're going to fully move over to Adobe's offering. (I can't remember the name of heir FCP equivalent, and I'm too lazy to look it up) Tuesday can't come soon enough!

I doubt Apple wants to go after the Adobe Premiere users. If they serious about the Pro market, they're chasing after Avid users.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I doubt Apple wants to go after the Adobe Premiere users. If they serious about the Pro market, they're chasing after Avid users.

Except that Premiere has the best handling of 7D and 5D files of any edit software. They worked directly with Canon to understand how to best handle the files natively. Something FCP doesn't do - yet.
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

You can use this feedback facilities here at feedback: FCP

That's great, thank you.

Hope I didn't come across like I was complaining about everything to do with FCP, I think it's great.
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exactly. If anything, they'll use the iPad as a control surface. It eliminates clumsy key commands and allows gestural input.

I think so too. iPad as a visual control surface will be very handy. The only bad thing about touch screen surfaces is that you have to look at the surface to be precise. You need to look at the surface, touch it, then look at the screen while dragging to see the changes, then look at the surface again etc. A lot of looking up and down and up again. Hardware buttons and screws you can operate blindfolded. But still it'd be much appreciated to have a dedicated control surface. Very neat.
post #45 of 67
So, Thunderbolt is all about video transfer. Nice, bring it.
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think so too. iPad as a visual control surface will be very handy. The only bad thing about touch screen surfaces is that you have to look at the surface to be precise. You need to look at the surface, touch it, then look at the screen while dragging to see the changes, then look at the surface again etc. A lot of looking up and down and up again. Hardware buttons and screws you can operate blindfolded. But still it'd be much appreciated to have a dedicated control surface. Very neat.

I understand what you are saying about looking up at the screen (to see the modifications) and down at the iPad (to see the controls).

I was using microcomputers for 5+ years before the Mac came out. The indirection caused by the mouse felt really strange and took some getting used to.

A touch pad or a graphics tablet has a similar level of indirection that takes getting used to.

What makes indirection easier is a little hint shown on the computer display -- the cursor or brush.

It doesn't really matter where the mouse is positioned on the desktop -- it's where the cursor is shown on the computer display.

Now, take that same concept and expand it to 10 multitouch points on a tablet:

If you placed both hands on the tablet -- you could see 10 hints (cursors, fingertips, whatever) on the computer display.

That would be OK, but confusing and not too usefull.

But there are other possibilities -- here's one:

1) Place 1 finger of one hand anywhere on the tablet -- this connects to the cursor, wherever it is currently positioned on the computer display
2) move around as normal
3) Place all 5 fingers of the other hand anywhere on the tablet -- a semitransparent set of sliders appears off to the side of the computer display.
4) The spacing pf the sliders is customized to fit the hand on the tablet and each finger is connected to an individual slider.
5) you can slide the fingers together or lift 2-4 fingers to deal with individual controls.
6) The UI knows which fingers are on the tablet and which are not -- denoting the active sliders.
7) The UI can determine when a finger, not on the tablet, is placed on the tablet (and which one) -- and activate the associated slider
8) as long as 1 of the original 5 fingers remains on the tablet the associated slider "heads-up" remains on the computer display -- with active sliders highlighted.

Here, we have used the tablet as a touch surface with no need to show anything on its screen -- the operative display is the screen on the computer.

Currently we use a few fingers on one hand (on the keyboard) in combination with a few fingers of the other hand (on the mouse) to manipulate and control a complex UI like FCP

With the iPad, the possibility of using all 10 fingers opens a lot more possibilities -- more combinations, shortcuts, etc,

But, rather than more (and more complex) short cuts, there is a better way -- gestures.

If the FCP application is made "gesture-aware" we can easily do things with simple gestures that are cumbersome and contrived with a kb/mouse.

Pinch/zoom a scene or a time line, for example -- is more natural with the fingers.

I am not suggesting that you need to remove the established kb/mouse interface and unlearn habits -- rather add gestures and use them where the can improve efficiency and workflow -- and learn better, more-efficient habits.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #47 of 67
Are there any Thunderbolt devices actually for sale yet? Not "seen in a demo at a trade show" but no kidding shipping product?

- Jasen.
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Except that Premiere has the best handling of 7D and 5D files of any edit software. They worked directly with Canon to understand how to best handle the files natively. Something FCP doesn't do - yet.

Yes - and the Mercury Playback Engine is a godsend on my 3 year old iMac
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Way to use the two most over-used business/life/technology quotes ever uttered.

How 'bout:

...to skate to where the faster horse is?

post #50 of 67
Congrats to all you FCP users on the new update. We iWork fans are still waiting.

I hope that FCP suite doesn't just bring new media creation tools, but adds a focus on media distribution.

We all know the web is the future of TV distribution and Apple really has no love for Big Cable.
The question is: Can Apple find a way to make AppleTV-only channels profitable?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

No, this line of reasoning encourages having something with a touchscreen (e.g. an iPad as a remote control unit), not necessarily the computer itself. It's not like in the past we all touched the screen.

Yeah, the iPad (e.g. tablet) that all Mac fans were against Apple making.
post #52 of 67
So real question is, when will they update the website? The show does not begin until 7:00 PM, which would mean it will likely last for an hour or two. Apple updating it's Final Cut Pro website at 9:00 PM? Not likely. Wondering if we see an update on the site tomorrow or Thursday?
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So real question is, when will they update the website? The show does not begin until 7:00 PM, which would mean it will likely last for an hour or two. Apple updating it's Final Cut Pro website at 9:00 PM? Not likely. Wondering if we see an update on the site tomorrow or Thursday?

Is the presentation just a preview for release sometime later? If so the website won't be updated.
post #54 of 67
Quote:

Is the presentation just a preview for release sometime later? If so the website won't be updated.

I don't know but I doubt people will be made to sign an NDA when they attend the presentation. Sometimes Apple will post up a "Preview" page of what's to come. In fact I think they did that with Final Cut Studio 3 before it was released.
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I don't know but I doubt people will be made to sign an NDA when they attend the presentation. Sometimes Apple will post up a "Preview" page of what's to come. In fact I think they did that with Final Cut Studio 3 before it was released.

Let's assume a couple of things:

1) Apple will show a "Preview" of the new Final Cut
2) the basic system will have equivalent function as FCS ($999)
3) the New FCS replacement will cost $333 through the Mac Store
4) the New FC will require features in Lion and/or QTX
5) The New FC will not be available until June

I believe Apple will:

1) Immediately reduce the price of FCS to $333
2) allow any recent (last 30 days) buyers of FCS a refund
3) from last 30 days on -- anyone buying FCS will get a free upgrade to New Final Cut

They can change the Apple Site and Store, overnight, to reflect this.

post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe Apple will:

1) Immediately reduce the price of FCS to $333

Why that price? Why not $299, $349, $499, etc.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why that price? Why not $299, $349, $499, etc.

because most people will buy 2

post #58 of 67
Anyone find a live blog of the FCPUG SuperMeet?

Someone at MR posted the following:

It is a Live Blog in French:

Supermeet live sur Final Cut MTL

I'll watch it even though Ich verstehe nicht französisch -- but then, does anyone really understand French?

post #59 of 67
The Supermeet site has this:

Quote:
The Final Cut Pro User Group Network is excited to have a very special guest presentation at the 10th Annual Las Vegas FCPUG SuperMeet. Come to see a surprise sneak peek at something very special - you really do not want to miss this one!

so "sneak peak" doesn't sound like a shipping product. I agree with Dick, it will probably ship in June. FCP sales are such that Apple doesn't have to worry about taking a hit to the bottom line by pre-announcing a big upgrade a ways out, and they can also always offer free upgrades for anyone buying over the next couple of months.

I hope Apple puts up details on their website as soon as the cat is out of the bag. I don't mind gleaning what I can from press releases or live blogs, but nothing beats a thorough description with demo videos from Apple.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

FCP sales are such that Apple doesn't have to worry about taking a hit to the bottom line by pre-announcing a big upgrade a ways out, and they can also always offer free upgrades for anyone buying over the next couple of months.

Plus, between now and June there could be updates to MacPro systems. I.E. Thunderbolt.
post #61 of 67
Quote:

Plus, between now and June there could be updates to MacPro systems. I.E. Thunderbolt.

Or iMacs. With Thunderbolt external storage an iMac makes a great FCP station. A well turned out 27" compares well with a base tower for about a grand less (not to mention the nice 27" screen for "free"). It's not as expandable, but Thunderbolt makes that less of an issue than ever.
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Or iMacs. With Thunderbolt external storage an iMac makes a great FCP station. A well turned out 27" compares well with a base tower for about a grand less (not to mention the nice 27" screen for "free"). It's not as expandable, but Thunderbolt makes that less of an issue than ever.

Exactly the editing station I am looking to build to order once the new iMacs come out.

Here's to hoping they come out sooner rather than later. I would rather buy a new iMac with Thunderbolt today and the current version of Final Cut Studio then have to buy the new Final Cut Studio today without the new iMac. I would hope that new iMacs are just around the corner. All this new Thunderbolt gear at NABB and they expect people to just use it on a MacBookPro? I surely hope not.
post #63 of 67
Quote:

Nobody cares, Premiere being best able to handle 7D and 5D doesn't matter a damn to the vast majority of the market, who use Avid. If Apple wants to increase market share, their best bet is to go after Avid. Avid is everywhere, Premiere is footnote by comparison.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #64 of 67
Quote:

Really? I have no problems using 7D files in Final Cut Pro.
post #65 of 67
So the live blog is live, in French. Anyone here speak French? I'm dying to find out what the news is.
post #66 of 67
Here's an English language live blog of the event.
post #67 of 67
My suspicions about special Thunderbolt features or support being BS might be well-founded:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/w..._campaign=feed

Quote:
Also, contrary to some rumors, I spoke with Apple engineering about Thunderbolt. This is a system level I/O connection. If your Mac has it, ANY version of FCP – or any other Mac application – will take advantage of it.

This is a preview though, so there is still a chance some currently unrevealed concept will show up in the release.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple's Final Cut Pro update rumored to add iPad, Thunderbolt support