or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Winning!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Winning!"

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
This isn't really political, but it could be depending on how the thread goes. I thought it might be fun if we could share some stories where we have personally had that "winning" feeling. This could be a victory over a company that we're dealing with, outsmarting a teacher/professor/colleague/boss, getting out of a traffic ticket, etc. I always enjoy that "SDW=1, Big Annoying Corporation/Government/Stupid Person=0" feeling.

I'll get it rolling: Recently, I spent 6 months fighting with Verizon over my FiOS bill. I downgraded my service to get rid of the phone last June. They first billed me at the wrong rate by not bundling my service after the downgrade. That took two calls to fix. They also made me sign up for a two years contract to get the price they quoted me originally (I was an existing customer). Then they started charging me up to $400 a month because of some "previous balance" that no one could explain. I e-mailed, called, talked to at least 10 different people....no one could explain it. They promised to fix it, call me back, etc. They never did. They went through my account with a fine tooth comb and saw I made my payments (then should have been about $165.00 a month) each month. I kept e-mailing, calling, writing letters, etc. They kept assessing late fees and interest on the "late previous balance."

Finally, I had enough. I contacted the FCC, FTC and BBB. About two weeks later, the FCC called me and verified the info, assigned me a case #, investigator, etc. Another week or so later I get a call from Verizon. Hmmmm. This person was not a customer service youngling...she spoke as if she had some authority (don't recall her title). She listened, apologized and said it was unacceptable as to how long it took. She asked how much this mythical previous balance was. I told her about $165.00. She said "well, I'll just round that up to $170 and credit you." No problems since! SDW=1. Verizon=2.

Any good stories?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This isn't really political, but it could be depending on how the thread goes. I thought it might be fun if we could share some stories where we have personally had that "winning" feeling. This could be a victory over a company that we're dealing with, outsmarting a teacher/professor/colleague/boss, getting out of a traffic ticket, etc. I always enjoy that "SDW=1, Big Annoying Corporation/Government/Stupid Person=0" feeling.

Any good stories?

That's a good story? You're still doing business with them. I'd have shown them the door.

I did the Century ride at the Tour De Palm Springs for the second year in a row. My bike of choice for this year was my 1980 Univega Viva Sport which I acquired by finding it on a curb while out jogging. I've actually ridden it quite a bit just because the ride is so nice on it. I've gone through it top to bottom and have put 1100 miles on it just riding it when the mood strikes me.

It gives the feeling of winning a couple different ways. First the initial investment on it was zero which means the return is infinity. Nothing beats infinity! Second it is winning because when something has so little risk involved, I don't sweat mistakes and thus it is perfect for learning on. I learned (perhaps relearned since I used to do more of this when I was ehem, younger) how to completely tune it using youtube videos and websites. Lastly it is just a lot of fun to take a steel lugged twelve speed monster with nail polish touch up paint and clamp on bottle holders and drop someone on a hill riding their $2500+ carbon fiber bike. It's even more fun riding past folks on the downhill side blasting along at 40+ mph on a curb bike. (The fastest I've had it is 46 mph!) I'm not going to claim I can beat everyone all the time and the bike and it's nature can't be denied when trying to keep up with newer and nicer bikes after say, 35-50 miles with me at my current training level, but for some stretches it's nice to see the raised eyebrows and dropped jaws.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

That's a good story? You're still doing business with them. I'd have shown them the door.

I did the Century ride at the Tour De Palm Springs for the second year in a row. My bike of choice for this year was my 1980 Univega Viva Sport which I acquired by finding it on a curb while out jogging. I've actually ridden it quite a bit just because the ride is so nice on it. I've gone through it top to bottom and have put 1100 miles on it just riding it when the mood strikes me.

It gives the feeling of winning a couple different ways. First the initial investment on it was zero which means the return is infinity. Nothing beats infinity! Second it is winning because when something has so little risk involved, I don't sweat mistakes and thus it is perfect for learning on. I learned (perhaps relearned since I used to do more of this when I was ehem, younger) how to completely tune it using youtube videos and websites. Lastly it is just a lot of fun to take a steel lugged twelve speed monster with nail polish touch up paint and clamp on bottle holders and drop someone on a hill riding their $2500+ carbon fiber bike. It's even more fun riding past folks on the downhill side blasting along at 40+ mph on a curb bike. (The fastest I've had it is 46 mph!) I'm not going to claim I can beat everyone all the time and the bike and it's nature can't be denied when trying to keep up with newer and nicer bikes after say, 35-50 miles with me at my current training level, but for some stretches it's nice to see the raised eyebrows and dropped jaws.

It's a good story because I won. The only other option is Comcast, which sucks more. As for your story, it's interesting but I am more thinking about wars with companies, local governments, etc.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It's a good story because I won. The only other option is Comcast, which sucks more. As for your story, it's interesting but I am more thinking about wars with companies, local governments, etc.

I had EXACTLY the same issue with Verizon FIOS when I dropped one room. I was no longer under contract, so the rep suggested I could save even more by re-upping for one year, and still doubling my download speeds. My $190 bill would go down to $135. After asking for verification at least twice, I gave the go-ahead. So what was my next bill? $315!! They added another room rather than dropping one. Like you I got "sorry, that's the price". They even refused my request to just go back to my old plan because it was grandfathered and no longer available. Four calls to different reps made no difference. So I contacted BB. Like you a Verizon service representative called the next day. But the best he would do is take $100 off my bill, split over the next three bills. My only out was to cancel altogether and pay the bill as sent, but no charge for "breaking the contract".

The next month I rec'd another bill for $5.07 as a late charge. I had actually paid the bogus bill 9 days before my normal due date. Verizon it seems had changed it when upgrading my service. Then another bill the following month for a mysterious two days of internet service supposedly not billed in Dec. of the year prior. . . 11 months prior!

So very long story short, another call to BB needed to finally get someone at Verizon to wash away the late charge and bogus internet services. I loved the FIOS dependability and speed. But their greed and lack of customer service prevents me dumping my inferior Brighthouse service and going back. They've lost me as a customer for good.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #5 of 5
I've been having a hell of a time picking colours for my room. After lots of sample pots though I've finally found the colours I think will work.

walls, baseboard and ceiling moulding- Estate Emulsion calluna

architrave, and framed panels- Dead flat pavillion blue

doors, shutters and window- Dead Flat cabbage white

Fireplace- Egg Shell Charlotte's locks

The ceilings are now stripped bare, which is how I'll keep them, they're varying tones of beige.


These are all Farrow and Ball colours and paints, which I like a lot. In the US the best paint I used was "Fine Paints Of Europe" very, very good paint, but expensive.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Winning!"