or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Health Police Continue to March...

The Health Police Continue to March...

post #1 of 18
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/e...,4567867.story

Another example of the government and government-related organizations going bonkers:

Quote:
At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

I don't see how this can be legal. First, students are forced to go to a public school. Now they are forced to eat the food served by the for-profit food vendor that most schools have in today's times? Does anyone see any similarities to jail, here? What's amazing is I can totally see these officials saying what they do with a straight face. I wonder if next, children will be required to sleep at school so they can have better sleep hygiene?

What do you think?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 18
Oh my, those trays look like prison trays, thats's disgusting to make someone eat out of one of those. I doubt the plastic is healthy either.

It's a terrible policy for sure.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Another example of the government and government-related organizations going bonkers:

I don't see how this can be legal. First, students are forced to go to a public school. Now they are forced to eat the food served by the for-profit food vendor that most schools have in today's times? Does anyone see any similarities to jail, here? What's amazing is I can totally see these officials saying what they do with a straight face. I wonder if next, children will be required to sleep at school so they can have better sleep hygiene?

What do you think?

You had my full support up until you said jail.

The policy is asinine. They should be handed their hats and shown the door.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You had my full support up until you said jail.

The comparison to jail might be a tad hyperbolic...but the evolution of schools with things like IDs, lock downs, "zero-tolerance" rules about "weapons" (e.g., plastic utensils for lunch) and "drugs" (e.g., aspirin) and now rules like this start making is much more like a regimented and restricted and strict rule-based environment similar to prison. Identical? No.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #5 of 18
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

The comparison to jail might be a tad hyperbolic...but the evolution of schools with things like IDs, lock downs, "zero-tolerance" rules about "weapons" (e.g., plastic utensils for lunch) and "drugs" (e.g., aspirin) and now rules like this start making is much more like a regimented and restricted and strict rule-based environment similar to prison. Identical? No.

Do they really make them eat with plastic utensils too?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Do they really make them eat with plastic utensils too?

If you are asking seriously, yes they do.

If you are being sarcastic, please look to you own topics and clean up your own act before hypocritically berating another poster over hyperbolic overage.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #8 of 18
Quote:

If you are asking seriously, yes they do.

If you are being sarcastic, please look to you own topics and clean up your own act before hypocritically berating another poster over hyperbolic overage.

lol noahj, I was being serious, not sarcastic.

Plastic trays and plastic cutlery must really instill a love of good food...now I am being sarcastic.
post #9 of 18
Quote:

lol noahj, I was being serious, not sarcastic.

Plastic trays and plastic cutlery must really instill a love of good food...now I am being sarcastic.

I could care less about the plastic trays and cutlery until you think about the waste of having to replenish the cutlery daily. Built in costs that never go away due to a stupid decision and then ends up in a landfill.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #10 of 18
Quote:

I could care less about the plastic trays and cutlery until you think about the waste of having to replenish the cutlery daily. Built in costs that never go away due to a stupid decision and then ends up in a landfill.

True, plus importing more oil to make the plastic.
post #11 of 18
Quote:

True, plus importing more oil to make the plastic.

You realize that plastic is basically a waste by-product of oil refining? Meaning that oil companies have found useful ways to use the "waste" products from producing the primary product. We don't pull oil out of the ground to make plastics...we pull oil out of the ground because its amazing energy content is useful for powering the many devices that make our world a better place. And we get other useful byproducts as a result of this.

post #12 of 18
No way my kids would eat that slop.
post #13 of 18
Quote:

What do you think?

I think they are concerned about the nutrition of the pupils in schools.This is important especially with obesity increasing in the United States and the junk food these kids are consuming everyday. Are you telling me education is forced upon you? Go to a poor country and they do not give a dam about education at all. I see it a lot where I use to live.Pathetic indeed.This is not jail at all. Freedom we call this!
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That's exactly what I mean. I didn't mean it was identical. I asked if it reminded anyone of jail.
post #15 of 18
Quote:

Many schools use plastic utensils...mine does.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I think they are concerned about the nutrition of the pupils in schools.This is important especially with obesity increasing in the United States and the junk food these kids are consuming everyday. Are you telling me education is forced upon you? Go to a poor country and they do not give a dam about education at all. I see it a lot where I use to live.Pathetic indeed.This is not jail at all. Freedom we call this!

Educating children about nutrition (and even educating parents) is a good thing. Forcing them to eat school lunches is not. It's not the school's job to ensure children are not obese. The ultimate responsibility there likes with the parents.

And yes, education IS forced on you. Education is compulsory until age 16 in most cases. Moreover, the vast majority of localities to not have school choice. As this seemed like a poor neighborhood, parents probably don't have the resources to afford private school or even home-schooling.

Look at the similarities to prison. Forced attendance. Unable to eat outside food. Put in small rooms all day and held to a strict schedule. Limited exercise and social time. Not all schools are like this (by far), but it's a worth comparison.
post #17 of 18
Quote:

That's exactly what I mean. I didn't mean it was identical. I asked if it reminded anyone of jail.

I probably wasn't very clear. I'm with you on this.

post #18 of 18
Quote:

Many schools use plastic utensils...mine does.

I am not saying they don't. I was responding to Hands question.
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Health Police Continue to March...