or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New dictionaries, multiple word views, multitouch lookups
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New dictionaries, multiple word views, multitouch lookups - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all these improvements in 10.7, but they seem paltry and somewhat trivial in comparison to Snow Leopard and the strides iOS has made. Or maybe in terms of what AppleInsider has shown, which I do appreciate nonetheless, but they seem... minor.

Have you tried GarageBand for iPad? My God, it's full of stars...! Er, I mean, it's pretty damn nifty, some of that OS X talent definitely got shunted towards GarageBand for iPad.
post #42 of 58
If you want proper english here is some:

"Hwæt. We Gardena in gear-dagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon."

Anything else has been corrupted by french, bastardized by vowel-shifting, clever writers, and inconsistent pronunciation.
post #43 of 58
I am saving my pennies to upgrade to Lion thus summer because it has a dictionary!!!! Plus, who needs Rosetta anyway?
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Geez, everyone's getting their political panties in a bunch.

English translation: knickers in a knot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

The DEFAULT language is English and if I use "colour" it underlines it as being wrong. Therefore I am FORCED to change it to British English which is natural for me.

Damn, that is a shame!
post #45 of 58
Does anyone know whether this new version supports viewing the search history for words looked up in the dictionary?
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_r View Post

Does anyone know whether this new version supports viewing the search history for words looked up in the dictionary?

The only option for history is to click and hold the back or forward button to see other words youvelooked up since youve opened the app. That would be a great feature to have.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would be a great feature to have.

Yes it would, especially for people who use it frequently, and rely on it as a "language learning tool".
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope youre being cheeky for comedic sake, though I agree that the American way is less natural. I have been using 12-APR-2011 format for years for that reason. Were talking day, month, year in that order.

Ive tried to find out why the smallest of the units was placed between the others but I couldnt find any data on it.


Thre are plenty of plugins for Apples Dictionary app.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ictionary.html

To write month/day/year follows the speech pattern. When you say a date, don't you usually say month-day-year in that order? May 5th, 2011.

So why doesn't the rest of the world write it as they say it? (Maybe they do ... depending on their language.)

To avoid all confusion with my int'l friends, I write it 05 May 2011 like we did in the military.

The real question is why do the Brit insist on driving on the left side of the road when the rest of Europe and most of the rest of the world drive on the right side!
post #49 of 58
Anybody know how to put the figures at the bottom of the finder windows telling you how much memory is left and how many things are in the window???

I really miss that and it is valuable info!!
post #50 of 58
It's definitely interesting to see how applications that have a 'look up word' feature enabled change between when you run them in Snow Leopard in Lion. It's... different. I can't really say whether or not I like it, but it's definitely a change and that'll probably be enough to make other people whine about it.
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

Anybody know how to put the figures at the bottom of the finder windows telling you how much memory is left and how many things are in the window???

I really miss that and it is valuable info!!

Yes, you're certainly a developer...

It's in the View menu.

Please buy Lion when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

It's definitely interesting to see how applications that have a 'look up word' feature enabled change...

In what way do the applications change?

The Cocoa modal popup has changed (and is now gorgeous), but I doubt the applications themselves have changed.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what way do the applications change?

The Cocoa modal popup has changed (and is now gorgeous), but I doubt the applications themselves have changed.

I don't have both OSs side by side at the moment to compare, but one example is a writing application I use called Scrivener. When you right-click a word and do "Look Up in <whatever>" under Lion, it pops up in a little bubble and seems much more closely integrated into the application; as a matter of fact, I thought it was a Scrivener feature because I started using it on a Lion DP machine first. Then I reverted one machine for work purposes, put Scrivener on it too, right-clicked a word, and a complete separate window with a few tabs popped up with information. And I could be wrong, but I think there might be an option or two for information sources missing under SL compared to Lion. So there's a presentation change, a change in the visuals that are a part of said presentation, and perhaps even a change in what's being presented but I can't confirm. If I remember, I'll grab the crappy laptop later and screencap Scrivener under 10.6.8 and 10.7 GM for comparison.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

I don't have both OSs side by side at the moment to compare, but one example is a writing application I use called Scrivener. When you right-click a word and do "Look Up in <whatever>" under Lion, it pops up in a little bubble and seems much more closely integrated into the application; as a matter of fact, I thought it was a Scrivener feature because I started using it on a Lion DP machine first. Then I reverted one machine for work purposes, put Scrivener on it too, right-clicked a word, and a complete separate window with a few tabs popped up with information.

Yes, that's the modal popup that appears system-wide on all applications written in Cocoa.

That modal popup is in Snow Leopard, too. It just looks terrible.

The default action on right-click lookup is to open Dictionary in Snow Leopard, but apparently it's that popup in Lion. Nice. But I still double-click with three fingers to do the same thing; it's easier.

If I remember correctly, and l likely don't, it's Command+Shift+D to get Snow Leopard's popup.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

I'm not really sure the "[British]" addition was really necessary for the English dictionary. After all, there's a reason the language is called English.

Its necessary because all of the other English speaking nations use a version closer to the British/International standard. Furthermore, most non-English speaking non-South American countries who offer English as a second language use it.
post #55 of 58
I like the new feature but I wish there was a away to re-sort the Dictionary item further up like every other search category. I use it a lot as a thesaurus and got so used to it being up top. Now its a pain having to click all the way down there.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyoneson View Post

I like the new feature but I wish there was a away to re-sort the Dictionary item further up like every other search category. I use it a lot as a thesaurus and got so used to it being up top. Now its a pain having to click all the way down there.

Uh, WHAT? The dictionary is the first result by default and can't be reordered down at all...

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #57 of 58
"And yes, it originated in England, but its worldwide importance is due primarily to America."

Rubbish.

There are 4 times as many Indians as Americans.

And given the 15 official languages (and many other dialects) how do you think they'd communicate in parliament or higher education without English?

Likewise the former African colonies.

Idiotic comment.
post #58 of 58

Anyone know how to get the British English dictionary and thesaurus back into OS8 and 9?

 

When you compared the American and British thesauri, the British one would quite often have more synonyms, but never less.

 

Why should British users be punished simply because Americans obviously tend to have a smaller vocabulary.

 

I mean, Apple has this data, why can't it make it available, either in the OS (as a check box option if they insist) or even download a plug-in from the app store?

 

Or why not just give the full GB thesaurus to American users - they might learn something,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New dictionaries, multiple word views, multitouch lookups