or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bizarre lawsuit connects Apple, US presidents, Oprah Winfrey in conspiracy

Bizarre lawsuit connects Apple, US presidents, Oprah Winfrey in conspiracy

post #1 of 72
Apple is one of dozens of defendants named in a new bizarre lawsuit that seeks a whopping $75 billion in return for claims of civil rights violations, conspiracy and fraud, to name a few.

The wild accusations from David Louis Whitehead of Bossier, La., are included in a 99-page complaint filed this month in a U.S. District Court in the Western District of Arkansas. Apple is included among a long list of defendants including numerous judges, U.S. presidents, Hollywood studios, celebrities and banks.

Apple's exact role in Whitehead's elaborate tale is unclear, but "Apple Computer Inc." is listed as a defendant that is alleged to have engaged in "outrageous and reckless and extreme acts against the plaintiff, with the massive theft of the plaintiff's copyrighted works, grossing millions if not billions of dollars."

The plaintiff believes much of that money was made as a result of talk-show host Oprah Winfrey, who is accused of promoting "several film projects" based on original writings by Whitehead.

Apparently a prolific writer, Whitehead has penned books, scripts and plays about a broad range of topics. For example, the subject matter of the Iran-Contra affair was apparently covered in his play "The Big Bad Wolf vs. Miss Little Red Riding Hood - The Mike Tyson Story." That fictional play features President George H.W. Bush "going after" boxer Mike Tyson after he makes "racial comments about America." Whitehead believes the elder Bush decided to target him after his play was published.

Whitehead has a long legal history in which he has filed countless lawsuits, many of which are cited in the latest complaint. He also believes that a number of presidents -- including Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama -- have appointed judges to sabotage his relentless pursuits through the U.S. court system.

His latest lawsuit alleges that the film "Wag the Dog" infringed on Whitehead's college paper "International Law Regarding the Use of Force and Collective Security: A Comparative Analysis of the Korean and Persian Gulf Wars." Whitehead also claims the concept for the comedy "Austin Powers" was stolen from his original script "A New World." Actor Mike Myers is included in the suit.

Whitehead also believes his original work "God vs. Satan" was stolen by Mel Gibson and Twentieth Century Fox for the film "The Passion of the Christ." And he says rapper Sean "P. Diddy" Combs's idea for the fragrance "I Am King" was taken from his original play entitled "Erykah Badu in Paris With Momma Voodoo."

Also named in the suit are James Cameron, Tyler Perry, Microsoft, Sony, Harvard and Georgetown universities, the Walt Disney Company, Bank of America, Wachovia Bank, Black Entertainment Television, Comcast, and Viacom, to name a few. Whitehead has requested a trial by jury, $5 billion in compensatory damages, and $75 billion in relief.

As a major corporation, Apple is frequently the target of a number of lawsuits, legitimate or otherwise. "Regardless of merit, responding to such claims can consume significant time and expense," the company revealed in its annual Form 10-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in 2009.

In 2009, Apple was hit with a bizarre lawsuit that accused Apple and actress Sarah Jessica Parker of stealing the concepts and names for the iPod and iPhone in the 1980s. That same year, a man alleged in court that Apple conspired with the Italian mafia to secretly track him and transmit threatening messages to his iPod.
post #2 of 72
Oh America, you're so funny sometimes.
post #3 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrett101 View Post

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo KAY. Wow

Seems like you hear about one of these kooks every 5 or 6 months. Just suing a crapload of people. Amazing.
post #4 of 72
...and this will continue until this country does something to penalize those who file frivilous lawsuits. If he loses, he should be forced to pay for court costs for the defendants.
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrett101 View Post

I don't see where America filed this.
post #6 of 72
the only way to stop this crap is to make the loser pay.

force the parties to the law suit to show adequate assets in the event they lose.
post #7 of 72
This is what you get when you have more lawyers in Michigan alone than in all of Japan...
post #8 of 72
Ah! Just the moment of levity needed on a Wednesday afternoon! Anyone else notice that he couldn't even spell the President's first name correctly?
post #9 of 72
This article is a waste of photons, and only feeds the narcissistic craziness of the plaintiff.

It's not news that crazy people like to file bizarre lawsuits.
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I don't see where America filed this.

See reply #4 above you. This kind of crap doesn't occur anywhere else in the world, or at least no where near as frequently. They'd be committed somewhere else in the world, but heaven forbid we treat them as a crazy here.
post #11 of 72
He must be representing himself. I pity the fool who becomes his lawyer.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #12 of 72
lulz. Someone get this guy some medication. Involuntary commitment, anyone?

C
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Whitehead also believes his original work "God vs. Satan" was stolen....

Wait... did God (aka "All Knowing") and Satan (aka "Morningstar", Lucifer, "Light Bringer") sign away their life-story to Mr. Whitehead?

If not, I see the Supreme Being and the First Angel going all the way to the Supreme court!

Bring me some popcorn!!!
post #14 of 72
That must be a typo, surely he meant $75 bizillion

post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

force the parties to the law suit to show adequate assets in the event they lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

...and this will continue until this country does something to penalize those who file frivilous lawsuits. If he loses, he should be forced to pay for court costs for the defendants.

Why would that make the system better? Sure you might stop some frivolous lawsuits like this, but you'd basically put well funded defendants above the law.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That must be a typo, surely he meant $75 bizillion

I was trying to think of a funny comment of my own to add, but I have nothing to add to this...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #17 of 72
Frank Chu needs to step up his game if he wants to match this guy for courtroom hours.
post #18 of 72
Quote:

[...] Apparently a prolific writer, Whitehead has penned books, scripts and plays about a broad range of topics. [...]

He's a writer. That explains it.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #19 of 72
My prediction: I bet his claims turn out to have very little real merit.
post #20 of 72
I'm fuzzy on a couple of the references, but I'm pretty sure there's prior art a-plenty on "God Vs. Satan" and the "Passion of the Christ".
post #21 of 72
Funny and ridiculous this nonetheless represents a tabloid low for AI. Leave the poor sod alone.
post #22 of 72
"Barrack" Obama? LOL
post #23 of 72
Is their anybody he isn't suing?
post #24 of 72
This isn't a law suit it's a 'Law Suite'
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nategrove View Post

Anyone else notice that he couldn't even spell the President's first name correctly?

Well that's how it was spelled on the long form Hawaii Birth Certifica..., I mean, opps
/
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #26 of 72
this guy should be an analyst for Piper Jaffray.
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

Yeah, but that keeps the powerful in power and the weak in the mud. Maybe there could be a pretrial hearing to look at the allegations and based on the claims, or evidence present, someone could determine if it would proceed as a loser pays case?

Nothing would be worse than to have someone with a legitimate claim and limited resources to be squashed by a big company that simply out spent what he could muster in "adequate assets".
post #28 of 72
Whitehead sounds like a pimple that needs to be popped
post #29 of 72
OH WOW! I had no idea Bush now lives in his library, Clinton too?
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #30 of 72
Get the net
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #31 of 72
Not sure why you need to drag the lawyers into this. The guy filed it In Pro Per. In other words, by himself with no lawyers involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This is what you get when you have more lawyers in Michigan alone than in all of Japan...
post #32 of 72
The problem isn't the guy filing the suit, or that the other side has to pay a lawyer. The problem is the system doesn't require a guy to provide any evidence of his allegation initially. That comes much later. Further, sometimes a case is so baseless on its face, but Judges don't dismiss the case when asked to early on.

I agree with your sentiment though. A loser pays system will result in many people who have been wronged not suing. People often have good cases, but lose nonetheless. Judges are people and multiple judges can rule different ways on the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Yeah, but that keeps the powerful in power and the weak in the mud. Maybe there could be a pretrial hearing to look at the allegations and based on the claims, or evidence present, someone could determine if it would proceed as a loser pays case?

Nothing would be worse than to have someone with a legitimate claim and limited resources to be squashed by a big company that simply out spent what he could muster in "adequate assets".
post #33 of 72
Quote:

Whitehead also believes his original work "God vs. Satan" was stolen by Mel Gibson and Twentieth Century Fox for the film "The Passion of the Christ." And he says rapper Sean "P. Diddy" Combs's idea for the fragrance "I Am King" was taken from his original play entitled "Erykah Badu in Paris With Momma Voodoo."

post #34 of 72
He (should have) amended his lawsuit to claim that he is a space alien and represents an advanced race (of which he obviously not an example) which secretly gave all that technology and those creative ideas to the defendants.

...who secretly return to their reptilian form at night when no one is looking
post #35 of 72
Beeble bloop! Bleeble blop! Beep beep!
post #36 of 72
Quote:

The wild accusations from David Louis Whitehead of Bossier, La., are included in a 99-page complaint filed this month in a U.S. District Court in the Western District of Arkansas.

Sounds like someone has been drinking the Hooch again.

This will dropped very quickly (unless he sent some of that hooch to the local judges) because it is highly unlikely that, assuming he can prove the prior creation date, he can prove the offenders had access to his work before creating theirs. And that proven access is a major part of copyright claims. Apple et al will file for dismissal due to said lack of proof and if that isn't granted they could always counter sue to scare the guy off

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #37 of 72
This loser is beyond comprehension. I guess he'll find a reason to sue me for using the name maccherry.
maybe it came from one of his delusional plays.
"The day Godzilla farted in a field of maccherries".
post #38 of 72
All i need to say is that this guys is koo-koo.
Oh, i better watch myself, he might sue me as well.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Frank Chu needs to step up his game if he wants to match this guy for courtroom hours.

I was with my cousin and sister at 111 minnna and Frank showed up. since we were deep into libations at this point we decided to take Frank with us into a cab to the fairmont hotel bar and get him drunk. he is one bizarre fellow. I even interviewed him on my iPhone.

I'm considering advertising my company on his picket sign.

good times
post #40 of 72
Wow!
May God Bless America.
It can only happen here. How we so abuse our freedom.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bizarre lawsuit connects Apple, US presidents, Oprah Winfrey in conspiracy