or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Mysterious 'ix.Mac.MarketingName' listed as supported Apple device for iOS apps

Mysterious 'ix.Mac.MarketingName' listed as supported Apple device for iOS apps

post #1 of 50
A number of universal applications on the iOS App Store have listed an unknown product placeholder name -- "ixMac.MarketingName" -- as a compatible device, fueling speculation that Apple could be poised introduce apps on a new device.

The App Store bug has appeared under the compatible devices list for a number of universal applications, or software that runs on Apple's entire range of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The glitch, appearing with the iOS application Prompt, was first publicized by MacRumors.

The unknown product "ix.Mac.MarketingName" does not appear on all universal App Store applications, as MyVoice Communication Aid, which relies on GPS data and voice input, and Bing for iPad, which is not a universal application, do not include the listing. But many other universal applications, like Marvel Comics, do feature "ix.Mac.MarketingName."

That led Engadget to suggest that "ix.Mac.MarketingName" is more than just a glitch, and perhaps a placeholder for a new supported device that will run software from the App Store.

In addition to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, Apple does have one more iOS-based device that does not have support for native applications: the new second-generation Apple TV. Rumors leading up to that device's announcement last year suggested that Apple would include access to the App Store on its iOS-based set top box.

Apple has allowed third-party iOS applications on mobile devices to utilize the Apple TV via its wireless streaming protocol dubbed AirPlay. Support for AirPlay in third-party applications came with the release of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in March.

Applications that add the AirPlay feature can stream both audio and video to the new Apple TV, which is powered by the same A4 processor found inside the iPhone 4 and first-generation iPad. But those applications must be run from an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and cannot be downloaded to or accessed from the Apple TV itself.
post #2 of 50
I want to buy an iX.
post #3 of 50
"iPad 2"
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I want to buy an iX.

Oh, no. Ixians are evil. They want to take all your spice.

My guess is that Apple is working diligently toward licensing AirPlay technologies to TV manufacturers (or selling a card that fits in the cable card slots that many TVs have. That would explain why games and comics use this marketingname device while GPS-enabled apps don't.

For the conspiracy theorists, it could be an Apple HDTV, but I just don't see Apple going there. Licensing the technology to TV manufacturers makes a lot more sense.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 50
I think Apple is just getting ready for the Developers Conference in June, they always select few apps or companies to test things for the future. It happened on every iOS announcement.
The name probably a place holder for something. Maybe ability to run iOS apps on iMac.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #6 of 50
Apps on Apple TV, starting in June. Compatible with Apple Smart TV when that one is released at the end of this year or early next year.
post #7 of 50
Many machines on Ix.
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_K View Post

Apps on Apple TV, starting in June. Compatible with Apple Smart TV when that one is released at the end of this year or early next year.

That's the first thing I thought of. Apple TV will get applications... how revolutionary will they be? Who knows... but I can see the Apple TV being an absolute Trojan horse. If the Apple TV had "cool apps," did Netflix, and streamed movies... it would replace much of my PS3 needs.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

That's the first thing I thought of. Apple TV will get applications... how revolutionary will they be? Who knows... but I can see the Apple TV being an absolute Trojan horse. If the Apple TV had "cool apps," did Netflix, and streamed movies... it would replace much of my PS3 needs.

Apple TV already does Netflix and streams movies better than the PS3.
bb
bb
post #10 of 50
Not sure about the Apple TV reference. The first thing I thought of was Apple merging the iOS App Store and Mac App Store together.

Maybe I am just crazy but it would make things more intrgrated in my opinion, and I don't see why the iOS app store should be a part of iTunes other than the syncing, but there is no reason iTunes can't pull from the App Store app (at least on OS X).
post #11 of 50
Hybrid Mac-iPad / OS X-iOS
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Many machines on Ix.

But have you ever seen an Ixian female?
post #13 of 50
Quote:

I want to buy an iX.

Nah!

Never buy a 1.0 Apple Product... wait for the bugs to be worked out in version 2
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #14 of 50
I love mysterious new listings. Something interesting to think about. And, it is finally something new to distract from the ever-frustrating and pointless "The iPhone 5 will be released on ______" debate.
post #15 of 50
... then, there's the fragmentation issue
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Not sure about the Apple TV reference. The first thing I thought of was Apple merging the iOS App Store and Mac App Store together.

Maybe I am just crazy but it would make things more intrgrated in my opinion, and I don't see why the iOS app store should be a part of iTunes other than the syncing, but there is no reason iTunes can't pull from the App Store app (at least on OS X).

Im not a fan of this idea. iOS apps are within the iTunes Store portal because they are also stored and organized within iTunes. They cant be used on a Mac and then you have an inconsistency with the Windows app which has no Mac App Store, for obvious reasons.

Personally, Id like to see the Mac App Store and Macs Software Update merge into one since both are installed and run on Macs. I dont want to have to access two apps to get access to updates. I nifty flip effect like in iBooks and iBookstore would give it adequate separation if that is an issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Many machines on Ix.

This is the #winning post

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 50
It's the A4 emulator with iOS for the rest of us, to run under Lion. Running iOS apps on a Mac won't be just for developers any more.
post #19 of 50
Quote:

I want to buy an iX.

Silly Rabbit.
iX are for kids.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"iPad 2"

iPad Touch?
post #21 of 50
ix.Mac.MarketingName is an anagram for "making Matrix menace", which can only mean that Apple is developing a crappy prequel to The Matrix... either that or they're working on self-aware iOS devices -- I for one welcome our new iX overlords.
post #22 of 50
Personally I think OS X Lion and iOS 5 will be able to run the same application, buy once, run on any OS X device or machine. OS X already supports multiple CPU architectures in the same app and iOS already supports multiple UI modes (iPhone/iPad) and Lion will also (normal/full screen). It is not hard to imagine combining all of them into a single application bundle to support a multitude of Apple products.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It's the A4 emulator with iOS for the rest of us, to run under Lion. Running iOS apps on a Mac won't be just for developers any more.

That was my first thought too. Although I think the Apple TV idea is probably more likely. Apple could use this as an entry point for introducing touchscreen Macs. I suppose in the meantime, these would work with trackpads and mice.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, no. Ixians are evil. They want to take all your spice.

Just ramp up the production man. The spice must flow!

(Couldn't resist)
post #25 of 50
post #26 of 50
I think the monkier of iX is interesting. iOS + Mac OS X.... condense that to iX.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they did start to allow apps for the aTV. If they pulled off both, that would be a grand slam!
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #27 of 50
I haven't seen Daniel the Brat's articles on AI for a while. This is plain wrong! I would like to see AppleInsider and RoughlyDrafted Magazine to enter into a co-marketing agreement. That way we can "Distort the Reality further and Tell People to Think Different" and buy more Apple products. That's my Grand Scheme.

And every iFan on the Planet has to own at least one Mac, there's no excuse!

"Macintosh. Insanely Great!"

IronTed
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

They won't pull the two stores together if only because of the difference in compatibility. What they might do (in keeping with your question about it being part of itunes) is pull the store out on the web or as a separate app similar to the Mac App Store. Because you are right, there is really no absolute reason for it to be in itunes. Not even syncing must be in iTunes on the Mac. They could make devices appear as an icon on your screen and then when you 'open' it you get the sync screens. Take itunes back to being a player and manager

As for this glitch, yes it is a glitch. No way did Apple mean for it to show up. My guess is that they are going to fulfill Steve's "when the time is right" and allow developers to make apps for the Apple TV. But the catch is that it must be made for the ATV. None of this allowing every app to work like they do iphone to ipad (many of which look like caca). The focus will likely be video viewing apps like hulu, game apps where a smaller device can be a controller, drawing etc app (again your iphone or ipad is your control and the ATV-TV is the display)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I’d like to see the Mac App Store and Mac’s Software Update merge into one since both are installed and run on Macs.

Well you are getting your wish. The death of Software Update is part of why MAS exists and why Apple is slowing moving to that as their software release channel. I predict that within 2 years Apple will have even OS updates on there. You'll have a CD or locked flash drive with the build that came on your computer for emergencies but otherwise it's all MAS. Basically just like your iphone etc. Then they don't have to worry about folks going and buying the $29 upgrade for their 10.4 machines when they really wanted you to buy the higher priced one so they can get some of the money they should have from you buying 10.5.

So they start releasing only on MAS (no disks in stores) and folks will have to upgrade to at least 10.6 and then beyond to get new stuff and since the updates are within MAS there's no need for Software Update which only covered Apple stuff anyway. It will go bye bye perhaps even as early as Lion.

This year will likely be the last time you can get things like FCS and Logic in stores and they might even do it online only. Then they can, as has been rumored, cut back their shelf place for software and use it for other things. Plus I heard (or rather overheard) at one of the LA stores that Final Cut and Logic Studios plus Aperture are the biggest shoplifting targets in stores. Putting them MAS/disks by online order only drops that concern pretty fast so it's another win

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A number of universal applications...
The unknown product "ix.Mac.MarketingName" does not appear on all universal App Store applications, as MyVoice Communication Aid, which relies on GPS data and voice input, and Bing for iPad, which is not a universal application, do not include the listing.

Since these are not universal apps and do not include the listing, why are they mentioned in the article?
Is AI plugging for Bing now?
Product placement?
Bing is not universal and does not have this "mysterious" Apple product name in it, yet in the middle of an article about universal apps having a mysterious Apple product name, Bing is mentioned.
Why?
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah!

Never buy a 1.0 Apple Product... wait for the bugs to be worked out in version 2

Yeah, but isn't version iX = 9?
post #31 of 50
ix.Mac

The long awaited xMac is here!!
post #32 of 50
Hard for anyone to make an informed guess here, if this does mean anything at all in terms of products that is.

Sent from my ix.Mac.MarketingName.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They could make devices appear as an icon on your screen and then when you 'open' it you get the sync screens. Take itunes back to being a player and manager.

I love that idea. iTunes is pretty bloated as it is and pulling the device out of iTunes could help to eventually move iOS-based devices out of the “nest” as they evolve in their capabilities and functions. This does would disconnect Windows and Macs from working the same which is why I think allowing the option for access via iTunes would still be warranted. Plus, there are a few features that simply can’t be met without iTunes, even if they are regulated to the fringe users.

Here is my mockups. Don’t make fun it’s the extent of my abilities.

(click for larger image)
Quote:
You'll have a CD or locked flash drive with the build that came on your computer for emergencies but otherwise it's all MAS.

I wonder if future Macs will come with an external Restore Disc at all after Lion drops. In case you are unaware the Lion download no longer happens from developer.apple.com. You only go there to get the Redeem Code which is then submitted and downloaded from MAS. The "Install Mac OS X.app” file is placed in /Applications and can be installed from the very partition you are using.

The installer also creates a hidden, 750MB partition which works exactly as the Restore Disc would work if you needed to run Disk Utility, Firmware Lock, Password Reset, etc. on your machine.

I wonder if they’ll just forego the extra HW altogether and just make the partition 5GB so you could do a complete restore from that hidden partition. Sure, if the drive breaks you are SoL, but from Apple’s PoV consumers are likely to send or bring in a broken Mac and very few people are changing their own HDDs. They have shrunk the OS since Leopard so in a way we’re actually better off than before.

The other issue is SSD sizes where 64GB is standard on MBAs. I guess those can get the USB flash drive but it won’t be long before 128GB is standard for the same price and at that point I don’t think 5GB is going to be a big deal to most users. That said, I think they’ll likely still keep it in /Applications as “Install Mac OS X.app” not in the hidden partition.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

But have you ever seen an Ixian female?

Yeah, there used to be lots of them. Before the Bene Tleilax took over.
post #35 of 50
Apple TV as the ix device would seem strange, unless apple is going to sell a touch-based TV to go with it (which i don't thinking anybody would want). And i doubt it's a mac because iOS apps are designed for a touch-interface.

How about the iPhone mini? Or the iMac patent with the touch panel you can adjust?

Very interesting.
post #36 of 50
The plot thickens..... 'ix' is also a Mayan word for jaguar.
post #37 of 50
My guess is that they are going allow developers to bundle Mac and iOS apps together as a universal application.
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"iPad 2"

And we have a winner!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The plot thickens..... 'ix' is also a Mayan word for jaguar.

Based on all current usage as detailed by Wikipedia Id choose the medical abbreviation meaning Investigations as the most likely of the bunch. My reasoning is that this might be a skunks works project where they are simply investigating.
post #40 of 50
ATV development's a possibility but why the "mac" reference?

Perhaps this is more evidence of the Mac/iDevice fusion. Definitely at a marketing/retail level (the App/Mac App Stores are both underpinned by iTunes) but the questions is, is it at a technical level?

Universal iOS Apps already allow the same Xcode project to hold different controller classes for iPhone/iPad versions whilst accessing the same functional 'backend' classes. You can add a Mac target to the same project (which automatically adds the Cocoa framework) though I've never built a universal OSX/iOS App and don't even know if its possible. Remember iOS is OSX-mobile and incorporates many of the same frameworks. Is this a clue to the further, technical integration of two?

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Mysterious 'ix.Mac.MarketingName' listed as supported Apple device for iOS apps