or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple woos data center guru away from rival Microsoft

Apple woos data center guru away from rival Microsoft

post #1 of 38
The man who helped build data centers for Microsoft's cloud operations is said to have left the Redmond, Wash., software giant to work for Apple.

Kevin Timmons, general manager of datacenter services at Microsoft, has left the company to pursue other career opportunities. And according to Data Center Knowledge, Timmons is headed to Apple, but his position and responsibilities are not known.

The report indicated that Timmons will not fill the position vacated by the passing of Olivier Sanche last year. Sanche, Apple's global data center director, died suddenly last November. He oversaw Apple's preparations for its $1 billion North Carolina data center, which the company has said is on track to open this spring.

Timmons reportedly sought to drastically reduce data center costs by as much as 50 percent during his tenure with Microsoft. He also played a key role in the Windows maker's latest data center in Quincy, Wash., which features a lightweight exterior filled with highly customizable containers that are packed with servers, storage, and power and cooling infrastructure.

"Timmons has forged a reputation for building efficient Internet-scale data centers on a budget," author Rich Miller wrote. "At Microsoft, Timmons oversaw the deployment of massive new data centers in Dublin and Chicago shortly after his arrival in mid-2009, but then moved to streamline the company's data center design and cost structure."

Prior to working at Microsoft, Timmons was vice president of operations at Yahoo, where he also oversaw build-out of data centers and infrastructure.

Kevin Timmons speaks at a 2010 event in Quincy, Wash. Photo via Data Center Knowledge.

Apple is expected to introduce a major overhaul of its MobileMe Internet application service this year. According to The Wall Street Journal, the cloud-based service will add a digital "locker" that would store personal files such as photos, music and videos, and that content could be streamed to Internet-connected devices like iPhones.

AppleInsider first reported on Wednesday that Apple is assembling a small team that will build "the future of cloud services" from the company. And in December, Apple revealed it was expanding its cloud-based services for iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad.
post #2 of 38
Another one of Balmer's Flying Monkeys gets a new jug of Apple-Aide.... Har..Har...Har....
post #3 of 38
I can't wait for the new mm, can anyone?
post #4 of 38
I've no choice but to wait.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

To the cloud!

When are they going to open this thing anyway?? It takes forever for a movie rental to stream to my Apple TV and I'm hoping this will improve after the data center opens.

My vids stream fine. Try getting a fasted connection 10Mbps+ and wiring your ATV to your router will give you a big speed boost even if you're wireless over an 'n' WiFi network.
bb
bb
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

My vids stream fine. Try getting a fasted connection 10Mbps+ and wiring your ATV to your router will give you a big speed boost even if you're wireless over an 'n' WiFi network.

You may want to factor in Thunderbolt technology into your thinking. It is coming (probably) to all Apple devices ... max data rates are 20 mbs ... full bidirectional. Mini-display port is a key port in all of the standard Macs. Mobile Apple devices will likely use the 30 pin common port with the newly announced Thunderbolt adapter.
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I only watch Netflix, I mean try to watch Netflix. So many stalls and rebufferings that it is basically unwatchable. I'm very suspicious of my cable company. I think they may be intentionally screwing with my connection to Netflix because everything else is really fast. Unless Netflix servers are that overloaded. Hard to tell without poking around into the network packets.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple woos data center guru away from Microsoft for cloud services

A more accurate title for this article would likely be: Another rat flees the sinking ship that is Microsoft for the safety and comfort of the rising star Apple
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I only watch Netflix, I mean try to watch Netflix. So many stalls and rebufferings that it is basically unwatchable. I'm very suspicious of my cable company. I think they be intentionally screwing with my connection to Netflix because everything else is really fast. Unless Netflix servers are that overloaded. Hard to tell without poking around into the network packets.

Well that would make you believe it is Netflix's servers, and not Apple's.
post #10 of 38
Quote:

To the cloud!

When are they going to open this thing anyway?? It takes forever for a movie rental to stream to my Apple TV and I'm hoping this will improve after the data center opens.

Yep... my video from Apple streams instantly. The bottleneck is not @ Apple.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Timmons reportedly sought to drastically reduce data center costs by as much as 50 percent during his tenure with Microsoft.

"Timmons has forged a reputation for building efficient Internet-scale data centers on a budget," author Rich Miller wrote.

Wonder if he used Unix in the data center? or if he was hobbled by servers running Windoze?
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Well that would make you believe it is Netflix's servers, and not Apple's.

Well. I'm just implying that there may be major media wars in the making as all of these companies are trying to grab or keep market share. The FCC is going to have to get involved big time. Cable and wireless consolidation, digital downloads versus pay-per-view, etc. It is going to get ugly. Apple may have the best data center out there but if the major delivery channels screw with your connection, it doesn't work. Net Neutrality is a political hot potato.

post #13 of 38
Quote:

I only watch Netflix, I mean try to watch Netflix. So many stalls and rebufferings that it is basically unwatchable. I'm very suspicious of my cable company. I think they may be intentionally screwing with my connection to Netflix because everything else is really fast. Unless Netflix servers are that overloaded. Hard to tell without poking around into the network packets.

I'm a netflix-only user myself. No problems whatsoever. My ATV is not wired. I have "regular" roadrunner, and an Airport Extreme Base Station.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Wonder if he used Unix in the data center? or if he was hobbled by servers running Windoze?

Probably Windows but it wouldn't matter in data center design, the OS is irrelevant.

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

You may want to factor in Thunderbolt technology into your thinking. It is coming (probably) to all Apple devices ... max data rates are 20 mbs ... full bidirectional. Mini-display port is a key port in all of the standard Macs. Mobile Apple devices will likely use the 30 pin common port with the newly announced Thunderbolt adapter.

I dont expect to see Thunderbolt in their routers. Besides other issues, the distance is too short for the cooper Thunderbolt compared to Ethernet. Maybe if gets cheap enough and optical in introduced, but I think that timeframe is option is too far away to even begin to consider.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 38
Quote:

Well. I'm just implying that there may be major media wars in the making as all of these companies are trying to grab or keep market share. The FCC is going to have to get involved big time. Cable and wireless consolidation, digital downloads versus pay-per-view, etc. It is going to get ugly. Apple may have the best data center out there but if the major delivery channels screw with your connection, it doesn't work. Net Neutrality is a political hot potato.

mstone, absolutely. I am a died in the wool Republican until they address technology issues. They were/are wrong about Microsoft 15 years ago and they are wrong here.

The GOP mistakingly believes there is a free market in content distribution. There is NOT. There is ZERO competition. I have Cablevision. I have no other option. I need to use their GARBAGE cable box and where I want to use a Tivo box, my service is crippled on that box (limit # of HD channels). It is impossible for new competitors to pop up (ask the CLEC's of 10 years ago).

The current system is SLOWING innovation, not helping it. Apple has mostly avoided this game for exactly the reasons I mentioned (despite the amazing technology they could put in the living room). Sometimes congressional Republicans always take the position that ANY regulation in this area is bad without actually knowing the issues. Then again... congressional Democrats take the opposite position without knowing the issues (hence our Ethanol mess).

Ok... rant over. Back to being a Republican.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

I am a died in the wool Republican

Condolences.

Quote:

The GOP mistakingly believes

a lot of things.

Quote:

Sometimes congressional Republicans always take the position

Which is it: Sometimes, or always?

Quote:

Then again... congressional Democrats take the opposite position without knowing the issues (hence our Ethanol mess).

I'll grant you that the Democrats aren't any better. The just aren't as bad, in my opinion. Until we have a viable third party to mix things up a bit, we'll have nothing but nonsensical partisan politics, petty bickering, and gridlock in Washington, D.C. It was bad before, but it's getting a lot worse now.

I don't like the Democrats very much, but am getting ever so tired of Republican hypocrisy and revisionist history. Whenever the GOP has been in power in recent decades, we've run up astronomical deficits, trashed environmental regulations, and deregulate critical systems which lead things like the airline traffic control mishaps, and the Great Recession/World Economic Crisis.

<rant> Democrats may be bad but Republicans are worse! </rant>

Quote:

Back to being a Republican.

Back to condolences.
post #18 of 38
Quote:

Whoever you vote for the government always gets in (and as we all know deep down government is run by corporate interest groups)
post #19 of 38
Hmmm. I am also on FIOS, and am seeing the exact same symptoms as you, with approximately the same setup.

In doing some troubleshooting, I also noticed that there are vast areas of the US where my speeds drops to abysmal levels. Using speedtest.net andpingtest.net, I was seeing near-rated speeds (20Mbps) when hitting a server in my home state (Washington) or relatively nearby. However, when I change to a midwest or east coast server, my throughput drops by a factor of 10, and I see sub-2Mbps download speeds and >200ms ping times.

Also, I noticed that there are a few sites that I simply cannot get to when on FIOS at home; for example, http://seat61.com - I get a Site Not Found.

Quote:

I have Fios and a time capsule with Wireless N. Everything is updated software wise. As an end user, I shouldn't have to do anything else.

Besides, it doesn't happen all the time. Could be Verizon throttling bandwith, could be Apple transitioning over to the new center. Who can know?

I'm not digging into it until after they open the new data center. Then I'll know for sure it's not Apple.
post #20 of 38
That is exactly what is happening. That is what Net Neutrarility is all about. Right now Internet companies are trying to squeeze money out of Netflix to deliver the content. Seems strange since you paid the Internet company already to deliver the content. So, after a while of streaming, the data rate is adjusted, and Netflix has to responds by adjusting the quality of stream.

In my area, Comcast was the worst. I switched to AT&T (my only two options). AT&T is slightley better, but still guilty. Netflix publishes a list of providers that work best with its services.

Quote:

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Netflix publishes a list of providers that work best with its services.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html
post #22 of 38
I disagree the Democrats are better. For the most part, they at least claim to care about most of things most people would care about. The Republicans for the most part only care about what is in the interest of big business.

The Obama Aminstration at least has pushed Net Neutraility requirements, looks into anti-trust issues, and understands you can't keep lowering the taxes for the rich and keep spending.

The greatest economic boom was under President Clinton. The problem is Democrats are poor on execution. They let the Republicans bully them. Maybe that is intentional.

The biggest problem with our Country is so called free trade, both parties are responsible for letting that happen. The free trade agreements have destroyed american.

Quote:

Condolences.

a lot of things.

Which is it: Sometimes, or always?

I'll grant you that the Democrats aren't any better. The just aren't as bad, in my opinion. Until we have a viable third party to mix things up a bit, we'll have nothing but nonsensical partisan politics, petty bickering, and gridlock in Washington, D.C. It was bad before, but it's getting a lot worse now.

I don't like the Democrats very much, but am getting ever so tired of Republican hypocrisy and revisionist history. Whenever the GOP has been in power in recent decades, we've run up astronomical deficits, trashed environmental regulations, and deregulate critical systems which lead things like the airline traffic control mishaps, and the Great Recession/World Economic Crisis.

Back to condolences.
post #23 of 38
Quote:

To the cloud!

Since getting an ATV Mk 2 I have had almost instant and flawless streaming from Apple. I have FiOS and d'l speeds of just above 30Mb/s. I use an Airport Extreme to ensure .11n. I suspect your issue isn't the Apple end.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #24 of 38
Quote:

The greatest economic boom was under President Clinton.

Yeah that was perfect right there. A charismatic Democratic president and a motivated, Republican congress. Best of both worlds, and they got a lot done.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Yeah that was perfect right there. A charismatic Democratic president and a motivated, Republican congress. Best of both worlds, and they got a lot done.

we are so off topic, but isn't a charismatic Democratic president and a motivated, Republican congress what we have now? they're getting NOTHING done. CiP: 2011 budget passed 4 1/2 months late - and only due to the threat of a shutdown.
post #26 of 38
Quote:

I disagree the Democrats are better. For the most part, they at least claim to care about most of things most people would care about. The Republicans for the most part only care about what is in the interest of big business.

The Obama Aminstration at least has pushed Net Neutraility requirements, looks into anti-trust issues, and understands you can't keep lowering the taxes for the rich and keep spending.

The greatest economic boom was under President Clinton. The problem is Democrats are poor on execution. They let the Republicans bully them. Maybe that is intentional.

The biggest problem with our Country is so called free trade, both parties are responsible for letting that happen. The free trade agreements have destroyed american.

I agree. The political nonsense down there is the main reason why the USA is so drastically behind in almost everything technological and modern (which is sad for a country that fancies itself a world leader).

It almost always comes down to the extreme conservatism and religiousness of the USA in general. Even your most left leaning progressive politicians are really quite right wing compared to most other western countries, and even those "lefty" countries are far more conservative now than they were in the 60's or 70's.

What the USA views as "lefty" is generally "centre-right" to the rest of the world.

As an outside observer I can tell you that most of my friends in Canada are mystified right now why the republicans still seem to be running things even though there is a democratic president. It's very odd.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

we are so off topic, but isn't a charismatic Democratic president and a motivated, Republican congress what we have now? they're getting NOTHING done. CiP: 2011 budget passed 4 1/2 months late - and only due to the threat of a shutdown.

The budget isn't 4 1/2 months late... the fiscal year started in October and the budget should have been done long before that. The Democrats had control of the White House, Senate (basically a supermajority with GOP liberals like Lindsey Graham and Scott Brown) and the House. Barack, Harry and Nancy did nothing because they were paralyzed by an electorate that wanted nothing to do with their party's policies anymore.

Also... Bill Clinton was an absolute moderate. Obama is nothing of the sort (take for example his new term for tax increases: "savings in the tax code" -- Bill Clinton would not have DREAMED of calling tax increases "savings."
post #28 of 38
Quote:

The budget isn't 4 1/2 months late... the fiscal year started in October and the budget should have been done long before that. The Democrats had control of the White House, Senate (basically a supermajority with GOP liberals like Lindsey Graham and Scott Brown) and the House. Barack, Harry and Nancy did nothing because they were paralyzed by an electorate that wanted nothing to do with their party's policies anymore.

Also... Bill Clinton was an absolute moderate. Obama is nothing of the sort (take for example his new term for tax increases: "savings in the tax code" -- Bill Clinton would not have DREAMED of calling tax increases "savings."

Bill Clinton was called a "moderate" because Republicans back then weren't as extrem as they are now. So they can tolerate progressive thinkings better.

Whatever your characterization of tax increase, under Clinton, we did raise top marginal tax rate. And economy didn't collapse because of that.
post #29 of 38
Quote:

I'll grant you that the Democrats aren't any better. The just aren't as bad, in my opinion.

You Have Got To Be Kidding!!!

Quote:
Until we have a viable third party to mix things up a bit, we'll have nothing but nonsensical partisan politics, petty bickering, and gridlock in Washington, D.C. It was bad before, but it's getting a lot worse now.

So here you are with your "petty bickering" slamming the Republicans as if they are the sole reason for the country's woes and then complain about it "getting worse"? Which is it 'sometimes' or 'always'?

"Getting a lot worse" and who has been in control for the past two years? And they decried George Bush as a 'divider not a uniter'! Sheesh, compared with the current cabal of miscreants we've had for the past two years, Bush is comparable to the Blessed Christopher Robinson!

Or do you mean "getting worse" as in Obama speaking at the memorial for the Gabby Giffords shooting victims saying we need to be more civil, which lasted all of less than two months before this was said by a Democrat politician, and makes me wonder why don't the Dems just piss on the grave of the youngest victim, 9 year old Christina Taylor, while the clueless democrat liberal talking heads were blaming Rush...

A third party huh? Like the Tea Party?! Did we ever hear from Obama that "they're our neighbors, they're our friends like he said of the WI unionistas who sieged the State Capital? Did he? Did Obama ever come out to defend the Constitutional Rights of people to protest his government? What of Hillary, did she ever come out and defend the Tea Party?! Did either of them went to tell, is it 'whore' or 'bitch', Nancy Pelosi to tone it down??? Oh, whore was used by Democrat Jerry Brown staff to define a Republican woman candidate, another female Republican candidate, Sharron Angle, was defined as a bitch by Joy Behar. But look how some in the Democrat party portrayed the Tea Party and you think a viable third party can arise under such criticism such as... unAmerican, Astroturphers, Racists, etc. They aren't Republicans more so then people who want government to be fiscally responsible! You are not going to get that from the tax and spend Dems as they trod out their tired old playbook of overspend and tax the rich. What this country needs is a leader, unlike the Jimmy Carter 2nd Term, empty suit dolt we currently have to endure that thinks the Constitution is an impediment...

Enjoy your $5.00/Gal gas this summer thanks to a bunch of tree hugging jackasses... Enjoy GE making Billions and paying no taxes and their CEO enjoys Obama's ear, while the other ear is tightly wrapped around that union ass, Richard Trumpka, who Obama has spoken with more then he has with half a dozen Cabinet members in two years, see youtube from MSNBC so you know it's a credible news peice! .

Quote:

I don't care for Republicans so much, but I am getting ever so tired of 'posters' hypocrisy and revisionist history when it comes to Republicans, Conservatives, Tea Party that when I read such garbage posts, well I just can't shut up about it, but I know this is a Mac place for Mac stories and don't want to go off on a tangent, opps, too late, but just as passionate as you are in your views, I am in mine, plus my post was backed up with links galore while yours was just rantings!... Dems spend astronomically if not more then Republicans, spread lies about environment, Global Warming, and, as a pilot, the air traffic control system has always been in the crapper, too many bureaucrats, too much non essentials, and aging equipment that the airlines don't want to contribute to upgrade because of no profits thanks to high fuel prices, again thank a tree hugging jackass and that dolt Obama and his no energy plan! Plus that lovely union PATCO went on strike putting peoples lives in danger! And you want to believe the unionistas WI educators when they say, "It's all about the children" BS! You mean the Great Recession brought on by the promise of liberalism that every person can own a house (but not necessarily afford one!) and Republicans followed suit. Where the likes of Democrat Jamie Gorelick who went off to Fannie Mae and contributed in destroying the housing market while making a cool 26 million dollars that would make any Wall Street type blush, after her disastrous stint as Deputy Attorney General that allowed for 9/11, is now on Obama's short list for FBI Director?! E'fn idiots ALL OF THEM. Anyone who thinks Palin is joke and an idiot and thinks these people are what America needs and is willing to vote in for a second term seriously need to seek mental health from a true professional. I mean WTF... surpirsed this is not a Charlie Sheen comment. Just a little rebuttal to keep your post a little 'fair and balanced'!

Quote:

"May" be bad?! "May"!!!! What have you been smoking?! Democrats ARE bad and Republicans are fast approaching their ranks... But Dems, probably the white Southerners who owned slaves way back then, with their liberal progressive thinking of today, that now enslave groups of people causing them to be beholding for the scraps thrown out by their new Masters in Washington who are enjoying the finer things at the Big House at your expense!... Literally and Figuratively. And the GOP is once again trying to make men FREE... added that because I know some of you are going to just 'loooove' that one! Check your BP... Breathe, just breathe...</RANT>

And to comment on MR's post, it reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where they had a ammo dump placed by the hospital so it wouldn't be bombed and the General said, "Learned that one from the Germans." Causing Hawkeye (PIerce, the other Hawkeye) to say, "Great, we're taking advice from the losers!" Just hope Apple isn't taking any of the bad from the Redmond losers. \

George Burns 1. George Burns 2. Oh Gracie! Say good night Gracie. Good night Gracie...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"May" be bad?! "May"!!!! What have you been smoking?! Democrats ARE bad and Republicans are fast approaching their ranks... But Dems, probably the white Southerners who owned slaves way back then, with their liberal progressive thinking of today, that now enslave groups of people causing them to be beholding for the scraps thrown out by their new Masters in Washington who are enjoying the finer things at the Big House at your expense!... Literally and Figuratively. And the GOP is once again trying to make men FREE... added that because I know some of you are going to just 'loooove' that one! Check your BP... Breathe, just breathe...</RANT>

Put down the Fox news channel and step away from the TV. We don't need to get anyone hurt here.

post #31 of 38
Wow this thread went to hell pretty fast. Here I was hoping for at least some more Microsoft bashing before the off-topic tomfoolery began.
post #32 of 38
Ah nevermind...
post #33 of 38
Blah, blah, blah...

All I want to know is whether any chairs were harmed during the making of this story.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #34 of 38
Quote:

A more accurate title for this article would likely be: Another rat flees the sinking ship that is Microsoft for the safety and comfort of the rising star Apple

That may be the case if the Apple were allowing him in board BUT Apple does recruit all of its staff and I am sure they don't see him as an asset
post #35 of 38
Starting with the topic of the post:

RIMM Denial: that releasing the PB at this time as an experiment and unfinished, is just plain stupid. No one cares whether this or that will work in the summer. As the world and the enterprise is excited about the possibilites of a tablet-carrying work-force and possible productivity boost ... RIMM releases an unfinished product that CAN'T even do email.
RIMM Consequence: PB = DOA -> R.I.P. RIMM ca. Jan. 2012

Replying to the political curve-ball this thread took:

American Denial: the country and political environment is so screwed up, it's almost beyond fixing at this point... not quite... but border-line. Evidence is the bitterness of both sides to compromise a millimeter; commentary, views, reporting not being measured by it's content, but set to a scale of 1-10 on "The-BS-Meter" and whether it will be good-enough propaganda for the next vote.
American Consequence: Civil War and total ruin and irrelevance, latest at the mid-point of the century = you guys are toast if you can't find a way to get your S*** together, and FAST!

Just too much to lay out here that makes this not a theory or guess, bat sad and truthful fact about your situation, from an ex-pat American observer.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #36 of 38
One last note to my above reply:

When you Americans can't even agree how to manage your entertainment and sports and be civil about it, you have serious and deep problems!

Evidence:
• Foreseeable NFL lock out: Millionaires vs. Billionaires vs. paying fans
• Can't find a reasonable way to crown a college football champion: NCAA/BCS/Media rights vs. 'Let 'em prove it on the field' kids and colleges
• Cheating, steroids, payoffs, forced-retirements in baseball: Rules, Records, HOF admissions vs. the paying fans and the message to kids
• A cheap, schoolyard common slur turning into an embarrassment, a movement, protest, and piddly fine for a future HOFer in basketball.

Even your free-time entertainment is sick and dying, and you can't fix even that. I don't hold a lot of hope for your political situation in that context, since sports for me was always a release from everyday life. Fun. Does anybody really know how to have 'just plain fun' any more? Or be a 'gracious loser' sometimes?
post #37 of 38
Quote:

Did he apply for the Apple job himself or did Apple recruit him?
post #38 of 38
Quote:

Wonder if he used Unix in the data center?… or if he was hobbled by servers running Windoze?

Unlike Apple, Microsoft does not make computers. So it doesn't matter whether Microsoft uses servers from Dell, HP, IBM, or Oracle, as long as they run Windows.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple woos data center guru away from rival Microsoft