or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.3.2 with fixes for FaceTime, 3G networks

Apple releases iOS 4.3.2 with fixes for FaceTime, 3G networks - Page 2

post #41 of 53
oh ya, i sure wish my cable internet provider gave me more than 250gb!!!! of data before they ask questions....
seriously man, anyone who wants to download a file that large on 3g deserves whatever chargews they incur.

edited to say it was in response to SuperAss's post
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Skype is eating their lunch? Boy, you have a weird view of reality! By what metric??

But mainly user experience of video chat under 3G kinda sucks. Same reason you need broadband to use video iChat. Sure, Apple technically *could* pump iChat video over dialup, but it looks and sounds terrible.

Sorry, just meant most of the 'weird' people i know that use Skype in lieu of FaceTime. Mainly not because of 3G but because Skype is also on PC's/android etc. Bunch of weirdo's I know, what can I say. Everyone knows iOS is the dominant os in the world... Oh wait....d'oh!

As for quality, whole different conversation. Dialup... Whats that?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I guess the question is, how long did you have it plugged into USB while it was downloading the update and then applying it? The phone would have been charging that time.

The Powerbook 15 USB port wasn't recharging the device. ITunes reported as such. The ability to get a more efficient read of actual power available doesn't surprise me with this update.
post #44 of 53
For those with GLView to test prior and post iOS 4.3.2 you can see there are improvements on the stack.
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So once again, where did he specifically promise 3G FaceTime in 2011? I didn't hear him say we promise it'll be available in 2011. Just because we're wi-fi only in 2010 doesn't mean it can't extend to 2011.

Correct. the comment doesn't promise when things might change. Just that it isn't totally in their control and they didn't foresee it changing in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I wasn't asked, but sorry, there was no promise, inference yes, promise no. However, tis naught but a trifle... on the to the important question-

What is holding them up for 3G facetime? Skype is eating their lunch. There must be some reason.

Sure. The reason is that Skype is willing to let you rack up carrier charges. If you look at the app info they make mention that 3g use could have added charges from your operator. thus the calls aren't really 'free'

Apple is not yet ready to play that game. Especially with ATT offering such tiny plans .

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #46 of 53
Obligatory "It's snappier!" post... on iPad 2.
post #47 of 53
It's appropriate to say that hardware upgrading in all three iPs is going uphill but when it comes to development of iOS then it's not going downhill but unsettlingly straight. Especially in light of Android eating away significant portion of smartphone OS market according to IDC & Gartner. But what I am worried about is RIM Playbook OS.

Apple seriously need to rethink about multitasking now. A year ago they had said "We want to do it right" in terms of consuming minimum amount of battery but variety of burn tests performed on these PPDs show that though the apps are minimized during multitasking, it still drinks up more than little juice from battery. Even I have also observed & measured these on my iPod touch 4G. Plus it's easier & attractive to multi task on RIM OS.

In addition RIM tab has integrated dual core processor with it's first model so most of the apps are designed to take an advantage of dual core. And their Appworld is bustling with 3000 apps. I know that it's significantly less then App store but their OS ecosystem looks promising & rich with support of WebKit, SMP, Posix OS, Open GL, adobe flash and adobe mobile AIR. Remarkably their in-app subscriptions based news & magazine apps are going to take an advantage of Flash support.

With real time access to basic office utilities, BBM & introducing BlackBerry Bridge it makes life easy for IT and security admins. The Bluetooth tethering between the PlayBook and a BlackBerry smartphone lets users access and view email and other data from the smartphone in a larger format for suited for productivity. Though they need to fix up the sync issue.

About those OS bugs & crashes, they will fix it in upcoming updates & battery life can be improved in future models. But with Blackberry enterprise, secure corporate data access & window and ability to give out Power point presentations via HDMI plus 4G LTE, HSPA+ support makes Playbook a solid contender in terms business incorporation & other vertical markets.

When we evaluate the hardware specifications than with 1 GB RAM, 1080p HD video rec., 3/5 f/r cameras, superior codecs for media playback & Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports are all the positive features which are needed in iPad 3 which I doubt not all will appear. And at least not in 2011 as those early iPad 3 rumors are almost diminished.

Apple needs to be further advanced & to maintain their groundbreaking state-of-the-art iPad status on both Software & Hardware pioneering terms.
post #48 of 53
Well 4.3.2 fixed the 3G connection issues I had with my iPad 2.

I keep the ipad in airplane mode with wifi on at home to prevent any 3G data usage but when reenabling 3G i had to enable/disable cellular data a few times before it would let actually get a data connection even though it showed that I had a 3G connection. After going to 4.3.2 it connects as soon as I enable 3G.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardik View Post

It's appropriate to say that hardware upgrading in all three iPs is going uphill but when it comes to development of iOS then it's not going downhill but unsettlingly straight. Especially in light of Android eating away significant portion of smartphone OS market according to IDC & Gartner. But what I am worried about is RIM Playbook OS.

Apple seriously need to rethink about multitasking now. A year ago they had said "We want to do it right" in terms of consuming minimum amount of battery but variety of burn tests performed on these PPDs show that though the apps are minimized during multitasking, it still drinks up more than little juice from battery. Even I have also observed & measured these on my iPod touch 4G. Plus it's easier & attractive to multi task on RIM OS.

In addition RIM tab has integrated dual core processor with it's first model so most of the apps are designed to take an advantage of dual core. And their Appworld is bustling with 3000 apps. I know that it's significantly less then App store but their OS ecosystem looks promising & rich with support of WebKit, SMP, Posix OS, Open GL, adobe flash and adobe mobile AIR. Remarkably their in-app subscriptions based news & magazine apps are going to take an advantage of Flash support.

With real time access to basic office utilities, BBM & introducing BlackBerry Bridge it makes life easy for IT and security admins. The Bluetooth tethering between the PlayBook and a BlackBerry smartphone lets users access and view email and other data from the smartphone in a larger format for suited for productivity. Though they need to fix up the sync issue.

About those OS bugs & crashes, they will fix it in upcoming updates & battery life can be improved in future models. But with Blackberry enterprise, secure corporate data access & window and ability to give out Power point presentations via HDMI plus 4G LTE, HSPA+ support makes Playbook a solid contender in terms business incorporation & other vertical markets.

When we evaluate the hardware specifications than with 1 GB RAM, 1080p HD video rec., 3/5 f/r cameras, superior codecs for media playback & Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports are all the positive features which are needed in iPad 3 which I doubt not all will appear. And at least not in 2011 as those early iPad 3 rumors are almost diminished.

Apple needs to be further advanced & to maintain their groundbreaking state-of-the-art iPad status on both Software & Hardware pioneering terms.

This is spam at worst, hideously obvious astroturfing at best.
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is spam at worst, hideously obvious astroturfing at best.

Agree. An obvious fluff post for RIM sandwiched between two Apple slices.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #51 of 53
Just a note: Photos app on iPad 2 is laggy when dealing with larger images. I think they took off some of the optimisations on iPad 1 thinking the dual-core processor could handle it but you can Google the iPad 2 issues... I was quite surprised to discover this issue yesterday.

Looking forward to 4.3.3 to fix this niggle.

That's what I'm saying about the cohesion at Apple. With Steve unwell, it ain't as tight as it could be, though, they are still years ahead of the competition in many aspects.

Steve really just crafted such a grand masterpiece in the past 10 years, while being quite ill for a lot of that time. I just wish he was back in the picture more and feeling better... but at the same time we have to admit how addicted we've become to how great Apple is, and what a truly revolutionary company it became during Steve's return, flying in the face of the normal corporate garbage.
post #52 of 53
I tend to agree. Apple has been uncharacteristically "sloppy" in a couple of their most recent software updates. They're also having issues getting a handle on iPad2 production, coupled with reported delays with the iPhone5. Now this morning AI has posted a rumor that the new iPhone will be largely the same as the current 4. That's not what most Apple buyers would expect with competing manufacturers aggressively adding improved features and much better hardware at a rapid clip.

Mr. Jobs illness may figure heavily into this as you suggest Nvidia. They've been so spot-on the past three years, the recent supply issues Apple is finding may get more negative press than they deserve, with Apple singled out as uniquely affected. If Steve Jobs does not return to his daily Apple duties the market may also react poorly, losing faith in Apple's ability to stay on path without him at the helm. You know how analysts can be.

IMO, the next 12 months look as challenging as any Apple has had recently.
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

666.2 mb

This update is from the Devil!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.3.2 with fixes for FaceTime, 3G networks