or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › New 13" MBP Fan/Operating Temps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New 13" MBP Fan/Operating Temps

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

I have a new MBP with I7 and SSD options.

When I watch almost any video the fans come on quite quickly which is annoying. Also, while watching video I seem to run around 90+ degrees Celsius. Does this seem normal?

I just seems like the computer is so sensitive and the fans are always on. Even right now I'm not watching video and I'm at ~77 degrees Celsius. At rest I seem to be around 50.

Just want to make sure this is normal for the new system.

Thanks,
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

...video... 90+ degrees Celsius.

For Flash video, yes. Get Click2Flash and download the Flash 10.3 beta.

Quote:
Even right now I'm not watching video and I'm at ~77 degrees Celsius. At rest I seem to be around 50.

Normal as can be.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
I was using click4flash when i was using safari. However, safari when I would watch movies in flash would freeze for a long period of time making watching shows/movies miserable.

I started using Chrome and so far no problems there. Just sick of hearing the fans all the time!@
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

When I watch almost any video the fans come on quite quickly which is annoying. Also, while watching video I seem to run around 90+ degrees Celsius. Does this seem normal?

I just seems like the computer is so sensitive and the fans are always on. Even right now I'm not watching video and I'm at ~77 degrees Celsius. At rest I seem to be around 50.

Those temperatures seem a bit high to me but have been reported before. The i7 MBP has been measured at 100C while doing raw rendering and that's considered to be pretty hot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/38724-c...-to-blame.html

Do you have the MBP sitting on your lap or cloth/bed/carpet etc)? If so, it's best to have it on a hard flat surface, especially surfaces made of material that is generally cool like metal or plastic.

If you watch Flash movies, upgrade to the latest player if you haven't to benefit from hardware-acceleration, which should lower CPU usage.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Those temperatures seem a bit high to me but have been reported before. The i7 MBP has been measured at 100C while doing raw rendering and that's considered to be pretty hot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/38724-c...-to-blame.html

Do you have the MBP sitting on your lap or cloth/bed/carpet etc)? If so, it's best to have it on a hard flat surface, especially surfaces made of material that is generally cool like metal or plastic.

If you watch Flash movies, upgrade to the latest player if you haven't to benefit from hardware-acceleration, which should lower CPU usage.

Marvin the latest adobe flash player is a headache.It skips clips when I watch msnbc political shows and I wish I can use the old one 10.1 instead of 10.2.A lot of guys are miserable with this 10.2 player now. Thanks
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Marvin the latest adobe flash player is a headache.It skips clips when I watch msnbc political shows and I wish I can use the old one 10.1 instead of 10.2.A lot of guys are miserable with this 10.2 player now. Thanks

10.2 is infinitely better than 10.1. It's still a whore for resources, but it's not an entire brothel. 10.3 is even a little better than 10.2.

The problems you are having lie in the sites you're using. They need to update. Complain to them.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

10.2 is infinitely better than 10.1. It's still a whore for resources, but it's not an entire brothel. 10.3 is even a little better than 10.2.

The problems you are having lie in the sites you're using. They need to update. Complain to them.

You are telling me that MSNBC the video player is not functioning correctly? This hust happened about 5 days ago.Before it was perfect. I downloaded 10.3 Beta tonight and it skips to the next clip and when I start is just says video is loading and nothing happens. What can be done about this?
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

10.2 is infinitely better than 10.1. It's still a whore for resources, but it's not an entire brothel. 10.3 is even a little better than 10.2.

The problems you are having lie in the sites you're using. They need to update. Complain to them.

In this 10.3 beta version could there perhaps be bugs in there? Nothing is perfect in life.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

In this 10.3 beta version could there perhaps be bugs in there? Nothing is perfect in life.

Oh, I'm sure there are. It's a beta, after all. My point is that you'll see, hear, and feel a difference in its use of your CPU use, fans, and temperatures, respectively.

Particularly if you watch use in Activity Monitor or iStat and compare the bars between 10.1 and 10.2/3.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I'm sure there are. It's a beta, after all. My point is that you'll see, hear, and feel a difference in its use of your CPU use, fans, and temperatures, respectively.

Particularly if you watch use in Activity Monitor or iStat and compare the bars between 10.1 and 10.2/3.

I have i stat installed and there is a small difference between them.Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › New 13" MBP Fan/Operating Temps