or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What GOP Candidate will run against Obama in 2012

What GOP Candidate will run against Obama in 2012

post #1 of 13
Who do you think in your own opinion in the GOP Party will run against Obama in 2012?
post #2 of 13
Too soon to tell.
post #3 of 13
Several Republicans have already announced they are running.

Who will get the GOP nomination is a different question entirely.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #4 of 13
I was going to start a thread, but I see this one is already here. Has anyone's opinion changed recently? I think things are looking different.

Right now, Romney is the man to beat. He is not facing challenges from Trump, Huckabee, McCain or Guiliani. As of now, his only real challenger is Ron Paul. This could change if Mitch Daniels runs, or possibly Rick Perry of Texas. Romney enjoys huge financial and organizational advantages over ALL of these candidates and potential candidates. His remaining problem is healthcare. He needs to explain the reasons for RomneyCare, what he's learned from it, and why it won't work at the federal level. He should attempt to turn it into a qualification.

On the other side, I think it's possible Obama faces a primary challenge. I'd bet against it, but he's upset a lot of his Lefty base and more conservative democrats. The days of "soccer moms" are over. I also think Obama is gravely underestimating the resentment and anger of the electorate. They are angry because they feel he is out to change the fabric of America, which they don't want. Then there are those who are fuming about the deficit as well. Obama is guilty of reading not just his own press, but the wrong press. His generic approval numbers are not great, but they are half decent. This is one time I think that the approval number is not indicative of the mood of most of the country. Worse still, he's having trouble with his base getting fired up. Oh, and recently...he pissed off a whole bunch of jews, who traditionally are Democrats.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPol...aspx?id=221397

In short I think Obama is very vulnerable. The media is singing a different tune, claiming that catching bin Laden is a huge and long-lasting boost, and that the Republican field is weak and open. They sang the same song in 2008. Of course, in 2004 it was all about how beatable Bush was, and how strong the Dem field was. Same old, same old, I suppose.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #5 of 13
Confirmation bias on your view of the "mood" of the country.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #6 of 13
This guy looks interesting.

What's even more interesting is that, apparently, he's a Tea Party "favorite."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

This guy looks interesting.

What's even more interesting is that, apparently, he's a Tea Party "favorite."

...that I'm willing to bet 95% of people who associate with the Tea Party had never even heard of until today.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...that I'm willing to bet 95% of people who associate with the Tea Party had never even heard of until today.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Apparently he spoke at a number (approx. 40) of Tea Party rallies last year (and some in New Hampshire, Iowa, Michigan and Texas, Atlanta and Las Vegas in the last few weeks) and he won a Tea Party straw poll earlier this year.

post #9 of 13
I think it will be Romney. Democrats nominate who they fall in love with, and Republicans nominate who has the most seniority.

I like Romney. I don't like the Republican party. Unfortunately, it's the Republican party who will have to nominate, and so any nominee will have to go crazy and say evolution and global warming are hoaxes of scientific liberals, tax cuts reduce the deficit, ObamaRomneyCare is Fascist Communism, the gays are taking over, torture is a basic American value, and if we could only reduce the pay of teachers, police, and firemen then our country would finally be on the right track.

I hope the Republicans nominate someone they really want - a Michelle Bachman or some other full-on tea party birther type conspiracist. Then when they get Goldwatered maybe they'll come back more rational. Let them really get it out of their system.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I was going to start a thread, but I see this one is already here. Has anyone's opinion changed recently? I think things are looking different.

Right now, Romney is the man to beat. He is not facing challenges from Trump, Huckabee, McCain or Guiliani. As of now, his only real challenger is Ron Paul. This could change if Mitch Daniels runs, or possibly Rick Perry of Texas. Romney enjoys huge financial and organizational advantages over ALL of these candidates and potential candidates. His remaining problem is healthcare. He needs to explain the reasons for RomneyCare, what he's learned from it, and why it won't work at the federal level. He should attempt to turn it into a qualification.

On the other side, I think it's possible Obama faces a primary challenge. I'd bet against it, but he's upset a lot of his Lefty base and more conservative democrats. The days of "soccer moms" are over. I also think Obama is gravely underestimating the resentment and anger of the electorate. They are angry because they feel he is out to change the fabric of America, which they don't want. Then there are those who are fuming about the deficit as well. Obama is guilty of reading not just his own press, but the wrong press. His generic approval numbers are not great, but they are half decent. This is one time I think that the approval number is not indicative of the mood of most of the country. Worse still, he's having trouble with his base getting fired up. Oh, and recently...he pissed off a whole bunch of jews, who traditionally are Democrats.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPol...aspx?id=221397

In short I think Obama is very vulnerable. The media is singing a different tune, claiming that catching bin Laden is a huge and long-lasting boost, and that the Republican field is weak and open. They sang the same song in 2008. Of course, in 2004 it was all about how beatable Bush was, and how strong the Dem field was. Same old, same old, I suppose.

I think this is right, but I don't think it's personal towards Obama (that he wants to change the fabric of America). That's the subtle message about his race and name, but it's not really what makes his reelection uncertain. It's not even about the deficit, which is due ~90% to Republican policies like the Bush tax cuts anyway. It's much more simple - it's the economy and unemployment. If unemployment stays up around 9, I don't think he's in office in 2013. If unemployment is down a couple percent, he's in.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I think it will be Romney. Democrats nominate who they fall in love with, and Republicans nominate who has the most seniority.

I like Romney. I don't like the Republican party. Unfortunately, it's the Republican party who will have to nominate, and so any nominee will have to go crazy and say evolution and global warming are hoaxes of scientific liberals, tax cuts reduce the deficit, ObamaRomneyCare is Fascist Communism, the gays are taking over, torture is a basic American value, and if we could only reduce the pay of teachers, police, and firemen then our country would finally be on the right track.

I hope the Republicans nominate someone they really want - a Michelle Bachman or some other full-on tea party birther type conspiracist. Then when they get Goldwatered maybe they'll come back more rational. Let them really get it out of their system.

Seriously. The return of a rational second party would do wonders for this country.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I think this is right, but I don't think it's personal towards Obama (that he wants to change the fabric of America). That's the subtle message about his race and name, but it's not really what makes his reelection uncertain. It's not even about the deficit, which is due ~90% to Republican policies like the Bush tax cuts anyway. It's much more simple - it's the economy and unemployment. If unemployment stays up around 9, I don't think he's in office in 2013. If unemployment is down a couple percent, he's in.

Jobs are the number one priority in the U.S. now and the economy I agree with you 100%.Not even foreign policy is contingent on his winning the election really.People care about working and supporting their families and themselves.\
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Seriously. The return of a rational second party would do wonders for this country.

That's true. One can only hope the Democrats come back to reality.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What GOP Candidate will run against Obama in 2012