or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Advice on Magic Trackpad

Advice on Magic Trackpad

post #1 of 4
Does anyone have any comments about how a Magic Trackpad performs versus the trackpad on a late 2010 Macbook Pro. I'm growing more and more frustrated with the trackpad on my Macbook since it seems to only be able to reliably register my clicks if I click in the absolute center of the trackpad. Also sometimes it doesn't register tap clicks, so I'll have to push the whole trackpad down to do a real click.....but in the center of the trackpad.

This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's making me miss my mouse. Does the Magic Trackpad perform any better?
post #2 of 4
The magic trackpad click points are actually the feet underneath so like a laptop trackpad, clicking in some areas will be more reliable than others - you can see the feet clicking in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I6csE4IKw

You have to use it on a hard flat surface for tactile clicking, so it's not great for mobility. When I tried one out, it felt a bit better than the laptop trackpads but they are fairly similar - the Magic Trackpad advantage is the size IMO as well as being able to position it where you want.

If you aren't finding the laptop trackpad good, I wouldn't recommend getting a Magic Trackpad. Get a mobile mouse and use it in conjunction with the laptop trackpad.
post #3 of 4
Thanks Marvin.
post #4 of 4
Marvin has steered me in the right direction since I've been an AI member, so I usually hang on his every word. To me, he is the consummate MacTech; however, I don't think he went far enough in his advice on an MTP.

When I bought my 2010 iMac, it came with the Magic Mouse, and I forced myself to put aside my beloved 8 button/wheel rechargeable Revolution Logitech and battery Evolution mice. After a few months, I tried using the rechargeable Logitech when I didn't have fresh batteries for the MM. I found it was so much clumsier than the MM and hurriedly went back to the MM.

I've not had a MB with a trackpad, but I became curious about the Magic Track Pad. I bought one and hated it. I couldn't make it grab what I wanted because I couldn't manage the rapid double tap. A long time later, I tried using it when I played MacSolitaire, which I do when I'm waiting for something. I found that I had extremely good control with the MTP without the constant annoying audible clicking; I learned to do the rapid double tap; and I also started using the click feature. I've gone from hating the MTP to not being able to do without it. The practice using it with MacSolitaire made all the difference. Now I would never go back to having to grip an ordinary, bulky, clumsy mouse like the Logitech Revolution and even the (smaller version) Evolution mouse. They are just too clumsy after using the MTP and the MM which I can play with my fingertips and have no wrist pain.

I admit that it takes a while to get used to using them, but now I use the MTP and the MM interchangeably without thinking about how to do something. The strokes are different, but It's like touch typing; your fingers don't forget.

Anyway, if you want instant success, take Marvin's advice and get a regular mouse; If you're willing to overcome your resistance to it, try the MTP, but It may take a while and you may lose patience.

I don't know how a laptop pad works, but my MTP works anywhere on its surface. I don't have to find the center.

BTW, there's a thread on AI about the upcoming Lyon scroll bars being hidden. After reading many of the posts, I realized that since I've been using the MTP, I haven't been using the scroll bars. Two swipes of my finger on the MTP can go from top to bottom of the document. I don't have to reach over for the scroll bar or up/down arrows.

Hey! With this kind of testimonial, maybe I could get a job touting the MTP for Apple.
ADS
ADS
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Advice on Magic Trackpad