or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple launches new Support Communities social online forums

Apple launches new Support Communities social online forums

post #1 of 45
Apple has gone live with the Apple Support Communities support forum upgrade it announced last year, adding social network features and replacing the Apple Discussions board.

Apple announced the new Support Communities upgrade to its online forums last August on the Apple Discussions board.

"Apple Support Communities brings together thousands of Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and iPad users from around the world to discuss Apple products and topics," the official introduction read. "Apple Support communities provides a wealth of information about your favorite Apple hardware and software products to help you get the most out of your purchase. And, in the spirit of community, you can also help other Apple Support Communities' users by answering their questions."

As first reported by MacStories, Apple has officially launched its newly redesigned forums, which add a highly social element to the support forums.

Users are encouraged to browse through "communities" to find one focused on the relevant product or topic, then join the discussion by replying or liking posts. Those who don't find the answer they're looking for can easily submit a question to the community.

To join ASC, users simply sign in using their Apple ID, select a username for the Community and then approve the new ASC terms and conditions.

A new "Your View" section with customizable widgets allow for a personalized experience and layout with modular content categories from both outside or inside the community.

The "Your Stuff" section of ASC includes Bookmarks, Discussions, Documents, Communities and Notifications, as well as a Preference and Profile.

The ASC user interface takes inspiration from the iPad and iOS, with frequent use of popover menus and overlays.

ASC members can customize their profiles with photos and avatars, which include iconic Apple products such as the original iMac, clamshell iBook and first-generation iPod.

Apple has outlined a "Community Etiquette" policy for ASC:
Post only technical support questions and answers, unless otherwise noted.
Be polite, constructive and stay on topic.
Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community.
Reward helpful community members by marking answers to your questions helpful and correct.
Avoid speculation and rumors.
Users who submit helpful and correct responses will continue to receive reputation points, which contribute to an increase in status level, thereby unlocking greater privileges, though it's not immediately clear what those privileges entail.

Apple has been systematically revamping the support section of its website. In January, the company added a Support Profile site that allows users to track repair and support activities for their products.
post #2 of 45
Check your privacy settings. For some reason, my phone number and home address came up as Visible to: Everyone from the old discussions board.

And it's probably more generically secure to change anything that you want the world to see from Everyone to Registered Users.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #3 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Check your privacy settings. For some reason, my phone number and home address came up as Visible to: Everyone from the old discussions board.

And it's probably more generically secure to change anything that you want the world to see from Everyone to Registered Users.

When you edit your profile, these fields are not there. There is no place to add this info.

However, you are correct that those fields should default to Yourself (not Registered users).

I have notified the mods there.

Oh, and you are now subscribed to 14 magazines such as "Big 'Uns" and similar titles as well as having your name and phone number submitted to as various charities.
You can expect delivery and solicitations to begin in 7 to 14 days…
post #4 of 45
Quote:

*gasp*, it's also in the phone book!
post #5 of 45
This move further strengthens the Apple Ecosystem. What Apple should do is not only this but something similar to a wikipedia relevant to everything Apple;

CGC
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Oh, and you are now subscribed to 14 magazines such as "Big 'Uns" and similar titles as well as having your name and phone number submitted to as various charities.
You can expect delivery and solicitations to begin in 7 to 14 days…

Do you have proof that Apple is selling member information to various charities? Or are you just being yourself, and speculating the worst of Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

A database of names of Apple customers has greater value to solicitors than that of the names in a generic phonebook. Hsving stated the aforementioned, it is true also that marketeers and demographic analysts can learn a lot about a person or a family from the ZIP Code or Area Code (Phone).

CGC
post #7 of 45
Quote:

My profile defaulted to "Yourself." Apple is very protective of its customers.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Do you have proof that Apple is selling member information to various charities?

Why would I need proof? I never suggested they were selling anything.
Are you serious? I surely wasn't, as anyone without a stick up their ass could easily tell, based on the -> I inserted at the end of my post as well as the general tone of my post.
And I was jokingly hinting that some of the posters in the forums/spiders/SPAMbots had already gotten his info since it defaults to show everyone. However, since this info cannot even be added to the current or past forum database, it cannot be displayed so noe one could have gotten this info
Quote:
Or are you just being yourself, and speculating the worst of Apple?

What are you on about? "Being myself"?
Show me any post where I have speculated "the worst of Apple?"

"Lighten up Francis"
(I know your name is not Francis. This is a quote from the movie "Stripes" with Bill Murray in which Francis aka "Killer" is far too serious and the drill instructor tells him to calm down)
post #9 of 45
Quote:

Oh, and you are now subscribed to 14 magazines such as "Big 'Uns" and similar titles...

Yay hope they send me some free samples.
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Do you have proof that Apple is selling member information to various charities? Or are you just being yourself, and speculating the worst of Apple?

A database of names of Apple customers has greater value to solicitors than that of the names in a generic phonebook. Hsving stated the aforementioned, it is true also that marketeers and demographic analysts can learn a lot about a person or a family from the ZIP Code or Area Code (Phone).

CGC

Pill. Chill. You Take.
post #11 of 45
Check your privacy settings. You'll find your phone number is currently set to "visible to everyone".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

My profile defaulted to "Yourself." Apple is very protective of its customers.

Not so protective of me, however. Home address and phone number public? Really?
post #13 of 45
I only had real name and email address filled, both were set to "yourself". All other info was set to "everyone" but they were blank fields.
post #14 of 45
Quote:

Really? My username is in the phone book?
post #15 of 45
The global timeline is pretty much nonsense, it is about as useful as the global timeline of Twitter, way too much traffic. Well, at least they have not added a Dickbar yet.
Instead of the global timeline they should have kept for space for selecting the categories which now requires a lot more scrolling.

Which is a general problem of their discussions, way too much traffic. Whenever you post something, it will last only a very few hours on the first page even if you drill down to their lowest category. Maybe if you are lucky you will get one or two replies before the thread gets washed away into the history. Only issues which affect a lot of people (and thus people will start to search for) are really discussed there. But even then, the threads very often get out of hand (ie, reading through hundreds of posts is just not practical).

And now all their pages prompt a browser warning about mixing secure and insecure elements, great job.

So, ok what did they add (improve)?
- documents and announcement categories
- life search
- searching for strings, except naturally that it still does not work properly, eg, searching for 'raw images' still shows results which contain only the single words not the whole term (and not just behind all posts which really contain 'raw images' but intermingled with them)
- thread view
- and they increased the font size as their slow contribution to compensate for ever higher dpi displays
post #16 of 45
"Avoid speculation and rumors."

good thing they put that in there or we might all be on their site whispering about what we think they might do next...
and AI could be out of business
post #17 of 45
I see no rule about not discussing third-party software (I was told previously by posters there that I should not discuss third-party software on Apple's discussion forums to which I answered, tough luck, I discuss there what I want to discuss as long as it is a technical problem about using Apple products).
post #18 of 45
Ireland, do you realize you have more posts than Kasper's Automated Slave, and it joined nearly ten years earlier than you...
That's awesome, simply awesome
post #19 of 45
Quote:

What's a "phone book"?
post #20 of 45
The interface is certainly very web 2.0 or is it 3.0! I like it. Now give us the wysiwig tools to create sites liie this will ya Apple!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What's a "phone book"?

It's an expensively modified tree for holding up the corner of your work bench.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Only if you gave them permission to put it there.

You actually have to pay them to have it unlisted.

Quote:
What's a "phone book"?

http://www.whitepages.com/
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Ireland, do you realize you have more posts than Kasper's Automated Slave, and it joined nearly ten years earlier than you...

Cool.
post #24 of 45

I would prefer it if they fixed bugs, made features easy to use and discover and wrote lots of documentation.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The interface is certainly very web 2.0 or is it 3.0! I like it. Now give us the wysiwig tools to create sites liie this will ya Apple!

I wonder what Java server they are using. I have not been keeping track lately after Sun was acquired by Oracle. There are so many variants with Apache, Jakarta, Tomcat, Harmony etc. We can be pretty sure they aren't using Domino. But I find it significant that they finally settled on jsp rather than webobjects, php or Rails, perl, or python. This should be the sign of things to come with the new data center soon to go live.

But there are certainly no wysiwyg interfaces to my knowledge for jsp.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #26 of 45
Quote:

Phone book? How quaint. Most people I know haven't used a phone book in years, let alone been listed in one.

I don't have much good to say about Apple's forums. Many important questions go unanswered, and many answers contain opinions that are downright wrong and occasionally even dangerous. Rarely, if ever, are any corrected by anybody in the know at Apple. It's mostly a giant waste of time and horribly frustrating at best. I just can't see how this format change will improve anything.
post #27 of 45
I don't like the changes.

Due to a hard drive failure in an older intel iMac I had to reload OS 10.6 and had a problem with 802.11n not connecting. (802.11g would connect.) Went to the discussion groups like before to see what other people had tried. But the search with the best responses ("imac wifi not connected") came back with a flood of iPad and iPhone responses. I eventually found under Search Options an ability to limit my search to iMac(Intel) but I got an error message saying that I did not have proper privileges to view the results and to contact my administrator. WTF, who is my administrator?
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Nope. Maybe yours is, but mine's not.

post #29 of 45
I'd attach a screenshot of what it looks like... but I'm not "permitted"...

So, off to MacRumors.

Bye
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Went to the discussion groups like before to see what other people had tried. But the search with the best responses ("imac wifi not connected") came back with a flood of iPad and iPhone responses. I eventually found under Search Options an ability to limit my search to iMac(Intel)

I never found the search that great, you could not search for strings (as in "raw files"), you still cannot. Well, officially you can but it simply does not work, it returns also the results for individual terms which is pretty much beside the point.
post #31 of 45
My preferences were set as was posted earlier. Phone, home address and such were set to Everyone. Fortunately, they were blank. I have corrected this "oversight" on apples part. \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Phone book? How quaint. Most people I know haven't used a phone book in years, let alone been listed in one.

I don't have much good to say about Apple's forums. Many important questions go unanswered, and many answers contain opinions that are downright wrong and occasionally even dangerous. Rarely, if ever, are any corrected by anybody in the know at Apple. It's mostly a giant waste of time and horribly frustrating at best. I just can't see how this format change will improve anything.

Apple deleted a thread I started because I wanted to know how to connect a netbook to my Mac Book so I could use the CD/DVD drive. Some of the conversation mentioned using OSX on the netbook. I think it was very petty of Apple to do that. I had no intentions of using OSX on the netbook. I needed the Windows OS to run some specific programs. It was also going to be my spare computer.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Cool.

He was once the heart and soul of AppleInsider... Now he's just a bitter and twisted old man.

Heh, still love ya, Ireland. We had some good times, didn't we.

Though some of the memories, like of my past, now washed away like river stone.

Ireland was part of some of the big discussions before AppleInsider exploded with iPhone and iPad topics. When the Mac and fighting the PC was what "Mac users" were about, not "I have 20 Macs and I am a Mac user but I hate Apple because etc etc etc". Before everyone and their dog started buying up iPhones and iPads, there was a time when the Mac was actually quaint and not "mainstream" like the iPhone and iPad... Yea, that was just a few years ago.

Now we have Lion with all sorts of foofarah cobbled together to make it more iOS-like.
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I'd attach a screenshot of what it looks like... but I'm not "permitted"...

So, off to MacRumors.

Bye

Huh? On AppleInsider you have to use an image hosting website then just embed the image in your post. AFAIK we don't have attachments for this forums. Not a dealbreaker, IMHO.

Good luck wading through the madness that is Macrumors forums. I left it like at least 3 years ago when it became unmanageable.
post #35 of 45
Seems the Apple Support Communities site is down. Perhaps they are fixing the privacy settings...
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Seems the Apple Support Communities site is down.

Working fine here.
Quote:
Perhaps they are fixing the privacy settings...

Yes, it is being looked at.
post #37 of 45
Quote:

Working fine here.

Yes, it is being looked at.

Still not working for me, unless i browse as a guest. Maybe it's working for people who have already used the service. But when I try to sign in the first time, I get this:

post #38 of 45
Anyone know what product Apple built their support communities on top of? Or, did they develop this in house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has gone live with the Apple Support Communities support forum upgrade it announced last year, adding social network features and replacing the Apple Discussions board.

Apple announced the new Support Communities upgrade to its online forums last August on the Apple Discussions board.

"Apple Support Communities brings together thousands of Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and iPad users from around the world to discuss Apple products and topics," the official introduction read. "Apple Support communities provides a wealth of information about your favorite Apple hardware and software products to help you get the most out of your purchase. And, in the spirit of community, you can also help other Apple Support Communities' users by answering their questions."

As first reported by MacStories, Apple has officially launched its newly redesigned forums, which add a highly social element to the support forums.

Users are encouraged to browse through "communities" to find one focused on the relevant product or topic, then join the discussion by replying or liking posts. Those who don't find the answer they're looking for can easily submit a question to the community.

To join ASC, users simply sign in using their Apple ID, select a username for the Community and then approve the new ASC terms and conditions.

A new "Your View" section with customizable widgets allow for a personalized experience and layout with modular content categories from both outside or inside the community.

The "Your Stuff" section of ASC includes Bookmarks, Discussions, Documents, Communities and Notifications, as well as a Preference and Profile.

The ASC user interface takes inspiration from the iPad and iOS, with frequent use of popover menus and overlays.

ASC members can customize their profiles with photos and avatars, which include iconic Apple products such as the original iMac, clamshell iBook and first-generation iPod.

Apple has outlined a "Community Etiquette" policy for ASC:
Post only technical support questions and answers, unless otherwise noted.
Be polite, constructive and stay on topic.
Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community.
Reward helpful community members by marking answers to your questions helpful and correct.
Avoid speculation and rumors.
Users who submit helpful and correct responses will continue to receive reputation points, which contribute to an increase in status level, thereby unlocking greater privileges, though it's not immediately clear what those privileges entail.

Apple has been systematically revamping the support section of its website. In January, the company added a Support Profile site that allows users to track repair and support activities for their products.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

My preferences were set as was posted earlier. Phone, home address and such were set to Everyone. Fortunately, they were blank. I have corrected this "oversight" on apples part. \

Exactly. The potential danger in my mind being that Apple has all that information which could easily be pulled from their other systems -- at some later point -- without my knowledge.

Frankly, it makes me rethink using the same email address for my Apple transactions. My Apple ID is used for all-things-iTunes, all online orders, emailed receipts from the local Apple Store, and probably a few other places that don't come to mind off the top of my head...

post #40 of 45
Quote:

Exactly. The potential danger in my mind being that Apple has all that information which could easily be pulled from their other systems -- at some later point -- without my knowledge.

Frankly, it makes me rethink using the same email address for my Apple transactions. My Apple ID is used for all-things-iTunes, all online orders, emailed receipts from the local Apple Store, and probably a few other places that don't come to mind off the top of my head...

The Discussions and iTunes are two completely different accounts. I don't think apple would try to match them up, however having your email address display by default would be wrong. I set everything on mine as private as soon as I read about the issue. I don't remember if the email was displaying by default or not. The only other personal data I had in there was my state.

Apple doesn't do 'social' very well do they?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple launches new Support Communities social online forums