or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Customers frustrated with lack of stock for Best Buy iPad 2 promotion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customers frustrated with lack of stock for Best Buy iPad 2 promotion - Page 2

post #41 of 110
So what the **** was the promotion all about?
post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I have not had any of the problems folks are talking about regarding Best Buy. Then again I don't buy things like power strips and extended warranty plans etc. And also I generally know what I want and how much it is and how whether they have it in stock or not.

When I bought my 2011 MacBook Pro - I asked for what I wanted - he looked it up - found it in the cage - and I bought it and left - can't even recall if he offered the extended warranty - if so I refused and the transaction proceeded.

The best part - no interest for 18 months - and $50 back in rewards dollars towards a future purchase.

Sounds like you did pretty well. I usually did well with Best Buy, though I don't like being pestered or the occasional guilt trip to convince people to buy warranty plans. I don't buy from them much anymore though.
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm pretty sure that is a different scope. I mean down 1-2% from Friday, which I think is much closer to the time frame of the person I was replying to. Apple is down less than 1% from opening this morning.

... on the other hand... Best Buy (BBY) has been on a slow and steady decline for the last 5 years... but they do give a dividend...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #44 of 110
Best buy is the most ghetto fucked up places to witness the lower half of humanity outside of walmart.
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post

Yep.. I dont know why Apple, with it's AWESOME image for customer satisfaction would even CONSIDER going to BestBuy as an outlet for their products..

Between their ploys for forcing magazine subscriptions on to you, having different prices on the "inside the store version" of the website, to various other forms of advertisement trickery, or their ridiculous restocking fees, I stay away from all things related to Best Buy at all costs. NO WAY would I buy the iPad there..

Try shopping there this decade, please.

1) The magazine stuff has been gone for a long, long time.
2)The in-store web site is exactly the same as the one on your computer at home.
3)Restocking fees do not exist for ANYTHING anymore. They were removed before this past Christmas season.

and 4) stop spreading fud, try shopping there this decade, and don't expect Best Buy to have tons of iPad 2's when Apple's own stores don't have any in. Just because they advertise it and sell out does not make it trickery, it simply means it's a hot item. Apple advertises the iPad 2 at their retail stores, and tv, in print ads, on web sites... and they are sold out too. Is that Apple being tricky too?
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

they were trying to bait-and-switch to sell off their Xooms,

As stupid as this sounds, I honestly would not put it past Worst Buy to have had this as one of their motives.
post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

2)The in-store web site is exactly the same as the one on your computer at home.

Only after a class action suit against them when there was SOLID proof that the two used to differ, with higher prices on the in-store version of the website. And this was absolutely NOT a decade ago.
post #48 of 110
I happened to go into Best Buy for something else and as I approach the front door they had big signs taped to the doors "We do not have any iPad 2's in stock. We would be happy to take a reserve order though.". I had to chuckle.

Look if you're going to wait this long for the "instant gratification " of getting one the day you plunk down your cash, you've already waited 4-5 weeks.
post #49 of 110
I was first in line at Bowie, MD store and after waiting in cold and wind, was told when we got in that they had NO iPads, but we could reserve. I was told by their help line the day before that this SPECIFIC STORE would have them in Sunday. I believe they were holding them back. Note, that the leaked memo said EMPLOYEES could buy them. Screw Best Buy. I went home and bought mine directly through Apple.
post #50 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

So what the **** was the promotion all about?

It's called "Bait and Switch" my friend.
post #51 of 110
deleted
post #52 of 110
Best Buy strategy: use an iPad ad to get people in the door, and then maybe they will buy other stuff after they figure out we were yanking their chain.

Internal memo basically says they knew they wouldn't have enough stock, yet they ran the ad anyway. Misleading, but typical of Best Buy. And I bet their sales for that day spiked regardless of not having any iPads.
post #53 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow! They murdered that typeface. That is one ugly ad. Had to be done on Windows. Mac designers don't use Lucida Grande.

OS X should put up a warning if you try to install Lucida Grande on the Mac: "Warning this font sucks, do you really want to proceed?" with the buttons "No" and "Cancel"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #54 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askew View Post

I believe this is patently illegal.

I used to be in retail, and we had to be very careful about bait-and-switch laws. If a customer asked about something that was in a current advertisement, we were supposed to ask if they had seen something in the current ad, take the customer to the products and let them know it was for sale. Only at that point could we discuss anything else.

If we happened to be out of stock because of incredible demand or a delay in shipping (sometimes happens due to weather or other unforeseeable issues), we were required to offer a rain check and reserve stock for rain check holders as soon as it came in. We were also authorized to provide a suitable alternative of equal or greater value (if the customer is interested) at the same price or less.

Since there is no alternative here, they should simply pull customers on a list and perhaps provide some compensation (a small % discount or a $5-10 gift card?) for their trouble.

It makes no sense for them to do a promotion for a produce in short supply unless they are simply trying to trick people to come to the store. That's bad business. Unless they offer their customers something for their trouble (a gift card or discount), they are undermining the goodwill of their customers. That's one of the reasons behind the failure of Circuit City and CompUSA.

I had the same experience at the Columbia Heights store. First in a line of about 50, waited for a few hours, gates opened to a manager who said they had no iPad 2s (despite being the front page of flyer the store had distributed). When I expressed frustration I was told that I "could buy a $100 gift card from him and get on the waiting list for when they did have stock."

Plain and simple, they advertised sale of the iPad 2... not the chance to get on a waitlist for one.

That's what I get for ever shopping at a Best Buy...
post #55 of 110
I had a terrible experience with Best Buy where I was on the phone with their customer support for over 500 minutes over the course of two months. I vented about my experience on Best Buy's Facebook page. One of their reps contacted me and offered a free $50 gift card. I held out for $100 and surprisingly they gave it to me.

Sometimes it pays to complain.
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBunny View Post

It's called "Bait and Switch" my friend.

I'm already here and was willing to spend $499, so let's see if I can walk out with a consolation prize... Maybe that Taylor Swift CD or a Nintendo 3DS. This is how "Black Friday" works, in principle.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... on the other hand... Best Buy (BBY) has been on a slow and steady decline for the last 5 years... but they do give a dividend...

Yeah, I don't think the long term outlook for Best Buy is good.
post #58 of 110
Well I bought a good amount at 320 this morning which is pretty good since the stock gets lots of resistance to go lower at those prices point. If you take Apple cash pile into account P/E is getting very very low.

Apple now has the same P/E of companies that dont growth. It already rebound from this morning low so I dont think you are going to see it go under 320 anytime soon, unless its hit by major news like production problems or the death of SJ.
post #59 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

The whole iPad2 supply issue stinks, and it's not really Best Buys fault!!
It's totally Apple's fault!!

Its Apple fault yes and no, if you implied they are doing this on purpose, I dont think so. Keep in mind we are taking producing millions of unit per month here. Ipads are not tomato soup cans, they are computers. Do you have any idea how complicated managing production can be with all the components AND the finish product assembly line?
post #60 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

The whole iPad2 supply issue stinks, and it's not really Best Buys fault!!

It's totally Apple's fault!!

I really want a new iPad but I am not willing to play Apple's games!!

If more folks would feel the same way and refuse to buy them until they are really available!! Maybe Apple would take the hint and make sure that they have enough inventory before they make any product available!!

I am not forking over $100 on the off chance they will call me when it comes in!! Or stand in line at Apple store for hours on end! It is just WRONG!!!!

order online from apple and be patient. what's your hurry? only fools wait in line or get sucked in by BB trying to generate foot traffic.
post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Try shopping there this decade, please.

1) The magazine stuff has been gone for a long, long time.
2)The in-store web site is exactly the same as the one on your computer at home.
3)Restocking fees do not exist for ANYTHING anymore. They were removed before this past Christmas season.

and 4) stop spreading fud, try shopping there this decade, and don't expect Best Buy to have tons of iPad 2's when Apple's own stores don't have any in. Just because they advertise it and sell out does not make it trickery, it simply means it's a hot item. Apple advertises the iPad 2 at their retail stores, and tv, in print ads, on web sites... and they are sold out too. Is that Apple being tricky too?

...did you read how may posts are from people who were first/in front of the line? how did they get sold out when they were there BEFORE the store opened?

.. and their INTRANET site is not exactly the same as their public website - if you're using their LAN connections, you are on their network. whip out your phone an comparison shop (while you're on the cell network).
post #62 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

The whole iPad2 supply issue stinks, and it's not really Best Buys fault!!

It's totally Apple's fault!!

I really want a new iPad but I am not willing to play Apple's games!!

If more folks would feel the same way and refuse to buy them until they are really available!! Maybe Apple would take the hint and make sure that they have enough inventory before they make any product available!!

I am not forking over $100 on the off chance they will call me when it comes in!! Or stand in line at Apple store for hours on end! It is just WRONG!!!!

appl can't keep up with demand, but they don't tell you they have them when they don't.

order online from apple. it will ship on or before the day it says it will. easy. painless
post #63 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post

Yep.. I dont know why Apple, with it's AWESOME image for customer satisfaction would even CONSIDER going to BestBuy as an outlet for their products..

Between their ploys for forcing magazine subscriptions on to you, having different prices on the "inside the store version" of the website, to various other forms of advertisement trickery, or their ridiculous restocking fees, I stay away from all things related to Best Buy at all costs. NO WAY would I buy the iPad there..

Magazine subscriptions? When was the last time you were in a Best Buy? 1995? I means seriously people. Don't bash a store you don't even patronize. I agree the ad was a little ridiculous, but is is really Apple's or Best Buy's fault that they have turned all of you into whining begging consumers who get pissed off when their shiny expensive toy is out of stock? Grow up. Use your brains.
post #64 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by flair View Post

I had a terrible experience with Best Buy where I was on the phone with their customer support for over 500 minutes over the course of two months. I vented about my experience on Best Buy's Facebook page. One of their reps contacted me and offered a free $50 gift card. I held out for $100 and surprisingly they gave it to me.

Sometimes it pays to complain.

500/60=8.33333 hours on the phone
8.33333/$100=$12 per hour

congrats. you just made the same hourly wage as the retail employee you spent all that lovely time with.
post #65 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBunny View Post

It's called "Bait and Switch" my friend.

Sad. BestBuy would do such a thing.
post #66 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

...did you read how may posts are from people who were first/in front of the line? how did they get sold out when they were there BEFORE the store opened?

.. and their INTRANET site is not exactly the same as their public website - if you're using their LAN connections, you are on their network. whip out your phone an comparison shop (while you're on the cell network).

Having worked at a Best Buy, I should know the "difference" in the in-store site compared to the "normal" one. I did plenty of comparisons, and some even on customer's request (because, like you, they thought I was lying, because that would somehow make me feel good... whatever). The web sites are identical. I can't speak for the past, but the past 2-3 years, this has been the case. And read the ad before you bash the store. It boldly states that you can come in to purchase OR reserve one right on the front, and never, ever guarantees that there were any in the store. The ad never says there are any in the store, only that there might be and if not, you can reserve the right to one. How is any of that wrong?
post #67 of 110
I used to love Best Buy and now it's quite the opposite.
The day the iPad 2 came out (3/11/11) I got in line at the Best Buy in Tigard, OR. They had so few in stock that we were promptly told to go home, and come back the following day to put our name down to reserve one. I did and was 2nd on the waiting list for the model I wanted. 5 weeks later, despite all the press about iPad 2 launch this weekend... zippo, nada, zilch. Still in the same spot in line.
The only reason I'm ordering it from them is because I have a Best Buy gift certificate I need to use, but I think the good people of Tanzania will have an iPad 2 before Best Buy clients.
If Best Buy keep using those deceptive methods, I don't give it long before Best Buy joins the fate of the CompUSA and Circuit CIty of the past...
post #68 of 110
So much for those people that thought they could forgo the long lines on launch day and just wait to buy one in the following weeks.
post #69 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

The whole iPad2 supply issue stinks, and it's not really Best Buys fault!!

It's totally Apple's fault!!

I really want a new iPad but I am not willing to play Apple's games!!

What "games"???

If you are talking about Best Buy withholding inventory for a promotion and then not having enough inventory for a promotion...that is Best Buy's game. Apple didn't tell them to do this, and the rumor was that Apple was unhappy with it.

Apple has a pretty fair system for selling iPads: First come first served. I woke up at 3am on March 11 to order mine online. I beat you to it, which is why I'm typing this on my iPad 2

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #70 of 110
BestBuy's marketing practices are uniformly vile: bait and switch, deceit, exploitation of the ignorant... If it's unethical and will make them money, they never hesitate.

BestBuy's customers get what they deserve, just as Apple deserves the bad reputation they get from doing business with organizations guilty of scum business practices.
post #71 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookie View Post

I think Best Buy got caught by Apple hoarding iPads day by day in order to make their internal numbers better. In order to get out of it they lied and made up this saving them for a promotion thing. In case you haven't noticed BB is a pretty scummy organization.

I am with you on this one. I think they got caught and made up this fake promotion in order to make right with Apple. The whole promotion is a joke as I know that certain Best Buys did not hold any iPads for this promotion as they sold them as soon as they were received. This supports my (our) theory that the promotion was thought up so Apple did not pull their iPads from Best Buy stores.
post #72 of 110
This is just an observation from dealing with the iPad stock, but it seems the 3G models are more readably available over the wifi models. I do not think this is some ploy to sell 3G models but rather a lack of interest on the consumer's part. Although, I see way more 3G models come in than the wifi ones.
post #73 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why would Best Buy run a special promotion for something that already has crushing demand? Sounds weird.

Because Bestbuy is an awful company that assume their customers are brain dead slaves...this is insane.

of all the stupid law suits we hear about in tech these days, a good ole fashion fraud class action would be great here. Be it tech or not, bait and switch is old as the hills and still a crime
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #74 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Having worked at a Best Buy, I should know the "difference" in the in-store site compared to the "normal" one. I did plenty of comparisons, and some even on customer's request (because, like you, they thought I was lying, because that would somehow make me feel good... whatever). The web sites are identical. I can't speak for the past, but the past 2-3 years, this has been the case. And read the ad before you bash the store. It boldly states that you can come in to purchase OR reserve one right on the front, and never, ever guarantees that there were any in the store. The ad never says there are any in the store, only that there might be and if not, you can reserve the right to one. How is any of that wrong?

(A) It's wrong because they didn't tell anyone waiting in line that they didn't have any.
(B) Some stores were making people buy $100 gift cards as a condition for reserving one.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #75 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtspetersen View Post

Magazine subscriptions? When was the last time you were in a Best Buy? 1995? I means seriously people. Don't bash a store you don't even patronize. I agree the ad was a little ridiculous, but is is really Apple's or Best Buy's fault that they have turned all of you into whining begging consumers who get pissed off when their shiny expensive toy is out of stock? Grow up. Use your brains.

My local Best Buy was doing the magazine subscription thing (Entertainment Weekly) as recently as 6 months ago. There are often employees there goofing off, yelling, swearing with children present. The only decent employees in the store are in the Apple section. They are actually friendly and knowledgable. Head over to the car stereo or gaming sections and I swear there must be a meth lab nearby.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #76 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

The whole iPad2 supply issue stinks, and it's not really Best Buys fault!!

It's totally Apple's fault!!

I really want a new iPad but I am not willing to play Apple's games!!

If more folks would feel the same way and refuse to buy them until they are really available!! Maybe Apple would take the hint and make sure that they have enough inventory before they make any product available!!!

There is an easy way for Apple to solve your dilemma. Apple could have jacked up the price $200 or $300 from the very beginning thereby reducing the crazy demand. Then to avoid looking like they are gouging the buyers, just say that 20% of the proceeds go to charity. Heck, give the buyer an opportunity to select which charity gets the funds.

Alternatively, to help keep demand down so it would be easier for you to obtain one... they could have made it more like a Windows 7 netbook.
post #77 of 110
It is Apple's games!!! apple shouldn't have given new companies the right to sell iPads or even debuted them in other countries until they caught up on the sales adn wants in this country first. It makes no sense to say you can now but iPads at Best Buy and Toys r us when even Apple's own stores have none for sale!! It's just stupid!!!!

Apple needs to ramp up production!!
post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit

... on the other hand... Best Buy (BBY) has been on a slow and steady decline for the last 5 years... but they do give a dividend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, I don't think the long term outlook for Best Buy is good.

But here in the northeast first CompUSA fell and then Circuit City. Best Buy sits now as having the field to itself in some territories, not that it's a great field. In the NYC area, maybe even tri-state, I can't think of a CompUSA kind of place that has popped up in its wake. It's really the Staples/OfficeMax places that have the common computer sections (with office supplies as the rest instead of home electronics) that compete for computer Sunday circular attention.

Naturally, in NYC, J & R and B & H are on another, higher level. But unless BB loses some serious money in deals that have to do with internal investing, I can't see how they can fail too soon. Unless some other big chain with a foothold elsewhere decides to come into the area they're pretty much the only Big Box consumer electronics place here.
post #79 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmark View Post

It is Apple's games!!! apple shouldn't have given new companies the right to sell iPads or even debuted them in other countries until they caught up on the sales adn wants in this country first. It makes no sense to say you can now but iPads at Best Buy and Toys r us when even Apple's own stores have none for sale!! It's just stupid!!!!

Apple needs to ramp up production!!

Maybe Apple should have sold the iPad in Australia or the UK first. It is a global economy after all, and Apple is an international company. Who's to say that people in "this country" have the right of first refusal?

Maybe Best Buy should have provided some cheese & crackers to go along with all the whine. \
post #80 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

My local Best Buy was doing the magazine subscription thing (Entertainment Weekly) as recently as 6 months ago. There are often employees there goofing off, yelling, swearing with children present. The only decent employees in the store are in the Apple section. They are actually friendly and knowledgable. Head over to the car stereo or gaming sections and I swear there must be a meth lab nearby.

LOL!! Sounds exactly like all of the NYC ones. BTW, since I had to do the midtown accountant/uptown Fidelity office/Sunday 34th St Post Office tax special yesterday, I decided to do a tour of the Best Buys in each of the neighborhoods. None had iPads in stock at opening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Customers frustrated with lack of stock for Best Buy iPad 2 promotion
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Customers frustrated with lack of stock for Best Buy iPad 2 promotion