or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

The Apple Newton had a similar layout and predates those...

It's called a "Design Patent". A regular utility patent covers novel functional features. A design patent covers purely aesthetic features, i.e., the "look and feel" of a thing.

While the article doesn't link to the patent in dispute, the artwork shown from the claim looks like it would be from a design patent, and the Samsung phone is nearly a clone.

Samsung Grippad predates the Newton. It was marketed back in 1989. Newton was introduced in 1993.

Whats funny is that Apple is trying to sue for the mear rectangular and "round corners" and touch pad like interface.

This was introduced by Samsung before the iPhone 1st Gen.

All Samsung has to prove is that, they had precedents and patents before the iPhone and the lawsuit is over.

Once that happens, Samsung will most likely counter sue to brand image damages and also go after punitive damages as well.

Have a feeling Apple is going to lose this one again, just like they did with the Nokia and HTC lawsuits.

Perhaps its time to hire a new law firm.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #82 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why do you think Samsung redesigned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as soon as the iPad 2 was released?

LOL

IMO, Apple is being smart to be proactive and not let the situation slide. You have to protect the 'crown jewels,' as has been mentioned in this thread.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #83 of 145
This is all for show. Apple will lose, but people (like the ones here) will go around repeating that Samsung just copies them, and so the misinformation spreads and people buy the iPad over the alleged copy.

If I were Samsung, after I won the case, I'd counter-sue for defamation of character lol.
post #84 of 145
[QUOTE=screamingfist;1849754]
Quote:

Apple changed the game with the Newton. Scully wanted to change the way we thought of computing but the technology just wasn't able to do 'small' yet. it was scully who correctly saw the future a bit before steve jobs did. but this is just standard operating procedure for steve jobs. he has been documented by former employees for hearing an idea from them, poo-pooing or dismissing it, then coming back weeks or more later and saying 'i have this great idea!' and then spewing out the same idea and claiming it as his own. Now THAT is far more disgusting than what samsung is doing.

Are you saying that Jobs stole the idea for the iPhone/iPad from the Newton? Because that's one of the stupider things I've seen on here lately, and that's saying quite a bit.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #85 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

No it wasn't. Good grief! The dates are in your image URLs.
post #86 of 145
Gotta protect your copy write I guess.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #87 of 145
I think the issue here is that the Samsung devices look so much like Apple's that it creates confusion for consumers and that was no accident.

I know my Apple products and I have to look twice. At a glance I can mistake them for an Apple device. They look very, very, similar. Too similar in my opinion.
post #88 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Not to mention those images could not be mistaken for the iPhone by any reasonable person.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #89 of 145
I think almost everyone overlooked the fact that the Samsung similarities to Apple products goes beyond the look. It includes some obvious infringements including the "dock connector" and few other accesory details. Uncanny and blatant infringement.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #90 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't spend hundreds, if not billions in development for your products, then patent the resulting research only to not defend them. If you don't defend them those patents become null and void.

I learned long ago.....a patent is worth only what you are willing to spend to defend it!

Its much better to have a first movers advantage ....then execute like mad to maintain it.

This approach is much better and less expensive in the long run. This is why patent suites arrive years after the actual infringements.... only after the first mover advantage has diminished (against a major deep-pocketed competitor) is when the lawsuit(s) is actually filed...to produce the max gain/pain and produce max licensing fee awards.
post #91 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!

it's what Asian companies do copy everything from electronics to cars. Apple is right.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #92 of 145
Quote:

Whats funny is that Apple is trying to sue for the mear rectangular and "round corners" and touch pad like interface.

The Samsung Armani wasn't introduced until September 2007, 3 months after the first iPhone.

That said, I don't think anyone would accuse the Armani of being a copy of the original iPhone as it would have been well and truly in development before the iPhone was released.

Just like the original iPhone isn't seen as a copy of the LG Prada (the first of the "modern" candybar smart phones) even though it was released 5 months later because the iPhone would have been well into production when the Prada was released.

I'm not sure how all of this will help Samsung in this case though.
post #93 of 145
I'm living in Korea and I saw this ad from LG play on the TV and the first thing I thought of was: This is exactly like the macbook air commercial two years back. Not Samsung, but I do think Korean companies here are coping some apple products.

I found a youtube video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Q8LW0SGro

Hopefully this doesn't get sent to your spam because of sending a link.

Ps: here is the macbook air ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHJvxcC2ks
post #94 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Good move by Apple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".

The best part is Apple is probably Samsung's biggest customer. Ah, modern capitalism. Just gotta love it.
post #95 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaitsaj View Post

I'm living in Korea and I saw this ad from LG play on the TV and the first thing I thought of was: This is exactly like the macbook air commercial two years back. Not Samsung, but I do think Korean companies here are coping some apple products.

Nah, spammers tend to use some oddly formed broken English and rarely ever contribute when they spam. Welcome to the forum.

I like the LG Xnote ad but its certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) theyve used before.
post #96 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nah, spammers tend to use some oddly formed broken English and rarely ever contribute when they spam. Welcome to the forum.

I like the LG Xnote ad but its certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) theyve used before.

Yeah, it sure does sound like the same song. Also, you have to remember that most Koreans here have NOT seen that original Macbook air commercial so all of them were just like "woah! LG is awesome!!"

I actually played both commercials to my Korean co-workers and they admitted it was a copy.

Thanks, btw, I've been reading appleinsider for about a year now and just never had anything I wanted to contribute until now.
post #97 of 145
BTW, didn't Apple already sue these guys?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/17/m...-with-hdmi-ou/

post #98 of 145
Talking about copying, WTF is this, Google???

post #99 of 145
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like the LG Xnote ad but it’s certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) they’ve used before.

"Certainly not original"? My goodness it is a DIRECT RIPOFF of the MacBook Air commercials, down to the envelope and the very song itself ~ using the same tune without having to pay to license the song Apple used (the one that goes "I'm a new soul brought up in this strange world la la la").

I had a kind of weird Deja Vu feeling watching the ad, and I imagine it like waking up on Christmas morning, looking forward to my MacBook Air, only to have someone pull out this other thing, and say cheerily, "LG XNote! Yay" and me going "WTF????"
post #100 of 145
Quote:

Yeah, it sure does sound like the same song. Also, you have to remember that most Koreans here have NOT seen that original Macbook air commercial so all of them were just like "woah! LG is awesome!!"

I actually played both commercials to my Korean co-workers and they admitted it was a copy.

Thanks, btw, I've been reading appleinsider for about a year now and just never had anything I wanted to contribute until now.

Good contribution.
post #101 of 145
Quote:

Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #102 of 145
So how many AI posters have gone into a shop, intending to buy an iPhone, and walked out with a Samsung Galaxy by mistake?

Didn't think so, case dismissed.

I don't think this is a very wise move on Apple's part. How are they going to win, if they win? How many Apple products don't contain Samsung parts? If Apple were to 'win' (lose) Samsung would just raise their prices to Apple, not lower them. Apple might go elsewhere, but they will end up paying more for the parts anyway because Samsung leads the field in manufacturing in so many areas they are either best or cheapest or both.

Say Apple win. A year or two from now Samsung's mother of all displays, a quantum dot based wunderkind, is ready for mass production. Apple says 'wow, we would love those for our IP6/7, when can you supply, how much?' Samsung just smile and make with the bird.
post #103 of 145
Quote:

Well that's as blatant as it gets... although... heads up to those in the US: Apple is the major trendsetter through out the world in advertising.

Here in Germany I'd say that fully a third (maybe more) of all advertisements have something "Apple-like" about them.

The iPod/iTunes "silhouette" style was mimicked and copied so much that you really did have to wait until the end of the commercial to see the logo/product the ad was referring to. Today it's the stark white background, reflections, and "touch-slide" style that has taken over.

Whether for cars, gadgets, providers, fashion... Apple is THE worldwide trendsetter for cool, luxury, modern items of taste.

I'm on the fence about whether it should be defended or not, because I personally like the styles Apple comes up with. I'd rather see them, or "visual cues" relating to them, than something creepy like the first Ad-Droid commercials or the Seinfeld/Gates series from MS.

As a designer myself: 'whatcha' gonna do?

Eye-catching, pleasing, tasteful and successful trend: Flow with it or *buck it?

*Insert your personal preferred letter of the alphabet. My take on 'choice' for ya.

PS: amazing how many letters can be added to the front of "__uck", and still be relevant, huh?
post #104 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Well that's as blatant as it gets... although... heads up to those in the US: Apple is the major trendsetter through out the world in advertising.

Here in Germany I'd say that fully a third (maybe more) of all advertisements have something "Apple-like" about them.

The iPod/iTunes "silhouette" style was mimicked and copied so much that you really did have to wait until the end of the commercial to see the logo/product the ad was referring to. Today it's the stark white background, reflections, and "touch-slide" style that has taken over.

Whether for cars, gadgets, providers, fashion... Apple is THE worldwide trendsetter for cool, luxury, modern items of taste.

I'm on the fence about whether it should be defended or not, because I personally like the styles Apple comes up with. I'd rather see them, or "visual cues" relating to them, than something creepy like the first Ad-Droid commercials or the Seinfeld/Gates series from MS.

As a designer myself: 'whatcha' gonna do?

Eye-catching, pleasing, tasteful and successful trend: Flow with it or *buck it?

*Insert your personal preferred letter of the alphabet. My take on 'choice' for ya.

There's a difference with being Apple-influenced, which I think is fine, to just copying the ad shot-for-shot verbatim like that darn LG ad! And they just ripped off the music as well!

I think people can flow with the trend without having to blatantly copy shot-for-shot.

Ah, but what do I know about the ad and business world, they operate it very counterintuitive ways sometimes. Still, in the Western world at least there is a line in the sand between flattery, homage and outright duplication.
post #105 of 145
Quote:

Have a feeling Apple is going to lose this one again, just like they did with the Nokia and HTC lawsuits.

Perhaps its time to hire a new law firm.

LOL. Come quick big dick.
This clearly shows that Apple is afraid of Samsung . Nothing else. Pussies.
post #106 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I think almost everyone overlooked the fact that the Samsung similarities to Apple products goes beyond the look. It includes some obvious infringements including the "dock connector" and few other accesory details. Uncanny and blatant infringement.

So, you want the dock connector at the top of the phone or what?

or replacing the display?
post #107 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhero View Post

So, you want the dock connector at the top of the phone or what?

or replacing the display?

Nobody is talking about the position of the connector stupid....hero!

http://www.netbooknews.com/wp-conten...le-adapter.jpg
http://thefuturearchive.files.wordpr...ng?w=597&h=407
post #108 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yes, very general.
Look particularly at:
The overall shape
The radius of the edges
The basic proportions and curves
The overal color
The design of speaker opening
the number size and placement of icons
The colors use in the interface.
Heck, look at how the product is displayed on a reflective white seamless background.

If that isn't enough, this one detail is worthy of notice:
Look at the placement of the phone icon (lower left corner.)
And while you're there, notice the color and design of that icon.

But of course this is just a general similarity.

I predict Samsung will be making some major changes.

It's just blatant copying. if there was every a good patent case, it's this one.
post #109 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So how many AI posters have gone into a shop, intending to buy an iPhone, and walked out with a Samsung Galaxy by mistake?

Didn't think so, case dismissed.

I don't think this is a very wise move on Apple's part. How are they going to win, if they win? How many Apple products don't contain Samsung parts? If Apple were to 'win' (lose) Samsung would just raise their prices to Apple, not lower them. Apple might go elsewhere, but they will end up paying more for the parts anyway because Samsung leads the field in manufacturing in so many areas they are either best or cheapest or both.

Say Apple win. A year or two from now Samsung's mother of all displays, a quantum dot based wunderkind, is ready for mass production. Apple says 'wow, we would love those for our IP6/7, when can you supply, how much?' Samsung just smile and make with the bird.

Samsung isn't going to flip Apple the bird. They aren't going to jeopardize 5.7 billion dollars in revenue just because they are pissed about a patent lawsuit. They are a business. Apple makes them tons of money. Apple moves Samsung products better than Samsung can. Samsung is in no position to jeopardize that. They will do business with who ever has the bucks to pay them.
post #110 of 145
Quote:

I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".

Funny thing is it's sort of a fine line. If you criticise your competitor for being clunky & then sue them for copying your interface what does that say? Just saying.
post #111 of 145
As most others have noted, Sammy may have crossed a line with a couple of their designs. Pretty darn similar. But I still don't see why the the little Tab is included in the suit. There's no confusion there IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #112 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Samsung isn't going to flip Apple the bird. They aren't going to jeopardize 5.7 billion dollars in revenue just because they are pissed about a patent lawsuit. They are a business. Apple makes them tons of money. Apple moves Samsung products better than Samsung can. Samsung is in no position to jeopardize that. They will do business with who ever has the bucks to pay them.

Bollocks. You might also argue that Apple wouldn't jeopardise relations with their single biggest supplier because shitting in your own nest is never a good idea- er wait...

By your reasoning, you would expect to be able to walk into a shop you frequent regularly, punch the owner in the face and then expect him to continue to sell stuff to you at a good price and act as if nothing had happened, just because you were a good customer.
post #113 of 145
Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.

post #114 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

That is when the images were posted. *shakes head*

post #115 of 145
I am not so sure. Samsung's response today seems to make mention of it being a supplier of Apple components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not likely, Samsung is a conglomerate. These are all different divisions run by different people.
post #116 of 145
If you can't see the difference between the after Apple iPhone was released pictures and the before pictures it really isn't worth discussing with you. Samsung's GUI was radically changed after the iPhone.

Quote:

Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.

post #117 of 145
[QUOTE=addabox;1849797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Are you saying that Jobs stole the idea for the iPhone/iPad from the Newton? Because that's one of the stupider things I've seen on here lately, and that's saying quite a bit.

yes i am saying that.
but don't twist what few neurons you have into a tiny bunch. we all know you have special needs and you should focus on those and let the grownups talk.
post #118 of 145
Mac fags will be Mac fags no matter what Apple does.
Ja sam probam
Ja sam probam
post #119 of 145
P.S. Since when can you patent the look of a device?
P.P.S. Who cares anyway.
Ja sam probam
Ja sam probam
post #120 of 145
Quote:

I think that if I spent so much energy and time to create something original, I'd be furious if another large company (not unlike Samsung) totally ripped off all of my ideas and presented them in what appears to be almost exactly the same way. The level of similarity between the products shown in the article is comical, because the resemblance of the Samsung products to the iPhone & iPad is beyond obvious.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad