or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Still can't get TV to work w/ 2010 iMac 27" + miniDP-to-HDMI adapter!??

Still can't get TV to work w/ 2010 iMac 27" + miniDP-to-HDMI adapter!??

post #1 of 3
I've just searched for what I thought was a common-enough issue to find an answer to, but it looks like I need to make a post about it here, so as to get across what exactly the situation and status of what I'm trying to accomplish is. Most of the responses I found were from 2009, so I am hoping that the issue is resolved and I just don't know about it.

At any rate, I just received an HD box from Time Warner cable and confirmed that the box works fine on my HDTV. What I really want to do is, however, use my gorgeous and humongous screen of my 27" iMac, which is the 2010 version where the miniDisplayPort works in BOTH directions (as opposed to the 21.5" iMac's), and from I gather, that as of the 2010 models, the audio is allowed to pass through as well. I also have the miniDP port-to-HDMI adapter ($35) manufactured by a reputable company (so I was told) called Moshi, which I bought from the same Apple Retail store where I bought my iMac. Then I have this Motorola HD cable box that has HDMI out and I also have two brand new HDMI cables.

One would think that I should be able to plug one end of it into the HDMI OUT port of the cable box, and the other end of it into the female part of the HDMI end of the miniDP adapter and finally the miniDP end of the adapter into the BI-directional miniDP port of the iMac...and be able to watch TV!?

Is there any software that can accomplish this?

Thank you very much in advance!

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #2 of 3
Hi crunch! I'm from Argentina. I've been trying to find out the same question because I'm planning to buy the new iMac 27" to use it as a TV, but everything I found was very old and no answers about the mini-DP.
Hope we can get an answer soon.
Cheers!
post #3 of 3
You'd have to use 3rd party adaptors as the iMac wasn't designed to take standard video input:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ort_input.html

For this kind of setup, a Mini + 1080p 23-24" IPS is a better route.

3rd party adaptors include the following:

http://www.kanexlive.com/products/kanexXD.html
http://www.drbottkg.com/prod/DigitalVideoLink.html

but the iMac will not accept a 1080p signal apparently so they only operate at 720p.

Once the iMacs get Thunderbolt, it should be possible for peripheral manufacturers to support these kind of features much more easily.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Still can't get TV to work w/ 2010 iMac 27" + miniDP-to-HDMI adapter!??