or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple restricts employee time off in May as retail's 10th anniversary approaches

Apple restricts employee time off in May as retail's 10th anniversary approaches

post #1 of 38
Apple retail employees were told this week that they may not request vacation days in late May, which could suggest Apple has something planned for the 10th anniversary of its retail stores.

Retail employees were told this week via e-mail that they may not request days off between May 20 and May 22, AppleInsider has learned. It was said that store managers are "very excited" about those dates, but no other details are available.

Gary Allen of ifoAppleStore.com said the most likely use for those days is a 10th anniversary event commemorating a decade of Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores. He said it's likely that the company may do something anniversary-related to "attract a crowd" for a few days, but he hasn't heard any specifics.

New Apple products are expected to be announced in the coming weeks and months, particularly a refresh to Apple's iMac line of all-in-one desktops. However, new iMacs with Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors would not be an event that would compel Apple to institute blackout dates for its employees.

A May launch would also be too early for a new iPhone to debut. Though new iPhones have been released in years past in June, numerous reports have pegged Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 for a later September release.

Apple had employee blackout dates earlier this year as it prepared for two major product launches at the start of 2011: the Verizon iPhone 4 and the iPad 2.

The first two Apple stores opened May 19, 2001 in McLean, Virginia, at the Tyson's Corner Mall, and at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, Calif. The retail side of Apple's business has become an important part of the growth of the Mac, as the company reports every quarter that about half of all Macs sold in retail stores are to customers who never owned a Mac before.
post #2 of 38
White iPhone 4 anyone - with a free party balloon ?!!
post #3 of 38
Seriously, I've been on the fence between these two and would LOVE to see a new beefy mini with Thunderbolt or even just an ATV with a DVD drive.

:: crosses fingers ::
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Retail employees were told this week via e-mail that they may not request days off between May 20 and May 22, AppleInsider has learned.
The first two Apple stores opened April 19, 2001 in McLean, Virginia, at the Tyson's Corner Mall, and at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, Calif.

Strange that they would be commemorating a 10 year anniversary at exactly 10 years and 1 month and 1 day...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #5 of 38
I'm thinking the white iPhone should be out much sooner than that. I bet they will just have some temporary lower prices or something, similar to black friday.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Apple TV/Mac Mini hybrid?

Sure! Except... Well... that's not really consistent with any speculation as of late or ever. Nor is it consistent with Apple's perceived strategy and approach to the Apple TV, at all. But maybe! Keep your hopes up!
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Sure! Except... Well... that's not really consistent with any speculation as of late or ever. Nor is it consistent with Apple's perceived strategy and approach to the Apple TV, at all. But maybe! Keep your hopes up!

DVD and Bluray are dead!
post #8 of 38
Quote:

Yeah, I deserve that. I went back and elaborated a bit.

I've really been wondering what the timetable is looking like for a mini refresh. Has any word of such a thing been spotted on the horizon? Here's wishing I missed the big news break on Mac minis. Ha! :: sigh ::
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocka View Post

DVD and Bluray are dead!

If so then Netflix needs to seriously expand its instant play library.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A May launch would also be too early for a new iPhone to debut. Though new iPhones have been released in years past in June, numerous reports have pegged Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 for a later September release.

Numerous reports suggested the iPad 2 would be delayed until Sept just days before Apple launched it in March, so anything is possible.
post #11 of 38
Quote:

Seriously, I've been on the fence between these two and would LOVE to see a new beefy mini with Thunderbolt or even just an ATV with a DVD drive.

Ha sorry didn't mean to be so flame-y and sarcastic.

But, mini w/thunderbolt, sure. ATV with DVD drive.... maybe when Apple concurrently decides to re-introduce floppy drives into the mac.
post #12 of 38
Quote:

If so then Netflix needs to seriously expand its instant play library.

It's the other way around. When Netflix decides to seriously expand its instant play library, the DVD will be dead.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Numerous reports suggested the iPad 2 would be delayed until Sept just days before Apple launched it in March, so anything is possible.

Which would be in line with AT&T bumping their early upgrade pricing for everyone still using a 3GS... but still it seems hard to believe that Apple would release the 5 while the 4 is doing so well...
post #14 of 38
I'm not looking for the iPhone5 or iPad3, which would be the two products that could drive huge traffic.

Lion isn't going to be ready and the iMac isn't going to be that big a deal for many - even if I am planning on buying one.

My guess? Mobile Me related announcements. Or a MobileMe replacement of some type. I'm looking for it to tie iOS and OS X platforms/products even tighter.
Ken
Ken
post #15 of 38
Greek goddess Maia is a clue. Those in the know feel certain that Apple is about to embark in a new direction by offering a line of clothing heavily dependent on a minimalistic toga theme, combined with hints of app-like spandex accents. Turtle-necks and/or dickies are optional. Of course the multiple iDevice pouches are discrete.
post #16 of 38
Quote:

Which would be in line with AT&T bumping their early upgrade pricing for everyone still using a 3GS... but still it seems hard to believe that Apple would release the 5 while the 4 is doing so well...

Might not be the 5 but a 4.5 instead. Updated spec to keep it fresh and ahead of the competition. A 5 would take attention away from the iPad 2 at the very time Apple is trying to grow and dominate the emerging tablet market.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

My guess? Mobile Me related announcements. Or a MobileMe replacement of some type. I'm looking for it to tie iOS and OS X platforms/products even tighter.

I keep forgetting about the MobileMe revamp. Can't wait to see what they do with that. Are there any good articles on that yet? I've only found really vague stuff.
post #18 of 38
It's a white iTOUCH!
With Job's picture on the back.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Strange that they would be commemorating a 10 year anniversary at exactly 10 years and 1 month and 1 day...

Supply constraints of party balloons most likely.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 38
iPad 5, just to blow the competition out of the water completely.
post #21 of 38
Apple doesn't do anniversaries - they prefer to do milestones, such as a 10 billion downloads.

I agree and think that MobieMe update is a very strong possibility, as are the iMac and Mac Mini updates.
post #22 of 38
How about 10% of everything to celebrate 10 years?
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1937 View Post

It's a white iTOUCH!
With Job's picture on the back.

what's an itouch?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #24 of 38
Probably a sale.

But if they're taking requests...

If you've bought any Apple product at a retail store ever, you get a free limited edition gold octo-core macbook pro or carbon fiber 32 core mac pro, and both come with 32gb of ram and a 1TB SSD. Plus they can go ahead and release Lion and iPhone 5, and if you buy either you get a free iPad 2 signed by Ive. And hey, throw in a surprise Mac Mini/Apple TV hybrid since I'm feeling generous with Apple's money.

If it's not asking too much
post #25 of 38
Maybe the long-awaited release of the iCar?
post #26 of 38
Quarterly Earnings call just made mention that 1 billionth customer will be walking into an Apple Store near you in May. That's a milestone for ya. But can't see why that would occasion no time off for all staff.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 38
Or Apple HDTV
post #28 of 38
screw that i have vacation coming up, im taking it.
post #29 of 38
Quote:

Might not be the 5 but a 4.5 instead. Updated spec to keep it fresh and ahead of the competition.

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. Good call. 4s? 4x?
post #30 of 38
Are Apple retail employees ever allowed to take vacation? They weren't allowed to take it in March, either.
post #31 of 38
Quote:

True. Although I am more inclined to think new iMacs, a new MobileMe, maybe new iWork than the iPhone

Maybe even a bumped up release of the new Final Cut (and perhaps Logic)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #32 of 38
Quote:

It's the other way around. When Netflix decides to seriously expand its instant play library, the DVD will be dead.

I literally just finished watching a movie streamed from Netflix and the quality still leaves something to be desired (and I get 20-30Mbps down).

Oh, and just to get back on topic, I've got my fingers crossed for new iMacs.
post #33 of 38
The headless Mac we've all been clamoring for!

*runs away*
post #34 of 38
I'm picking either an iPhone Air or Apple TV (with screen).

Or maybe a trade-in program - bring in your windows box and get a big discount on an iMac. All those traded in windows boxes get sent to the third world as free hackintoshes. /sarcasm
post #35 of 38
Maybe it will be iPhone 5? So it's not coming in June. But why does it have to be later than June? Could be earlier!
post #36 of 38
I believe it will be a device that has something to do with the CLOUD!

IT'S THE CLOUD!
post #37 of 38
Quote:

En? Netflix decided many years ago to expand it's streaming election. It has the money and wants to buy streaming rights to absolutely everything. The problem is that the copyright holders don't want to license streaming rights to Netflix. They're afraid of the new business model and are dragging their feet.

This is really what's holding back streaming hardware sales. Apple realizes this and it is probably why the atv has been considered a hobby. It will remain so until reasonable prices are negotiated for online streaming.

If apple is going to have a special event to promote or launch an atv product, it will only be when there is sufficient content available at a reasonable price.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what's an itouch?

It's a Logitech keyboard that was discontinued in 2008.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple restricts employee time off in May as retail's 10th anniversary approaches