or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone draws more new customers to AT&T than Verizon

Apple's iPhone draws more new customers to AT&T than Verizon - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think the numbers say what the author thinks they do. 23% vs. 22% is basically a wash.

All the other numbers quoted (of actual subscribers, sales, prices, etc.) are meaningless because they aren't corrected for market size, network reach or the current subscriber figures for each company which must of course be different.

The only real measure would be the percentage of new users relative to each individual company's current numbers for users. If that's the percentages quoted above, then it's a wash and not a story at all.

Ah but it is. Everyone said 1/4 of the AT&T iPhone customers would switch to Verizon. Didn't happen.
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Finally the USA folks will have to realise the reason Android is ahead is nothing to do with iPhone being on only one carrier for the first few years.

People from the rest of the world (where iPhone is available on multiple carriers in many countries) have known this for a long time.

It's because they give away the cheap phones...
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Thunderbolt and the upcoming crop of LTE phones on VZW all support simultaneous surf and talk. That limitation of VZW's network is quickly going by the wayside.

CDMA on Verizon will not go away for most of the nation for more then a year, maybe three. Only the big markets are getting any attention on the LTE technology. For the rest of the nation, it will be the same old voice or data and slow data at that.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

CDMA on Verizon will not go away for most of the nation for more then a year, maybe three. Only the big markets are getting any attention on the LTE technology. For the rest of the nation, it will be the same old voice or data and slow data at that.

CDMA has no EOL set. Its still going strong. Expect it going for a couple decades.

Look at the facts
  • CDMA is needed for voice with LTE for data. Until LTE can get reliable VoIp for the carrier CDMA will have a place.
  • Most phones are still used solely for CDMA and LTE is inefficient so even if LTE magically got a proper voice channel or workaround CDMA will have a place.
  • GSM(2G) is still around and kicking but UMTS(3GSM) has been in place for a long time.
  • Sony just producing floppy discs a year or two ago and you can still buy VHS tapes and non-HDTVs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 49
Quote:

Ah but it is. Everyone said 1/4 of the AT&T iPhone customers would switch to Verizon. Didn't happen.

I heard they were going to be bankrupt
post #46 of 49
Hmm, could be a rounding error.
post #47 of 49
Quote:

CDMA will last longer than that, VZW is constantly firing up more markets and by 2013 is supposed to have its entire footprint on LTE.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Verizon's CDMA network also has slower 3G data connection speeds than AT&T on average, and its network cannot allow simultaneous voice and data connections.

This. That and AT&T works in all the places I need it and the plans are basically the same. So why would I switch and loose functionality? Seems pretty daft. It's nice that those who really need an alternative to AT&T due to coverage issues have a choice, but I'm not surprised that there wasn't a "mass exodus" from AT&T to Verizon. As people's contracts start to expire things could get interesting. If there is a big spike next June when all the iPhone 4 contracts expire, then that will tell an interesting story indeed.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

So why did Verizon add 13 times the number of new subscribers last quarter that AT&T did?

Better marketing? Cheaper phones with correspondingly cheaper plans? There could be a number of reasons. When it comes to the iPhone, if I am reading the numbers correctly AT&T is doing better than Verizon which is interesting indeed.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone draws more new customers to AT&T than Verizon