or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US Army's first smartphone will be powered by Google Android, not Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

US Army's first smartphone will be powered by Google Android, not Apple - Page 5

post #161 of 180
Google is a CIA backed company so it's no surprise the govt would use Android phones. Google purchased Keyhole from in-q-tel which had a huge CIA contract. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-Q-Tel

Google turned Keyhole into google earth and google maps. Besides photographing every house, the CIA contract said Keyhole was to capture all wireless data and passwords. This is why the google vehicles in europe were busted with all that data. Google claimed it was a mistake, but it was intentional.
post #162 of 180
Well duh. Android is more customizable then the iPhone, so the army can set it up however they want. This is not surprising at all.
post #163 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePuss View Post

Google is a CIA backed company ...

It's more than CIA. Google admitted getting NSA support on occasions. I am sure a few other secret agencies ride on Google's conveniences and pay Google handsomely.

Remember S. Jobs sneezed at Google's claim of "do no evil"? It seems to me that Jobs was right on target! In case you know Chinese, Google is a typical example of 既想做婊子 又想立牌坊.
post #164 of 180
Thanks to the Washington Lobbyists.
post #165 of 180
IOS is smoother than Android. If I were out and about killing terrorists or whatnot, then I would prefer to do that smoothly.
post #166 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by srathi View Post

You mean by not having consolidated.db file??

How did you figure out that having the consolidated.db file is important for security....lol
post #167 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Incorrect. The Safari patch released this year just hours before the competition had the same flaws that were successfully used in the competition. That's why both pwned and owned. If the holes didn't exist in the patched version they couldn't own (afaik). Follow the links.

http://www.hackingtricks.in/2011/03/...econds-at.html

It's been the same result every year of the competition so far. It's not a statement of whose security is "the best", no knock on Blackberry, or Apple, Or Microsoft, or even Firefox in past years. It's meant to discover holes so that real users like you and me aren't attacked in "drive-by hackings" when we've otherwise done everything right.

Android is not the security risk you and others have apparently been led to believe, which is the only point I been trying to get across. Forget what AI, 9to5Mac or other Apple enthusiast sites would like you to believe. This is just a case of "everybody knows' being wrong. Inconvenient perhaps when trying to belittle other mobile OS's, but just the way it is.

Apart from the address translation update on the iPhone that would have rendered the exploit useless, as Charlie Miller stated.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #168 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You probably and should know that the Armed Forces are the puppets of Congress and THEIR special interest groups, as well as the Executive branch's "play things". Kinda like Toy Story, which I'm sure you're more than familiar with, as you surely are not even a "tween" yet.

Making derogatory and condescending remarks against the capable and many times heroic members of the Armed Forces, not only makes you 'appear' thoroughly misinformed, but a total, clueless, and beyond a shadow of a doubt... F***ING DOUCHE!

I hate the military (industrial complex) and war... but get real!

PS: even General and later President Eisenhower stated, "beware the military industrial complex". THEY are the enemy within (my words).

Why is it that every one seems to forget the other warning in this famous speech ?

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded.
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientifictechnological elite.

It is the task of statesmanship to mold, to balance, and to integrate these and other forces, new and old, within the principles of our democratic system -- ever aiming toward the supreme goals of our free society.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #169 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Why is it that every one seems to forget the other warning in this famous speech ? And if anyone else has already mentioned this then please ignore this post.

Id say its because "beware the military industrial complex is a powerful excerpt. It has that fascinating 1984 dystopian feel that is the basis of so many stories.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #170 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id say its because "beware the military industrial complex is a powerful excerpt. It has that fascinating 1984 dystopian feel that is the basis of so many stories.

Yeah... It's just that I find this speech to be rather prophetic for something written 50 years ago. If the only thing learned is beware of Boeing and McDonald Douglas, etc then people have missed a great learning opportunity. Imho.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #171 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When it comes to how easy it is to hack a phone and get your malware installed, Android is the WORST possible solution.

no.

the military will have a customised version of Android tailored specifically for their security and durability requirements. provide samples of corroborated evidence that Apple would allow the military or third-party member to modify iOS, as they see fit, and i'll retract my previous sentence.
post #172 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Once again the Army shows its predilection for cutting edge technology. When "open" Android becomes the Windows of mobile OS's, virus ridden and hacked to death, the enemy will be selling "find your friend, the soldier" apps on the Android Store.

The Navy wised up a few years ago and switched from Windows PCs to Macs for their more sensitive work.


because requiring every military computer to have the latest version of itunes is better?

the military is probably taking the Froyo code base and forking it for their own version and locking it down. no market, no gmail, no navigation which are all separately licensed apps from google
post #173 of 180
[QUOTE=Prof. Peabody;1853256]This isn't "good news for Android" because it means almost certainly the Army will fork it for security reasons.[quote]

Neither is it bad news for Android either. Really, it's kind of meaningless in the Android/iOS war. If there's a loser here, it's Apple since iOS would come along with Apple hardware, thus lost sales.

Quote:
The presence of a couple of good forks of the Android project will essentially destroy any chance Android has of becoming the next big consumer OS or dominating the mobile space.

What does the Army's private, internal use of Android have to do with the consumer market? Unless the Army decides to get into into the mobile phone business, it's meaningless.

p.s., do you always have to come off as an arrogant prick in your posts?
post #174 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Is there anyone on this forum over ten years old?

You need to stop watching so much TV and enlist. You might learn a thing or two. Rather rapidly I would think.

Enlist??? You really are nuts, brother. American foreign policy as presented to the American people on tv is a huge lie. If you want to believe it, that's your right. But don't lay it on me.
post #175 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

You happen to disagree with the reasons for the conflicts, that is you right, but it doesn't give you give the right to call the members of the military stupid.

Yes, I most definitely disagree with the reasons for the conflicts; and so would you, I'll wager, if you looked any further than the evening news for your information on what our illustrious gov't is really up to. Ever listen to Noam Chomsky, for instance? I doubt it! This forum isn't the place for a debate on such a complex issue; but as far as I'm concerned, it's a national tragedy that the America's fighting forces are being utterly squandered on meaningless, manufactured wars.
post #176 of 180
Maybe the Marines will get IOs...
post #177 of 180
Warning: The following is all in jest and humorous speculation.

1) What if during wargame scenarios the enemy was found to have been more prone to attacking soldiers in hopes of acquiring their iPhones?

2) Years ago it was discovered there was a NSA backdoor built into Windows... what if it came down to which company, Apple or Google, agreed to allow another such backdoor to be added in? Or perhaps Google's open platform lets them do this already?

3) Soldiers were found to spend too much time playing Angry Birds. Not a problem with Android's fragmentation.

4) Since Android is just an OS, the military can source and produce its own hardware.

5) Military cannot wait for iPhone 5. Also, see #4.

6) As far as I know, Apple cannot generally tether to more than one device via wi-fi while some Androids can which makes networked battlefield capability more implementable on local squad-based network basis.

7) Android pr0n capability is a major necessary feature for soldiers.

8) Losing that proprietary iPhone connector cable could cause serious issues v. mini-USB.

9) No removable media which may be needed in a battlefield capacity since wireless data transmission cannot be always guaranteed as secure.

10) Eventually, the military would like their android soldiers to share compatibility (and OS) with their Android phones... makes firmware/software updates a lot easier.

11) Eh, insert another reason here.
post #178 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

As an active member of the armed forces, I would rather you say nothing if you can't say thank you. Grow up.

As a former service member who recalls the reality of the Wall in Berlin in the 60s, I thank you for your service in today's world. If you're in a combat zone, be safe and help others be safe.
post #179 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoan
As an active member of the armed forces, I would rather you say nothing if you can't say thank you. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

As a former service member who recalls the reality of the Wall in Berlin in the 60s, I thank you for your service in today's world. If you're in a combat zone, be safe and help others be safe.

Wow, Moan. When I was in the service (Vietnam), we didn't bring up the fact because people back home considered us baby killers and the like. Thanks to the collective guilt people feel about the way my generation of service members were treated, they fall all over themselves today thanking everyone for their service. Maybe you are the one that needs to "grow up" a little instead of being so sensitive because one person didn't thank you. War sucks, but at least today the left and right can agree that it's not the soldier's fault if the war is popular or not.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #180 of 180
When I look at this I think good. All the issues I have seen here have been based on the current android platform and the handset manufacturers. This will be a striped down version of android. The army will be building it own base stuff. Most likely no android market access. It will be similar to the control Barnes and Nobles has over the Nook. It will only be android base it will not be android. They would not have this type of control with iOS. If it was base android vs iOS i am sure it will be a different story altogether. But the army does not need android or iOS it needs an OS designed for the army something android can give it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › US Army's first smartphone will be powered by Google Android, not Apple