or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Mystique' surrounding Apple's white iPhone 4 seen as sales booster

'Mystique' surrounding Apple's white iPhone 4 seen as sales booster

post #1 of 27
Though the white iPhone 4 is set to launch this week some 10 months after the black version of the handset went on sale, numerous delays are believed by one analyst to have created a "mystique" around the device that could boost sales.

Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities believes the white iPhone 4 will help to further boost sales of Apple's hot-selling handset. He said the announcement of the white iPhone 4 last summer, and the 10 month delay for its arrival, have given it a "certain mystique and scarcity value" that he believes could provide a "tailwind" for sales in the June quarter.

White has argued that a white iPhone 4 matters, because certain demographics will find the handset and its different color appealing. In particular, he found in recent travels to Asia that there was quite a bit of interest in the white iPhone 4.

"China has clearly caught 'Apple fever,' and we believe the country is a prime candidate for a 'white' iPhone 4," he said. "Even with a potential iPhone 5 launch in September, we believe a 'white' iPhone 4 could lure consumers to make a purchase."

Consumer purchases of electronics are not an entirely rational decision, he said, and some products are purchased for different reasons, including status, aesthetics, functionality, quality, and a "cool factor."

AppleInsider first reported on Sunday that Apple has begun shipping white iPhone 4 units to its retail stores in the U.S. It is believed that the device will go on sale this Wednesday, April 27.

The introduction of the white iPhone 4 10 months late may be possible because of a later-than-usual introduction of the new fifth-generation iPhone this year. Sources have indicated that Apple's next-generation handset will go into production in September, after the usual June launch timeframe.

The white iPhone 4 was delayed numerous times by Apple, which cited manufacturing problems. Earlier this year, AppleInsider learned that Apple had turned to a Japanese company to craft a new paint material to resolve those issues.

The white iPhone 4 is just one of many products in Apple's pipeline that White believes will push Apple's stock 100 points higher in the next three to five months. Ticonderoga Securities has a 12-month price target of $612 for AAPL stock.

He expects strong demand for the iPad 2 to continue, and for the iPhone 5 to have a strong launch later this year. White also reiterated claims that Apple could release an Internet-connected high-definition television set by the end of this year, based on his checks with sources.
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The white iPhone 4 is just one of many products in Apple's pipeline that White believes...

of course white thinks white will be awesome. he's hardly unbiased...

in all seriousness, i completely agree. further, i think there are probably a good number of people who actually waited for the white handset, who will now pick one up (not just because it's new and different -- but because they wanted white to begin with). might also be some who want a nice white iphone to go with their nice new white ipad...
post #3 of 27
After my front glass got smashed I eventually was somewhere that could fix it and paid a few dollars more for a "off the test line" white refit.

From what I've directly observed from reactions to it, there is a mystique and desire surrounding it. It is going to move, strange as it may seem what with a 4s round the corner.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #4 of 27
It will sell well. Lots of people went for a white iPad 2.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 27
Really, what do they pay the guys who come up with this bar stool piffle?
post #6 of 27
It looks classy but I can’t help but think that anyone who specifically choose to wait 10 months for a device they wanted because of color is a bit of a nob. That said, sales data shows people do buy the iPhone year round and this could be what finally makes them consider an iPhone 4.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #7 of 27
i am due for an upgrade on my Verizon account.
I will get the white iPhone 4. i think it looks cool. My iPad 2 is white.

its a nice clean look.
post #8 of 27
I wonder how long until Samsung starts making white phones too.
post #9 of 27
In other news RIM announces the WhiteBerry.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 27
So I'm guessing it will be a cheaper version, like the 3GS was when the iPhone 4 launched.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So I'm guessing it will be a cheaper version, like the 3GS was when the iPhone 4 launched.

I dont see why it would be.
post #12 of 27
I got stuck in the white iPhone trap.

When the iP4 was released and the white was pushed back to September. I figured I could wait until September. Then it was pushed back to December/January. I thought I can wait until December. By that time dual core Android phones were coming to market. Then I just decided to wait for the iP5. I could wait for June/July. Now it looks as thought I'll be waiting for September again.

I currently have a iP 3G that is pretty long in the tooth, but still works fine. I use it as a selling point to people who are on the fence between iPhone and Android. I haven't met many people who still like their Android phone after a year of use. I tell them my phone is nearly 3 years old and it works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It looks classy but I cant help but think that anyone who specifically choose to wait 10 months for a device they wanted because of color is a bit of a nob. That said, sales data shows people do buy the iPhone year round and this could be what finally makes them consider an iPhone 4.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcphers View Post

I wonder how long until Samsung starts making white phones too.

They already did AFAIK. The white Nexus S. I think HTC also has one.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 27
Sounds as if the $49 3G has been a big hit. Why not sell the iP4 for $49.

Quote:

I dont see why it would be.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sounds as if the $49 3G has been a big hit. Why not sell the iP4 for $49.

Sure, after the iPhone 5 is out, but there is no reason for the white iPhone 4 to be sold at $49 when the black iPhone 4 is $199 for the same capacity and performance.
post #16 of 27
Oh the other poster was talking about selling the white for $49 right now?

Quote:

Sure, after the iPhone 5 is out, but there is no reason for the white iPhone 4 to be sold at $49 when the black iPhone 4 is $199 for the same capacity and performance.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Nah, the white iPhone 4 had the exact same specs as the black iPhone 4 at the initial announcement. It's just a different color of paint under the glass. After production delays continued, Apple removed marketing imagery, etc. from the website.

There is no convincing reason to believe that the white iPhone 4 will differ internally from the black model.
post #18 of 27
omg a second color...
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Oh the other poster was talking about selling the white for $49 right now?

He didnt specify otherwise.
post #20 of 27
People might be possibly holding out due to the proximity of the typical launch date of the next gen iPhone.... I know I am even thou I have need for a 2nd iPhone.
post #21 of 27
There's a mystique around the poop-brown zunes, too, but "mystique" doesn't mean people will buy them...
I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

There's a mystique around the poop-brown zunes, too, but "mystique" doesn't mean people will buy them...

I don't think the 'poop-brown' was the main problem (although nicely representative of Microsoft). White or black or even zebra striped would not have turned a pig's ear into a silk purse.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think the 'poop-brown' was the main problem (although nicely representative of Microsoft). White or black or even zebra striped would not have turned a pig's ear into a silk purse.

Why not? You didn't like the thought of a poop-brown zune squirting music?
post #24 of 27
Mystique? its a white reaken phone so what. Just like iPhone fan boys, i bet they would pay extra money for the white one too. LOL.
post #25 of 27
Taking the time to fab a white iPhone 4 and set up a line this late in its life cycle is an indicator the iP5 will likely retain a very similar form factor - i.e., they'll still get over a year out of the basic production line for the white phone.

Meaning the next phone will likely get its competitive buzz from the A5 chip, iOS 5 and maybe a slight increase in screen size and/or cam upgrade. Which should be enough, especially if iOS 5 is fairly awesome and the ecosystem is extended with whatever's going on with data centers, music lockers and MobileMe. The A5's a pretty competitive chip and the cam's already good, 'specially with the HDR.

And will be called iPhone 5 rather than 4S, even if just a moderate hardware refinement - you want to hype (and align) the model number with the new CPU #. "The new iPhone 4S! Now with the new A5 processor!" I don't think so.

Meaning the "big stuff" gearheads are lusting for is likely next year. Namely LTE and a new form factor, more memory, maybe quad cores - AND (my guess) finally, 2 or 3 form factors to go up against the leventy-seven Droids, Berries, H-Pres and new WinMokias out there in 2012.

Apple makes six LINES of computers in at least 10 distinct models with multiple configs of most of those - so it seems inevitable they'll add more SKU's to their phone (and tablet) offerings to increase their range of appeal.

Anyway, that's one road map this late release of of the whitePhone along with other things we know seems to fit with. That, and that it will be a sales driver for the EOL period of the iP4.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It will sell well. Lots of people went for a white iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

After my front glass got smashed I eventually was somewhere that could fix it and paid a few dollars more for a "off the test line" white refit.

From what I've directly observed from reactions to it, there is a mystique and desire surrounding it. It is going to move, strange as it may seem what with a 4s round the corner.

I might not think of it as "mystique" as such but IMHO there is a certain elegance and purity of the white behind the glass, and the white (presumably) never fading or getting dirty because it is protected by the glass. I thought my white iPad 2 was a bit silly (grabbed whatever model I could) but there is something about it... Certainly the desire will be there.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Mystique? its a white reaken phone so what. Just like iPhone fan boys, i bet they would pay extra money for the white one too. LOL.

Yeah, just like the Android fan boys, whom I bet would pay extra money for smaller Android tablets, less apps, and a "shortcut" operating system just for the latest Android gadget.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Mystique' surrounding Apple's white iPhone 4 seen as sales booster