or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012 - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.

The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.

The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.

They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.

Ah! You must have read Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell's book "The Moté in God's Eye". This book, from the mid 1970s describes a personal assistant that's very much like the iPhone, except that the entire unit is made of a single block of glass-like material.

The story takes place more than a thousand years from now, so we're slightly ahead of the timeline.
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What innovations?

Apple don't develop basic technologies, they just purchase already developed tech from it's real developers and contract the manufacture of products incorporating it.

The amount of ludicrous garbage that gets spouted on AI about Apple developing all these technologies is pitiful.

Apples approach to tech and it's development can be summed up as -'why buy the cow when all you want is milk.'

What you're saying isn't entirely true. Apple is now one of the top technology companies in terms of patents obtained per year. They have a number of patents related to display technology as well as backlight technology. We don't know what they're working on in their labs until they come out with a product that uses it, and Apple says that they've invented the technology, as they often do.

Go to the site Patently Apple, and you'll see new patents they've been issued. Many are very interesting.
post #43 of 92
I'm glad to hear that Apple isn't pursuing AMOLED screens. They are battery hogs (generally, though not in all cases), and they are washed out in the sun. It sounds like the p-Si LCD's have a lot of benefits over current tech.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except they bought P.A. Semi and make their own batteries. Your point is bunk.

Where is the evidence that they make their own batteries?
post #45 of 92
[QUOTE=solipsism;1854478]1) When you mention a competing product, especially a cool one others have likely not heard about, its nice to also post a link to it.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/t...ust-1mm-thick/ Thanks for the cover. Didn't notice I had a missing link.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #46 of 92
I want holographic projection by the time iPhone7 is released.
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

AI! AppleStud had given you a direct order! Comply!!
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #48 of 92
Not sure I get the whole, "this rumor sucks because it is about something that is a long way off" sentiment. Yeah, I hate it when tech rumor sites post stuff that's twelve months away. Dude, that's like, three or so months MORE than nine months away...which I'm okay with. Twelve WHOLE months? Dude. Okay, when you're a child, twelve to eighteen months can be the difference between childhood and adolescence, this world view and that world view, but for most adults it's, "we'll go to Uncle Bob's next Christmas, so make sure everyone plans ahead." Seriously, this is like the tech geek version of, "come ON dad! The nineties were before I was even BORN!"
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I'm glad to hear that Apple isn't pursuing AMOLED screens. They are battery hogs (generally, though not in all cases), and they are washed out in the sun. It sounds like the p-Si LCD's have a lot of benefits over current tech.

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?

Here they are in direct sunlight:




Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?

Here they are in direct sunlight:




Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'

I can't comment on these particular pictures, but AMOLEd displays are much less bright than a decent LCd display. They always run at the very bottom of the test charts. I did notice on those photo's however, that the backgrounds on most of the AMOLED pictures were darker. Brighten it up somewhat, to match the other pictures, and the displays would appear more washed out.

It's interesting that reviews of AMOLED devices say that they are unusable outdoors in direct sunlight.. All of the ones I've seem have been as well. I'm never impressed with pictures of screens. It really doesn't tell us much, as we don't know the variables.
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?

Here they are in direct sunlight:




Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'

As is that site. It often favors anything Android.
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I'm glad to hear that Apple isn't pursuing AMOLED screens. They are battery hogs (generally, though not in all cases), and they are washed out in the sun. It sounds like the p-Si LCD's have a lot of benefits over current tech.

Samsung Galaxy S2, SuperAMOLED Plus screen, coming May1st.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-26148446/

Quote:
Big, bright screen, dual-core processor, lots of wireless: youd be forgiven for assuming the Galaxy S II would gulp down juice like a long distance runner after a race. In actual fact, its something of a minor miracle. The standard 1,650 mAh battery took us through two days of use from off the charger at 7am, through a full day with push email active, the display at maximum backlight while outdoors, lots of photography and some video recording, a couple of YouTube clips, GPS with Google Maps, browsing and some calls, then through the night (again, with push email switched on) and through the next day, only expiring that evening.

Thats ridiculously impressive, and well be watching closely to see if it was a fresh-battery phenomenon or a sign that the Galaxy S II really is in the top tier of current smartphones. Even if you really hammer it with your usage, were confident you should get a full day out of a single charge.
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ive never read anything about PA Semi creating battery tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

he didn't say pa semi made batteries. he said they bought pa semi and they make their own batteries. if i say i bought gum and tied my shoes, do you read that to mean my gum tied my shoes?

Bingo. Thanks for the clarification.
post #54 of 92
I have heard that the 8th revision of Apple's iPhone, the "iPhone 8", will be released in 2014 and will be implanted directly into the users head and feature "continuous hands free operation". I can't wait to trade in my iPhone 7.
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

I find this rumor a trick to raise up Sharp's stock price.
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bingo. Thanks for the clarification.

You haven't responded to my question though.
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

It's necessary so that the competitors can plan on purchasing their new copy-machines after Apple does all the R&D work for them!
post #58 of 92
cnocbui, my arse.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You haven't responded to my question though.

Oh, sorry! Didn't see that.

Obviously the rechargeable double As Apple sells are just rebranded Eneloops, but I believe that Apple's batteries are created in-house because of the heavy credit placed on Apple's engineers in the intro video and in the text on Apple's site.

That could easily be chalked up to Apple stealing credit, so additionally, if they weren't created by Apple, wouldn't the manufacturer come forward to be recognized? Particularly since Apple's batteries are easily the best on the market. At least a leak of data would have happened by now, but nothing. Everyone knows Apple used to use Sony and Toshiba batteries, but I'm just pretty sure they're in-house now.
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I can't comment on these particular pictures, but AMOLEd displays are much less bright than a decent LCd display. They always run at the very bottom of the test charts. I did notice on those photo's however, that the backgrounds on most of the AMOLED pictures were darker. Brighten it up somewhat, to match the other pictures, and the displays would appear more washed out.

I Thought you would comment on the exposures. But their conclusions tally with all the other independent sites that have compared the Samsung super AMOLEDs against the IP4 in direct sunlight, so unless you are a conspiracy theorist and argue they are all in cahoots against the IP4, there really is no reason to believe those photos or conclusions are biased.

Quote:
It's interesting that reviews of AMOLED devices say that they are unusable outdoors in direct sunlight.. All of the ones I've seem have been as well. I'm never impressed with pictures of screens. It really doesn't tell us much, as we don't know the variables.

The reviews I have read, in fact say quite the opposite. Spin-city, as I said.

I have used my Wave to shoot videos while skiing in bright sunlight and can see the screen well enough to judge what I am framing most of the time.

Engadget compared the displays of the Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 in real life conditions - including direct sunlight - and concluded the Samsung AMOLED display was marginally better :http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/i...-amoled-fight/

They also made a little video of the IP4 and Galaxy S side by side in sunlight:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3896872-ipho...ys-in-sunlight

Quote:
Samsungs Super AMOLED screen has to be one of the best screens i have ever seen on a mobile phone, and Ive seen a lot of mobile phones. The colours are crisp and bright, the blacks are rich and at times is hard to distinguish between where the phone chassis stops and the screen starts. In sunlight the handset performs very well, on par with the iPhone 4 in my testing.

http://www.techanist.com/2010/08/11/...part-1-screen/

Quote:
Hands down the best screen I have used on a smartphone. It is highly responsive and looks splendid in all conditions. The colours are incredibly vibrant and the screen content feels as though it is closer to the glass than most other smartphones. The main advantage of this screen is the performance in bright sunlight. I tested it next to the iPhone, (ed. 3GS) which is very good in bright conditions, and it is much, much better. When I saw AMOLED on the specs sheet my heart dropped because they are often unreadable in bright conditions, but the mDNIe technology (whatever that is?) used here really does work. The viewing angles are to the extreme and it is simply wonderful to look at and use. Superb!

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/201...view-part-two/


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As is that site. It often favors anything Android.

And this site doesn't favour Apple and put down Android and every other non Apple piece of software or hardware on the planet? Glass houses and throwing stones springs to mind, not to mention the good old bible, how apropos!:

Quote:
Matthew 7 >>
King James Version\t
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

cnocbui, my arse.

You're talking out of it or you would like it handed to you on a plate?
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


I have used my Wave to shoot videos while skiing in bright sunlight and can see the screen well enough to judge what I am framing most of the time.

Nice anecdote. But a bit dangerous. However, continue.

Quote:
Engadget compared the displays of the Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 in real life conditions - including direct sunlight - and concluded the Samsung AMOLED display was marginally better :http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/i...-amoled-fight/

Marginally better? It's almost not worth you de-railing this thread for that kind of comparison.

Quote:
And this site doesn't favour Apple and put down Android and every other non Apple piece of software or hardware on the planet? Glass houses and throwing stones springs to mind, not to mention the good old bible, how apropos!:

This site favours Apple, but that argument doesn't advance your argument - you would have to prove us wrong.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #63 of 92
cnocbui, mo thoin.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #64 of 92
Mr. Starkman.

This is Apple.

We don't know in which wretched hive of scum and villainy you found our prototype, but we want it back.

Any further description, publication or retransmission of the details and configuration of this device will result in legally illegal action.

You know our address.

That is all.
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?
...
Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'

This is not correct, expect perhaps in the anecdotal sense. The displays do look brighter in the picture, but it's very slight and is likely not be due to inherent "brightness" but the greater contrast of the AMOLED display.

AMOLED's have "lack of brightness in direct sunlight" as one of their main disadvantages. You can look this up almost anywhere. Samsung "super" AMOLED's solve this problem to a degree, by layering the display elements together tighter than other manufacturers, but the problem still remains.

One advantage AMOLED's do have however is ridiculous levels of contrast (almost infinite), so it's likely that while the iPhone 4 screen in the pic doesn't look as bright to the eye, what's actually happening is that the very low contrast of the LCD compared to the AMOLED is showing itself. I did a bit of photoshop manipulation on the pic and when you raise the contrast on the iPhone 4 screen it looks almost identical to the AMOLED one's. That's not scientific of course, but maybe that's why they look brighter to the eye.

Anyway, there are many advantages and disadvantages to both screen types but the things that matter to Apple (consistent accurate colour reproduction, clarity, wide angles of view, consistent colour through angles of view, etc.), are all better on the LCD's than the AMOLED's at the moment.

I bet Apple would *love* to have the contrast and the rich blacks of the AMOLED screens but isn't ready to give up the other stuff. They have a reputation to uphold when it comes to screens as theirs have typically (and always), been the best quality screens you can buy, so they can't just go with something because "most people like it" or anything like that. They have to always have the best. There are a lot of creatives who would jump ship if Apple started to make AMOLED screens.

The day AMOLED truly is the best display technology (in all areas), you can bet that Apple will use it in a heartbeat. In fact, the way you will know that day has come is when Apple decides the tech is good enough for them to use.
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4...'

1) You choose one source and didnt state which test you are referring to. GSM Arena even admits there overall tests arent scientific and open for debate. I appreciate their fair-mindedness.

And lets be clear about one thing were not publishing the results from a scientific test here. Without specialized equipment, you cant be truly objective about battery life tests.

2) Even they didnt get any Samsung phone to beat the iPhone in the results I read. I dont know of another phone that does beat the iPhone in every category.

Heres a little spoiler for you. The Apple iPhone 4 excelled in the dedicated video playback test. It scored the whopping 9 hours and 40 minutes of looped playback of our usual test video (converted to the proper format, of course).

The Samsung Wave did 8 hours and 40 minutes in the same challenge, while the Samsung Galaxy S managed nearly 7 hours and 30 minutes. Now thats something, right?

3) Even if the iPhone was to beat every other device hands down in every category that wouldnt be enough, at least not for me. Id still want to know the battery mAh capacity to see if the device in question really is more power efficient or if its just a larger battery. But even that isnt enough but better HW that can increase the user experience can affect the power usage. All these things can be a balancing act where being tops isnt being best all around, which is something I think Apple has excelled at for 4 years in their iPhone decisions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You're talking out of it or you would like it handed to you on a plate?

Youve got admit, asdasd, that was a good response!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm starting to think Apple should really own a screen manufacturing plant (and the technology) outright so as to deny their innovations and ideas to others.

tbh it doesn't sound like any of this is Apple's innovation. It is Sharp's. I very much doubt that Apple does any innovation in displays other than talking to suppliers about what is coming out of their research labs and figuring out how to best apply it to their devices.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #68 of 92
I prefer a bit of "heft" to my devices. Otherwise its not good for text entry etc. Also, same goes for thinness. It can be TOO thin, and TOO light. I hope they are considering that in the future.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

he didn't say pa semi made batteries. he said they bought pa semi and they make their own batteries. if i say i bought gum and tied my shoes, do you read that to mean my gum tied my shoes?

It does if I misread the sentence.

perhaps i can interest you in purchasing version 9 of some of my very talented gum? :-)
post #70 of 92
FWIW, a few minutes spent doing Google searches on "Super AMOLED compare to LCD" does seem to give the nod to Super AMOLED in most cases. Perhaps some here are assuming that all AMOLED displays share the same general characteristics, which appears not to be the case. Or just expect Apple is already using the display with the best possible characteristics?

I found this video to be particularly telling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA9oTNhSRaw
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

That's not a bad set of ideas, you know. Except for the all glass design (likely to break.) I vote for transparent aluminum.

You'd think they would have figured that out with the iphone4 ; )
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

cnocbui, mo thoin.

Póg ma thoin

post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You choose one source and didnt state which test you are referring to.

The test I was referring to was the general suite of tasks test where the Wave lasted

84 hours against the IP4s 68.

Given the date GSM Arena ran those tests, the Wave they tested would have been running the original release firmware. I have noticed a significant improvement in battery life with my Wave with it's current firmware (not the latest available) and suspect if GSM Arena were to run the test again with the firmware I am currently using, they could well see over 90 hours. I charge mine about twice a week.

Quote:
2) Even they didnt get any Samsung phone to beat the iPhone in the results I read.

84 hours doesn't beat 68?. The link to the Waves result is right there on the page you quoted from.

Quote:
I dont know of another phone that does beat the iPhone in every category.

Heres a little spoiler for you. The Apple iPhone 4 excelled in the dedicated video playback test. It scored the whopping 9 hours and 40 minutes of looped playback of our usual test video (converted to the proper format, of course).

The Samsung Wave did 8 hours and 40 minutes in the same challenge, while the Samsung Galaxy S managed nearly 7 hours and 30 minutes. Now thats something, right?


Quite something yes, but the Wave can play just about any video format you throw at it including MKV. That too is something, I think. I suspect also that if GSM Arena had run the test with Mp4 video on the Wave - as they did on the IP4 - instead of the Xvid they used, the Wave may well have done a lot better.


Quote:
The final verdict is that the iPhone 4 is a pretty good performer. Its score is day shorter than what Galaxy S and Samsung Wave achieved but my guess is youd have a hard time depleting the iPhone 4 battery on a single day of regular use. And compared to the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4 is hands-down a superior performer, although at the announcement Apple promised only a marginal improvement. Well, thats one lie we can take.

As to derailing the thread. I will happily keep my mouth shut if people will stop stating bollocks such as AMOLED being a battery hog and unviewable in sunlight.
The most likely explanation as to why Apple don't use AMOLED is that Samsung couldn't make enough of them to supply Apple. They couldn't even meet their own in-house demand, which is probably why the Wave 2 came out with an inferior LCD screen so production capacity could be diverted to the Galaxy and other higher margin models.
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, sorry! Didn't see that.

Obviously the rechargeable double As Apple sells are just rebranded Eneloops, but I believe that Apple's batteries are created in-house because of the heavy credit placed on Apple's engineers in the intro video and in the text on Apple's site.

That could easily be chalked up to Apple stealing credit, so additionally, if they weren't created by Apple, wouldn't the manufacturer come forward to be recognized? Particularly since Apple's batteries are easily the best on the market. At least a leak of data would have happened by now, but nothing. Everyone knows Apple used to use Sony and Toshiba batteries, but I'm just pretty sure they're in-house now.

What Apple does is to give specs to the manufacturers they work with, who then come up with the batteries. There's some give and take there as what Apple may want may not be practical. But on the whole, they are not Apple's batteries.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I Thought you would comment on the exposures. But their conclusions tally with all the other independent sites that have compared the Samsung super AMOLEDs against the IP4 in direct sunlight, so unless you are a conspiracy theorist and argue they are all in cahoots against the IP4, there really is no reason to believe those photos or conclusions are biased.



The reviews I have read, in fact say quite the opposite. Spin-city, as I said.

I have used my Wave to shoot videos while skiing in bright sunlight and can see the screen well enough to judge what I am framing most of the time.

Engadget compared the displays of the Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 in real life conditions - including direct sunlight - and concluded the Samsung AMOLED display was marginally better :http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/i...-amoled-fight/

They also made a little video of the IP4 and Galaxy S side by side in sunlight:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3896872-ipho...ys-in-sunlight


http://www.techanist.com/2010/08/11/...part-1-screen/



http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/201...view-part-two/




And this site doesn't favour Apple and put down Android and every other non Apple piece of software or hardware on the planet? Glass houses and throwing stones springs to mind, not to mention the good old bible, how apropos!:

I'm not interested in what some individuals say. I'd rather see the numbers. And the numbers show that even the new AMOLEDS from Samsung are less bright than a good LCD. In fact, there are no AMOLEDS that are as bright as a good LCD. There will be at some point, but not yet.

It confuses people because as the blacks are much darker, the whites seem to be brighter. But they are not. I've seen the Galaxy II, and it is brighter than the Galaxy I, but not that bright. My iPhone 4 is noticeably brighter.

And please, don't quote the bible. It's childish.
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not interested in what some individuals say. I'd rather see the numbers. And the numbers show that even the new AMOLEDS from Samsung are less bright than a good LCD. In fact, there are no AMOLEDS that are as bright as a good LCD. There will be at some point, but not yet.

It confuses people because as the blacks are much darker, the whites seem to be brighter. But they are not. I've seen the Galaxy II, and it is brighter than the Galaxy I, but not that bright. My iPhone 4 is noticeably brighter.

And please, don't quote the bible. It's childish.

Mel, any comment on the video comparison I linked? the Super AMOLED display certainly looked brighter and more saturated than the IPS-LCD. And isn't the appearance more important than a number to the user?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, a few minutes spent doing Google searches on "Super AMOLED compare to LCD" does seem to give the nod to Super AMOLED in most cases. Perhaps some here are assuming that all AMOLED displays share the same general characteristics, which appears not to be the case. Or just expect Apple is already using the display with the best possible characteristics?

I found this video to be particularly telling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA9oTNhSRaw

I've met people with AMOLEd phones, and every one claimed that their phone was brighter. But when we set out phones on the brightest setting, my iPhone was brighter. Usually, much brighter. As I said, contrast makes it look brighter, even when it's actually dimmer.

I haven't seen a single review yet, from a site that I would trust, that has found an AMOLED phone usable in direct daylight.

There are a lot of no account sites out there who purportedly do reviews. But without the equipment that's required, the reviews are just here-say. And the equipment costs thousands of dollars. Look to Anandtech as a premier site for this.
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mel, any comment on the video comparison I linked? the Super AMOLED display certainly looked brighter and more saturated than the IPS-LCD. And isn't the appearance more important than a number to the user?

First, let me state that these videos aren't very useful. The item being photographed must be shot perpendicularly. All the photo's and videos I've been seeing are shot at an angle.

In this video, the Samsung is the closest to being perpendicular. The two others are at a greater angle. Take a phone and hold it at an angle, and the picture changes. One good thing about an LEd screen is that it doesn't change with angle, like a CRT.

So these phones become dimmer, and lose contrast when photographed at an angle. There is also more reflection at that greater angle.

So that's why online photo's and videos hold no interest for me. I've been in commercial photography for 40 years, and these problems irk me.
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

First, let me state that these videos aren't very useful. The item being photographed must be shot perpendicularly. All the photo's and videos I've been seeing are shot at an angle.

In this video, the Samsung is the closest to being perpendicular. The two others are at a greater angle. Take a phone and hold it at an angle, and the picture changes. One good thing about an LEd screen is that it doesn't change with angle, like a CRT.

So these phones become dimmer, and lose contrast when photographed at an angle. There is also more reflection at that greater angle.

So that's why online photo's and videos hold no interest for me. I've been in commercial photography for 40 years, and these problems irk me.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the entire video? Both the Samsung and iPhone were shown perpendicular, and one above the other.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm guessing you didn't watch the entire video? Both the Samsung and iPhone were shown perpendicular, and one above the other.

I watched it. I wouldn't call what they did as perpendicular.

The point is that the only way of reliably knowing what is what is with properly done measurements, and studio photography, with people who understand the items they are photographing.

And another problem with these photos and videos is that they may not be testing what they think they are. Sometimes one screen may seem to be brighter or contras tier because of the way the phone is made. For example, if a phone has a binder glass and screen, it will seem brighter and contras tier than one that has spaces between. Then your not seeing the difference between the screens alone.

So this is complex. Without knowing all the facts, we may be thinking one thing, when we should be thinking something else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012