or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012 - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I watched it. I wouldn't call what they did as perpendicular.

The point is that the only way of reliably knowing what is what is with properly done measurements, and studio photography, with people who understand the items they are photographing.

And another problem with these photos and videos is that they may not be testing what they think they are. Sometimes one screen may seem to be brighter or contras tier because of the way the phone is made. For example, if a phone has a binder glass and screen, it will seem brighter and contras tier than one that has spaces between. Then your not seeing the difference between the screens alone.

So this is complex. Without knowing all the facts, we may be thinking one thing, when we should be thinking something else.

I've had a graphics service for nearly 30 years Mel. And 40+ years dabbling in photography, tho apparently not on the professional level that you have. But hundreds of hours in profiling monitors, printers, scanners and integrating them into a color accurate workflow under controlled lighting has taught me a few things about perception. I know that no matter how accurate my color profiling, or how particular I've been with curves and levels, the customer's perception of my finished work is what counts. Most couldn't care less about any of the numbers. And quoting them when they feel the color or contrast is off, while explaining that their lights are different than the ones in my "proper" studio, won't do me a bit of good in convincing them it the way it's supposed to be when they see the finished work in place.

In the video I linked it's pretty obvious to me which display has the better contrast, looks brighter, crisper, and with more saturated colors. Surely you aren't saying that we should ignore what our eyes tell us.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #82 of 92
AMOLED screens are brighter than the sun.
That Samsung Galaxy S doesn't look anything like an iPhone.
Samsung sells more smart phones than Apple
My retina is bigger than your retina
Apple is doomed

There you go! Anybody want to talk about Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs now?
post #83 of 92
The iPhone 6 will be the first waterproof dive phone. You will be able to go under water with it to a depth of 300'. They will have an app for turning the phone into a dive computer. You will also be able to make a call with it underwater.
post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've had a graphics service for nearly 30 years Mel. And 40+ years dabbling in photography, tho apparently not on the professional level that you have. But hundreds of hours in profiling monitors, printers, scanners and integrating them into a color accurate workflow under controlled lighting has taught me a few things about perception. I know that no matter how accurate my color profiling, or how particular I've been with curves and levels, the customer's perception of my finished work is what counts. Most couldn't care less about any of the numbers. And quoting them when they feel the color or contrast is off, while explaining that their lights are different than the ones in my "proper" studio, won't do me a bit of good in convincing them it the way it's supposed to be when they see the finished work in place.

In the video I linked it's pretty obvious to me which display has the better contrast, looks brighter, crisper, and with more saturated colors. Surely you aren't saying that we should ignore what our eyes tell us.

I'm saying that the videos of the screens aren't that useful. That many photos I've seen, no matter which phones look better, aren't useful. If one screen is tested at 200 nits, and another at 350, then I know which is brighter.

We know that AMOLED's have over saturated colors, so that not much of an issue. The ones I've seen look way too over saturated. The iPhones, on the other hand, are undersaturated. My iPhone 4 is much better than my 3G is in that respect. But Apple's screens look much more natural with photos than AMOLEDs do, while AMOLEDS look punchier with graphics. Take your pick.

As far as making prints is concerned. We always used 5000k lighting, as I do at home with my GT print viewer. But, we also asked clients about the lighting conditions the prints would be used under.

However, when talking about artistic choices, standards are thrown out the window. But this isn't that.

It's true that AMOLEDs are getting better. I'm in favor of them, and I wish they were much better now, but they aren't. They aren't as efficient as people are making them out to be either. The biggest improvement in the newer Samsung Super Amoled II screens is that they no longer use that stupid method of display, and instead now use a standard RGB arrangement, which allows the display to actually have the resolution the display is rated at, which wasn't the case before.

I'm still Hoping that Apple finds AMOLED displays that are up to its standards before too long.
post #85 of 92
Great - double tapping will be double cracking!
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleKoolaid View Post

The iPhone 6 will be the first waterproof dive phone. You will be able to go under water with it to a depth of 300'. They will have an app for turning the phone into a dive computer. You will also be able to make a call with it underwater.


I think they'd stick to apple strategy historically and go with 150' ...well above typical dive depths for even advanced divers.
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not interested in what some individuals say. I'd rather see the numbers. And the numbers show that even the new AMOLEDS from Samsung are less bright than a good LCD. In fact, there are no AMOLEDS that are as bright as a good LCD. There will be at some point, but not yet.

It confuses people because as the blacks are much darker, the whites seem to be brighter. But they are not. I've seen the Galaxy II, and it is brighter than the Galaxy I, but not that bright. My iPhone 4 is noticeably brighter.

And please, don't quote the bible. It's childish.

You talk about being childish! You equivocate continuously, and dance around the issue no matter what evidence is brought to bear. You don't accept any evidence except that which suits you - ie. - that which delivers the result you want.

The issue is legibility in direct sunlight. You are fixated on absolute brightness and try and twist the issue and make out that that is the one and only relevant metric to the point you bring up contrast almost as if it is a negative quality!

Super AMOLEDS are legible in direct sunlight to the point most commentators at least equate them to the IP4 or find them superior. Photos, show it, videos show it, the commentators eyes perceive it, but you are in denial.

You say you have seen the Galaxy S 2 and state that it is brighter than the previous model. You previously stated:

Quote:
It's interesting that reviews of AMOLED devices say that they are unusable outdoors in direct sunlight.. All of the ones I've seem have been as well.

There is ample evidence the existing Galaxy S screen is viewable in direct sunlight. You have stated the new S 2 screen is brighter than it's predecessor and that you have seen it in person, yet you stated all the AMOLED screens you have seen aren't usable in direct sunlight - which logically would include the new brighter S 2 screen.

I question your perceptual abilities.
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You talk about being childish! You equivocate continuously, and dance around the issue no matter what evidence is brought to bear. You don't accept any evidence except that which suits you - ie. - that which delivers the result you want.

The issue is legibility in direct sunlight. You are fixated on absolute brightness and try and twist the issue and make out that that is the one and only relevant metric to the point you bring up contrast almost as if it is a negative quality!

Super AMOLEDS are legible in direct sunlight to the point most commentators at least equate them to the IP4 or find them superior. Photos, show it, videos show it, the commentators eyes perceive it, but you are in denial.

You say you have seen the Galaxy S 2 and state that it is brighter than the previous model. You previously stated:



There is ample evidence the existing Galaxy S screen is viewable in direct sunlight. You have stated the new S 2 screen is brighter than it's predecessor and that you have seen it in person, yet you stated all the AMOLED screens you have seen aren't usable in direct sunlight - which logically would include the new brighter S 2 screen.

I question your perceptual abilities.

Viewable and usable are two different things. I question your thought processes.
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.

The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.

The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.

They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.

nice
post

james bond time
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #90 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah! You must have read Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell's book "The Moté in God's Eye". This book, from the mid 1970s describes a personal assistant that's very much like the iPhone, except that the entire unit is made of a single block of glass-like material.

The story takes place more than a thousand years from now, so we're slightly ahead of the timeline.

one of the best sci fi books ever written

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #91 of 92
All I know is iPhone 6 better be able to play blu-ray.
post #92 of 92
It's time for Apple to start a long list of product upgrades, and the odor of mind farts is under whelming. Gezz people give it a break, we will get what Apples got when we get it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012