or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors

iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors

post #1 of 47
Apple's iPad accounted for 74 percent of tablet shipments in the first quarter of 2011, as combined Mac and iPad sales made Apple one of the top five PC vendors in the world by volume.

Research firm Canalys revealed on Thursday its estimated PC shipments for the first quarter of calendar 2011. Apple ranked fourth in the three-month frame with total combined iPad and Mac shipments of 8.5 million.

Apple's sales were good for 9.5 percent of the global market, and represented a whopping 187.9 percent year over year increase, thanks largely to the success of the iPad.

The iPad remained the dominant tablet in the market in the first quarter, accounting for 74 percent of all devices shipped. Apple's market dominance came even as the company reported slower than expected sales of 4.69 million iPads last quarter, as production of the in-demand iPad 2 began to ramp up.

Canalys noted that the full impact of the iPad 2 launch won't be realized until subsequent quarters are completed, as it launched in the latter part of the previous quarter and stock was extremely limited.

"Taking into consideration the iPad's 'halo effect' on the company's other products, Apple has grown considerably in most markets worldwide," Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling said. "As the iPad 2 and its competitors continue to roll out, we expect pad sales to propel PC market growth for the rest of the year."

The firm recently conducted a survey that found most tablet owners use the device like a PC rather than a media player or e-book readers. The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking.

"This broad usage pattern reinforces the pad's role as a general-purpose computing device, and much more than just a consumption device," Coulling said. "The pad represents a real threat to PC and consumer electronics vendors, as it is capable of replacing devices in a range of other categories."

Combined Mac and iPad sales put Apple ahead of Lenovo, which shipped 8.2 million units and earned a 9.2 percent share. Lenovo posted 17 percent year over year growth.

Apple lagged behind rival Dell, which took third place with 10 million units shipped. Dell's PC business grew 2.8 percent year over year, and accounted for 11.3 percent of global PC shipments.

The top global PC vendor for the first quarter of 2011 was HP, which shipped 14.7 million units and took a 16.6 percent market share. In second was Acer, with 11.3 million shipped PCs and a 12.8 percent share. Both leaders saw their sales slip year over year.

Apple's share in the first quarter of 2011 did slip from the end of 2010, when Canalys said that Apple was the No. 3 global PC maker. Including the iPad gave Apple an astounding 241 percent year over year growth during the holiday period.
post #2 of 47
74% ... I expected so.
post #3 of 47
I can see this...when I get my iPad2 I will convert and simplify all my sales documents and charts so I can update them on my iPad2 anywhere and anytime. A little extra work to effect the changes, but well worth it in time savings down the road!

It certainly has changed my mind as to buying an 11" MBA. I may just save the money and go SCUBA diving instead!

My iP4, an iPad2 and my old original intel iMac and I'm good to go.

Simplify:

My iP4 allowed me to sell my camera, not buy a GPS unit (TomTom App), give away my iPods to my nieces and not buy a video camera.

Looks like the iPad2 may allow me not to buy a laptop, too!

Go Apple!
post #4 of 47
74%... Below three quarters... Droidtards around the world rejoice!
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

74% ... I expected so.

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at by their GF's. That is, the ones that have GF's.
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

74% ... I expected so.

That's only the shipment number. Actual sale through is the one we want to know.
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at buy their GF's. That is the ones that have GF's.

I would think at least half of that 26% are still sitting in distributor warehouses.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

That's only the shipment number. Actual sale through is the one we want to know.

There you go. I thought it seemed low!
post #9 of 47
No surprise. Saw the Playbook. It was better than the slew of no name 7" tablets at the bottom of the market, but there's no software, and I just don't see the value proposition. It's not a replacement for the iPad in any sense. In fact, it's just like an overgrown Creative Labs video player with the addition of a touchscreen and WiFi. I was going to call it a "giant iPod Touch, minus the iPod"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 47
Canalys gets it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 47
This means that competitors sold 1.5 million tablets in the first quarter (before PlayBook even arrived). I don't believe that.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #12 of 47
I just got my iPad 2 64GB WiFi couple of days ago and I am loving it
It sits on my living room table and I love the convenience of picking up the tablet, checking my mail, reading the news all in a matters of seconds. No need for dragging my laptop and my charger around the place... I am going on a vacation in couple of months, and I dont think I'll be bringing my laptop this time around.
I purchased Filterstorm Pro which will help me edit my photos and upload them to flickr. I am as excited as a little kid in a candy store
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This means that competitors sold 1.5 million tablets in the first quarter (before PlayBook even arrived). I don't believe that.

No, it means they "shipped" them. Shipment numbers are basically meaningless, if the product, like so many of these "competitors" isn't selling.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it means they "shipped" them. Shipment numbers are basically meaningless, if the product, like so many of these "competitors" isn't selling.

The headline says "market share" and here is the generally accepted definition of that term: "sales revenue (from that market) divided by the total sales revenue available in that market"

post #15 of 47
Quote:

The headline says "market share" and here is the generally accepted definition of that term: "sales revenue (from that market) divided by the total sales revenue available in that market"

Around here people think marketshare can only relate to the number of units and can’t be measured as a share of the revenue for the market.

Just to be clear the Canalys spreadsheet does list shipments.

post #16 of 47
Quote:

Exactly. There's no way that one in four tablets out in the users' hands is some Droid thing. It may get there some day, but it's most certainly not there today.
post #17 of 47
Quote:

I would think at least half of that 26% are still sitting in distributor warehouses.

Sitting smoothly.
post #18 of 47
Anyone surprised by this? Like it or not, the iPad is what all other tablets are aspiring to be.

That said, can someone please take the current iOS notification system out back and shoot it? Seriously. Just steal one from another vendor, everyone else steals from Apple often enough. Or hire the guy who made MobileNotifier.
post #19 of 47
Quote:

I agree. AI needs to fix the headline and call it 'shipment share' instead of 'market share.'
post #20 of 47
Canalys? Who the F is Canalys? They are obviously incompetent. There isn't a single viable or successful alternative to the iPad out there and Apple only has 74% market share? That is absolutely impossible. Where do these idiots come from?
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

Anyone surprised by this? Like it or not, the iPad is what all other tablets are aspiring to be.

That said, can someone please take the current iOS notification system out back and shoot it? Seriously. Just steal one from another vendor, everyone else steals from Apple often enough. Or hire the guy who made MobileNotifier.

From June 9th 2010:
One of the key players in creating Palm's WebOS mobile operating system, a man who designed its non-intrusive notification system, is now Apple's Senior User Interface Designer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html
post #22 of 47
I feel the iphone and ipod touch are also computers in every way . <<time to count them also>> .

lets add those numbers too and then we will see the true apple greatness and market power

pow

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #23 of 47
Quote:

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at by their GF's. That is, the ones that have GF's.

You have to wonder how much of that 26% is actually in the hands of end users.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I feel the iphone and ipod touch are also computers in every way . <<time to count them also>> .

lets add those numbers too and then we will see the true apple greatness and market power

pow

I'd also like to see the extra column on such tables showing the profitability of each segment. Volume doesn't a winner make.
post #25 of 47
Quote:

Broken down this way:

67% still in channel

33% sold to customers.
Of which:
31% unused sitting on coffee table after first 2 weeks
24% actually being used
22% returned
13% already sitting on closet shelf
8% given to baby to use as soother
1.5% keeping fridge level
.5% keeping washer level (after seeing the effectiveness as a fridge leveler)
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Broken down this way:

60% still in channel

40% sold to customers.
Of which:
24% actually being used
22% returned
8% giving to baby to use as soother

One fact we know for sure, iPads are not sitting on shelves in stock rooms!
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

One fact we know for sure, iPads are not sitting on shelves in stock rooms!

I had to change my data after I learned that DaHarder didn't purchase 3 each of the Playbooks for his family members.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #28 of 47
Quote:

I had to change my data after I learned that DaHarder didn't purchase 3 each of the Playbooks for his family members.

LOL I was goign to ask what percentage were bought by DaHarder in your broken down this way post.
post #29 of 47
It seems interesting that overall shipments grew by 5,770,630. Apple with iPad sales grew 5,517,670. Almost 96% of the growth is coming from Apple.
post #30 of 47
"The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking."

This is certainly true for my personal anecdote. The iPad is not a "media" device. It is truly a computer. My laptop usage has essentially just been reduced to downloading the latest Ubuntu torrent and SW development.
post #31 of 47
Quote:

That's why it's important to read beyond the headline if you want to know what's going on.
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

"The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking."

This is certainly true for my personal anecdote. The iPad is not a "media" device. It is truly a computer. My laptop usage has essentially just been reduced to downloading the latest Ubuntu torrent and SW development.

The whole "media tablet" thing has always been a misnomer. I think it's basically a result of the Microsoft propaganda machine "convincing" analysts and others to call them that so they can pretend that Windows tablets are some sort of distinct and superior type of device.
post #33 of 47
I use my ipod touch more than my Macbook. I can lay on my back and browse, download, read, facebook, play games, etc. Although I have really sharp eyes :P
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #34 of 47
can someone simply re-format that chart to include Q1 profits and revenue.

Screw shipments.
post #35 of 47
My son saw a commercial for the BlackBerry Playbook - and he said - oh look a smaller iPad - it's bigger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad. I told him, it is similar to an iPad but it is not an iPad. He said, yes i know - it's a smaller iPad.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

My son saw a commercial for the BlackBerry Playbook - and he said - oh look a smaller iPad - it's bigger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad. I told him, it is similar to an iPad but it is not an iPad. He said, yes i know - it's a smaller iPad.

Thats cute assuming your son isnt 30yo and still living at home.
post #37 of 47
Quote:

LOL...chicks dig a man who can root his own tablet and customize the home screen with 10,000 widgets all sucking down battery life. That should be the next Motorola Xoom TV commercial

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I use my ipod touch more than my Macbook. I can lay on my back and browse, download, read, facebook, play games, etc.

Although I have really sharp eyes :P

Enjoy it while you can, kiddo! I guarantee it won't be like that forever. 40 may (or may not) seem like a long time off for you, but it'll come before you're ready for it!
No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #39 of 47
Quote:

Broken down this way:

67% still in channel

33% sold to customers.
Of which:
24% actually being used
22% returned
8% given to baby to use as soother

Love it!

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One of the key players in creating Palm's WebOS mobile operating system, a man who designed its non-intrusive notification system, is now Apple's Senior User Interface Designer.

Well, thank FSM for that. While he's there, can we can get card-style multitasking too? iPad2 can surely handle it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors