or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Hints of new 'Castle' codenamed iCloud service found in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Hints of new 'Castle' codenamed iCloud service found in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion - Page 2

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is a lot to be said for regional data centers which is why Apple uses Akamai since they have data centers all over the world which are both load balanced as well as region specific. The North Carolina bandwidth may be fast but it doesn't make up for being diversified and geographically close to the the requesting client. You can have the biggest datacenter in the world but your overall speed, redundancy and capacity would be much more robust and fault tolerant with multiple distributed facilities.

Ok... so here is an interesting question I hadn't thought of.

Is it possible that Apple already has the capacity to offer their cloud services via 3rd party data centers... making the NC data center more of a backup (e.g. if the regional data center isn't available you fall back to NC) ?

It's possible to follow the development of these massive first party data centers, however it's almost impossible to get specific details on involvement with third party data centers.

Apple could have been buying up extra capacity in third party data centers over the last couple of years without anyone outside of Apple actually knowing.
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I just shared a file on my idisk with a copied url, so I'm going to say you can do that. What am I missing or misunderstanding?

I forgot to mention that I'd like to copy it from Finder, instead of having to open a browser to share a file I just put in a folder with Finder.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Hints of new 'Castle' codenamed iCloud service found in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion