or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bin Laden is dead

Bin Laden is dead - Page 8

post #281 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Let me ask this...would you have felt better if Congress had formerly declared war on Al-Qaeda? Would it be better if we gave POW protections to enemies captured?

How brutally naive. Has Bin Laden ever identified himself as the leader of 'Al Qaeda'? Has anyone ever declared themselves a member, even? Specifically whom would we be declaring war on?

Who is "Al Qaeda" and who gets to decide who they are? Until you have those answers how the FUCk could you 'declare war' on them?
post #282 of 292
Quote:

Now we're talking semantics. Congress authorized President Bush to use force in finding and punishing the perpetrators

Did Bush do that? Who authorized Bush and Obama to go after people who were NOT the perpetrators?
post #283 of 292
Quote:

I, for one, propose that you are not allowed to say how you'd feel *if* you lost a family member on 9/11. Alternatively, we could just choose to ignore you.

Now we're talking semantics. Congress authorized President Bush to use force in finding and punishing the perpetrators

That is simply wrong. We're not "conquering" nations in any sense. And yes, people onm the other side of a conflict are usually perceived as...I don't know....ENEMIES.

What is unconstitutional? There was congressional authority for us to attack both countries. We didn't invade Iraq because of 9/11, we invaded because of how 9/11 changed the way we saw the world and threats in general. We invaded Afghanistan to root out Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

That is not even close to a reasonable analogy. It's laughable, actually.

Yeah, we're just a big, bad bully imposing our will on everyone. Man, you're really going over the edge now. Pretty soon you'll start making Star Wars references.

Exactly. There is no "law" here. This is war. The notion of putting a guy like bin Laden on trial is absurd....nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Alternatively, we could just choose to ignore you.

Who's " We "? God! You never change! Tonton asked a valid question. And by the way we invaded Iraq partially as a dodge because we couldn't get OBL at the time and ol' dubya had to to do something to look competent. Remember how your favorite president kept mixing the two ( 911 and Iraq ) together?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #284 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

...and ol' dubya had to to do something to look competent.

Sounds pretty much like reasoning for Obama to go into Libya.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #285 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Sounds pretty much like reasoning for Obama to go into Libya.

Oh? Have we actually done more than discuss that yet? Which by the way is more lead time than Bush gave Iraq.
post #286 of 292
Quote:

Oh? Have we actually done more than discuss that yet? Which by the way is more lead time than Bush gave Iraq.

Whatever.

I think they're both wrong. That's the difference between us.

post #287 of 292
Quote:

Whatever.

I think they're both wrong. That's the difference between us.

I think the real difference is one has happened and the other is hasn't and is speculation by you at this point.
I think it most unlikely he'll invade at this point.
post #288 of 292
Quote:

I think the real difference is one has happened and the other is hasn't and is speculation by you at this point.
I think it most unlikely he'll invade at this point.

What hasn't happened? Who won't "invade" what?

post #289 of 292
Quote:

What hasn't happened? Who won't "invade" what?

Sorry I thought you were actually participating in the discussion you've already replied to.

I guess you were just moving your fingers. On the one side we have Dubbya who really did invade Iraq with air, sea, and land support in an occupation thats lasted almost a decade now and on the other hand we have Obama who participated in a campaign against Libya by supplying air strikes. So that's what you're comparing?
post #290 of 292
Quote:

Sorry I thought you were actually participating in the discussion you've already replied to.

I guess you were just moving your fingers. On the one side we have Dubbya who really did invade Iraq with air, sea, and land support in an occupation thats lasted almost a decade now and on the other hand we have Obama who participated in a campaign against Libya by supplying air strikes. So that's what you're comparing?

You'll forgive my confusion over the subtle and nuanced distinction between bombing the shit out of ("attacking") a country from the comfort of an easy chair and actually "invading" a country. I forgot my Newspeak translation guide. I sincerely do apologize because I know these distinctions are vitally important among the "Anti-Republican-War but Pro-Democratic-War" crowd.

post #291 of 292
Quote:

You'll forgive my confusion over the subtle and nuanced distinction between bombing the shit out of ("attacking") a country from the comfort of an easy chair and actually "invading" a country. I forgot my Newspeak translation guide. I sincerely do apologize because I know these distinctions are vitally important among the "Anti-Republican-War but Pro-Democratic-War" crowd.

Well One instance of invasion and occupation is real and one is not. One is unrealized speculation on your part and there's no way around that. Much as you don't like it they are two different things. Much as you'd like them to be the same.
post #292 of 292
Quote:

Well One instance of invasion and occupation is real and one is not. One is unrealized speculation on your part and there's no way around that. Much as you don't like it they are two different things. Much as you'd like them to be the same.

Again, you'll forgive me for missing the nuanced distinctions between one deadly military action and another.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bin Laden is dead