or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's VP of software technology to be witness at US congressional hearing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's VP of software technology to be witness at US congressional hearing

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Guy L. "Bud" Tribble, Apple's vice president of software technology, is scheduled to appear at a congressional hearing on mobile privacy on May 10.

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., announced the list of witnesses scheduled for the hearing set for next Tuesday. Franken is chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law.

The subcommittee's first hearing will deal with mobile privacy in the wake of an iPhone location database controversy that Apple quickly addressed this week with an iOS software update. The hearing, which will begin at 10 a.m., is entitled "Protecting Mobile Privacy: Your Smartphones, Tablets, Cell phones and your Privacy."

Tribble served as manager of Apple's original Macintosh software development team, and helped design the original Mac OS and user interface. He also joined Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs as one of the founders of NeXT. He rejoined Apple and Jobs in 2002.

Tribble is a part of the second panel scheduled to appear at the hearing. He will be joined by Google's director of public policy for the Americas, Alan Davidson. Also on the panel are Justin Brookman, director for project on consumer privacy at the Center for Democracy and Technology; Ashkan Soltani, independent researcher and consultant; and Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for Competitive Technology.

The first panel includes Jessica Rich, deputy director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the Federal Trade Commission, and Jason Weinstein, deputy assistant attorney general of the Criminal Division at U.S. Department of Justice.



Last week, Jobs gave an interview and revealed that Apple would participate in the congressional hearing.

Franken called both Apple and Google to the U.S. Senate hearing on mobile privacy in late April. The hearing was scheduled after security researchers detailed a location database file being stored on iPhones and 3G-equipped iPads running iOS 4 or later.

The issue raised such a stir that Apple was forced to publicly speak on the issue, and explain that the database is a cache of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower database information to help with location services. A bug in the iOS software made the data collection more extensive than Apple intended, and this week's release of iOS 4.3.3 shrunk the size of the file, and made it so the file is deleted entirely when users turn off Location Services on their iPhone.
post #2 of 22
trouble with Tribbles
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Hmmm.... I wonder who they're going to give a harder time to, Apple or Google?

Top Contributors To Barack Obama, 2008
University of California\t$1,591,395
Goldman Sachs\t$994,795
Harvard University\t$854,747
Microsoft Corp\t$833,617
Google Inc\t$803,436
Citigroup Inc\t$701,290
JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$695,132
Time Warner\t$590,084
Sidley Austin LLP\t$588,598
Stanford University\t$586,557
National Amusements Inc\t$551,683
UBS AG\t$543,219
Wilmerhale Llp\t$542,618
Skadden, Arps et al\t$530,839
IBM Corp\t$528,822
Columbia University\t$528,302
Morgan Stanley\t$514,881
General Electric\t$499,130
US Government\t$494,820
Latham & Watkins\t$493,835
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/co...&cid=N00009638

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.
post #4 of 22
Mr. Jobs has a personal history of generous contributions to the DNC and their candidates too.
http://digg.com/news/technology/List...0_to_Democrats

I think they probably have a favorable opinion of Apple's CEO.

FWIW, the list you linked is not showing contributions from the corporations themselves, but rather their employees, PAC's etc.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.

Wow...
Spewing a lot of sophomoric anger maybe?
I guess you'd prefer more brilliant Minnesotans like Looney Tunes Bachmann?

Take of the ideological blinders dude. Franken's a sharp guy.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Hmmm.... I wonder who they're going to give a harder time to, Apple or Google?

And having contributed to President Obama gets them off the hook with Congress... how?
post #7 of 22
I had high hopes upon Franken's election to the Senate. He's a smart guy and I generally share his political philosophy. But I'm wondering what he was thinking in calling this hearing. I'm not saying there aren't real issues in general that need addressing. But the particular issue that spawned this hearing--"tracking gate"-- has been blown out of proportion. By going nuclear on it he comes off looking like just another congressional witch hunter. Either he is not aware that level heads have judged this matter overblown, or his politics are more libertarian than progressive. Either way I am a little disappointed.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And having contributed to President Obama gets them off the hook with Congress... how?

Do you know how Crony Capitalism works?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Yeah, but he's small time. He needs to step up his game.

http://www.newsmeat.com/billionaire_...Steve_Jobs.php

No, we're small time. . . or at least I am. I think I gave a $25 contribution to some Democrat 10 or 15 years ago. Since that didn't get me an invite to one of their dinners I've figured why waste my money.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.

That's a little scary. Just as chimp and monkey imagery have historically been used to smear blacks, pig imagery has been used in the same way to smear jews. You don't have to like him, but you might want to be more judicious in your descriptive metaphors if you don't want others wondering if your objections might be fueled by anti-semitism rather than just political differences.

As a music guy you are likely more aware of the power of nuance than other folks.

Just a friendly suggestion, no intention to bash or put-down. Hope you take it in that spirit.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Do you know how Crony Capitalism works?

You miss his point.
President and Congress are different political entities.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I wonder if Franken will be able to speak in coherent sentences without having spittle flying out from between his pig lips.

At least he doesn't go on Internet forums and make disgusting offensive remarks about people he doesn't even know.

Also, at least he's funny and reasonably smart whereas you are obviously just mean.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You miss his point.
President and Congress are different political entities.

I know that. But the assumption that there is some real wall of separation strikes me as a bit naive. The President and his administration influence a lot of what happens in Congress. To believe that there wouldn't be informal, back-channel communication about what things to do or not do, favors exchanged, etc. is...well...quite difficult to swallow.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Yeah, but he's small time. He needs to step up his game.

http://www.newsmeat.com/billionaire_...Steve_Jobs.php

Those are pretty big considering that he is only paid $1/year.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Those are pretty big considering that he is only paid $1/year.

Same pay as Warren Buffett I believe. Couldn't have anything to do with taxes on capital gains of course.\
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Well, you never know. But Google did beat out Apple for that U.S. Army Smartphone contract.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...not_apple.html

And other leading contributors to Obama, such as Goldman Sachs, Citigroup Inc, and JPMorgan Chase, certainly got lots of help from Congress shortly after their donations.

Here's the list from the same source for Obama's opponent, John McCain. Notice where your culprits are on his list. These companies hedge their bets by playing both sides.

Top Contributors to John McCain 2008
Merrill Lynch\t$373,595
Citigroup Inc\t$322,051
Morgan Stanley\t$273,452
Goldman Sachs\t$230,095
JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$228,107
US Government\t$208,379
AT&T Inc\t$201,438
Wachovia Corp\t$195,063
UBS AG\t$192,493
Credit Suisse Group\t$183,353
PricewaterhouseCoopers\t$167,900
US Army\t$167,820
Bank of America\t$166,026
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher\t$159,596
Blank Rome LLP\t$154,226
Greenberg Traurig LLP\t$146,437
US Dept of Defense\t$144,105
FedEx Corp\t$131,974
Bear Stearns\t$117,498
Lehman Brothers\t$114,357
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #17 of 22
this trimble guy, whats he do?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Same pay as Warren Buffett I believe. Couldn't have anything to do with taxes on capital gains of course.\

No.

Not even sure what (remote) connection is.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Here's the list from the same source for Obama's opponent, John McCain. Notice where your culprits are on his list. These companies hedge their bets by playing both sides.

Top Contributors to John McCain 2008
Merrill Lynch\t$373,595
Citigroup Inc\t$322,051
Morgan Stanley\t$273,452
Goldman Sachs\t$230,095
JPMorgan Chase & Co\t$228,107
US Government\t$208,379
AT&T Inc\t$201,438
Wachovia Corp\t$195,063
UBS AG\t$192,493
Credit Suisse Group\t$183,353
PricewaterhouseCoopers\t$167,900
US Army\t$167,820
Bank of America\t$166,026
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher\t$159,596
Blank Rome LLP\t$154,226
Greenberg Traurig LLP\t$146,437
US Dept of Defense\t$144,105
FedEx Corp\t$131,974
Bear Stearns\t$117,498
Lehman Brothers\t$114,357

Wow, that is quite a big disparity between the parties. Goldman Sachs gives Obama nearly $1 million, but gives McCain only $230,000? I don't think that's called playing both sides, that's called throwing a bone to McCain just to make him think he hasn't been forgotten.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I had high hopes upon Franken's election to the Senate. He's a smart guy and I generally share his political philosophy. But I'm wondering what he was thinking in calling this hearing. I'm not saying there aren't real issues in general that need addressing. But the particular issue that spawned this hearing--"tracking gate"-- has been blown out of proportion. By going nuclear on it he comes off looking like just another congressional witch hunter. Either he is not aware that level heads have judged this matter overblown, or his politics are more libertarian than progressive. Either way I am a little disappointed.

Or, he sees the publicity the issue this generated as the perfect time to focus attention on, and raise the level of public awareness of, the problem of private companies engaged in mass cyber-stalking of citizens. Sounds pretty progressive to me. I'd wait to see how the hearings go before getting disappointed.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Wow, that is quite a big disparity between the parties. Goldman Sachs gives Obama nearly $1 million, but gives McCain only $230,000? I don't think that's called playing both sides, that's called throwing a bone to McCain just to make him think he hasn't been forgotten.

That's called hedging your bets. The probably apportioned their donations based on the total amount budgeted and the perceived odds of each candidate winning. So, Goldman obviously rated Obama as a 4:1 favorite to win the election.
post #22 of 22
Back on topic, it is worth noting Apple already fixed the issue in iOS. So I am happy, even if my god dammed horse didn't win.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's VP of software technology to be witness at US congressional hearing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's VP of software technology to be witness at US congressional hearing