or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › dead (I think) Macbook Pro - need advice please

dead (I think) Macbook Pro - need advice please

post #1 of 3
2008 pre-unibody MBP. Didn't wake from sleep. When I lifted the lid, the white pulsing light became steady, but the screen remained black. Keys, etc., were unresponsive. Had to shut down by holding the power button. It doesn't seem to be merely a display issue. When I power it back up, and wait long enough that it should be booted up, then close the lid to put it back to sleep, the light still remains steady and I hear the fan-like sound of the hard drive spinning. So it doesn't seem to be fully booting. I tried putting my Snow Leopard disc in (the CD drive whirs on startup), thinking I might be able to boot from disc, but no go; and now the disc won't eject either. Screen has remained completely dark during all this.

I replaced the hard drive in December with a 500GB Hitachi because I needed more space -- it was a clone-externally-then-swap job that went smoothly and had been working just fine since.

I have been doing Time Machine backups to a G-Drive Mini, so I still have everything.

Advice appreciated. I'd like to know if this is symptomatic of a hard drive failure, or if it sounds like this thing is dead.

-typed on a Samsung netbook.

EDIT:
I should add that this computer is treated VERY nicely. Never handled roughly. Only has one scratch in 3-1/2 years of use. So it couldn't be caused by shock or abuse.
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Advice appreciated. I'd like to know if this is symptomatic of a hard drive failure, or if it sounds like this thing is dead.

A hard drive failure would typically boot to a screen with a flashing folder icon and it would allow you to boot from the system disc. The drive likely wouldn't spin up fully either.

First thing to try would be an SMC reset by removing the battery and power cable, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then put the power cable back in and boot up - I'd leave the battery out to eliminate it as a problem.

If you have an external display or TV with VGA input and a suitable adaptor, try plugging it in and see if it shows anything while booting.

Also try removing each of your RAM chips in turn and booting up:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...1260-RAM/652/1

If nothing works, you may be looking at a logic board or GPU failure. These machines had the old 8600M GT GPUs that broke due to a manufacturing defect.
post #3 of 3
Thanks for the tips! Did all but the monitor check, since I didn't have a monitor or TV. No dice. Took a drive to the Apple store thinking it'd be a 'recovery' case, so I wanted to know how best to go about retrieving my files. Turns out they are replacing those graphics cards for free -- even though my MBP is 3-1/2 years old and I don't have Apple Care. So my MBP is 'in hock' at the moment, but looks to be coming back as a working machine soon...

Thanks again
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › dead (I think) Macbook Pro - need advice please