or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Cloud adds support for Apple's iOS; UK Queen orders an iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon Cloud adds support for Apple's iOS; UK Queen orders an iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's kind of sad that people complain about how heavy the iPad is, and a woman of 85 finds it lightweight.

She's used to wearing a damn heavy crown though
post #42 of 84
Bullocks should they! In the United States, we as Natural Born Citizens are Sovereigns! Defend our birthrights!

Campaign for Liberty, FTW: http://campaignforliberty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Methinks the time has come for Apple to apply for a Royal Warrant.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...ssociation.asp
post #43 of 84
Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.


"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person
holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of
the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind
whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters
of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but
gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,
ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any
Title of Nobility
.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Steve might get that knighthood yet.
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Although US corporations rarely bring their foreign profits home (because of, you guessed it, higher US corporate tax rates), but that's another topic.......

Google UK (based on Buckingham Palace Road in London -- so just next door to the Queen!) don't even pay their taxes in the UK. A handy loophole means they pay corporation tax in Ireland (at 8%, I think).

Cheers Google. That's why I never click on any of your sodding ads.
post #45 of 84
Sodding taxes, you mean -- just legalized theft is all it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Google UK (based on Buckingham Palace Road in London -- so just next door to the Queen!) don't even pay their taxes in the UK. A handy loophole means they pay corporation tax in Ireland (at 8%, I think).

Cheers Google. That's why I never click on any of your sodding ads.
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Sodding taxes, you mean -- just legalized theft is all it is.

Well, that's true. But I can't get out of paying taxes, so I'm bitter!
post #47 of 84
Back on topic a bit...

I totally understand where the Queen is coming from. My Mother-in-Law (a tad younger than the Queen) decided she wants an iPad after seeing my son (just over 2) happily navigating our 1st gen iPad to read his books, play games, and watch videos. She's also quite keen on keeping up with photos, and have a go at that 'Face Phone thingy' -- I'm guessing she means FaceTime!

Now, bear in mind that this is a person who has never had a computer, and (to my knowledge) never used one (amazing, I know). She's not had a mobile either. But, she's going to give an iPad a go. Okay, maybe the iPad isn't magical, but it's pretty damn close!
post #48 of 84
Appleinsider - please please please PLEASE stop mixing multiple stories into one article. Looking for comments on the Amazon news inside all the chatter about The Queen is MADDENING! STOP IT!!! It makes the comments confused and pointless.
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Motorola, makes Android devices and is also an American company, but we really don't know how much tax Apple pays on the international sale of a device since they undoubtedly have accounts in foreign banks and only when the profits are returned to the US do they pay tax. I'm not an accountant but it is certainly not as cut and dried as you say.

Motorola is an American multi-national.
Google is also an American multi-national.
However, Google does not charge a single penny for Android, all its flavors, or Honeycomb. What Google gives away, is not taxed. No tax, no US revenue.
When Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Amazon, etc. makes a tablet, it's running a non-revenue producing OS that does not benefit the US government or its citizens. It also does not provide US jobs. In the meantime, Google tracks our advertising trends, as if Americans without jobs were to support the rest of the world.

Without sounding like a Tea Party candidate, Google is kinda Un-American! So thank you Queen Mother and screw you Google and the Android you rode in on!
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I know few give a crap (perhaps justifyable so), and at the risk of being picayune, I should point out that Queen Elizabeth II isn't only the queen of the UK. Her actual title is Queen of the Commonwealth realms, since she is also the queen of sixteen sovereign independent states.

I think iPads are generally quite popular with the elderly, once they are given the chance to actually use one.

At the risk of also being picayune, that isn't her title

Her title in the UK (where she resides) is "Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

In other countries she has similar titles (you can normally replace "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" with the country name and drop "Defender of the Faith"), but in none is she "Queen of the Commonwealth realms".
post #51 of 84
"We are not amused!"

(oh, wait... we ARE. Never mind.)
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

However, Google does not charge a single penny for Android, all its flavors, or Honeycomb. What Google gives away, is not taxed. No tax, no US revenue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097515

Nearly all these multi-national corporations are ultra-aggressive with tax avoidance. Apple is no exception.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

She's used to wearing a damn heavy crown though

HAHA! Nice.
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Google UK (based on Buckingham Palace Road in London -- so just next door to the Queen!) don't even pay their taxes in the UK. A handy loophole means they pay corporation tax in Ireland (at 8%, I think).

Cheers Google. That's why I never click on any of your sodding ads.

Oh, yes. Ireland which was the wonderful, doing-everything-Wall-Street-wanted, until everything collapsed on their heads. Whereas Iceland, which had much more debt, has recovered by devaluing their currency and sending the bankers responsible to jail.

Remind me to laugh when people start saying the United States should act like Ireland with low corporate taxes and lax regulations. We will end up the same way if we're not smart.


Quote:
Section 10
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation;

(from another poster)
Well, right there -- how did the Confederacy not violate that clause?
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Methinks the time has come for Apple to apply for a Royal Warrant.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...ssociation.asp

Americans can't hold titles, but can our products get royal warrants? It's kinda like a title for a thing, isn't it? Sir iPad of Cupertino. Sir Gallapad?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

(from another poster)
Well, right there -- how did the Confederacy not violate that clause?

They did, and it didn't turn out well for them.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Motorola is an American multi-national.
Google is also an American multi-national.
However, Google does not charge a single penny for Android, all its flavors, or Honeycomb. What Google gives away, is not taxed. No tax, no US revenue.
When Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, Amazon, etc. makes a tablet, it's running a non-revenue producing OS that does not benefit the US government or its citizens. It also does not provide US jobs. In the meantime, Google tracks our advertising trends, as if Americans without jobs were to support the rest of the world.

Without sounding like a Tea Party candidate, Google is kinda Un-American! So thank you Queen Mother and screw you Google and the Android you rode in on!

Actually Google is among the list of companies that is currently lobbying for a tax holiday for the repatriation of foreign held profits. Here is a really good article on the subject: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1064108107.htm
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.


"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person
holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of
the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind
whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters
of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but
gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,
ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any
Title of Nobility
.
"

Oh, get a grip (and a sense of humor, if you can).

He just won't use the title 'Sir', that's all.
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's kind of sad that people complain about how heavy the iPad is, and a woman of 85 finds it lightweight.

I will be 82 yrs in July. I don't find the IPad heavy either.
We worked for a living, well I did and I know Her Majesty is a very active woman with dogs and horses, and still works as Queen of England and the Commonwealth.

I'm sure she worries about her family like any other mother, grandmother or great grandmother would.

She also has the Commonwealth to deal with. It isn't an easy job to be Queen.

I saw her just after she became Queen with Prince Philip. I was about 20 ft. away from her as she rode by in an open convertible, in Montreal. She was such a beautiful young woman.
She looked so tiny. I saw her father and mother on their visit to Canada in 1939. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

"CANADA" is a country that belongs to the "Commonwealth." I was born in Montreal, QC.,
Canada. My parents were born in England.
-Lorraine
post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

I will be 82 yrs in July. I don't find the IPad heavy either.
We worked for a living, well I did and I know Her Majesty is a very active woman with dogs and horses, and still works as Queen of England and the Commonwealth.

I'm sure she worries about her family like any other mother, grandmother or great grandmother would.

She also has the Commonwealth to deal with. It isn't an easy job to be Queen.

I saw her just after she became Queen with Prince Philip. I was about 20 ft. away from her as she rode by in an open convertible, in Montreal. She was such a beautiful young woman.
She looked so tiny. I saw her father and mother on their visit to Canada in 1939. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

"CANADA" is a country that belongs to the "Commonwealth." I was born in Montreal, QC.,
Canada. My parents were born in England.
-Lorraine

Welcome to the boards!

You have three more years after which, according to the detractors, you might find the iPad a tad heavy. (Somehow, I don't think you will). :-)
post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Humor a Yank a moment, will you?

When the non-American world buys an Apple iPad, Apple pays US taxes and therefore supports the US.

Actually I believe if you dig deeper into your research you will find that Apple only pays US taxes on those things sold on US soil. Products sold outside the US are taxed in accordance to the laws for the particular place.

So in fact, assuming the Queen is not VAT exempt, the taxes on her ipad will go to the UK for things such as your 'free' health care. AND Apple, as a non UK company, may have had to pay an import fee/tax just for the privilege of selling their products in the country.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im not aware of other UK queens. Could you post a link to a detailed list?

That sentence confused me as well but it reads, "...Queen Elizabeth II isn't only the queen of the UK..." - she's not only the Queen of the UK. I also read it as she's not the only Queen.
post #63 of 84
[deleted. Somehow got double-posted]
post #64 of 84
I know it's a typo below but to think of George the Fifth as George the Vee-One at the beginning of WWII gave me the giggles. Good old G VI R and his daughter E II R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

PS: For bonus points and without using the evil Google, what is the Royals' last name? Mountbatten? Windsor? Wales? Plantagenet?
post #65 of 84
Amazon needs to make iPad and iPhone formatted webpages for the cloud player. Ideally there'd be a proper native app just like Android but there is no way Apple will allow that unless they get their 30% on song purchases.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I know it's a typo below but to think of George the Fifth as George the Vee-One at the beginning of WWII gave me the giggles. Good old G VI R and his daughter E II R.



PS: For bonus points and without using the evil Google, what is the Royals' last name? Mountbatten? Windsor? Wales? Plantagenet?

Legally, it's Windsor as the family name was changed during the First World War from Saxe-Coburg which they considered to be too German sounding (it came from Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg. Even before then it was German because it stemmed from the surname of George 1, the Elector of Hanover (also known as Mad George) who's government decided to give up on a certain colony but I can't remember the surname (and I didn't look anything up on Google).

However, the current Queen married Prince Philip of Greece, part of the Battenberg dynasty that held many Heads of State all over Europe, including the King of Greece. However, when the Battenbergs came to the UK, they changed their name to Mountbatten to make their name less German too thus proving that you can have your cake and eat it too.

To confuse things even more, when Prince William joined the Army, he was known as 'William Wales' and not Windsor. This of course was a reference to the fact that he is the son of the Prince of Wales. Since he got married of course he is now known as the Duke of Cambridge, but I get lost in the reason why that ranks higher than his other title of Prince.

When the Queen signs anything, she never uses her surname AFAIK but instead signs "Elizabeth R", the R being short for 'Regina' or Queen in Latin.

As for Queen Elizabeth's father, George VI (the sixth, not the fifth) he would have been George R (with R being short for Rex, Latin for King.

HTH!
post #67 of 84
Once she finds out it won't play Flash she'll throw it in the trash.
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by res1233 View Post

What they don't mention was that the iPod given to her was filled with the president's speeches. What else would she want to listen to, right?

The reason they don't mention it is because IT'S TOTALLY UNTRUE, despite people claiming it all the time.

The gift iPod contained photos and videos of the Queen's 2007 visit to the US, plus 40 songs from Broadway musicals such as "South Pacific", "West Side Story" and "My Fair Lady". Look it up.
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.


"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person
holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of
the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind
whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters
of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but
gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,
ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any
Title of Nobility
.
"

The Constitution does not say that titles of nobility are null and void; it just says that neither the US nor any state shall grant one.
post #70 of 84
The concept of Royalty is repellent to me.

Seeing Meredith Vieira, as an American, buy into this rubbish is worse.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

L
However, the current Queen married Prince Philip of Greece, part of the Battenberg dynasty that held many Heads of State all over Europe, including the King of Greece. However, when the Battenbergs came to the UK, they changed their name to Mountbatten to make their name less German too thus proving that you can have your cake and eat it too.

HTH!

Obviously in this case it was a Battenburg cake...
post #72 of 84
Is it true that the queen persuaded Steve to add the royal wave as a gesture?
post #73 of 84
Yea! Down with the monarchy! VIVE LA REVOLUTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Titles of Nobility are null and void in the United States -- we fought a revolution for a reason.

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person
holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of
the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind
whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.

Section 10
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters
of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but
gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder,
ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any
Title of Nobility
.
"
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

The concept of Royalty is repellent to me...

It doth seed fury in me at times... But I don't want to hate just for hatin's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

That sentence confused me as well but it reads, "...Queen Elizabeth II isn't only the queen of the UK..." - she's not only the Queen of the UK. I also read it as she's not the only Queen.

She isn't just the Queen of the UK, she's also in charge of Australia. In Australia, Prime Minister < Governor General < Queen. Mostly symbolic nowadays. But there you go, if you've ever wondered why Australia is formally called "The Commonwealth of Australia" not "Republic of Australia".

She's also the Queen of New Zealand, and the Queen of Canada.
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It doth seed fury in me at times... But I don't want to hate just for hatin's sake.



She isn't just the Queen of the UK, she's also in charge of Australia. In Australia, Prime Minister < Governor General < Queen. Mostly symbolic nowadays. But there you go, if you've ever wondered why Australia is formally called "The Commonwealth of Australia" not "Republic of Australia".

She's also the Queen of New Zealand, and the Queen of Canada.

To all the US readers who are a little confused, the Queen is not analogous to your President - she has no political power at all - except one. She can force a new election, but this has never been done in the UK (England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) AFAIK, but it did happen a few years back in Australia.

All power is vested in the Prime Minister (Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair etc) who is elected. In the UK political power rests with the Lower House known as the House of Commons (your House of Representatives) and the Prime Minister is the leader of the Party with the largest number of seats - he's not elected by the people to be Prime Minister, but by members of his own political party.

The Upper House aka the House of Lords (like your Senate) contains all the Hereditary Lords, and those appointed to the House for services to that or this industry (but mostly because they have donated I expect to one or other political party, or given them publicity support. The House of Lords has very limited powers. It can amend legislation by adding a paragraph here or there, but if they do the House of Commons can still reject it.

Members of the House of Lords include Professors, Bishops, Dukes, and ex-Politicians, Judges and figures from industry. Many of them are very knowledgable about the subjects new laws are supposed to cover, and frequently help make the laws better because of their mostly non-political expertise and knowledge. Just yesterday there was a discussion about whether Government money should continue to support a charity involved in IVF work and research, and one of the speakers was a Professor who is a practicing Dr in the field itself (but not part of the Charity).

So, the Queen has to sign every law that is passed, but cannot create or abolish laws herself. She is loved because she is benign politically, and talks to all the people without any political aims in mind.
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

I will be 82 yrs in July. I don't find the IPad heavy either.
We worked for a living, well I did and I know Her Majesty is a very active woman with dogs and horses, and still works as Queen of England and the Commonwealth.

I'm sure she worries about her family like any other mother, grandmother or great grandmother would.

She also has the Commonwealth to deal with. It isn't an easy job to be Queen.

I saw her just after she became Queen with Prince Philip. I was about 20 ft. away from her as she rode by in an open convertible, in Montreal. She was such a beautiful young woman.
She looked so tiny. I saw her father and mother on their visit to Canada in 1939. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth. {before her death, known as Queen Mother}

"CANADA" is a country that belongs to the "Commonwealth." I was born in Montreal, QC.,
Canada. My parents were born in England.
-Lorraine

Welcome!

I watched a show (on A&E maybe?) years ago about the Queen, and they showed her Coronation at length, and what struck me was just how young she looked. I wonder what was going through her head.

And Canada is a beautiful country. I've only been to Ontario and Quebec, but I plan on a trip to the West next year.
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Legally, it's Windsor as the family name was changed during the First World War from Saxe-Coburg which they considered to be too German sounding (it came from Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg. Even before then it was German because it stemmed from the surname of George 1, the Elector of Hanover (also known as Mad George) who's government decided to give up on a certain colony but I can't remember the surname (and I didn't look anything up on Google).

However, the current Queen married Prince Philip of Greece, part of the Battenberg dynasty that held many Heads of State all over Europe, including the King of Greece. However, when the Battenbergs came to the UK, they changed their name to Mountbatten to make their name less German too thus proving that you can have your cake and eat it too.

To confuse things even more, when Prince William joined the Army, he was known as 'William Wales' and not Windsor. This of course was a reference to the fact that he is the son of the Prince of Wales. Since he got married of course he is now known as the Duke of Cambridge, but I get lost in the reason why that ranks higher than his other title of Prince.

When the Queen signs anything, she never uses her surname AFAIK but instead signs "Elizabeth R", the R being short for 'Regina' or Queen in Latin.

As for Queen Elizabeth's father, George VI (the sixth, not the fifth) he would have been George R (with R being short for Rex, Latin for King.

HTH!

Thanks for the very interesting background. Over the years I'd heard different last names but I'm going with what you've described.

On the red mailboxes over there you'll see the names of the monarch in power at the time the mailbox was installed, thus many many E II R (for Elizabeth the 2nd Regina*), some G VI R (for George the 6th Rex), and I even spotted one V R (For Victoria Regina - being the first means you don't have to use the roman numeral I).

*I have a big issue with the pronunciation of "regina." Here in the states we learned it as reh-GENE-uh whereas in the UK I kept hearing it pronounced so that it rhymed with vagina**, giving me uncontrollable giggles whenever someone would mention Elizabeth Regina.

**I can't describe how awful I think the neologism "ginormous" sounds, or imagery evoked by hearing it. But then that's just me.
post #78 of 84
The gig in Hyde Park was amazing!

What? What?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #79 of 84
I just don't think the affairs of a figurehead family are significant. For the most part, I don't care what gadgets celebrities have either.
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I just don't think the affairs of a figurehead family are significant. For the most part, I don't care what gadgets celebrities have either.

I put them in the same category as Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton and other American famous-for-being-famous celebrities.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon Cloud adds support for Apple's iOS; UK Queen orders an iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Cloud adds support for Apple's iOS; UK Queen orders an iPad