or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft confirms $8.5B acquisition of communications service Skype

Microsoft confirms $8.5B acquisition of communications service Skype - Page 3

post #81 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorf View Post

wow! everything microsoft touches they destroy ....

But it is as much a shame that Facetime is not free!!

Really, you can see the future and Skype is in ruins? Can you give me the lotto numbers for tomorrow?
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

LOL - they are paying 8.5 Billion for a service that already works on windoze. they could have just started / expanded a strategic alliance for FREE. Horrible company run by an absolute moron.

Yeah because Microsoft needs another lawsuit about pushing out competitors. Brilliant. Maybe they paid 8.5 Billion for the user base.
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Solipsism, this will be one of those rare times when I've got to ask you:

What the hell are you talking about? ???:

Ill try to use small words.

Yesterday: Skype wasnt bought by MS yet it wasnt deemed a killer of FaceTime on iDevices.
Today: Skype is bought by MS and you claim its now going to kill FaceTime on iDevices.

Yesterday: FaceTime was tied outside Apples ecosystem with the promise of it being made open.
Today: FaceTime is tied to Apples ecosystem but because MS bought Skyep you deem it impossible to be made open.

No matter you slice it FaceTime is still the same tool with the same limitations and same potential that it had yesterday.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #84 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

they'll do what they ALWAYS do...they'll maker it a buggy, useless POS for Mac users, if they even bring one out for us. They'll probably leave it as it is, and jut upgrade us out of the picture.

Too bad. Come on Facetime!

Cheers,
Cameron

You do realize that most of the apps MS has released for iOS are pretty darn good?
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No matter you slice it FaceTime is still the same tool with the same limitations and same potential that it had yesterday.

As does Skype except now Skype has a leading software company behind it with avenues into all sorts of new areas.
post #86 of 175
Quote:

I’ll try to use small words.

Yesterday: Skype wasn’t bought by MS yet it wasn’t deemed a killer of FaceTime on iDevices.
Today: Skype is bought by MS and you claim it’s now going to kill FaceTime on iDevices.

Yesterday: FaceTime was tied outside Apple’s ecosystem with the promise of it being made open.
Today: FaceTime is tied to Apple’s ecosystem but because MS bought Skyep you deem it impossible to be made open.

And what about your open-source question that I queried you on? Did you change the subject because you didn't have a good response to the one I posted?

I didn't reply to any question from you about about the why's and what-nots of the Skype purchase. You implied that FaceTime should be considered open-source. I answered why it is not.

But just to make you happy, suppose I have a gun for sale. Big deal, right? If I sell it to an elderly grandmother in Hoboken, no matter to you. But if I sell it to your lifelong enemy who wished in his heart of hearts that you no longer existed, that might be just a tad more concerning to you.

But I'm sure you'd argue no, so it's of little real consequence. Others will understand the why the buyer makes a difference in the result.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #87 of 175
really after seeing the pros and cons of this purchase i thought who does it really benefit
with all the above limitations it benefits not the consumer as much as
ballmer...he is desperately trying to sell his own worth and relevance after MS stock has done nothing but stagnate for the last 10+ years. he is trying to rescue his mess

now he can say "see what i have done, adding value for the future of mobile" ," you need me to make this huge investment matter, it will take time.....my time"

yeah right--
at the stockholders expense!!!
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #88 of 175
Quote:

You implied that FaceTime should be considered open-source.

No, I didn’t.

Here is my query: ...tell me why FaceTime can’t finally be shown as open source?

Quote:
I answered why it is not

No you didn’t.

You claim that because FaceTime isn’t open source yet that it’ll be killed by Skype. I queried why it can’t be made open source today or tomorrow and for some reason must now remain closed for ever and ever and ever, and why this is any different from yesterday? You didn’t even begin to answer that.

I also asked what has changed since MS’ acquisition to kill FaceTime on iDevices. You also didn’t answer that question.
post #89 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

As does Skype except now Skype has a leading software company behind it with potential avenues into all sorts of potential new areas.

There... fixed that for you...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #90 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There... fixed that for you...

Yes, potential is the word of the day. If MS is smart they will leave Skype as is and just add new features. No need to alienate the core users.
post #91 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Yes, potential is the word of the day. If MS is smart they will leave Skype as is and just add new features. No need to alienate the core users.

The only real benefit is Windows-based intercession without alienating other Ventura of revenue, but they couldn't have made this in-house for less than $8.5 billion dollars. I thought eBay paid too much for it abd this just seems worse. I'm inclined to think Ballmer is was given a Monty Brewter deal to spend all of MS' money within a set time frame¡
post #92 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I'm still trying to figure this deal out. eBay unloads Skype for a mere $2.75b after paying $2.5b for it and not two years later, Microsoft pays $8.5b for it? Seriously? I mean, the AI article speaks of their improved business model but is it enough to more than triple their valuation? We all know that Microsoft is good for the cash, but I can't help think that they ended up in a bidding war with Facebook and Google and wound up overpaying.

It's also an interesting play for them in terms of cell-phone carriers. They never liked Skype anyway and now Microsoft, the maker of a major phone platform owns them. Maybe Microsoft considers having Skype will be a good negotiation tactic but regardless, things get bumpy from here.

Good points.

Microsoft has it's fingers in a LOT of different pies right now -- it sure does seem like they did this as a defensive move. Many people don't know that they ALSO have a video and IM chatting application -- or at least forgot. It was $8 a month and pretty crappy, though it had a really cool "surround video" device that could track speakers. The video conference was accessed by a pop-up on a menu-bar (so once again, they shot and killed any interface designers before coding began).

>> Microsoft is paying for concerts to launch their apps -- and they can afford a few million to do it. But the "hip and cool" label they want isn't paying dividends. And Skype -- while it is almost the Backbone of the fledgling videoconferencing market -- is another LOSS LEADER.

Microsoft cannot keep doing business as a defensive move. They have to make profits on things at some point, and they cannot seem to DESIGN anything that anyone wants -- they merely acquire other people's designs and integrate them. The LAST cool thing they acquired is the Kinect.

Will Microsoft be tempted to embed Skype into Office, or "make it better" when it plays with their servers, applications and OS? When they "Embrace and Extend" -- will it make Skype suck?

Skype will dominate for now, while it is mostly free. But then the NEXT wave of videoconferencing will probably be from FaceBook -- which it is basically THEIRS TO LOSE. They don't even have a videoconferencing application out. But whichever the choose -- will be the winner (as long as it doesn't suck).

>> So Microsoft bought a decent Videoconferencing platform, so that Google (and others) couldn't. It won't make them money, because they will eventually be 2nd fiddle to whatever FaceBook does -- and Google will be trying their best to be #2 in Social Media -- and will ALSO be forcing Microsoft into "Free" videoconferencing.

While BING all but bleeds them dry.

>> Maybe Microsoft had to buy Skype to keep Google from getting it - but it's a painful wound on their profits, and another sign that they cannot DEVELOP new markets by themselves.
post #93 of 175
I think it was a great move by MSFT but Apple needs to move more quickly and aggressively. They are suffering from being too big. FaceTime really isn't sh*T right now and if Apple doesn't move quickly decisively and aggressively it will always be a niche product. How about opening FaceTime up for starters? These companies need to just open the stuff up they plan to rather than talking about it. I don't want to hear about open until they are announcing that they've already done it.
post #94 of 175
When I heard this I was sad. I've promised myself that I wouldn't purchase anything from Microsoft ever again. I'm a regular Skype user and now I'll be sending money to Microsoft for my long distance communication with others.

Does this mean that the automated voice used for test calls will become an American voice?

When I got my Mac I was eager to use iChat. I've had it for over three years and haven't used it once. Nobody I regularly communicate with uses a Mac. Since I have Skype I just use it. There was no difficult set-up at all. I pay $2.95 per month for long distance service with Skype. It doesn't work well calling land lines all the time. It's hit and miss. Skype to Skype always sounds good.

I too have had difficulty using Skype to call in to conferences. Skype doesn't do touch tones very well for some reason.

Remember Vonage? They charged almost as much as regular phone companies to give the same service as Skype. Don't get a magicjack. I couldn't get mine to work more than a few times. overall I probably spent $2/minute for all the successful calls I made with it.

I wish Facetime could be a great competitor to all the other long distance services but it won't be. If Apple can't allow it to work on Tiger and Leopard 10.5.8, what makes you think they will ever make it work on Microsoft machines?
post #95 of 175
Absolutely not.

People just aren't thinking through this. Let's examine a simple thought process:

I have an iPhone4. I want to talk to my friend abroad.

Does my friend have an iPhone4, 5, 6, iMac, MacBook etc?

[ if yes, use FaceTime,

if no, use Skype }

It doesn't matter how well Skype does or how cancerous Microsoft can make it; two iPhone4 users will never opt to load up an app to talk when they can just call each other using FaceTime without having to arrange a time, worry about updates etc. etc. You can call your friend just like making a phone call.

Even if MS incorporates this functionality into WP7, it still won't make two iPhone4 users opt to use Skype over FaceTime. At worst, Skype will be a must-have app on the iPhone, but isn't it already? And does that impact in any negative way on us iPhone users?

Whatever happens, MS has such a terrible reputation from recent debacles that nobody is thinking Skype will be improved by this. Pat on the back for whoever brokered this deal for the seller, stupid sum of money!
post #96 of 175
Quote:

No, I didnt.

Here is my query: ...tell me why FaceTime cant finally be shown as open source?

No you didnt.

You claim that because FaceTime isnt open source yet that itll be killed by Skype. I queried why it cant be made open source today or tomorrow and for some reason must now remain closed for ever and ever and ever, and why this is any different from yesterday? You didnt even begin to answer that.

I also asked what has changed since MS acquisition to kill FaceTime on iDevices. You also didnt answer that question.

Hmmm. . . I don't think your original question was quite as clear as you apparently think it was. I didn't (and don't) read it the way you claim to have intended. So we're simply arguing semantics I guess. Nothing more to discuss on that subject then.

I did try to explain why the purchaser makes a difference. That might not have been as clear as I intended either since you didn't get it.

I understood Apple's original plan was expecting FaceTime to become the industry standard. Apple would have had much more influence with FaceTime over an independent Skype who had an interesting product but limited sesources to continue development quickly and effectively. Now with MS in the mix, Skype rolled into the OS itself in all likelihood and pre-installed on every Win7 (and Win8\) mobile device, the chances of Facetime calling the shots and leading the way went from 50/50 to slim IMHO.

There's your difference. Apple users will still have FaceTime to play with amongst themselves. Unless they have a Windows version ready to roll, I don't see any chance of it being considered a serious application going forward, even by many Apple fans.
post #97 of 175
I have been using Skype on iPhone for quite a while and I can tell you it is really poor quality. It drops calls in two minutes or less every time even when I am right next to the WiFi. When someone calls you it always goes to voice mail and never rings on the phone. You cannot copy and paste phone numbers into the dialer and it sucks the battery like no tomorrow. So it is not really a viable app on iOS anyway. Pity because if it worked right I would use it all the time. I have a paid phone number and everything but truly disappointed in the performance on iOS but it works reasonably well on OS X.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #98 of 175
Quote:

Hmmm. . . I don't think your original question was quite as clear as you apparently think it was. I didn't (and don't) read it the way you claim to have intended. So we're simply arguing semantics I guess. Nothing more to discuss on that subject then.

I did try to explain why the purchaser makes a difference. That might not have been as clear as I intended either since you didn't get it.

I understood Apple's original plan was expecting FaceTime to become the industry standard. Apple would have had much more influence with FaceTime over an independent Skype who had an interesting product but limited sesources to continue development quickly and effectively. Now with MS in the mix, Skype rolled into the OS itself in all likelihood and pre-installed on every Win7 (and Win8\) mobile device, the chances of Facetime calling the shots and leading the way went from 50/50 to slim IMHO.

There's your difference. Apple users will still have FaceTime to play with amongst themselves. Unless they have a Windows version ready to roll, I don't see any chance of it being considered a serious application going forward, even by many Apple fans.

Well, I understand what your saying... Microsoft has the bucks and marketing power to really push Skype to be defacto and even copy what Apple does (even more than today )than if they were not puchased.
And its pretty clear... so far... Apple has NOT put facetime into open standards(as stated they would do) or other platforms etc... so far. Could they? sure, and they could also fund a moon shot, but IMO doubt that they will. As for Sol... when it comes to 'value' judgement's or future predictions best just let it go (to each his own right). But for tech stuff (how it works etc), he's usually right on.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #99 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

As for Sol... when it comes to 'value' judgement's or future predictions best just let it go (to each his own right). But for tech stuff (how it works etc), he's usually right on.

Soli's one of my favorite guys here. I don't get too many chances to call him out, so gotta jump on 'em when I can.

It's all good Solipsism.
post #100 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It could also be the reverse.

Facebook was looking for a video component, if MS manages to force them onto Skype then FaceTime is in trouble. If Facebook on the other hand started using FaceTime, Skype would quickly become a seniors-only Windows-only affair.

Also, Apple hasn't released anything for non-Apple platforms, but they indicated they were going to. If there is a FaceTime for Windows then the battle is truly on and I like FaceTime's chances.

One can only dream. Facetime was DOA. Way to many restrictions out of the gate.
post #101 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Microsoft owns 5% of Facebook.

Not sure about that. I think it's 1.6%.
post #102 of 175
Quote:

Yesterday: Skype wasnt bought by MS yet it wasnt deemed a killer of FaceTime on iDevices.
Today: Skype is bought by MS and you claim its now going to kill FaceTime on iDevices.

Yesterday: FaceTime was tied outside Apples ecosystem with the promise of it being made open.
Today: FaceTime is tied to Apples ecosystem but because MS bought Skyep you deem it impossible to be made open.

Good one.
post #103 of 175
Skype lost $7m on $860m in revenues. The talk of Skype being a money-losing company, while technically true, seems highly exaggerated. Mix in some of Microsoft's excess infrastructure and Bing's existing ad engine, and even the biggest moron at Microsoft could make it "profitable" within a year.

This deal is about selling ads, not adding "features" to Windows. They bought 107 million users per month, along with a fairly useful service that should help keep those users sticking around. Integrate Skype as a standard feature in Windows computers and Nokia phones, and you should be able to add even more users. It may not make Skype the industry standard, but it should make it as easy and accessible as Facetime on an Apple product -- except with a real, revenue-producing user base and true cross-platform compatibility.

Microsoft wants "eyes" from any platform possible, so it seems ridiculous to suggest that they will kill cross-platform compatibility. They may even have the resources to push out Skype for iPad, which one would think should have been out on launch day.

Apple makes money selling hardware. Unless they sell a revolutionary $150 aluminum USB ultra-HD+ magical proprietary camera, why would Apple open Facetime to other devices and platforms? They've never made iTunes open to other audio/video devices, and iTunes actually has separate revenue potential from iTunes store sales.
post #104 of 175
Quote:

Stop.

You're beating a dead horse at this point.
post #105 of 175
Quote:

I'm still trying to figure this deal out. eBay unloads Skype for a mere $2.75b after paying $2.5b for it and not two years later, Microsoft pays $8.5b for it? Seriously? I mean, the AI article speaks of their improved business model but is it enough to more than triple their valuation? We all know that Microsoft is good for the cash, but I can't help think that they ended up in a bidding war with Facebook and Google and wound up overpaying.

It's also an interesting play for them in terms of cell-phone carriers. They never liked Skype anyway and now Microsoft, the maker of a major phone platform owns them. Maybe Microsoft considers having Skype will be a good negotiation tactic but regardless, things get bumpy from here.

Actually, it's much worse (or better, if you were Silverlake). I think eBay dumped Skype for either $1.2B or $1.4B, way less than they paid for it. Took a huge write-off too.
post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

This deal is about selling ads, not adding "features" to Windows...

Good observation. That's Facebook's plan too (after all, they're not making much from their users either).

However, there's only so many fixed ad dollars to go around, and whatever these guys grab will come from Google, since the ad pot is not growing much larger (or growing very slowly, if at all).

So, on balance, this is good news for (non-ad-dependent) Apple.
post #107 of 175
Quote:

"You are coming to a sad realization: cancel or allow?"

"...allow."

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #108 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

How long before we see that "blue screen of death" on our Skype App?

that was added before the MS deal, skype 5 it was called.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #109 of 175
Editors, and I use the term loosely, why is Facetime called a standard when no one but apple uses it? it is no more a standard than Memory Stick or a-trac, or Apple Lossless codecs...it works on one vendors products, and only their products, it is their platform, not a standard. Skype is also not a standard, only Skype clients work with it IIRC.

HTTP, tcp/ip, MP3, MP4 are examples of standards.
post #110 of 175
Steve Ballmer is going to get put out as CEO. The investors hated this deal for a number of reasons.

Here
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop.

You're beating a dead horse at this point.

Yeah, beaten and well on it's way to integration with my next jello treat.
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Editors, and I use the term loosely, why is Facetime called a standard when no one but apple uses it? it is no more a standard than Memory Stick or a-trac, or Apple Lossless codecs...it works on one vendors products, and only their products, it is their platform, not a standard. Skype is also not a standard, only Skype clients work with it IIRC.

HTTP, tcp/ip, MP3, MP4 are examples of standards.

SJ said Apple was going to work to make it open, and work with organizations that create standards.

Facetime is is less than a year old at this point (compared to the 7 or 8 years that Skype has been around), so perhaps you need to be a little patient.
post #113 of 175
Quote:

SJ said Apple was going to work to make it open, and work with organizations that create standards.

Facetime is is less than a year old at this point (compared to the 7 or 8 years that Skype has been around), so perhaps you need to be a little patient.

Why not make it open first and then announce that it is open?
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It could also be the reverse.

Facebook was looking for a video component, if MS manages to force them onto Skype then FaceTime is in trouble. If Facebook on the other hand started using FaceTime, Skype would quickly become a seniors-only Windows-only affair.

Also, Apple hasn't released anything for non-Apple platforms, but they indicated they were going to. If there is a FaceTime for Windows then the battle is truly on and I like FaceTime's chances.

I so want Apple to release FaceTime for Windows.

My fiancee lives over 200KMs away and every night we are on Skype. The problem is that Skype is just such a poor service with communication problems regularly.

At one stage we were getting cut off every five minutes and ended up using GTalk which was not much better.

Things got a bit better when I hooked my Airport Extreme to dad's but it still drops connection inexplicably. And that's just with voice, it's immensely worse with video.
post #115 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Why not make it open first and then announce that it is open?

In case you did not know, Facetime is based on open standards. I don't know how else to tell you that. See, e.g.(with the usual WP caveats), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime

The conversation I was having was on 'standards,' not whether it is open, it case you missed it.
post #116 of 175
Quote:

In case you did not know, Facetime is based on open standards. I don't know how else to tell you that. See, e.g.(with the usual WP caveats), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime

The conversation I was having was on 'standards,' not whether it is open, it case you missed it.

Did you guys read the Wired article yet? They don't seem to think too much of Skype's benefit to MS.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/...-buys-skype-2/

Reading the following makes me think MS will be in a Senate hearing soon too, regarding Skype!

http://www.blackhat.com/presentation...-biondi-up.pdf
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #117 of 175
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it's much worse (or better, if you were Silverlake). I think eBay dumped Skype for either $1.2B or $1.4B, way less than they paid for it. Took a huge write-off too.

Sevenfeet was right: eBay did sell Skype for $2.75B (not $1.2B or $1.4B as I had suggested).
post #118 of 175
Predictions:

1.OSX and iOS versions of Skype don´t get updated for 3 years.

2. Apple goofs up again (aka. iWorks) and doesn´t make a Windows version of Facetime.

3. A third party app comes and grabs the market.

post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Reading the following makes me think MS will be in a Senate hearing soon too, regarding Skype!

http://www.blackhat.com/presentation...-biondi-up.pdf

After reading that document it looks like Skype should fit in nicely with Windows. It has been speculated that the original programmers of the Windows source code, who have since left the company, did so without actually explaining or documenting large parts of the low level functions and now no one at Microsoft actually understands exactly how it works. Looks like Skype may have the same problem, especially if key people leave during the transition. They certainly went to great lengths to obfuscate the source code.

post #120 of 175
Quote:

I actually read what you wrote.

Again the question is, why not make it open before getting everyone's hopes up? If you don't promise anything than no one will expect it. Apple needs to do a better job with expectations as it relates to openness and standards. Making something open goes a long way in making it a standard.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft confirms $8.5B acquisition of communications service Skype