or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › very bright STAR IN THE SKY rising out of the south east

very bright STAR IN THE SKY rising out of the south east

post #1 of 17
hey,

does anyone else see this really bright star in the sky rising out of the south east ?

i'm in the new york area.

i don't know if it's venus or jupiter or a star or what but it is huge and briliant compared to anything else near it.

i gotta go look it up or something.
post #2 of 17
aparently it's Venus !

Venus dominates the morning sky and has even gotten a bit higher than last month. This makes it easier to observe. Look for Venus perhaps 20 degrees high in the Southeast sky an hour before sunrise.

Viewer's Guide:
<a href="http://www.space.com/spacewatch/venus_morning_021122.html" target="_blank">http://www.space.com/spacewatch/venus_morning_021122.html</a>

wow, it's really really bright.

special thanks to
<a href="http://www.refdesk.com/" target="_blank">http://www.refdesk.com/</a>
[the greatest free reference desk i know of]
for finally pointing me to
<a href="http://www.space.com/" target="_blank">http://www.space.com/</a>
post #3 of 17
btw,
your fist on an outstretched arm measured against the sky equals about 10degrees.

so that makes it approximately 2 fists high off the horizon - an hour before dawn in the souteastern sky.

happy star gazing.
post #4 of 17
Pictures?? Cant see in Australia
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #5 of 17
have a look in this <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=002418" target="_blank">thread</a>, please.
post #6 of 17
sorry i don't have any pictures.

now it's daytime and supposed to snow tonight .

the thing is - i don't know that i would be able to capture it with video [which is what i have].

the sky in new york has so much light hitting it that it blocks out most stars anyway. it's dark but it has this ...well...sort of pink haze over it a lot of the time. so for a star to punch through all that it has to be pretty bright anyway but this thing is clearly visible and it's like pulsating or something.

if i'm up at that time tomorrow morning [17 hours from now] i will break out the camera and try and capture something for you.

i'm not making any promises. i can't control the weather. and i may be in altered holiday schedule.

we'll see.

if anyone else has got pics or cares to search the net for news photos, jump right in.
post #7 of 17
Defiant ,

that story seems to directly contradict the space.com information!?!

the space.com information place the celestial object at 20degrees off the horizon in the south east sky ----------which is exactly where i found it !?!

so which is it? Venus or Saturn ????
post #8 of 17
You might want to check out mars also.
By next august we will be the closest to mars since, well, a bloody long time, and will be brighter than the north star!
post #9 of 17
bluesigns: Saturn ?
post #10 of 17
"Saturn?"

yeah, isn't that what your article says ?

that was why i was asking if anyone had any info.

i did a quick search for what the STAR in the SKY is and my search described VENUS as being in the sky at that time of this month ........

wait...i'm talking to a friend on the phone right now that says it's Saturn. [no supporting eveidence but they say that it's definitely Saturn.]
post #11 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by trevorM:
<strong>Pictures?? Cant see in Australia </strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure you can see Venus from Australia right now. Typically any planet that can be see in one part of the world (not counting arctic and antarctic extremes) can be seen in any other part of the world during roughly the same span of days.

If you use my <a href="http://www.skyviewcafe.com" target="_blank">skyviewcafe.com</a> web site (the link is also in my sig line), throw in your local latitude, longitude, and time zone (there's a facility to look up that info) you can see where to look and when. Turn on the feature that labels the planets by name for extra help spotting Venus.

For instance, in Syndey Venus rose at 3:05am local time this Christmas morning, roughly ESE. It will rise tomorrow at 3:03. Mars will be nearby above Venus, but not nearly so bright by comparison. You'll have a good hour and more for Venus to rise higher in the sky where it will be easier to see, before twilight interferes with the view.

If you know just where to look, Venus can actually be seen in broad daylight when it's far enough away from the Sun and bright at the same time -- conditions will be especially good on and around January 11th (10th in the US), when Venus is at maximum elongation.

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #12 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by bluesigns:
<strong>wait...i'm talking to a friend on the phone right now that says it's Saturn. [no supporting eveidence but they say that it's definitely Saturn.]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Saturn is particularly bright right now as Saturn goes, but at -0.4 magnitude, it's a pale candle next to Venus' -4.6 magnitude. (Yes, it's a weird scale -- the more negative, the brighter.)

Venus is bright enough right now that people wonder if they're looking at landing lights on an airplane. Saturn never gets anywhere near that bright.
post #13 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by shetline:
<strong>

Saturn is particularly bright right now as Saturn goes, but at -0.4 magnitude, it's a pale candle next to Venus' -4.6 magnitude. (Yes, it's a weird scale -- the more negative, the brighter.)

Venus is bright enough right now that people wonder if they're looking at landing lights on an airplane. Saturn never gets anywhere near that bright.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shetline Greetings! I was just about to give a link to your Applet this morning before I left the house but I just lost the time to do so. It is great to see you I hope you have a great season!

Be Blessed!

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #14 of 17
hey if you download Google Star map on your I Phone or Droid you can look at all the stars in the sky and point you phone in any direction to see what is in the sky where you are pointing it. It also labels the stars and constellations for you..... Very cool
post #15 of 17
SkySafari Lite for iPhone and iPad. Really just nice for city and suburban sky viewing. I've learnt a lot of the stars I can see, mainly the brighter ones because I'm in a city.

The "augmented reality" feature is great, you just literally point your screen towards the part of the sky you want to examine and you can visually match up what you are looking at.

Of course it would be cool if one day it was true augmented reality and there would be a kind of HUD overlay.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Originally posted by trevorM:
<strong>Pictures?? Cant see in Australia </strong>

Sure you can see Venus from Australia right now. Typically any planet that can be see in one part of the world (not counting arctic and antarctic extremes) can be seen in any other part of the world during roughly the same span of days.

If you use my <a href="http://www.skyviewcafe.com" target="_blank">skyviewcafe.com</a> web site (the link is also in my sig line), throw in your local latitude, longitude, and time zone (there's a facility to look up that info) you can see where to look and when. Turn on the feature that labels the planets by name for extra help spotting Venus.

For instance, in Syndey Venus rose at 3:05am local time this Christmas morning, roughly ESE. It will rise tomorrow at 3:03. Mars will be nearby above Venus, but not nearly so bright by comparison. You'll have a good hour and more for Venus to rise higher in the sky where it will be easier to see, before twilight interferes with the view.

If you know just where to look, Venus can actually be seen in broad daylight when it's far enough away from the Sun and bright at the same time -- conditions will be especially good on and around January 11th (10th in the US), when Venus is at maximum elongation.

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>

Using SkySafari Lite on my iPad as I am typing this, it automatically detects my location. Using the time forwarding feature it seems Venus and Saturn are visible early in the morning around 3 or 4am onwards which is why I don't usually see it.

Wow

The iPhone, iPad and the Internet have completely revolutionised casual astronomy.

Will check out skyviewcafe.com
post #17 of 17

I live in lyons,il i see the bright star too at night it's my direction out west,pretty it looks like a satellite from space but it's strange maybe the president of the u s knows come on mr. president does the kids see it too???? how about u Sasha?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › very bright STAR IN THE SKY rising out of the south east