or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Libertarianism
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Libertarianism - Page 19

post #721 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do I not have a country now?

You do: Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And have you lost your right to vote, hold office, speak, publish and protest?

Not at all. Why do you ask? What is your point?
Last I checked my passport says USA. Part of the liberty I have as a US citizen is the liberty to live and work and raise a family outside of the USA without giving up my birthright as an American citizen. Hooray! Would you take away that right?

You have the right to vote, hold office, speak publicly and publish. That's not enough for you, so you claim to be powerless, instead of admitting that you do indeed have power, just not as much as you would like. Boo hoo.
post #722 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Last I checked my passport says USA. Part of the liberty I have as a US citizen is the liberty to live and work and raise a family outside of the USA without giving up my birthright as an American citizen. Hooray! Would you take away that right?

 

Yes, but you don't actually live here and regularly support laws and policies that would not actually apply to you in your present circumstances. In other words, you're fine making up the rules for a game that others are playing. That you don't recognize this is astonishing.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...so you claim to be powerless...

 

Where? When?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #723 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Last I checked my passport says USA. Part of the liberty I have as a US citizen is the liberty to live and work and raise a family outside of the USA without giving up my birthright as an American citizen. Hooray! Would you take away that right?

Yes, but you don't actually live here and regularly support laws and policies that would not actually apply to you in your present circumstances. In other words, you're fine making up the rules for a game that others are playing. That you don't recognize this is astonishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...so you claim to be powerless...

Where? When?
Yes, and I regularly support policies that don't benefit me directly! I use the power I have in the system for the benefit of our society. The society under which my fourteen year-old daughter will be receiving her last three years of high school education, presumably college and perhaps future career should she choose.

Oh, but I don't live there, so I shouldn't have a say?
post #724 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Oh, but I don't live there, so I shouldn't have a say?

 

I don't think so, no.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #725 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Oh, but I don't
live
there, so I shouldn't have a say?

I don't think so, no.
Wow.
post #726 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow.

 

It does surprise me at all that it surprises you that someone would hold the opinion that people should not have power over how other people live their lives. I know that you liberals kinda live by the whole idea that you should have at least some control over how other people live their lives. It's in your DNA.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #727 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow.

It does surprise me at all that it surprises you that someone would hold the opinion that people should not have power over how other people live their lives. I know that you liberals kinda live by the whole idea that you should have at least some control over how other people live their lives. It's in your DNA.
These policies affect me directly and indirectly. It affects my life.
post #728 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

These policies affect me directly and indirectly. It affects my life.

 

I suppose you may* be right. This is one the problem with the hugeness, the power and the long arms of the US.

 

 

*Of course you'll never tell us how it actually affects you so we could have reasonable debate about the truth of that claim and how much it warrants you having a say in how other people live their lives.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #729 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

*Of course you'll never tell us how it actually affects you...
Your belligerence should be legend. Just two posts up I mentioned my daughter. And there are other ways.
post #730 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your belligerence should be legend.

 

Says the cat calling the kettle black.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just two posts up I mentioned my daughter.

 

Yes you did. But you fail to indicate how this is affected by or justifies the policies and rules you wish to foist upon others.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And there are other ways.

 

Do tell!

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #731 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your belligerence should be legend.

Says the cat calling the kettle black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just two posts up I mentioned my daughter.

Yes you did. But you fail to indicate how this is affected by or justifies the policies and rules you wish to foist upon others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And there are other ways.

Do tell!
Tell me one policy you think doesn't affect me or my family. Just one. I challenge you. I bet you whatever you like that I can tell you how every policy I take a position on in fact does.
post #732 of 735
Thread Starter 

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #733 of 735

Yay, another hit and run form Jazz.  The patsy in the skeleton costume was such a pushover and just let all sorts of nonsense fly past him.  What a joke.  

 

Wolfman:  Blah blah blah <libertarian fundy propaganda.>

Skeleton:  But what about <valid point>?

Wolfman:  Ah, but your <valid point> isn't so valid because of <bullshit reason>

Skeleton:  Oh, ok.  I'll accept your <bullshit reason> and stop thinking critically.

 

Yeah, dumb video with no poster commentary.  Yay Spamguru.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #734 of 735

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #735 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yay, another hit and run form Jazz.  The patsy in the skeleton costume was such a pushover and just let all sorts of nonsense fly past him.  What a joke.  

 

Wolfman:  Blah blah blah <libertarian fundy propaganda.>

Skeleton:  But what about <valid point>?

Wolfman:  Ah, but your <valid point> isn't so valid because of <bullshit reason>

Skeleton:  Oh, ok.  I'll accept your <bullshit reason> and stop thinking critically.

 

Yeah, dumb video with no poster commentary.  Yay Spamguru.

 

I agree. What he really needs is more sarcastic images and music videos.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Libertarianism