or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)

post #1 of 376
Thread Starter 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ron_paul2012

Quote:
Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Friday that he will run for the GOP nomination for president in 2012, the third attempt for the man known on Capitol Hill as "Dr. No" for his enthusiasm for bashing runaway spending and government overreach.

"Time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I've been saying for 30 years. So, I think the time is right," said the 75-year-old Paul, who first ran for president as a Libertarian in 1988.

Paul made his announcement in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America" from New Hampshire, where he held a rally later Friday.

Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-ron-paul/ronpaul2012/

The fans are revved, what do those of you on this site think?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #2 of 376
He doesn't accept the science of evolution. That automatically disqualifies him. He may have some good ideas (many of which I disagree with, but they are well thought at nonetheless), however, we need to stop electing people who flat out deny scientific reality.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #3 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ron_paul2012



Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-ron-paul/ronpaul2012/

The fans are revved, what do those of you on this site think?

Ron Paul is a lot of bullshit like his son Rand. He is against big government intervention but still takes pork from them as does the son.
post #4 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Ron Paul is a lot of bullshit like his son Rand. He is against big government intervention but still takes pork from them as does the son.

Do you have some links to that? It does not jive with what I have read. Not suprising if true. The yahoo article I have linked to says you are incorrect though.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #5 of 376
Noah, he does sponsor earmarks and then vote no on the bill (that he knows will pass anyway) to preserve his "I vote no spending" voting record.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #6 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

He doesn't accept the science of evolution. That automatically disqualifies him. He may have some good ideas (many of which I disagree with, but they are well thought at nonetheless), however, we need to stop electing people who flat out deny scientific reality.

Does Obama accept the science of evolution?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #7 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Does Obama accept the science of evolution?

http://christophersisk.com/2008/04/0...rts-evolution/
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #8 of 376

Interesting.

It's apparent from that quote that Obama takes an authoritarian approach to education. Ron Paul believes we should have the freedom to educate our children as we choose.

Even if Ron Paul doesn't believe we evolved from a pool of primordial goo, nobody should feel threatened by that, as he has made it clear he will not use the government to force his beliefs on others.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #9 of 376
It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #10 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=170

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #11 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

BS Strawman for this argument. Along with a false and inflammatory premise.

Child abuse my ass.

Stand down sir.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #12 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

BS Strawman for this argument. Along with a false and inflammatory premise.

Child abuse my ass.

Stand down sir.

It is child abuse to deliberately teach a child that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It is child abuse to deliberately teach a child that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity.

Yeah...no one's doing that...except in your imagination.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #14 of 376

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #15 of 376
We'll set aside your dubious opinion about child abuse for now, but...

Quote:

Not sure how this link supports your claim that someone is teaching children:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR

that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity

This appears to be only your opinion fueled by misunderstandings and conjecture on your part. What's even more interesting is the ironic use of fallacy in your statements.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #16 of 376
Quote:

I watched that movie a couple of years ago. Some scary and manipulative folk at work for sure. Jesus, if here, would have a few harsh words to say to that crew.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #17 of 376
BR confuses science with evolution.

Two different things.

It is child abuse for "know it all teachers" to mock families who may believe in God.

BR reminds me of Christopher Hitchens. Does not believe in God and hates him. Bitter, self-idolizing (likes to hear himself talk), cry baby who will never be content.

A shame really.

I would vote for Paul as I can't tell you for the love of God what Bush or Obama has done for us other than bankrupt us.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #18 of 376
Still at it with the evolution isn't science nonsense Fellows? Really?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #19 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Still at it with the evolution isn't science nonsense Fellows? Really?

BR I love you as you know but I don't have enough faith to believe in the evolution fairy.

Peace.
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #20 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

BR I love you as you know but I don't have enough faith to believe in the evolution fairy.

Peace.

I know you mean well, but it's child abuse to teach that kind of anti-science nonsense to impressionable young minds.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #21 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I know you mean well, but it's child abuse to teach that kind of anti-science nonsense to impressionable young minds.

How come all the people swearing it is child abuse can never actually get some other member of the species to procreate with them?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #22 of 376
How come some of the people on these boards who hate the idea of "slutwalk" so much have spouses who would look like a bag of cottage cheese if they ever ventured out in hotpants?
post #23 of 376

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #24 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How come some of the people on these boards who hate the idea of "slutwalk" so much have spouses who would look like a bag of cottage cheese if they ever ventured out in hotpants?

Feeling a little misogynistic this morning I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post


"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #25 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It is child abuse to deliberately teach a child that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity.

THis statement is logic abuse...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #26 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How come some of the people on these boards who hate the idea of "slutwalk" so much have spouses who would look like a bag of cottage cheese if they ever ventured out in hotpants?

Nice. How do you know?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #27 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Nice. How do you know?

tonton sees all.

Or maybe he likes cottage cheese?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #28 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Nice. How do you know?

Obviously he spends a lot of time looking at pictures of our spouses and critiquing them.

This is the deepest form of logic which we are all obviously failing to grasp and that is when your reasoning fails to persuade , go after the spouse and offspring!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #29 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Nice. How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ron_paul2012



Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-ron-paul/ronpaul2012/

The fans are revved, what do those of you on this site think?

I could vote for him with no qualms. I just doubt the semi-informed citizens of the country will be able to vote for him because he isn't young, handsome and sound bite-ish enough. I mean the man can speak without any Roman columns and a teleprompter. What good is he to us?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #30 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I could vote for him with no qualms. I just doubt the semi-informed citizens of the country will be able to vote for him because he isn't young, handsome and sound bite-ish enough. I mean the man can speak without any Roman columns and a teleprompter. What good is he to us?

Indeed. I mean, can he golf? Does he look good with his shirt off? These are very important questions that must be addressed sooner or later.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #31 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ron_paul2012



Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-ron-paul/ronpaul2012/

The fans are revved, what do those of you on this site think?

I hope he gets the nomination because that'll guarantee Obama wins a second term, seriously.

Slashers do well in the US (ie Reagan types), eradicators like Ron Paul, fail.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #32 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I hope he gets the nomination because that'll guarantee Obama wins a second term, seriously.

Slashers do well in the US (ie Reagan types), eradicators like Ron Paul, fail.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. But you might be right. So many have become dependent upon the state for so much - not because they necessarily need it but because that's just the way it's always been. They can't bring themselves to imagine a world in which services currently provided by government are provided by private business. A shame, really, because it would be a better world.

Ron Paul gets my vote, regardless.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #33 of 376
It wouldn't be the first time I voted for him, but...

RP would turn EIGHTY during his term if elected.

While I generally like his political ideas, that kinda scares me.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #34 of 376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It wouldn't be the first time I voted for him, but...

RP would turn EIGHTY during his term if elected.

While I generally like his political ideas, that kinda scares me.

That is actually a very good argument. The office of the president has a tendency to age people very quickly. Can someone his age get through that. Very Possibly. But it is an important question.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #35 of 376
Ron Paul certainly has the right ideas and the intelligence...but he's not really electable for a variety of reasons. Even if he did get elected, there's little chance he'd get anything useful done.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #36 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Ron Paul certainly has the right ideas and the intelligence...but he's not really electable for a variety of reasons. Even if he did get elected, there's little chance he'd get anything useful done.

That's a bit defeatest!

Even Ron will tell you it takes a while to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security and replace them with the abolition of the minimum wage.

I do think that Ron P is right on some issues and hopefully those will become more popular. Like defense cuts and making drugs legal.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #37 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. But you might be right. So many have become dependent upon the state for so much - not because they necessarily need it but because that's just the way it's always been. They can't bring themselves to imagine a world in which services currently provided by government are provided by private business. A shame, really, because it would be a better world.

Ron Paul gets my vote, regardless.

Not everyone who believes in having safety nets uses them or relies on them. I never once tried to or got any government assistance in the US.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #38 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's a bit defeatest!

Even Ron will tell you it takes a while to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security and replace them with the abolition of the minimum wage.

I do think that Ron P is right on some issues and hopefully those will become more popular. Like defense cuts and making drugs legal.

What about The Fed? Do you think he's right on that?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #39 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

So anyone who teachers his or her children to question evolution is abusing them? What about about variations of evolution? Or, should we blindly accept the notion that life on Earth was random chance, unguided, etc? Understand I'm not talking about people that flatly deny evolution. But you must admit that evolution does not answer all questions about how we got here.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #40 of 376
On another note:

Paul won't win. He simply doesn't have the organization. However, he could really make things rough for Romney, who is the frontrunner. As for his ideas, he's got many great ones, and some that I think are a little extreme and unrealistic.

I was going to start a thread about the primaries in both parties, but I suppose this will do. Right now Romney is the clear frontrunner. He has huge organizational and financial advantage. I also don't see the field as being anywhere near as fragmented as it was in 2008. Last time around, Romney was losing social conservatives to Huckabee and moderates to McCain and Guiliani (in that order). He has none of those to worry about. He only needs to worry about Paul and perhaps Mitch Daniels. Of course, Rick Perry might get into the race, which could complicate things for him. Right now I think Romney will win it. He was my preference last time as well.

As for the Democrats, I'm wondering if Obama will face a primary challenge. It doesn't seem like it at present, but it's possible. Then again, the media is making Obama out to be unstoppable, which I think is far from the truth. A strong Republican candidate will have a very good chance at beating him without a dramatic economic recovery in the next year.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)