or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)

Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)

post #1 of 376
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ron_paul2012

Quote:
Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Friday that he will run for the GOP nomination for president in 2012, the third attempt for the man known on Capitol Hill as "Dr. No" for his enthusiasm for bashing runaway spending and government overreach.

"Time has come around to the point where the people are agreeing with much of what I've been saying for 30 years. So, I think the time is right," said the 75-year-old Paul, who first ran for president as a Libertarian in 1988.

Paul made his announcement in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America" from New Hampshire, where he held a rally later Friday.

Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2012-ron-paul/ronpaul2012/

The fans are revved, what do those of you on this site think?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #2 of 376
He doesn't accept the science of evolution. That automatically disqualifies him. He may have some good ideas (many of which I disagree with, but they are well thought at nonetheless), however, we need to stop electing people who flat out deny scientific reality.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #3 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Until this year I have been relatively ambivalent about Ron Paul, but I actually hope that he does well in his bid. If he got the nomination, I would likely vote for him.

Ron Paul is a lot of bullshit like his son Rand. He is against big government intervention but still takes pork from them as does the son.
post #4 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Ron Paul is a lot of bullshit like his son Rand. He is against big government intervention but still takes pork from them as does the son.

Do you have some links to that? It does not jive with what I have read. Not suprising if true. The yahoo article I have linked to says you are incorrect though.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #5 of 376
Noah, he does sponsor earmarks and then vote no on the bill (that he knows will pass anyway) to preserve his "I vote no spending" voting record.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #6 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

He doesn't accept the science of evolution. That automatically disqualifies him. He may have some good ideas (many of which I disagree with, but they are well thought at nonetheless), however, we need to stop electing people who flat out deny scientific reality.

Does Obama accept the science of evolution?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #7 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Does Obama accept the science of evolution?

http://christophersisk.com/2008/04/0...rts-evolution/
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #8 of 376

Interesting.

It's apparent from that quote that Obama takes an authoritarian approach to education. Ron Paul believes we should have the freedom to educate our children as we choose.

Even if Ron Paul doesn't believe we evolved from a pool of primordial goo, nobody should feel threatened by that, as he has made it clear he will not use the government to force his beliefs on others.

post #9 of 376
It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #10 of 376
Quote:

It's child abuse to educate your children that the entire process of science is false.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=170

post #11 of 376
Quote:

BS Strawman for this argument. Along with a false and inflammatory premise.

Child abuse my ass.

Stand down sir.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #12 of 376
Quote:

BS Strawman for this argument. Along with a false and inflammatory premise.

Child abuse my ass.

Stand down sir.

It is child abuse to deliberately teach a child that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #13 of 376
Quote:

It is child abuse to deliberately teach a child that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity.

Yeah...no one's doing that...except in your imagination.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #14 of 376

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #15 of 376
We'll set aside your dubious opinion about child abuse for now, but...

Quote:

Not sure how this link supports your claim that someone is teaching children:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR

that if he doesn't reject rational thought he'll burn in a fiery pit for all eternity

This appears to be only your opinion fueled by misunderstandings and conjecture on your part. What's even more interesting is the ironic use of fallacy in your statements.

post #16 of 376
Quote:

I watched that movie a couple of years ago. Some scary and manipulative folk at work for sure. Jesus, if here, would have a few harsh words to say to that crew.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #17 of 376
BR confuses science with evolution.

Two different things.

It is child abuse for "know it all teachers" to mock families who may believe in God.

BR reminds me of Christopher Hitchens. Does not believe in God and hates him. Bitter, self-idolizing (likes to hear himself talk), cry baby who will never be content.

A shame really.

I would vote for Paul as I can't tell you for the love of God what Bush or Obama has done for us other than bankrupt us.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #18 of 376
Still at it with the evolution isn't science nonsense Fellows? Really?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #19 of 376
Quote:

Still at it with the evolution isn't science nonsense Fellows? Really?

BR I love you as you know but I don't have enough faith to believe in the evolution fairy.

Peace.

post #20 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

BR I love you as you know but I don't have enough faith to believe in the evolution fairy.

Peace.

I know you mean well, but it's child abuse to teach that kind of anti-science nonsense to impressionable young minds.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #21 of 376
Quote:

I know you mean well, but it's child abuse to teach that kind of anti-science nonsense to impressionable young minds.

How come all the people swearing it is child abuse can never actually get some other member of the species to procreate with them?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #22 of 376
How come some of the people on these boards who hate the idea of "slutwalk" so much have spouses who would look like a bag of cottage cheese if they ever ventured out in hotpants?
post #23 of 376

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #24 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How come some of the people on these boards who hate the idea of "slutwalk" so much have spouses who would look like a bag of cottage cheese if they ever ventured out in hotpants?

Feeling a little misogynistic this morning I see.

Quote:

post #25 of 376
Quote:

THis statement is logic abuse...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #26 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nice. How do you know?

post #27 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Nice. How do you know?

tonton sees all.

Or maybe he likes cottage cheese?

post #28 of 376
Quote:

Nice. How do you know?

Obviously he spends a lot of time looking at pictures of our spouses and critiquing them.

This is the deepest form of logic which we are all obviously failing to grasp and that is when your reasoning fails to persuade , go after the spouse and offspring!

post #29 of 376
Quote:

Nice. How do you know?

Quote:

I could vote for him with no qualms. I just doubt the semi-informed citizens of the country will be able to vote for him because he isn't young, handsome and sound bite-ish enough. I mean the man can speak without any Roman columns and a teleprompter. What good is he to us?

post #30 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I could vote for him with no qualms. I just doubt the semi-informed citizens of the country will be able to vote for him because he isn't young, handsome and sound bite-ish enough. I mean the man can speak without any Roman columns and a teleprompter. What good is he to us?

Indeed. I mean, can he golf? Does he look good with his shirt off? These are very important questions that must be addressed sooner or later.

post #31 of 376
Quote:

I hope he gets the nomination because that'll guarantee Obama wins a second term, seriously.

Slashers do well in the US (ie Reagan types), eradicators like Ron Paul, fail.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #32 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I hope he gets the nomination because that'll guarantee Obama wins a second term, seriously.

Slashers do well in the US (ie Reagan types), eradicators like Ron Paul, fail.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. But you might be right. So many have become dependent upon the state for so much - not because they necessarily need it but because that's just the way it's always been. They can't bring themselves to imagine a world in which services currently provided by government are provided by private business. A shame, really, because it would be a better world.

Ron Paul gets my vote, regardless.

post #33 of 376
It wouldn't be the first time I voted for him, but...

RP would turn EIGHTY during his term if elected.

While I generally like his political ideas, that kinda scares me.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #34 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It wouldn't be the first time I voted for him, but...

RP would turn EIGHTY during his term if elected.

While I generally like his political ideas, that kinda scares me.

That is actually a very good argument. The office of the president has a tendency to age people very quickly. Can someone his age get through that. Very Possibly. But it is an important question.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #35 of 376
Ron Paul certainly has the right ideas and the intelligence...but he's not really electable for a variety of reasons. Even if he did get elected, there's little chance he'd get anything useful done.

post #36 of 376
Quote:

Ron Paul certainly has the right ideas and the intelligence...but he's not really electable for a variety of reasons. Even if he did get elected, there's little chance he'd get anything useful done.

That's a bit defeatest!

Even Ron will tell you it takes a while to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security and replace them with the abolition of the minimum wage.

I do think that Ron P is right on some issues and hopefully those will become more popular. Like defense cuts and making drugs legal.
post #37 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. But you might be right. So many have become dependent upon the state for so much - not because they necessarily need it but because that's just the way it's always been. They can't bring themselves to imagine a world in which services currently provided by government are provided by private business. A shame, really, because it would be a better world.

Ron Paul gets my vote, regardless.

Not everyone who believes in having safety nets uses them or relies on them. I never once tried to or got any government assistance in the US.
post #38 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's a bit defeatest!

Even Ron will tell you it takes a while to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security and replace them with the abolition of the minimum wage.

I do think that Ron P is right on some issues and hopefully those will become more popular. Like defense cuts and making drugs legal.

What about The Fed? Do you think he's right on that?

post #39 of 376
Quote:

So anyone who teachers his or her children to question evolution is abusing them? What about about variations of evolution? Or, should we blindly accept the notion that life on Earth was random chance, unguided, etc? Understand I'm not talking about people that flatly deny evolution. But you must admit that evolution does not answer all questions about how we got here.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #40 of 376
On another note:

Paul won't win. He simply doesn't have the organization. However, he could really make things rough for Romney, who is the frontrunner. As for his ideas, he's got many great ones, and some that I think are a little extreme and unrealistic.

I was going to start a thread about the primaries in both parties, but I suppose this will do. Right now Romney is the clear frontrunner. He has huge organizational and financial advantage. I also don't see the field as being anywhere near as fragmented as it was in 2008. Last time around, Romney was losing social conservatives to Huckabee and moderates to McCain and Guiliani (in that order). He has none of those to worry about. He only needs to worry about Paul and perhaps Mitch Daniels. Of course, Rick Perry might get into the race, which could complicate things for him. Right now I think Romney will win it. He was my preference last time as well.

As for the Democrats, I'm wondering if Obama will face a primary challenge. It doesn't seem like it at present, but it's possible. Then again, the media is making Obama out to be unstoppable, which I think is far from the truth. A strong Republican candidate will have a very good chance at beating him without a dramatic economic recovery in the next year.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)