or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)

Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?) - Page 2

post #41 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So anyone who teachers his or her children to question evolution is abusing them?

Questioning in a reasonable scientific manner happens all the time. That's a good thing. Bringing up a myriad of fallacies in an attempt to invalidate evolution because you can't or won't bring yourself to let go of childish fairy tales enough to let a little reality creep in...yeah, that is.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #42 of 376
Quote:

On another note:

Paul won't win. He simply doesn't have the organization. However, he could really make things rough for Romney, who is the frontrunner. As for his ideas, he's got many great ones, and some that I think are a little extreme and unrealistic.

I was going to start a thread about the primaries in both parties, but I suppose this will do. Right now Romney is the clear frontrunner. He has huge organizational and financial advantage. I also don't see the field as being anywhere near as fragmented as it was in 2008. Last time around, Romney was losing social conservatives to Huckabee and moderates to McCain and Guiliani (in that order). He has none of those to worry about. He only needs to worry about Paul and perhaps Mitch Daniels. Of course, Rick Perry might get into the race, which could complicate things for him. Right now I think Romney will win it. He was my preference last time as well.

As for the Democrats, I'm wondering if Obama will face a primary challenge. It doesn't seem like it at present, but it's possible. Then again, the media is making Obama out to be unstoppable, which I think is far from the truth. A strong Republican candidate will have a very good chance at beating him without a dramatic economic recovery in the next year.

You could also add that for better or worse, Republicans tend to nominate the second place guy to replace the first place guy during the next go around if they don't win. The last time the race was really wide open was 2000.

Herman Cain is polling much stronger after the first debate but Romney has spent years putting down his organization and can self fund if need be as well. That doesn't change the fact that I don't really like the man that much as a candidate.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #43 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Questioning in a reasonable scientific manner happens all the time. That's a good thing. Bringing up a myriad of fallacies in an attempt to invalidate evolution because you can't or won't bring yourself to let go of childish fairy tales enough to let a little reality creep in...yeah, that is.

Darwin's Theory of evolution does not explain or account for how life came to be on this planet, it only postulates what happened after it came to be.

Intelligent Design is merely one possible explanation for how life came to be.

Evolution does happen, yes. But not to the degree or on the scale that some claim. It has not been proven, for example, that all life on this planet evolved from primordial goo, or even that humans evolved from other primates. Those assumptions are made on faith, just like the assumption that a Higher Being put this all together.

That said, you're missing the point. You need not fear that Ron Paul will use the state to impose his belief system on you. But maybe that's not the issue with you. Perhaps you want the state to impose a belief system on everyone, just not Ron Paul's?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #44 of 376
You are misinformed on what evolution is and what it explains. I'm not going to waste my time trying to correct your view because you don't fucking care to open your eyes.

But, I will point you to http://www.exmormon.org in case you ever want to recover from your disease.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #45 of 376
Quote:

But, I will point you to http://www.exmormon.org in case you ever want to recover from your disease.

How nice.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #46 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

How nice.

Would you not call a cult a disease?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #47 of 376
I can always tell when I get to you, BR.

You just can't get past my religion, can you? You bring it up at every opportunity, as if it is some trump card for any argument with me. The ironic thing is you are the one railing on about discrimination.

As I have said before, your personal attacks say more about you than they do about me.

To offer some counterbalance to your anti-Mormon propaganda site, I suggest seeing what Mormons themselves think about their religion: http://www.mormon.org

post #48 of 376
http://www.exmormon.org is not a propaganda site. Yours is, though.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #49 of 376
Quote:

http://www.exmormon.org is not a propaganda site. Yours is, though.

I'm honest enough with myself to admit that they both are. Are you?

post #50 of 376
Quote:

Would you not call a cult a disease?

I'm pretty sure the majority of people wouldn't call a cult a disease. These people use dictionaries.

post #51 of 376
So far in this thread we have BR declaring someone unqualified to be President because that person holds views that he doesn't agree with, accusing people who teach things he doesn't agree with of be child abusers and people who don't have the same views he has as having a disease.

Must be a record for one thread.

It can only get better from here on out.

post #52 of 376
Quote:

So far in this thread we have BR declaring someone unqualified to be President because that person holds views that he doesn't agree with, accusing people who teach things he doesn't agree with of be child abusers and people who don't have the same views he has as having a disease.

It can only get better from here on out.

It's just BR's way of showing empathy.

post #53 of 376
Quote:
Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position so as to benefit oneself.

There is personal benefit for the Mormon church to convert more people to Mormonism.

There is no personal benefit to help people leave the cult.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #54 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

It's just BR's way of showing empathy.

I'm starting a CottageCheeseWalk next month. We're reclaiming that sucker!

Take back the fridge!

post #55 of 376
No link to where you got that definition from, BR? Looked around until you found a definition you liked?

From Dictionary.com:

prop·a·gan·da   

–noun

1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.

3. the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement

post #56 of 376
First sentence in the wikipedia entry. First result when typing propaganda into google. <comment about your atrocious reference skills>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #57 of 376
Have a great afternoon. Try not to ruin too many more young minds while I'm gone.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #58 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm starting a CottageCheeseWalk next month. We're reclaiming that sucker!

Take back the fridge!

Let's have the first annual CACATE (Citizens Against Child Abuse Through Education) rally in July.

post #59 of 376
I'd say the probability of ruining any minds has gone down substantially with your departure BR.

post #60 of 376
How's this for a definition, BR?

Quote:
The word cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.

From (Wikipedia).

I'd say just about every religion falls into that category in some form or fashion. Heck, that description is not even exclusive to religion.

post #61 of 376
And isn't "abnormal" and "bizarre" highly subjective and a matter of perspective?

To me a "cult" would involve some degree of at least "soft coercion" of its members.

post #62 of 376
Quote:

How come all the people swearing it is child abuse can never actually get some other member of the species to procreate with them?

I think it's adorable that Trumptman is going on and on and on about my post, when it was a tit-for-tat response to his own ridiculous ad-hominem.

I guess I must have hit a nerve.

Cottage cheese! Cottage cheese!
post #63 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I think it's adorable that Trumptman is going on and on and on about my post, when it was a tit-for-tat response to his own ridiculous ad-hominem.

I guess I must have hit a nerve.

Cottage cheese! Cottage cheese!

I laughed at it then and will now. I'm all about the fun.

Of course when I write up a post about you that I declare to be parody and has no actual event to parody but is just filled with a bunch of lies about you, just keep laughing then too.

Because that is what the left and those of your worldview do you know.

Don't worry tonton, if I wanted to go low blow on spouses, YOU'D certainly know. My snark does indeed go to 11.

post #64 of 376
Oh, the irony...
post #65 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

You need not fear that Ron Paul will use the state to impose his belief system on you. But maybe that's not the issue with you. Perhaps you want the state to impose a belief system on everyone, just not Ron Paul's?

This is almost certainly true. It's a common issue among statists. They come in various forms...technocrat...nanny...etc. But ultimately the desire is to achieve through force what they a) deem to be important regardless of the values of others, b) cannot achieve by persuasion and voluntary means, and c) feel need to be achieve in order to perfect the world into their Utopian vision.

post #66 of 376
Quote:

So anyone who teachers his or her children to question evolution is abusing them? What about about variations of evolution? Or, should we blindly accept the notion that life on Earth was random chance, unguided, etc? Understand I'm not talking about people that flatly deny evolution. But you must admit that evolution does not answer all questions about how we got here.

Quote:
teachers

should be teaches.

Maybe he should start at proper word usage first!

I know it's a typo but I couldn't resist because that wouldn't have stopped you.

The truth of the matter is that Ron Paul doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to be elected president.

People have the right to to raise their children how they want but they should be prepared for the tougher life they'll have by ignoring what's obvious all around them.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #67 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

People have the right to to raise their children how they want but they should be prepared for the tougher life they'll have by ignoring what's obvious all around them.

Indeed this is true.

post #68 of 376
Quote:

Indeed this is true.

Well obvious to some that are willing to seek the truth by scientific investigation and not just accept things solely on faith.

I think that would be most people now days so hence the tougher life due to how their peers treat them.
post #69 of 376
Quote:

Well obvious to some that are willing to seek the truth by scientific investigation and not just accept things solely on faith.

Yes, true.

post #70 of 376
Quote:

Yes, true.

So. How do you feel about this issue? Do you believe in the evolutionary theory or do you believe that things were created by some all powerful entity?
post #71 of 376
The next day...................
post #72 of 376
Quote:

So. How do you feel on this issue? Do you believe in the evolutionary theory or do you believe that things were created by some all powerful entity?

The question here attempts to create a simplistic dichotomy...but I'll play along...

I do believe there's a creator of the universe who fundamentally designed and created the world and life as we know it.

I do accept evidence of some evolutionary aspects to plant and animal life.

I don't accept the broader all-encompassing claims made by and explanations offered by the so-called "Theory of Evolution" nor do I consider it scientific in any sense that the scientific method is the foundation of it or that it is truly falsifiable.

You?

post #73 of 376
Quote:

The question here attempts to create a simplistic dichotomy...but I'll play along...

I do believe there's a creator of the universe who fundamentally designed and created the world and life as we know it.

I do accept evidence of some evolutionary aspects to plant and animal life.

I don't accept the broader all-encompassing claims made by and explanations offered by the so-called "Theory of Evolution" nor do I consider it scientific in any sense that the scientific method is the foundation of it or that it is truly falsifiable.

You?

I do believe in all aspects of evolutionary theory ( even human ). I also know that the universe ( or multiverse as it seems is becoming increasingly more likely ) is very large and diverse. I also know that we have only scratched the surface when it comes to defining existence so our knowledge is limited. This leaves room for many things ( even for some all powerful entity ). However there's enough solid evidence already that shows evolution is on the right track. We don't understand enough of it yet like we will in the future but there's enough right now to have a basic understanding of how we got here.

I also believe ignoring what we've learned so far is foolish.
post #74 of 376
Quote:

I agree.

post #75 of 376
Quote:

I do believe in all aspects of evolutionary theory ( even human ). I also know that the universe ( or multiverse as it seems is becoming increasingly more likely ) is very large and diverse. I also know that we have only scratched the surface when it comes to defining existence so our knowledge is limited. This leaves room for many things ( even for some all powerful entity ). However there's enough solid evidence already that shows evolution is on the right track. We don't understand enough of it yet like we will in the future but there's enough right now to have a basic understanding of how we got here.

It doesn't matter what you believe or what he believes or whether you think it is foolish or whether he thinks you are foolish.

It is when you declare you can point a finger and declare his beliefs a CRIME that would be punishable by taking away his CHILDREN that the problem starts. This problem becomes compounded when you are doing this because you are "EMPATHETIC".

You know, you're only prosecuting his beliefs as a crime and stealing his kids because you care so much.

Bizarro reasoning indeed. Orwell would be proud.

post #76 of 376
Quote:

should be teaches.

Maybe he should start at proper word usage first!

I know it's a typo but I couldn't resist because that wouldn't have stopped you.

The truth of the matter is that Ron Paul doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to be elected president.

You don't make simple typos. You make glaring, repeated grammatical and spelling errors. There is a difference.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #77 of 376
Quote:

It doesn't matter what you believe or what he believes or whether you think it is foolish or whether he thinks you are foolish.

It is when you declare you can point a finger and declare his beliefs a CRIME that would be punishable by taking away his CHILDREN that the problem starts. This problem becomes compounded when you are doing this because you are "EMPATHETIC".

You know, you're only prosecuting his beliefs as a crime and stealing his kids because you care so much.

Exactly!

post #78 of 376
Quote:

You don't make simple typos. You make glaring, repeated grammatical and spelling errors. There is a difference.

Yeah sure there's a big difference!
post #79 of 376
Quote:

What the fuck are you going on about now?

All I wanted to know was where he stood on evolution. First he starts this
Quote:
simplistic dichotomy

thing then you go off half cocked on your bent!

Wow! You guys are really paranoid. I didn't declare his beliefs a crime. If I did show me where. I did say people have a right to raise their kids any way they want but I guess you're so busy being indignant you can't read. But that's you all over. You clearly don't understand what someone's saying to you and if that's the case it makes me wonder about your larger understanding of the world. It would explain a lot.
post #80 of 376
Quote:

Yeah sure there's a big difference!

Actually...there is.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)