or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)

Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?) - Page 3

post #81 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What the fuck are you going on about now?

You should read the whole thread. You'll be caught up then.

Quote:

All I wanted to know was where he stood on evolution.

Actually it was a simplistic dichotomy. It is rare that anyone can imagine any nuance on this question. It pretty much boils down to "You either accept Evolution or you think the world is 6,000 years old."

Quote:

Wow! You guys are really paranoid.

I'm not.

Quote:

I didn't declare his beliefs a crime.

Again...read the thread to catch up.

We've had BR declaring someone unqualified to be President if they don't believe in Evolution, parents being child abusers if they teach it, others to have a disease because they subscribe to a belief BR doesn't like. And practically none of that really had anything to do with Ron Paul.

Needless to say its never a dull moment when BR's around.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #82 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You should read the whole thread. You'll be caught up then.

Actually it was a simplistic dichotomy. It is rare that anyone can imagine any nuance on this question. It pretty much boils down to "You either accept Evolution or you think the world is 6,000 years old."

I'm not.

Again...read the thread to catch up. We have BR declaring someone unqualified to be President if they don't believe in Evolution, parents being child abusers if they teach it, others to have a disease because they subscribe to a belief BR doesn't like. And practically none of that really had anything to do with Ron Paul.

It's been an interesting thread to say the least.

Oh no you don't. Trumpy referenced me by saying " You " several times. So it wasn't a reference to anything else in this thread. And in your
Quote:
simplistic dichotomy

reference you were implying I was trying to manuver you into a corner. I repeat all I wanted to know was your position. That's it.

I'm glad you took a position as I thought you might dodge the answer.

Quote:
It pretty much boils down to "You either accept Evolution or you think the world is 6,000 years old."

What it really boils down to is that I'll have a better understanding of you position in the future.

As you can see my own position isn't cut and dried either. However there are some things that scientific investigation has made undeniable.

Paranoid. Either that or you think BR and myself are one in the same ( which is stupid and paranoid in itself ).
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #83 of 376
Quote:

Oh no you don't. Trumpy referenced me by saying " You " several times. So it wasn't a reference to anything else in this thread. And in your reference you were implying I was trying to manuver you into a corner. I repeat all I wanted to know was your position. That's it.

Paranoid. Either that or you think BR and myself are one in the same ( which is stupid and paranoid in itself ).

I'm not trying to accuse you jimmac and I apologize if you felt that way. It what a rhetorical you. I presumed you'd get it because as others noted, there's an assumption of having read the thread when participating in it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #84 of 376
Quote:

Oh no you don't. Trumpy referenced me by saying " You " several times.

I believe he was using a rhetorical technique in which he was using "you" in the very broad sense, not in the individual sense.

Quote:

So it wasn't a reference to anything else in this thread.

I believe it was actually.

Quote:

And in your reference you were implying I was trying to manuver you into a corner.

Yes, that was my implication. But, again, the question did present a simplistic dichotomy.

Quote:

Paranoid.

Not at all. Working from experience.

Quote:

Either that or you think BR and myself are one in the same ( which is stupid and paranoid in itself ).

Well...it may be ignorant and fallacious...not sure about stupid and paranoid. But then I haven't assumed anything about the alignment of your and BR's thoughts and opinions. Maybe if you assume I have you are being stupid and paranoid?

post #85 of 376
Quote:

What it really boils down to is that I'll have a better understanding of you position in the future.

Good for you. It will be interesting to see how you use this newfound knowledge.

Quote:

However there are some things that scientific investigation has made undeniable.

Yes there are. And there are things that some claim scientific investigation has made undeniable.

post #86 of 376
Quote:

I believe he was using a rhetorical technique in which he was using "you" in the very broad sense, not in the individual sense.

I believe it was actually.

Yes, that was my implication. But, again, the question did present a simplistic dichotomy.

Not at all. Working from experience.

Well...it may be ignorant and fallacious...not sure about stupid and paranoid. But then I haven't assumed anything about the alignment of your and BR's thoughts and opinions. Maybe if you assume I have you are being stupid and paranoid?

Huh uh! Allow me to quote :
Quote:
You know, you're only prosecuting his beliefs as a crime and stealing his kids because you care so much.

Bizarro reasoning indeed. Orwell would be proud.

This was in a reply to me. There's no other way to take it.

And yes BR and I do agree on many things however not on everything.

And yes paranoid I think fits very well.

Quote:
But, again, the question did present a simplistic dichotomy.

Only in your mind. That's why I say paranoid. Paranoia often makes the individual think he/she knows what the other person is going to say even before they say it.
post #87 of 376
Quote:

Huh uh! Allow me to quote :

This was in a reply to me. There's no other way to take it.

Actually there is...when you have the benefit of the entire thread context, and the rhetorical mannerisms of a writer. I've seen trumptman use that rhetorical approach a lot and I get it almost every time.

You should also note that trumptman himself apologized if you took any offense and tried to explain the rhetorical nature of his use of "you."

Perhaps you are the paranoid one here.

Quote:

And yes paranoid I think fits very well.

Well you are free to think whatever you like. But, like Evolution, just thinking something doesn't make it true.

post #88 of 376
Quote:

Actually there is...when you have the benefit of the entire thread context, and the rhetorical mannerisms of a writer. I've seen trumptman use that rhetorical approach a lot and I get it almost every time.

Perhaps you are the paranoid one here.

Well you are free to think whatever you like. But, like Evolution, just thinking something doesn't make it true.

Quote:

Uh no. Once again this was a reply to me and not a general reply to the thread. If it had been you might have something there.
post #89 of 376
Quote:

Only in your mind.

No. You see the whole concept of evolution is very big and broad and carries much nuance as well as baggage. So does the concept of creation. To present a question like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac

Do you believe in the evolutionary theory or do you believe that things were created by some all powerful entity?

Presents a very simplistic question.

Sorry of that makes you uncomfortable.

Quote:

Paranoia often makes the individual think he/she knows what the other person is going to say even before they say it.

Oh dear God! The irony!!!

Now back to Ron Paul...

post #90 of 376
Quote:

Uh no. Once again this was a reply to me and not a general reply to the thread. If it had been you might have something there.

OK. We all get it. You are unable to parse a response within its context and recognize this common rhetorical approach.

post #91 of 376
Quote:

What about The Fed? Do you think he's right on that?

This is the biggest thing of all and yes he's absolutely right. It's our country, our credit. Quite what he wants to do I'm not sure of though.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #92 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

This is the biggest thing of all and yes he's absolutely right. It's our country, our credit. Quite what he wants to do I'm not sure of though.

Well, he wrote a book about it, so you can find out.

post #93 of 376
Quote:

Yeah sure there's a big difference!

Glad you see it my way.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #94 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac

By the way, the above is an example of a typo. I only point it out here because it is a rare occasion where you actually made a simple typo. Unfortunately, such a minor error is not characteristic of your posts.
post #95 of 376
How old was that whackjob Perot when he ran?
post #96 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How old was that whackjob Perot when he ran?

Http://tinyurl.com/6ktrxjy
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #97 of 376
I was on a minibus at 11:30pm, on my iPod Touch with marginal internet. You could have just answered.

So... Perot was younger when he ran, even the second time, as a visibly ancient man, than Paul is today.
post #98 of 376
Discrimination on the basis of age?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #99 of 376
Quote:

I was on a minibus at 11:30pm, on my iPod Touch with marginal internet. You could have just answered.

So... Perot was younger when he ran, even the second time, as a visibly ancient man, than Paul is today.

I could have but I did not care to. What does this have to do with anything? Perot did not win, he did not have a reasonable chance due to his inability to remain focused. Heck, I did not vote for him. And so his age versus Ron Paul has what to do with the conversation?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #100 of 376
Quote:

You don't help your case when you'll blame someone half a world away for your internet access.

Blame the government where you live. Obviously they lack enough empathy to provide you truly decent internet for your iPod touch due to greedy bastards not caring.

post #101 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You don't help your case when you'll blame someone half a world away for your internet access.

Blame the government where you live. Obviously they lack enough empathy to provide you truly decent internet for your iPod touch due to greedy bastards not caring.

To be fair I was being a bit of a smart ass. However it does not change my question. Why would one have anything to do with the other?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #102 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

To be fair I was being a bit of a smart ass. However it does not change my question. Why would one have anything to do with the other?

It's a question of fit for office or not.
post #103 of 376
Quote:

It's a question of fit for office or not.

You are going to have to give a bit more than that. Ross Perot is not the same as any other candidate. Unless you are saying that age is a now a valid discriminating factor.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #104 of 376
Quote:

You are going to have to give a bit more than that. Ross Perot is not the same as any other candidate. Unless you are saying that age is a now a valid discriminating factor.

You sure are gussying up the language in order to dodge the reality that when you are electing someone for president for a term of 4 years, you kind of want to make sure that person will be around for the entire 4 years.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #105 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You sure are gussying up the language in order to dodge the reality that when you are electing someone for president for a term of 4 years, you kind of want to make sure that person will be around for the entire 4 years.

Yep just look what happened to John McCain!

post #106 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yep just look what happened to John McCain!

Wait, he's still alive?

post #107 of 376
Quote:

OK. We all get it. You are unable to parse a response within its context and recognize this common rhetorical approach.

Quote:
We all get it.

First of all when did you get to be group spokesperson ( as if they all share your beliefs )?

What I am able to recognize is that his repsonse was a personal one. Just because you're another conservative and want to give support ( so you can't or refuse to see that ) doesn't change anything.
post #108 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Glad you see it my way.

I see your way alright.
post #109 of 376
Quote:

No. You see the whole concept of evolution is very big and broad and carries much nuance as well as baggage. So does the concept of creation. To present a question like:

Presents a very simplistic question.

Sorry of that makes you uncomfortable.

Oh dear God! The irony!!!

Now back to Ron Paul...

What a bunch of hokum. And yes someone was uncomfortable it just wasn't me.

Now back to the candidate with no chance in hell.
post #110 of 376
Quote:

First of all when did you get to be group spokesperson ( as if they all share your beliefs )?

Quote:

Just because you're another conservative...

Actually, I'm not really a conservative. But don't let that get in your way.

post #111 of 376
Quote:

What a bunch of hokum.

post #112 of 376
Quote:

Actually, I'm not really a conservative. But don't let that get in your way.

Yeah, sure, ya betcha.
post #113 of 376
Quote:

As SDW in his infinite wisdom would say :
Quote:
Glad you see it my way.

post #114 of 376
Quote:

Yeah, sure, ya betcha.

Interesting how you think you can tell me what I believe. Or maybe it's an inability to recognize the difference in stances?

post #115 of 376
Quote:

Interesting how you think you can tell me what I believe. Or maybe it's an inability to recognize the difference in stances?

Sure. You're not uncomfortable.
post #116 of 376
Refreshing isn't it?
post #117 of 376
Quote:

Gussying up? Is it, or is it not ok to discriminate based on age in this instance? You can give whatever reason you want for the discrimination, but it does not change what it is. Based on your response I would assume you do believe that age discrimination is ok here.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #118 of 376
"Age discrimination" is already in the constitution. There is a minimum age to be eligible to run for the president. Clearly age is already a factor.

When electing a president to a term of 4 years, do you or do you not want to be reasonably sure that person will be around for the entire 4 years?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #119 of 376
Quote:

"Age discrimination" is already in the constitution. There is a minimum age to be eligible to run for the president. Clearly age is already a factor.

When electing a president to a term of 4 years, do you or do you not want to be reasonably sure that person will be around for the entire 4 years?

So you do then. Got it.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #120 of 376
Quote:

So you do then. Got it.

Are you saying that I don't have a valid concern?

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Ron Paul Announces He's Running (Is it his time?)