or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
An alleged case for the iPhone '5g' on a Chinese trading website depicts an edge-to-edge screen with the rear camera flash moved to the opposite corner from the camera.

Guangdong, China-based Kulcase is listing an alleged "Newest design crystal case for Apple iPhone 5g" on the company's Alibaba.com site, MacNN reports. Alibaba.com serves as an international business-to-business trading site and has been the source for a number of Apple product leaks in the past.

A mockup of front of the so-called iPhone 5g shows an edge-to-edge screen, while the rear view of the case shows that the flash component has been moved to the top-right corner away from the camera.

While the mockup should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt, case manufacturers in the past have obtained insider information regarding Apple's design specifications ahead of official product announcements. In March, three employees from Apple partner Foxconn were formally charged with violating trade secrets for allegedly leaking the design of the iPad 2 to third-party accessory makers.

Cases accurately matching the design of the iPad 2 surfaced last December, several months before Apple's unveiling of the device. After the accuracy of the cases caused Foxconn to suspect that the designs had been leaked, it contacted local police to investigate the matter.



The case design appears to track with recent reports regarding an edge-to-edge screen for the next-generation iPhone, though it's also possible that the mockup is itself based on publicly available rumors. In March, unverified engineering drawings depicting an iPhone with a larger screen surfaced.



In April, a photo of an alleged prototype iPhone with an edge-to-edge displayed appeared, though some reports have dismissed the photo as a fake.



Other reports have suggested that Apple will release an iPhone '4S' in September with relatively minor modifications, such as a transition to the A5 chip used in the iPad 2. On Friday, one analyst asserted that the fifth-generation iPhone will arrive in September, featuring "minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support." Various sources have suggested that Apple will miss its traditional summer launch of a new iPhone, instead releasing a new device in the fall.
post #2 of 45
I'll still be skipping this refresh and wait until 2012 when my contract is up and then shop my business between providers. I think the i4 is fast enough and has a nice camera for it.
post #3 of 45
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.
post #4 of 45
Im not sold on the larger display even though I welcome it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.

That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 45
I got an early iPhone 4 (pre-orderd), had it for 3 1/2 weeks and had to return it for dropped calls (incoming & outgoing, whether I held it or not). Maybe they had problems with early production runs...................

So I skipped a generation and finished up my AT&T contract. I'm still using my 3GS and anxiously awaiting the next phone............I like the edge to edge thing, if that happens.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im not sold on the larger display even though I welcome it.

That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.

As with all things Apple, suppose it's a question of getting used to it!

And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display.
post #7 of 45
Gah.... here we go, near dally rumors, each presented as just as likely as the last, and most of them contradicting each other. The next iPhone will be a minor refresh with slight cosmetic differences, or with an edge to edge screen, or with a redesigned "unibody" case, or nothing at all until next year, or.... whatever gets floated next.

I really think Apple has taken to seeding the rumor mills with flak just to keep everyone guessing.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.

"What's up with those tiny icons?" Are you talking about the small app icons that are in the folder together? Maybe you didn't know you could do that.........
post #9 of 45
Nice photoshop picture.
post #10 of 45
"That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone."
"And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display."

EXCEPT, I can't find that 'Stocks' app anywhere in iPad apps to download to my iPad (I have that 'Stocks app on my 3GS). So, it would have been a little more tricky to shrink an iPad display and put an app on the screen that you can't get on the iPad.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone."
"And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display."

EXCEPT, I can't find that 'Stocks' app anywhere in iPad apps to download to my iPad (I have that 'Stocks app on my 3GS). So, it would have been a little more tricky to shrink an iPad display and put an app on the screen that you can't get on the iPad.

You could save that icon to a webpage and then create a WebClip bookmark. This would only take a moment to do but I have trouble thinking that someone would have put that kind of thought into it just to make a sloppy rendering with the iPad display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gah.... here we go, near dally rumors, each presented as just as likely as the last, and most of them contradicting each other. The next iPhone will be a minor refresh with slight cosmetic differences, or with an edge to edge screen, or with a redesigned "unibody" case, or nothing at all until next year, or.... whatever gets floated next.

I really think Apple has taken to seeding the rumor mills with flak just to keep everyone guessing.

I don't think apple seeds anything. These sites create or propagate any rumor they can because it generates traffic. Period.
post #13 of 45
"You could save that icon to a webpage and then create a WebClip bookmark. This would only take a moment to do but I have trouble thinking that someone would have put that kind of thought into it just to make a sloppy rendering with the iPad display."

Me too!
post #14 of 45
Even if this is a case for a new iPhone, would the company that made it get access to a full functioning device? I would think they would get a dummy phone which would make the screen picture a photoshop.
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"What's up with those tiny icons?" Are you talking about the small app icons that are in the folder together? Maybe you didn't know you could do that.........

Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal.
post #16 of 45
The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. There have been far too many insiders proclaim this up and down. I would also imagine the case to be the real deal too.

I would imagine a huge segment of VZ customers have held off on the iPhone 4 knowing that the new version was a mere months away, including myself. The iPhone 5 with the larger screen and the A5 will be Apple's highest selling device to date. To say it will far outsell the iPhone 4 is a huge understatement.
post #17 of 45
I see an edge, all around.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

... I smell a really bad Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice photoshop picture.

I think people are forgetting that even if the case is real, they would still have to do what all case makers/sellers do and put a photoshopped picture of the phone inside the case. The fact that the screen on the first picture is obviously photoshopped doesn't mean anything.

I personally don't buy the larger screen until I see more than just a case manufacturing leak. Cases are often based on the same rumours we read in AppleInsider so it can easily be a situation where rumour is feeding on rumour.

The thing that makes me think that the larger screen is not real is that it's so completely "un-Apple" to do that. They decide on things like screen size long before the first beta of the product is released and if they considered the screen size to be some kind of a problem one would think they would have changed it when they put out the retina display.

It also kind of implies that they are changing the screen size to larger because:

a) Android phones are that way and they need to compete
b) That's what the people want
c) the current size for the last five years was "too small."

None of those make sense or are typically things Apple cares about or does IMO. The first two are demonstrably untrue as well. Rumours are often about what the rumour monger *wishes* to be true rather than a reasonable argument of fact, and this smells like that to me.

I could be wrong of course but I'm waiting for more confirmation than "unknown chinese case manufacturer says so."
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. ...

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?
post #20 of 45
"Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal."

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, I didn't perceive the icons to be out of proportion......
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?

Yes I do. And also know for a "fact" that you are an ass.
post #22 of 45
Although it may not mean anything, I think the fact that the chinese case has the camera flash in a new location is significant. This altered flash was NOT shown in the "leaked" engineering drawings nor on any previous "leak" or rumor that I can remember. Given the history of case manufacturers getting early specifications of new Apple products and the fact that other leaks have pointed to an "edge-to-edge" screen (with the same resolution), I wouldn't be surprised if this is a real case made to the specs of iPhone 4GS/5.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal."

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, I didn't perceive the icons to be out of proportion......

People are usually more forgiving of mistakes if you're at least polite.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The thing that makes me think that the larger screen is not real is that it's so completely "un-Apple" to do that. They decide on things like screen size long before the first beta of the product is released and if they considered the screen size to be some kind of a problem one would think they would have changed it when they put out the retina display.

It also kind of implies that they are changing the screen size to larger because:

a) Android phones are that way and they need to compete
b) That's what the people want
c) the current size for the last five years was "too small."

None of those make sense or are typically things Apple cares about or does IMO. The first two are demonstrably untrue as well. Rumours are often about what the rumour monger *wishes* to be true rather than a reasonable argument of fact, and this smells like that to me.

I could be wrong of course but I'm waiting for more confirmation than "unknown chinese case manufacturer says so."

I think you're wrong. I don't think Apple decided on the 'screen size' per se when they built the original iPhone, I'm fairly confident that they in fact decided (after much testing and experimentation) on the optimal 'phone size'. Ie the height and width of a slab-style phone that would be optimal for holding in your hand/fitting into pockets/handbags etc. They then incorporated the largest screen that was technically feasible at the time given the footprint constraint.

Over the last 5 years the tech has improved such that they can likely now fit a somewhat larger display within the this 'optimal' footprint.

Apple (just like you average consumer) DOES think that bigger screens are better. For evidence of this, look at the evolution of the iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iMac. In addition, to pretend that Apple isn't influenced in this somewhat by consumers experience of Andriod or Windows Phone models with larger displays is just plain silly. When people look at the devices with larger displays they say 2 things - "Wow, the big screen is cool", and "but, it's too big to carry around". Apple's approach of taking the screen closer to edge to edge delivers against the first benefit, whilst neatly avoiding the second concern.

It's going to be great!
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #25 of 45
How do you hold the phone without your fingers blocking some of the screen?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think you're wrong. I don't think Apple decided on the 'screen size' per se when they built the original iPhone, I'm fairly confident that they in fact decided (after much testing and experimentation) on the optimal 'phone size'. Ie the height and width of a slab-style phone that would be optimal for holding in your hand/fitting into pockets/handbags etc. They then incorporated the largest screen that was technically feasible at the time given the footprint constraint.

Over the last 5 years the tech has improved such that they can likely now fit a somewhat larger display within the this 'optimal' footprint.

Apple (just like you average consumer) DOES think that bigger screens are better. For evidence of this, look at the evolution of the iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iMac. In addition, to pretend that Apple isn't influenced in this somewhat by consumers experience of Andriod or Windows Phone models with larger displays is just plain silly. When people look at the devices with larger displays they say 2 things - "Wow, the big screen is cool", and "but, it's too big to carry around". Apple's approach of taking the screen closer to edge to edge delivers against the first benefit, whilst neatly avoiding the second concern.

It's going to be great!

Maybe, maybe not.

I think all the Android phones have bigger screens lately primarily because they are all being marketed almost exclusively to males. You see some men, like the screen bigger because ... well l won't go there.

I see no evidence that the average consumer wants a bigger screen but then it's all opinion at this point anyway. There is no actual evidence pointing to a bigger screen yet and similarly no real evidence to contradict the notion.

Apple designs the best products and they don't do things casually or for "flavour of the moment" kind of reasons. They design deliberately and rationally. So I'm prepared for either. If the screen turns out to be bigger, they will surely have good, rational reasons for doing so.

On a different note ... I just realised that the case pictured in this article is also not really proof of a bigger screen. Since the image of the iPhone inside it is obviously photoshopped, there is no reason at all to think the case by itself indicates a bigger screen. There are already many current cases for the iPhone 4 that have the same design (not wrapping too much around the front). The manufacturer might be making it as open as possible in the front "just in case."

If this case is really telling us about the shape of the 5th gen iPhone and really is accurate, all it really tells us is that the flash is in a different spot and that overall the shape and size is identical to the 4th gen iPhone.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

People are usually more forgiving of mistakes if you're at least polite.

Actually, if you look back at post #15 (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=15) you'll see that foxhunter was the victim of impoliteness, not the perpetrator. But he would have avoided being misidentified if he used the quote feature rather than cut-and-paste.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice photoshop picture.

Or not so nice - the perspective is all wrong

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Actually, if you look back at post #15 (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=15) you'll see that foxhunter was the victim of impoliteness, not the perpetrator. But he would have avoided being misidentified if he used the quote feature rather than cut-and-paste.

And if you look back to post #8...
post #30 of 45
this is exciting, hope it's real
post #31 of 45
"side-to-side screen" ah you mean like on the first generation iPhone?
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

And if you look back to post #8...

I don't know, I kinda took that as an honest mistake. I can understand you maybe thinking he was dissing you but since his response was a simple "I wasn't trying to be a smart ass" it seems unlikely that was his intent.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.

It's obviously just a mockup to show how the case fits and what things look like in general. Obviously it is just an edited iPad screen. Yes it does not make sense why someone would go through the trouble of putting in a Stocks icon (which I can't see actually)... But in Asia it's work overtime, work hurriedly, all with low, low pay... rarely is it work "smart". Whoever made the mockup has some basic 'shop skills but geez, lacks a bit of independent critical thinking. Those app icons in the mockup would be ridiculously tiny even on a 5" screen. And FFS there's no separate Videos app on the iPhone, so it makes no sense being there with the Voice Memos icon and the old iPad iOS 3 background. *sigh* Asia...

However, it does not influence whether the changes are true or not.

In any case this whole "new iPhone" stuff is currently moot for me because of my malfunctioning annoying Home button that apparently will take a month to "fix" by my useless greedy local telco that does not want to provide enough replacement units for customer needs. Like I said, Asia...

Living in the Western world is a poisoned chalice. If you ever have to go back to a "developing" country.
post #34 of 45
The other thing to note is that the flash needs to be moved away from the lens because this was causing trouble with a lot of CASES... The light was bouncing off the cases back into the lens. That's why over the past year case manufacturers have had to adjust the opening for the lens and flash to avoid this problem... Some even advertise this advantage.

I had the issue with my InCase Snap so I couldn't really use the flash in the case but more recently my CaseMate doesn't have this problem.

So this makes sense for Apple to do for the purposes of the white iPhone and what must be quite a lot of complaints from users with cases that muddle up the flash light.
post #35 of 45
Call me crazy but I still see an edge.....LOL. What I'd like to see is a flip phone. And see apple work some kind of miraculous magic to make a screen you can fold. Just like what you can see in the most recent Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. There have been far too many insiders proclaim this up and down. I would also imagine the case to be the real deal too.

I would imagine a huge segment of VZ customers have held off on the iPhone 4 knowing that the new version was a mere months away, including myself. The iPhone 5 with the larger screen and the A5 will be Apple's highest selling device to date. To say it will far outsell the iPhone 4 is a huge understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Yes I do. And also know for a "fact" that you are an ass.

I have to side with the Prof on this one, you're stating your 'opinion' as being a fact based on many rumors you read. Just because many repeat a rumor doesn't make it fact. If you had been a long term AI reader or any other site(s) for that matter you would know this. Calling people names doesn't help your argument or credibility either.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Call me crazy but I still see an edge.....LOL. What I'd like to see is a flip phone. And see apple work some kind of miraculous magic to make a screen you can fold. Just like what you can see in the most recent Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie.

A flip phone, that's so.......................90's.........
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other reports have suggested that Apple will release an iPhone '4S' in September with relatively minor modifications, such as a transition to the A5 chip used in the iPad 2.

Minor modification
post #39 of 45
I would be a BIG GAME CHANGER :-)
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'll still be skipping this refresh and wait until 2012 when my contract is up and then shop my business between providers. I think the i4 is fast enough and has a nice camera for it.

I was hoping to do the same, especially if the rumors for a Sprint version hold true. I was sad to leave Sprint when the 3G came out but what could you do other than not have an iPhone?

Only problem is I had to buy a new phone this past December some I'm stuck for 2 years from that date. My wife is still using her 3G and will probably be pushing for whatever comes out next. Can't say that I would blame her at this point though. Thankfully she's not the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor