or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Old-timers still here?

Old-timers still here?

post #1 of 49
Consider this thread a call-out to any Political Outsiders who have been here for a while. Anyone from pre-2008? Anyone else from 2000-2001? And how 'bout that 2012 Republican prez field? Pretty sorry bunch, right?
post #2 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Consider this thread a call-out to any Political Outsiders who have been here for a while. Anyone from pre-2008? Anyone else from 2000-2001? And how 'bout that 2012 Republican prez field? Pretty sorry bunch, right?

Present. I think I first registered pre-blackout in 1998, maybe 1997.

Who remembers Worker Bee and the "Cabal of Thieves"?

My big memories are the 68k/Miss Tron hoax and Naim posting warnings of 'something huge' pre-9/11.
post #3 of 49
Hey tonton I'm in China right now, probably only a few hours from you.

Yeah I remember some of that. Tha blackout was what, mid 2000? I think it was several months. And then the great schism with Applenova, which really put a dent in appleoutsider.
post #4 of 49
Coming up to my Eighth birthday, and almost my 1k post.

Nothing short of prolific, me!

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #5 of 49
Quote:

You woke me up. What do you want?

I still see Jimmac around. I saw a Powedoc post the other day in the SINGLE thread in AppleOutsider.

I put in a bit of feedback saying that PO/AO should be combined. Part of what might really hurt traffic besides things like the AppleNova exodus is the fact you have to go to a down a couple levels to get here now and one of those levels has zero activity.

How you doing BRussell? Say something provocative enough to force Midwinter to hit his 10,000th post.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #6 of 49
Still here and posting. Been here since before the blackout.

None of the candidates have me all that excited.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #7 of 49
Still around. I have no idea when I originally signed up, but I think it was when AI was first rolled out by macnn. Was here through the multiple blackouts including the one that resulted in lost logins and join dates. Hell, I don't even remember what my user name was before the big blackout.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #8 of 49
What?... are they actually fielding REAL candidates ?
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #9 of 49
Of course I'm still here ( although lately I really have been thinking of leaving ) and have also been posting all along since before the blackout with the same name ( and even over at MacNN during the blackout ). That would be since 1999. And yes the conservative side this time doesn't have much of a line up.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What?... are they actually fielding REAL candidates ?

Yes, the field of candidates is possibly the worst in history. We get to see Newt's genitals up close in the microscope, the details of all of The Donald's bankruptcies, Romney's magic underpants and male-only inner sanctum (would he make the Oval Office male-only?; would he divert a huge chunk of taxes into building an Everest-sized Temple of America?), Ron Paul's Alzheimer's and arthritis assessment as well as his ideas to get rid of the FDA, IRS, NCAA and WTF and allow BP to drill baby drill without any regulation whatsoever...

But at this point the GOP could run a Klan member and still have a chance against Obama, who, trumptman and I agree, has broken every single one of his campaign promises.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yes, the field of candidates is possibly the worst in history. We get to see Newt's genitals up close in the microscope, the details of all of The Donald's bankruptcies, Romney's magic underpants and male-only inner sanctum (would he make the Oval Office male-only?; would he divert a huge chunk of taxes into building an Everest-sized Temple of America?), Ron Paul's Alzheimer's and arthritis assessment as well as his ideas to get rid of the FDA, IRS, NCAA and WTF and allow BP to drill baby drill without any regulation whatsoever...

But at this point the GOP could run a Klan member and still have a chance against Obama, who, trumptman and I agree, has broken every single one of his campaign promises.

I'm starting to wonder if getting in late is an intentional thing for someone out there. The media cycles, Twitter, Facebook and so many other sources move information so fast now. Why deal with putting yourself out there so early and letting the liberal media complex lick their chops and rip you apart for an extra six months? I'm not of the opinion that Donald Trump was ever a real candidate but seriously the timeline for everything related to him was weeks, not months. I suspect that someone could announce a month before the first primaries and still cross the line first during the initial caucuses/primaries.

post #12 of 49
Good point, trumptman.

It's never made sense to me why "they" start campaigning soooooo early. It only serves to make people sick of hearing about them, and costs that much more to run.
You're right that the entire presidential run could be whittled down to just 2-3 months (or less?) with today's communications technology.

I SOOO wish that an independent could have a viable chance... Alas, it's just not possible. (not "the independent party", but a truly independent candidate.)
post #13 of 49
Quote:

Yeah, that's a complete exaggeration. In fact, it's rather bullshit.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...ssive-promises

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/.../promise-kept/

is collated here...

Quote:
He has already passed in pure form, compromised or has in the works 78.6% of his progressive agenda while only failing to complete 8% of his promises.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You woke me up. What do you want?

I still see Jimmac around. I saw a Powedoc post the other day in the SINGLE thread in AppleOutsider.

I put in a bit of feedback saying that PO/AO should be combined. Part of what might really hurt traffic besides things like the AppleNova exodus is the fact you have to go to a down a couple levels to get here now and one of those levels has zero activity.

How you doing BRussell? Say something provocative enough to force Midwinter to hit his 10,000th post.

Has midwinter been around? I remember that he and addabox seemed to quit around the same time as me, a few years ago. And you trumptman will never leave. You are the king of PO.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Still around. I have no idea when I originally signed up, but I think it was when AI was first rolled out by macnn. Was here through the multiple blackouts including the one that resulted in lost logins and join dates. Hell, I don't even remember what my user name was before the big blackout.

I was wondering what your username was back then. I'm pretty sure I was BRussell.
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Still here and posting. Been here since before the blackout.

None of the candidates have me all that excited.

Good to see that you're still around. Well, actually it's bad. I always cry a little inside to know that's another life's hours spent here.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Of course I'm still here ( although lately I really have been thinking of leaving ) and have also been posting all along since before the blackout with the same name ( and even over at MacNN during the blackout ). That would be since 1999. And yes the conservative side this time doesn't have much of a line up.

jimmac!!!! Oh come on, Trump, Palin, Gingrich, and Pawlenty? That's a whole celebrity dancing show in 2013 (line stolen from Jon Stewart I think).
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/.../promise-kept/

is collated here...

Whether he has or not, if he has lost the Tonton's of the world, he has a harder climb to get re-elected.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 49
Quote:

Good to see that you're still around. Well, actually it's bad. I always cry a little inside to know that's another life's hours spent here.

I have come and gone a couple times. Mostly just nudging people a bit. Time spent is much less than hours. Not like in the "Good old days". Grown a lot since then, you?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I'm glad you said it. Health care, financial reform, Iraq, bin Laden, and the list goes on. It's mostly over now, with Republicans in the House - but who knows, that may change. They've proposed and voted for the most radical right wing budget, and that's according to Newt Gingrich, so maybe the Dems will retake the House and hold the Senate. And if the Rs nominate someone the tea party wants they'll really go down in flames.

I'm thinking by 2014, George Soros will be on the Supreme Court, we'll have a new Department of govt run by Acorn, abortion and homosexuality will be mandatory, and Glenn Beck will run out of chalkboard.
post #21 of 49
Quote:

Good point, trumptman.

It's never made sense to me why "they" start campaigning soooooo early. It only serves to make people sick of hearing about them, and costs that much more to run.
You're right that the entire presidential run could be whittled down to just 2-3 months (or less?) with today's communications technology.

It's amazing to me that candidates like Tom Vilsak had already run for prez for months and then dropped out by this time last cycle.
post #22 of 49
Quote:

I have come and gone a couple times. Mostly just nudging people a bit. Time spent is much less than hours. Not like in the "Good old days". Grown a lot since then, you?

Good to hear. I don't see too large a post count by your name.

Ive grown alright, around the waistline.
post #23 of 49
Quote:

Whether he has or not, if he has lost the Tonton's of the world, he has a harder climb to get re-elected.

Nah, not when the Republicans nominate some batshit crazy young-Earth creationist wingnut. Believe me, no "Tonton of the world" wants a repeat of 2000.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #24 of 49
Quote:

I'm glad you said it. Health care, financial reform, Iraq, bin Laden, and the list goes on. It's mostly over now, with Republicans in the House - but who knows, that may change. They've proposed and voted for the most radical right wing budget, and that's according to Newt Gingrich, so maybe the Dems will retake the House and hold the Senate. And if the Rs nominate someone the tea party wants they'll really go down in flames.

I'm thinking by 2014, George Soros will be on the Supreme Court, we'll have a new Department of govt run by Acorn, abortion and homosexuality will be mandatory, and Glenn Beck will run out of chalkboard.

Yup. Obama takes a lot of shit for the compromises he's made (and more shit for things that aren't his fault (such as Gitmo closing as congress blocked the funding to move the bitch)).

He's also restored a lot of our reputation that we had lost in the America Dark Ages. That's pretty fucking important, too.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 49
Quote:

Has midwinter been around? I remember that he and addabox seemed to quit around the same time as me, a few years ago. And you trumptman will never leave. You are the king of PO.

He popped in for one post to declare that anyone who was trying to link the Giffords shooting to the Tea Party was nuts or something of that nature and left again.

I'm also glad to find out I'm immortal.

Quote:
Ive grown alright, around the waistline.

Perhaps time to give up political cycles and take up cycling instead. I lost 40 before turning 40. If I can do it then I know you can because you are are Mr. Awesome!

post #26 of 49
Quote:

I was wondering what your username was back then. I'm pretty sure I was BRussell.

Honestly, I have no idea. I remember someone had some text archives of the old forum. Does anyone remember where those might be these days?

I checked wikipedia and it says AI launched in 1998, but somehow I think it was a couple years earlier.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #27 of 49
Quote:

jimmac!!!! Oh come on, Trump, Palin, Gingrich, and Pawlenty? That's a whole celebrity dancing show in 2013 (line stolen from Jon Stewart I think).

" Dancing With The Scars "

post #28 of 49
I used to be here, but I am almost not here, anymore.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc View Post

I used to be here, but I am almost not here, anymore.

Powerdoc! We need an update with photos!

I too miss folks like midwinter, ShawnJ etc.

I wish we could get all the gang back here if only here and there.

Have a family reunion of sorts

BRussell hey!!!

What up!

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #30 of 49
I lurked during the MacNN/Reality days, and I'm not sure whether I had actually signed up when the Great Blackout occurred.
I know I went to OrangeInsider during the GB and then signed up as soon as AI came back online.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

BRussell hey!!!

What up!

Fellows

I'm in touch with Shawn and he's doing fine. His career really seems to be going well. He's a very, very smart guy.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

BRussell hey!!!

What up!

Fellows

Hello Felowship, nice to see you here. I expect, everything is fine for you and your family.
post #33 of 49
Quote:

My big memories are the 68k/Miss Tron hoax and Naim posting warnings of 'something huge' pre-9/11.

Quote:

Hey tonton I'm in China right now, probably only a few hours from you.

Yeah I remember some of that. Tha blackout was what, mid 2000? I think it was several months. And then the great schism with Applenova, which really put a dent in appleoutsider.

I registered in January of 2000. The blackout must have been in early 2001, because my "new" registered date is "November 2001."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yes, you've been around since before me, I think. As for the GOP field, I disagree. The media is pushing this "they have no one!" line. I think it's far more clear than in 2008. Romney has a huge financial advantage, as does not have to contend with Huckabee taking social/religious conservatives, nor McCain/Guliani taking moderates. Right now he is the man to beat. His effort might be complicated by Mitch Daniels (I find him somewhat vanilla, but I like much of what he has to say) or even Rick Perry...who is being pushed to run. Ron Paul, Pawlenty and even Gingrich are nonstarters.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #34 of 49
I'm not here.
post #35 of 49
hey powerdoc. long time no see. hope life is treating you well.
post #36 of 49
Quote:

The Worker Bee incident was all good fun, and I think someone here got screen caps of the arabic posts that suddenly appeared on the board before 9-11 happened.

I can't honestly say I remember what the Miss Tron thing was about.
post #37 of 49
I still post occasionally, but there's not a whole lot of reason to do so in PO. Pre-blackout there was no PO, and maybe no AO either... I had a different name. I have been on AI since the summer of 99.

I do miss some of the old gang, I guess. I'm about the same age as SPJ... I'm curious if he has managed to get hitched, or what. I turn 30 in July, BTW. GAK.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #38 of 49
Quote:

Good point, trumptman.

I SOOO wish that an independent could have a viable chance... Alas, it's just not possible. (not "the independent party", but a truly independent candidate.)

The 2 year election cycle rules out anyone without a bottomless pocket, and/or support's bottomless pockets. Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss.

Republic? Valiant attempt, no cigar. Try *Oligarchy*.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc View Post

Hello Felowship, nice to see you here. I expect, everything is fine for you and your family.

Yes indeed! My son is 4 years old and my baby girl turned 1 in April! How have you been Cedric?

Respectfully,
Dale

post #40 of 49
Well this is causing me to flashback hardcore. Ha ha ha, oh man I thought I'd be a productive member of society by now. Nope.

As for the republican field of 2012... hello 4 more years of Obama. I'm not hating or anything but shit I wish he broke a little more with Bush foreign policy/domestic security wise.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Old-timers still here?