or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM recalls 1,000 PlayBooks, Nvidia CEO explains slow Android tablet sales

RIM recalls 1,000 PlayBooks, Nvidia CEO explains slow Android tablet sales - Page 3

post #81 of 179
If RIM doesn't play its cards right it will end up like Palm. The problem is that there is so many devices out there that RIM is falling behind. Playbook should have been out two years ago and cost a lot of money but who cares just get it out on the market. RIM is falling behind in the mobile game.
post #82 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I'm not an Android fan at all. Don't own one. Don't want to own one. But I don't laugh at them either.

Apologies if it came across that way. It was a simple sentence though and I think you are reading emotions in that don't exist.
post #83 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But having the ability to play Flash is not a problem!

RIM got one thing right when they said, "Playtime is over."

RIM, PlayBook's playtime is over!
/
/
/

I disagree. I think the Playbook is the most promising of iPad's competitors. Certainly technical hiccups are common for such devices, Apple included, and I don't think anyone would consider it a deal-breaker that a few devices needed to be recalled so early in a product's lifecycle.

That said, RIM should have waited a little longer to bring out a more polished product. Still, if they do get a lot of the kinks out quickly, I think the Playbook might just be one of the survivors.

Bad start but not necessarily game over.
post #84 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I disagree. I think the Playbook is the most promising of iPad's competitors. Certainly technical hiccups are common for such devices, Apple included, and I don't think anyone would consider it a deal-breaker that a few devices needed to be recalled so early in a product's lifecycle.

That said, RIM should have waited a little longer to bring out a more polished product. Still, if they do get a lot of the kinks out quickly, I think the Playbook might just be one of the survivors.

Bad start but not necessarily game over.

Its not about 1000 devices being recalled. If that was out of 3 million that wouldnt be a big deal, but we know the sales are stale. How do we know this? Because it was noted that most were still sitting at Staples.

RiM should created a polished product so that they can earn mindshare out of the gate. They did what Palm and others tried to do and ended up losing everything despite having some very solid ideas.

Do you think RiM can make PlayBook 2: Electric Boogaloo desirable? Im not so sure. Even if it trounce the iPad in every conceivable way (which isnt possible) they now have a bad rep that will be hard to shake.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #85 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I think the big difference, is that people need phones.

Fascinating. I've recently crossed the half century mark and still manage to operate as a fully functioning member of society without a mobile phone and I still manage to meet friends, go on holiday, catch trains, visit my family, go to shows and cook my own food! Nobody needs a mobile phone. The words need and essential have become so debased as shown by the "Essentials" range introduced by Waitrose (a UK supermarket) which includes, in December such essentials as "strawberries, cherries, sweetcorn, baby avocado ... and on and on".

Mobile phones are want items. I just think it helps to have a little reality check from time to time.
post #86 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Apparently amateur hour isn't quite over yet.

perfect. I love it when trash talk gets thrown back in the trash talker's face.
RIM might want to consider terminating that particular advertising campaign until
their product works.
post #87 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...The Good News is that the majority of the 1.000 units are Still In The Channel and have Not Been Sold To End Users!

Exactly, RIM says they have good news and bad news. The bad news is that none of their Playbooks work. The good news is that nobody has noticed.

Talk about making lemonade from lemons...
post #88 of 179

Wow. . . Fewer than 40 million iOS devices?? I thought it was well over 120 million??

That doesn't make any sense at all.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #89 of 179
"Huang also went on to offer a more positive outlook regarding upcoming products. He noted that the initial struggles are just the first batch of Android 3.0 tablets, and improvements will be made."

"So we'd like to thank the first batch of beta testers who dropped serious coin to test our initial batch of crap!"
post #90 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I just don't laugh at the competition.

That's because you're a curmudgeon.
post #91 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Fascinating. I've recently crossed the half century mark and still manage to operate as a fully functioning member of society without a mobile phone and I still manage to meet friends, go on holiday, catch trains, visit my family, go to shows and cook my own food! Nobody needs a mobile phone. The words need and essential have become so debased as shown by the "Essentials" range introduced by Waitrose (a UK supermarket) which includes, in December such essentials as "strawberries, cherries, sweetcorn, baby avocado ... and on and on".

Mobile phones are want items. I just think it helps to have a little reality check from time to time.

I think you are being *far* to literal, certainly to be helpful.. By your literal definition, no one needs anything but oxygen, water, legumes, a loincloth(maybe) and perhaps a bridge to live under.

Yet, I would argue that I need pants, shirts, indoor plumbing and a car. I certainly need computers. Without one, I cannot write software. My job may also dictate needing to be reached, even when away from a landline. Just because you don't need a mobile phone, doesn't mean someone else doesn't either.

Just a reality check.
post #92 of 179
Quote:

That all depends on your perception. Youre perceiving needs at a base level of technically surviving so youve got nutrients(food), water, oxygen, and some sort of shelter from the elements as your only needs.

But tell me what a web designed needs to do his job? A computer and access to the internet to upload/check a site. These are needs for that occupation. Now tell me what a lorry driver needs to do their job? A drivers license is needed.

When people talk of necessities they are talking about the modern world in which they live, not some Ludditism ideal or Maslovian definition.
post #93 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Local file management, file sharing, printing... to name three areas that could be improved. The two first are really one, I guess.

Don't forget the handling of multitasking in a way that allows multiple 'windows' per app. The Pre stuff looks very nice in terms of letting you have more than one new mail open at a time, including multiple browser windows (or tabs or whatever they are) in the multitasking overview. (Oh... cards! That's what they called them!) Anyway, agreed, having competition should drive things forward and there are definitely areas that have room to get better.
post #94 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wow. . . Fewer than 40 million iOS devices?? I thought it was well over 120 million??

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Didnt we already have a lengthy discussion about total unit sales v. installed base?
post #95 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its not about 1000 devices being recalled. If that was out of 3 million that wouldnt be a big deal, but we know the sales are stale. How do we know this? Because it was noted that most were still sitting at Staples.

RiM should created a polished product so that they can earn mindshare out of the gate. They did what Palm and others tried to do and ended up losing everything despite having some very solid ideas.

Do you think RiM can make PlayBook 2: Electric Boogaloo desirable? Im not so sure. Even if it trounce the iPad in every conceivable way (which isnt possible) they now have a bad rep that will be hard to shake.

Mmmm...

Where can I get one of those Electric Boogaloos?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #96 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

perfect. I love it when trash talk gets thrown back in the trash talker's face.
RIM might want to consider terminating that particular advertising campaign until
their product works.

Mmmmm....

Where can I get one of these PlayPens?

post #97 of 179
snippet from quote
Quote:

Now tell me what a lorry driver needs to do their job? A driver’s license is needed.

Lorry?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #98 of 179
Quote:

More power to you, but you are a one in probably 10-million person these days, no joke.

Its isn't essential like water. And perhaps that isn't QUITE the right term, but you are getting into semantics because I'm sure you understand exactly what I'm saying.

Your lifestyle, whether you want to admit it or not, is extremely rare.

That you dont own a cell phone and contribute to online discussion forums? Well, I dont even want to attempt to put a number to how rare that likely is.
post #99 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Don't forget the handling of multitasking in a way that allows multiple 'windows' per app. The Pre stuff looks very nice in terms of letting you have more than one new mail open at a time, including multiple browser windows (or tabs or whatever they are) in the multitasking overview. (Oh... cards! That's what they called them!) Anyway, agreed, having competition should drive things forward and there are definitely areas that have room to get better.

Not thick. I would bet quite a bit that when most people are thinking about tablet(or even a PC) think, "I hope it multitasks well". And few, I would further wager, care if you can run a 2" video while browsing your album lists.

What people, IMO, want to do is listen to music while browsing. Then, if email chimes, go to that email, them go back to browsing, at the same spot.

That's it.

Whenever I watch people use computer, almost all of them, run apps full screen, and tend to shutdown things when they finish and restart them when I want to use them again. As long as certain tasks(printing, music, IM, etc) can be run simultaneously, most people don't are about things like cards.

I suspect that the Playbook, Touchpad and Android vendors will learn this lesson this year. Whether they learn from it is a different matter.
post #100 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple did a very difficult but successful maneuver on the parallel bars and made it look really easy... the other kids on the block thought there was nothing to it, tried to do it themselves and the results have been contusions, concussions, lacerations, 3rd degree burns and broken bones.

That is the definition of professional. To do something hard but make it look easy.

R I M

Please take " Note "
post #101 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I use Pages on the iPad every day all day and it's seriously lacking. It's not feature complete ...

I don't have Pages for iPad myself though I've thought of getting it many times. Given that Apple's iOS versions of Mail, Calendar, the App Store, Spotlight, Safari and Address Book, to name the most obvious are nowhere near as feature rich as their desktop versions, what were you expecting to find in the iOS version of Pages that is 'seriously lacking'? I assume that you read Apple's entries for Pages in the App Store and their web site to see its capabilities before purchase...

Apple guidelines to Developers, which are available on their web site (though the average user would have to search unfamiliar places to find them) advises that developers should consider the core aspects of their OS X application when bringing it to iOS and be aware that 80% of the users will probably be satisfied with the core 20% of the functionality. They stress many times that careful consideration is required and that simply dumping the entire Mac application onto the iPad is the wrong way to do it.

The OS X version is double the price too, so something had to give. Have you found an app on the iPad from another developer that has the features you need which are missing from Pages?
post #102 of 179
Quote:

More power to you, but you are a one in probably 10-million person these days, no joke.

Its isn't essential like water. And perhaps that isn't QUITE the right term, but you are getting into semantics because I'm sure you understand exactly what I'm saying.

That you dont own a cell phone and contribute to online discussion forums? Well, I dont even want to attempt to put a number to how rare that likely is.

BTW I went and checked:

70% of the world population, 97% of US population are cell phone subscribers.

Of course when you adjust that number accounting for say, kids under 10, the incarcerated, maybe people with extensive care needs.....

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if my number wasn't all that off the mark.
post #103 of 179
Quote:

BTW I went and checked:

Of course when you adjust that number accounting for say, kids under 10, the incarcerated, maybe people with extensive care needs.....

Don't be so quick to discount the incarcerated.
post #104 of 179
Quote:

Didnt we already have a lengthy discussion about total unit sales v. installed base?

I'll see if I can go back and find it. Perhaps then it will make sense why they're only stating there's 40 Million active iOS devices.
post #105 of 179
Quote:

BTW I went and checked:

Your point is valid but I think those number represent handset to population, not to the percent of the population with handsets. Many countries that never had good land lines are over 100%.
post #106 of 179
Quote:

But tell me what a web designed needs to do his job? A computer and access to the internet to upload/check a site. These are needs for that occupation. Now tell me what a lorry driver needs to do their job? A drivers license is needed.

I agree with you completely there; to be web developer you need a computer. To be a lorry driver you will need a lorry. To be a pilot you will need a plane. To be a scuba diver you will need a wet suit and oxygen tanks. However, I was not talking about any of these, I was talking about mobile phones. The requirements you mention are implicit in the job.

Is there some job in 2011 that needs a mobile phone (apart from someone selling them or writing apps for them) that didn't even exist, say, 10 or so years ago when hardly anyone apart from the "jet set" would have had a mobile phone? Making a job 'more convenient' is not the same thing, which was my point.
post #107 of 179
Quote:

I don't have Pages for iPad myself though I've thought of getting it many times. Given that Apple's iOS versions of Mail, Calendar, the App Store, Spotlight, Safari and Address Book, to name the most obvious are nowhere near as feature rich as their desktop versions, what were you expecting to find in the iOS version of Pages that is 'seriously lacking'? I assume that you read Apple's entries for Pages in the App Store and their web site to see its capabilities before purchase...

Apple guidelines to Developers, which are available on their web site (though the average user would have to search unfamiliar places to find them) advises that developers should consider the core aspects of their OS X application when bringing it to iOS and be aware that 80% of the users will probably be satisfied with the core 20% of the functionality. They stress many times that careful consideration is required and that simply dumping the entire Mac application onto the iPad is the wrong way to do it.

The OS X version is double the price too, so something had to give. Have you found an app on the iPad from another developer that has the features you need which are missing from Pages?

You are really a funny guy, In one of your posts above you state, that you don't, own a mobile phone (or smart phone etc),. Now you say you own an iPad, which some of this forum see as nothing but a big iPhone. Well I disagree with those completely. I say the iPad is a lot more then an iPhone. but if needed, it can do almost all, that an iPhone can do.
post #108 of 179
Quote:

I would think that there is more to my lifestyle, or that of anyone on here come to that, than whether they do or don't own a mobile phone. What about whole of the remainder of your life?
post #109 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

You are really a funny guy, In one of your posts above you state, that you don't, own a mobile phone (or smart phone etc),. Now you say you own an iPad, which some of this forum see as nothing but a big iPhone. Well I disagree with those completely. I say the iPad is a lot more then an iPhone. but if needed, it can do almost all, that an iPhone can do.

You think that's funny? I've owned a Macintosh since 1984 and have just ordered a brand new Thunderbolt version to bring me into 64bit Nirvana, I have an iPod touch and an iPad and I'm a software developer, but don't have a mobile. Now that's funny! It does lead to some very weird conversations with people though ...

An iPad is not a big iPhone. The entire reason for getting a mobile phone is to make and receive phones calls and I suppose, text messages. My iPad will do neither of those without extra software and probably a bit of hardware too and it would not be integrated into the entire device and would annoy the hell out of anyone who tried to use it for that purpose more than a few times I'd imagine!

Someone said brilliantly on the AI forums a while ago that "saying an iPad is a big iPhone is like saying a swimming pool is just a big bath".
post #110 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Not really. They just need to be good enough to offer a viable alternative. Android phones fumbled around for awhile at first, but now are giving Apple some competition. They didn't "leapfrog" the iPhone. They offered good options as an alternative.

Believe it or not, not everyone drinks the Apple Kool-Aid. Some people want choices which Apple refuse to offer. And I know a growing number of people who are anti-Apple because of that lack of choice and the "my way or the highway" attitude. Sure, Apple has the best option right now, but that doesn't mean it fits everyone's needs.

Apple has been this way since day one in 1977. And you are just now becoming anti-Apple? Where have you been and why are you still here then? Talk about cognitive disonance! Wow!
post #111 of 179
Quote:

I would think that there is more to my lifestyle, or that of anyone on here come to that, than whether they do or don't own a mobile phone. What about whole of the remainder of your life?

Really? Again with the semantics.

How about that particular lifestyle choice (not owning a cell phone)....I really dont care to speculate on the entire lifestyle of complete strangers as if I know them.

I am CLEARLY talking about your choice of not owning a cell phone and nothing else.
post #112 of 179
Quote:

I agree with you completely there; to be web developer you need a computer. To be a lorry driver you will need a lorry. To be a pilot you will need a plane. To be a scuba diver you will need a wet suit and oxygen tanks. However, I was not talking about any of these, I was talking about mobile phones. The requirements you mention are implicit in the job.

Is there some job in 2011 that needs a mobile phone (apart from someone selling them or writing apps for them) that didn't even exist, say, 10 or so years ago when hardly anyone apart from the "jet set" would have had a mobile phone? Making a job 'more convenient' is not the same thing, which was my point.

I would argue that any job where timely communication is the difference between winning the business and losing it.

I am a software developer. However, I give my cell phone number to my customers, because if something happens and they need rapid response, they can reach me. I consider that, as a contractor, necessary to show that I will provide excellent support.

That, in turn, keeps the invoices paid.
post #113 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'll see if I can go back and find it. Perhaps then it will make sense why they're only stating there's 40 Million active iOS devices.

1. U.S. only
2. People, not devices. If I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and iPod Touch, I count as 1 of those 40 million.
post #114 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

I would argue that any job where timely communication is the difference between winning the business and losing it.

I am a software developer. However, I give my cell phone number to my customers, because if something happens and they need rapid response, they can reach me. I consider that, as a contractor, necessary to show that I will provide excellent support.

That, in turn, keeps the invoices paid.

You may well be right there. My idea of "timeley communications" and yours and that of others maybe out of sync I'll grant you A response the same day is fine by me. Unless it was a 999 call! (911 for our US friends)
post #115 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarina View Post

1. U.S. only
2. People, not devices. If I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and iPod Touch, I count as 1 of those 40 million.

That could be it. Thanks.

In that case the linked article wouldn't be saying much about the number of Android vs. iOS devices then, at least nothing factual. Suppose you could guess/extrapolate to get some indication. Not that it really matters all that much except as a point of contention for a few posters. I'll go back and re-read to confirm.
post #116 of 179
Quote:

I think you are drawing an artificial line through technology. Let me ask you this: Do we need agriculture? Do we need animal husbandry? Humans have serviced longer throughout history following the herds than they have since these technologies were invested. They are an intricate part of society so much so that it could not function the same without it. In fact, it would not exist without it.

The cell phone is just another technology. It's newer and less entrenched as a core necessity but that doesn't make it any less necessary to those that rely on it. Look at it as a way to facilitate communication. Just like landlines and the telegraph before it, and language as a whole before it. It's a part of modern society. Can you remove communication from society and have it still function the same? I don't think you can.
post #117 of 179
Quote:

To answer your last question, first -- Yes: Bezier Curves/Shapes, Masks and layers.

There are several iPad apps with excellent implementations of these features.

I don't know if many people understand that OS X Pages is much more than a WP app -- it is also a very sophisticated Drawing app.

With OS X pages, for instance you can do a very sophisticated collage of images -- masked with shapes, including Bezier cutout masks of images. I have several $300-range Mac Drawing apps that don't equal Pages capabilities for collages.

You can have irregular masks to images, Each image and mask's size is individually re-adjustable. Each image's properties (brightness, color, tint, etc.) is individually adjustable. All original Image properties are retained and can be reverted to.

Here are some examples -- these are low-quality web images and appear dark (the originals are 16" x 20" posters):

My late wife Lucy -- the love of my life

My Granddaughter Marlowe

A Work In Progress of my Grandson Braden's soccer team

post #118 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I completely agree with this.

I'm a sort of "edge case" iPad user in that I use mine almost exclusively as a productivity device. It's basically my main portable computer like a netbook or a laptop. I know most don't use the iPad that way, but the point is more and more people will over time if it's ever to replace traditional laptops (and I totally think they can). If Apple doesn't get the finger out and attack the productivity issue soon it might be too late.

Apple really needs to move iOS in the direction of productivity and personally I'm hoping that's what iOS 5 is all about because if it isn't, they might not have another year of lollygagging around by the other manufacturers to do that. I use Pages on the iPad every day all day and it's seriously lacking. It's not feature complete, and when it first came out it was essentially a beta product. So far they've release a single, weak update that added in a few thing that were missing from the beta (but not all), and some bug fixes. That's it.

Hell, DoodleJump on my iPhone must have been updated and patched literally 20 times in the same amount of time it got Apple to put out the single bug-fix to Pages. Pages is obviously a more complicated and involved app, but Pages is supposed to be the leading productivity app on the platform. If this is the best they can do then the iPad really is just a toy.

I think it's kind of embarrassing how little Apple has done on this front, but I'm still assuming that they are working on a big update that will surprise us all soon. I can't imagine what the hell they are thinking if they are not.

Right on! Good to hear you actually being honest about Apple's weak productivity offering, without any RDF. I don't use Pages or Numbers very much at all, but my one big issue is no file system or coding support. I do code all day long and it would be really nice to be able to duplicate, rename, and open a php or js file, edit it and upload to a server. I realize there are VNC desktop apps but I don't want to fight the full desktop navigation on the iPad. I just want direct access to the simple text file. If they could do that, the iPad would be very handy indeed for quick fixes to my websites while on the go.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #119 of 179
Quote:

Really? Again with the semantics.

How about that particular lifestyle choice (not owning a cell phone)....I really dont care to speculate on the entire lifestyle of complete strangers as if I know them.

I am CLEARLY talking about your choice of not owning a cell phone and nothing else.

I wasn't try to play semantics I just don't consider using a mobile phone as a lifestyle in itself. But then I probably out of touch with what constitutes a lifestyle these days. Hey ho ...
post #120 of 179
Quote:

Motorola, a prominent and well known vendor using Android, had a loss of $81 million. But at least its better than the $212 million loss for that same quarter a year ago.

Does that mean that Android is better than Blackberry? The losses are a lot less after all...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM recalls 1,000 PlayBooks, Nvidia CEO explains slow Android tablet sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM recalls 1,000 PlayBooks, Nvidia CEO explains slow Android tablet sales