or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More evidence suggests Apple has plans for 10th anniversary of retail

More evidence suggests Apple has plans for 10th anniversary of retail - Page 2

post #41 of 93
I hope it's not just that iCloud stuff, because that sounds boring. If it's only for music, then that sucks. Apple should do something useful with their huge facility in North Carolina and release something to compete with things like dropbox.

Maybe Apple will release a limited edition hardware something. They've done it in the past, so why not now for the 10th retail anniversary.
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

new macPro's ditching xeon for sandy bridge.
that's my guess.

Xeon is a family name, Sandy Bridge is an architecture. They aren't two separate entities. There are Sandy Bridge based Xeons, and the Mac Pro will likely get it soon, as has always been the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...ver_processors
post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

I'm hoping for the 52nd generation iPod Classic, or will it be branded iPod Geriatric!

I don't care though, I want a proper iPod!

52'nd?

I'd be excited for a surprise iPod Classic refresh on that date, although I don't think its that likely to be what it is given the commotion over that date, its just not a product that would garner that much first day excitement.
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Are retail stores open on Sunday in the US? Does this mean that the stores might not be open Sunday morning?

Also I wonder how this is going to play out for Canadians as the 23rd is a holiday.

That's right. It is quinney's birthday.
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

It would be funny if Apple delivered the iPhone 5 while everyone else said they were delayed until September.

This of course won't happen...but I would absolutely love it if it did.
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

I agree. But 50 inch Apple TVs might be later this year or in 2012. My bet is
#1 iCloud
#2 Apple TVs

With a 10 year anniversary, hell, you could see both.

I don't think a better ATV will require intensive training...unless...it now has apps? Mmmm, that makes me happy to think about.
post #47 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I don't think a better ATV will require intensive training...unless...it now has apps? Mmmm, that makes me happy to think about.

But youll need an SDK and demos for both the devs and consumers to get behind the idea of apps on a TV done right. There is no way this could be introduced on a Sunday.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #48 of 93
Quote:

This of course won't happen...but I would absolutely love it if it did.

On second thought, if they do just come out with an iPhone 4s, then this is a possibility. But I still think we will be waiting until September...unfortunately. Too bad though, because I am in need of a new phone asap.
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, a quote from the forums from 2004. How's that going for you?

There's no sense in Apple making their own TV.

We shall see.And you shall be renamed crow eating shortest skil.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #50 of 93
The report mentions hardware to install. Doesn't indicate whether that means backlit posters or product but it's interesting.

What could Apple keep a secret that would be a big deal? A5 Apple TV with full App Store and iOS devices as controllers? Would be HUGE but require little in the way of retooling.

Just plucking an idea out the air but I for one don't underestimate Apple's ability to surprise, and I think they'll want to prove they can still evade the leaks and shock us when they really want to at some stage!
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that makes sense even though its getting harder for me to imagine Apple selling .Mac/MobileMe-like boxes to customers. However, if they do plan on selling iCloud services through 3rd-parties, like Amazon, they will need a physical product with a redeem code.

PS: Would they leverage iCloud as a download in Mac App Store to help promote it or an update via Software Update the way they did with .Mac to MobileMe?

My guess is that there will be no physical media for iCloud. Either it will be free as a way to get people into the Apple ecosystem and add value to existing hardware (this is what I think, with perhaps pay to upgrade to more iCloud storage space or a subscription for streaming media), or there will be some fee that can be billed online.

Perhaps iCloud will make it easy to share documents and media between iOS and OSX as well. For example, if I write a document on my iPad using Pages and save it, its automatically saved to iCloud. When I get home, I open Pages on my mac, and it's right there in my 'open recent documents' list. This would be great because among other things, it also opens up a whole world of printers that aren't AirPrint enabled.

And say my company uses an iPad ap and deploys a fleet of iPads throughout the enterprise, it would be a great way to easily sync field data collection (be it insurance claim forms, sales info, whatever) with the home office, or have it instantly available to you when you logged on to your primary computer.

This would also be great in the opposite direction. For example, video editing. Use Final Cut Pro on a mac. Save a reel of dailies to iCloud, and now everyone on the project can instantly stream dailies on their iPads. Or just make it easier to collaborate.

I think that iCloud (or whatever it is) will try to be an all-encompassing framework for both iTunes type media consumption/distribution/streaming as well as supporting the enterprise and enable a new way to incorporate the iPad into your daily workflow. Perhaps some parts of it will be free and others will require purchase or subscription.

And if Apple can make it work with little to no set-up or headaches, I think it would also enhance the value of the whole software-hardware ecosystem. If you can effortlessly move from your iMac at the desk to the iPad in the field or on the couch, it makes both products more appealing.
post #52 of 93
Quote:

I think that makes sense even though its getting harder for me to imagine Apple selling .Mac/MobileMe-like boxes to customers. However, if they do plan on selling iCloud services through 3rd-parties, like Amazon, they will need a physical product with a redeem code.

PS: Would they leverage iCloud as a download in Mac App Store to help promote it or an update via Software Update the way they did with .Mac to MobileMe?

I meant in-store discount on Apple hardware (e.g., 10% off iPods, iMacs, iPhones, etc if purchased in a brick-and-mortar store), for a limited time.
post #53 of 93
edit...
post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

They will be locking the staff in to rehearse this routine!

I love it so much! I had forgotten about all the sad stunts Microsoft tried and failed over the past year or so. Remember the fake funeral? Another classic!
post #55 of 93
I realized that most likely I see a internal renovation of how the store may be lain out. It actually makes most sense since they need new training for a new layout and need a night to move everything around.

Remember the rumor of less physical software area?
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, a quote from the forums from 2004. How's that going for you?

There's no sense in Apple making their own TV.

Of course it makes sense. It is the missing piece for connecting the ecosystem to everyone's living room. Sure they have the AppleTV but for now they are creating what will be integrated into the TV. Apple has pricing power on panels and people will pay a premium for a quality display.

I give it less than two years.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

Of course it makes sense. It is the missing piece for connecting the ecosystem to everyone's living room. Sure they have the AppleTV but for now they are creating what will be integrated into the TV. Apple has pricing power on panels and people will pay a premium for a quality display.

1. Why arent they paying extra for a quality display now?
  2. What sizes will they come in?
  3. What panel types will they be?
  4. What about the 20 I want in my bathroom or 30 I want in my guest bedroom?
  5. What is so inconvenient about about buying one of hundreds of TVs and putting the input so its always on the AppleTV?
  6. If its about saving that god awful chore of switching inputs how is that reduced if I still have to switch inputs for my cable box/satellite/DVR/Blu-ray player?
  7. Why are you against Apple creating a more robust AppleTV that is the input for your cable box/satellite/DVR and the TV stays as it already is a dumb monitor that you dont fiddle with?
  8. How will they compete with big box stores that have the space to store hundreds of large TVs in every possible size?
  9. If you say they will carry only a few in their stores and have size that fits a narrow view of consumers how will they possibly make a profit off such low sales?
  10. If you say that they will sell these online what will be the shipping costs, who will install them, and how will you get them to an Apple Store for service the way you can with the current AppleTV?
  11. Where is the financial benefit to Apple when they only sold 1M AppleTVs last quarter that are only $99 and connect to any and all monitors and TVs with an HDMI port?
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

iCloud? I really don't think so since this a retail thing they have to set up for... If anything it should be a physical product

Don't count on that. if it is the revamped Mobile Me with music streaming etc then they will want it to be trumpeted because they want it to seem like a big huge deal. And there's nothing like the black curtain treatment to make folks go check out whatever cause Apple gave it the black curtain.

They just released new ipads, laptops and iMacs. ipods are likely still in september and the lack of rumors about the iphone suggests that it will be June or after not before. so aside from perhaps a size increase on the time capsules there's little else physical to release.

It's also possible that the big to do is merely internal stuff and they are putting up the curtain because they don't want the public being able to photograph stuff or bang on doors and disturbing folks. Perhaps they might also hang some new banners that mention the anniversary of the stores. But nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarks11 View Post

Just icloud going active wouldn't require employees to work extra shifts 20-22 May.

No one ever said there would be more staff on those days. When that whole thing started the Boys at Cupe probably hadn't decided what day they were going to do whatever so they wanted to ensure that the whole staff would be there. Thus no vacation or day off requests would be honored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

They will be locking the staff in to rehearse this routine!

I hope they remember the shoplifter. THat's a key part of the routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The report mentions hardware to install.

could be new banners. more demo machines, anything. Heck it could be internal use hardware like more employees with ipads on the floor or some such. I've been in a couple of stores over the last week and I've noticed that they are really pushing some computerized wait list thing where I guess the employees get alerts that someone is waiting and who is next. So it might have something to do with that whole to do.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #59 of 93
What about Lion?
post #60 of 93
Quote:

What about Lion?

It's not a circus

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple may be planning something that coincides with the tenth anniversary, but I very highly doubt Apple is planning to specifically recognize the anniversary.

After the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh passed without fanfare, it became pretty clear that Steve doesn't hold occasions for such things.

Try looking up 20th anniversary Mac on the Google. It was in recognition of Apple's 20th anniversary rather than the Mac's but it does exist.
post #62 of 93
Quote:

But youll need an SDK and demos for both the devs and consumers to get behind the idea of apps on a TV done right. There is no way this could be introduced on a Sunday.

Sure it could. Recall how the iPhone was released without any 3rd party apps, SDK's or demos. Apple would want to provide a clear direction with in house apps that set a standard for a new way to interact with a 'simple' TV remote. Training for a third interface paradigm (fourth if you include command line interface with mouse/keyboard, multitouch, and remote control or whatever the new one might be) could justify the added training time. Of course Microsoft has its media center computer, Google has its Google TV but this new Apple product would be easily distinguished just like the iPad is so different from all the preceding tablets.

Yep, I'm going to predict a new TV product available only through Apple Stores (initially) because they just aren't crowded enough already.
post #63 of 93
Maybe, just maybe... Apple expects it to be a busy weekend because in Canada stores are closed that Monday.
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Sure it could. Recall how the iPhone was released without any 3rd party apps, SDK's or demos. Apple would want to provide a clear direction with in house apps that set a standard for a new way to interact with a 'simple' TV remote. Training for a third interface paradigm (fourth if you include command line interface with mouse/keyboard, multitouch, and remote control or whatever the new one might be) could justify the added training time. Of course Microsoft has its media center computer, Google has its Google TV but this new Apple product would be easily distinguished just like the iPad is so different from all the preceding tablets.

Yep, I'm going to predict a new TV product available only through Apple Stores (initially) because they just aren't crowded enough already.

1) No, Apple announced the iPhone with a full on demo.

2) No, Apple released 3rd-party apps and an SDK with a full on demo.

3) Offering a new AppleTV HW, say, updated to A5 would still be using the same iOS so its not like it would be a new OS which they did with a full on demo both times.
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

They will be serving cake.
For those who are still alive.

Yay! for the rare Portal reference on these boards. Now back to the testing!
post #66 of 93
I have it from reliable sources that they have seen the writing on the wall. Jobs has decided if you can't beat them join them, and will be releasing an iPhone running android 2.3

At last, an iPhone worth owning.
post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I have it from reliable sources that they have seen the writing on the wall. Jobs has decided if you can't beat them join them, and will be releasing an iPhone running android 2.3

At last, an iPhone worth owning.

Yes and you really are SselNairb.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #68 of 93
Releasing OS X Lion seems the obvious choice. Maybe if there was a reason why it would be good if lots of people had Lion BEFORE WWDC.....

Personally I think the way to celebrate 10 years would be a limited edition product. Maybe a limited edition RED iPhone, with 10% of profit going to charity. THAT would draw crowds.

On the other hand, if Apple are sitting on billions of dollars cash, maybe everyone who presents at an Apple Store with an iOS device gets a voucher for $100!

Plus $5 Skype credit and a GoogleTV.
post #69 of 93
post #70 of 93
Maybe a model of damn near anything, that was designed by Steve Jobs, and is signed by Steve Jobs, and is seen as a Steve Jobs Model (iPhone, iPad, Laptop)

I could be wrong, but why in hell would CROWDS of people go to the Apple store for iCloud?

It WILL be new
It WILL be cool
it WILL be exciting
It WILL be talked about

Or will it?

Hell with all of the hype leading up to it, it could be nothing more then (as pointed out earlier) a 10th Anniversary t-shirt, and YES we know crowds will be there for it.

Skip
post #71 of 93
Apple announces 'one size fits all' : A mini-like base with modules atop; one module - basic; two modules - intermediate; three modules - pro. Two monitors: one 27"; the other a 21". Production costs plummet and prices drop. Apple stock soars to record high.

Whoa, that's strong stuff I've been inhaling.
ADS
ADS
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstr View Post

HumancentiPad!

Will this be US only or UK as well?

I like your style!!!

Anything think new MobileMe or will that be put in with the iCloud?
post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I could be wrong, but why in hell would CROWDS of people go to the Apple store for iCloud?

That would be plain bizarre. "Hey everyone, come to our physical Apple Stores... Where we'll show you what you can access anywhere, anytime through the Cloud!".
post #74 of 93
BoyGenius should have details posted up later today, tweeting an Apple exclusive.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

We shall see.And you shall be renamed crow eating shortest skil.

Or you could give me one logical reason the past seven years don't fit with my standpoint and obviously fit with yours.

Or something easier: one logical reason for Apple to do this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

Same quote from everyone saying this since 2004. You'll have to do better than that.

Quote:

1. Why arent they paying extra for a quality display now?
  2. What sizes will they come in?
  3. What panel types will they be?
  4. What about the 20 I want in my bathroom or 30 I want in my guest bedroom?
  5. What is so inconvenient about about buying one of hundreds of TVs and putting the input so its always on the AppleTV?
  6. If its about saving that god awful chore of switching inputs how is that reduced if I still have to switch inputs for my cable box/satellite/DVR/Blu-ray player?
  7. Why are you against Apple creating a more robust AppleTV that is the input for your cable box/satellite/DVR and the TV stays as it already is a dumb monitor that you dont fiddle with?
  8. How will they compete with big box stores that have the space to store hundreds of large TVs in every possible size?
  9. If you say they will carry only a few in their stores and have size that fits a narrow view of consumers how will they possibly make a profit off such low sales?
  10. If you say that they will sell these online what will be the shipping costs, who will install them, and how will you get them to an Apple Store for service the way you can with the current AppleTV?
  11. Where is the financial benefit to Apple when they only sold 1M AppleTVs last quarter that are only $99 and connect to any and all monitors and TVs with an HDMI port?

Stop making sense, they won't listen anyway.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Apple announces 'one size fits all' : A mini-like base with modules atop; one module - basic; two modules - intermediate; three modules - pro. Two monitors: one 27"; the other a 21". Production costs plummet and prices drop. Apple stock soars to record high.

Whoa, that's strong stuff I've been inhaling.

I desperately need to replace my 2003 vintage Power Mac G5 and don't have much $$$.
I would be happy if they would release an updated Mini!
post #77 of 93
Quote:

Leave-freeze, blackout screens, overnight vigil, staff training, early-morning prayers, new hardware, new products, staff phones and cameras locked in a safe and NDA's to be signed by staff already under NDA's?

What can this mean? Apple can't bring out any new version of its current hardware, unless it's the next iPhone. Some entirely new product range that no-one has envisaged? Perhaps, but more likely it is some new software brought to current hardware that makes it a "Game Changer"?

Of course, there is one Apple hardware product that currently runs some Apple software, but not a lot, and that is the AppleTV. The AirPlay functionality has recently allowed the AppleTV to let iPads control HD TV's in terms of media. So my guess is that new software for the AppleTV lets it run games on an attached HDTV, using an iPad as a controller, and that some of that functionality relies on the new Apple server farm.

My next guess is that the "Bumper iPhone Case" now has a chip embedded that will allow you to use your iPhone as a credit card to pay for all this game playing .....
post #78 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

new macPro's ditching xeon for sandy bridge.
that's my guess.

Ditch the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, replacing it with a Sandy Bridge-based tower that is configurable to meet a wide range of needs.

This device would be much smaller than the Mac Pro but larger than the Mini, using desktop components that provide far more bang for the buck than the laptop components in the Mini.

The server version of the Mini would remain but be provided with a Sandy Bridge update.

Think headless iMac.

The key to all of this would be that with Thunderbolt, expanding outside the basic box is now viable with excellent performance potential.

This new machine would start at let's say $799 (Cdn.) with the 2.5Ghz Quad-Core Intel i5, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB. In other words the pieces found in the entry iMac minus the input devices and monitor. The next step up would be a $1099 version with a 2.7 i5 a 1TB hard drive and the Radeon 5770M with 512MB and then top it off with a 3.1Ghz quad-core and the 6879M with a 1GB for $1,399. Maybe offer even more hosrepower via BTO options.

I can't imagine that there would be that many potential customers who would be upset over such offerings because on the low end, for not much more money one could have a lot more computer and on the top end, for considerably less money, not much less computer.

As it stands, both ends of the spectrum are not being well-served by current offerings. Maybe there was a time when what Apple had done made sense but that time has passed. This anniversary would be a great time to correct the situation. Brand new form factor and a simplification of Apple's monitor-less desktop offerings. What's not to like. Besides, with both products not having been undated in almost a year, they're overdue.
post #79 of 93
My personal wild guess? The latest iPhone with larger display. And if BGR is correct, NFC?
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

xMac spiel

You know why the Macintosh 128k didn't have any expansion? Because Steve Jobs didn't want people messing around with HIS computer.

The xMac won't exist until Steve is gone. Even then, there's no reason for it to exist. You're less than 10% of the population. EVERYONE ELSE couldn't care less about upgrading their machines, and the iMac is perfectly fine for any of them.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More evidence suggests Apple has plans for 10th anniversary of retail