or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sources: Apple gearing up for back-to-school promotion as early as next week

Sources: Apple gearing up for back-to-school promotion as early as next week

post #1 of 51
Apple as early as next week will once again announce its annual back-to-school promotion that has historically offered a free or discounted iOS device to customers purchasing of a new Mac, an event that may prove to be one of the main topics of discussion at the much-hyped employee meetings set to be held at the company's retail stores this Sunday.

People familiar with the Apple's retail operations have told AppleInsider that the company is currently gearing up for its yearly educational promotion. The news comes as numerous reports have revealed that Apple has scheduled early 7 a.m. store meetings with employees this coming Sunday, May 22.

Given that lack of details surrounding those meetings, expectations among industry watchers have run wild, as this Thursday will mark the tenth anniversary of Apple's highly successful retail operations. The first two stores opened in Virginia and California on May 19, 2001.

The planned meetings, combined with the 10-year milestone, have led to speculation that Apple could launch its said-to-be-completed cloud music service. Another report even claimed that Apple could introduce wireless near-field communication payments in its stores this weekend.

But with the annual back-to-school sale set to kick off as soon as next week, the educational promotion is potentially a more likely subject for Sunday's meetings. Additionally, other people familiar with next week's plans say some of the materials and shipments rumored to be making their way to stores around the same time will be part of 'procedural changes' to the way the shops run or operate, rather than new products customers could buy.

As for the company's annual promotion, the timing would fit with years past. Last year's promotion was announced on Tuesday, May 25, and gave students and school faculty the ability to receive a free 8GB iPod touch with the purchase of a Mac.

The offer was a relatively ho-hum affair, with a $949 starting price for the low-end MacBook that was higher than in years past. At the time, the 8GB iPod touch also carried a lower price of $199, though the new FaceTime-enabled 8GB model is now $229.

Previous back-to-school sales also began around the same time, with the 2009 promotion starting on Wednesday, May 27. The 2008 promo launched a bit later, on Monday, June 2, while the 2007 offer made headlines on Tuesday, June 5. The sales typically run until the first week of September, just before new iPod models go on sale.
post #2 of 51
Been looking forward to this. Picking up a new 21.5 inch iMac for myself and a 27 incher for my parents.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #3 of 51
Would be pretty cool if you buy a Mac and get a decent discount on an iPad.
post #4 of 51
In years past, did you need any proof that you're a student to get the deal?

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.

At least you're honest about your dishonesty...

Have you ever considered a career in politics?
post #6 of 51
So some people are claiming that Apple will have a 'back-to-school' promotion before school even lets out?

This is getting to be like stores that put Christmas stuff out a month before Halloween.
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

So some people are claiming that Apple will have a 'back-to-school' promotion before school even lets out?

This is getting to be like stores that put Christmas stuff out a month before Halloween.

My thoughts exactly except around here in the mid-West the Xmas stuff goes on sale after Labor Day and lasts unit late january, making nearly 5 full months of gimme gimme gimme.

Sheesh, when I was growing up in the 40s and 50s, no one ever even tried to put Xmas stuff out until the day after Thanksgiving. You have to wonder how starting so early increases sales.

And for Apple to do this BtoS stuff in May? I find it very disingenuous and crass.

Oh wait, it's in Q3 so it helps the Q3 numbers. Then in Q4 they advertise specials for those who are actually returning to school. then there's Xmas in Q1 of next year. Or do I have the quarters all mixed up?
post #8 of 51
Quote:

Not to mention the fact that the whole purpose of the back to school sale is to blow out old stock so they can sell the new product.

If they do this in May, then that suggests a new iPod touch product sooner than September.
post #9 of 51
If you check the education pricing right now, you'll see that the MacBook is now discounted to $899. It's regularly $949 for students. Weird thing though, it still only lists this as a $50 savings, not $100.
post #10 of 51
Quote:

Most colleges let out in mid-May. It's nice to get BTS free stuff after getting out of finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not to mention the fact that the whole purpose of the back to school sale is to blow out old stock so they can sell the new product.

If they do this in May, then that suggests a new iPod touch product sooner than September.

How so? It's been like this for the past few years.
post #11 of 51
Quote:

colleges and universities here in toronto were done by end of april...
post #12 of 51
Quote:

Go to your local Community College, register for summer classes, but don't pick the classes, they will give you a temp. card, and Walla, your are a college student at no cost.
post #13 of 51
Ugh, I just bought an iMac!!
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleKoolaid View Post

Go to your local Community College, register for summer classes, but don't pick the classes, they will give you a temp. card, and Walla, your are a college student at no cost.

It's French.

And "you're a college student" is probably what you were trying to say.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.
post #15 of 51
Someone on the other thread suggested it could be a discount program. I didn’t think much of it at the time but it does make some sense it they are cleaning out out products. Maybe the iPhone and iPod releases are switching quarters.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Ugh, I just bought an iMac!!

How just? If it's within two weeks of the promotion, you can usually get them to send you an iTouch for free (if you used a student discount).
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

It's French.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.

Post of the day!
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie View Post

How just? If it's within two weeks of the promotion, you can usually get them to send you an iTouch for free (if you used a student discount).

And, continuing with that theme, there's no such thing as an 'iTouch.'
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by czech44 View Post

colleges and universities here in toronto were done by end of april...

'Back to school' generally refers to grade school -- crayons and 'Trapper Keepers.' (anyone else here as old as I am?) The kiddies get out at the end of May or first week of June, and go back at the end of August or first of September.

Colleges and universities are all over the place. My first year of college was at the U. of Minnesota, and they were on a trimester system.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, continuing with that theme, there's no such thing as an 'iTouch.'

My dictionary is more descriptive than prescriptive (within reason).
post #21 of 51
Quote:

'Back to school' generally refers to grade school -- crayons and 'Trapper Keepers.' (anyone else here as old as I am?) The kiddies get out at the end of May or first week of June, and go back at the end of August or first of September.

BTS for Apple refers to college.
post #22 of 51
Quote:

They require proof so you are out of luck.

And I highly doubt they will include the iPad.

This meeting is likely their typical quarterly to do. They are probably putting up the curtains to keep customers from banging on the door etc. The overnight is probably some banners for the anniversary and any stores that don't have the new big set up tables getting those put in.

The only thing that might require a fresh NDA is the whole icloud/MobileMe or some new internal procedure. since their is supposedly massive training I am going with icloud which won't actually launch until WWDC. Those why folks have to keep mouths shut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nope. They will start in late May to catch grad gifts for incoming college students (who are the only ones that can get the promo), go all summer and release in Sept as always
post #23 of 51
Quote:

It's French.

Like anantksundaram said. Too funny!
post #24 of 51
Quote:

Do it on-line and you don't have to show any proof. And I was told by an Apple employee on the phone I could order that way. Everyone is a "Student of Life", so everyone qualifies for a student discount on-line at Apple. Or you could order it from an Apple reseller and get near, and sometimes below Apple's price, and not have to pay sales tax, which means you got it cheaper than buying from Apple. Just like buying a car. You can pay full retail sticker, or you can shop around and work up the best deal for you.
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

... incoming college students (who are the only ones that can get the promo)

For clarity sake, the promo, in the past, has included:

"EDUCATION INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE QUALIFICATIONS: Those eligible to purchase as Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students, and parents as follows: K12: Any employee of a public or private K12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible. Higher Education: Faculty and staff of higher education institutions and students attending or accepted into a higher education institution are eligible to purchase. Higher Education Parents: Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private higher education institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.

This includes K-12 homeschoolers as well.
post #26 of 51
Maybe half off iPad deal for students who buy new comp?
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #27 of 51
Quote:

It's French.

Butt their knot wonting to go to scool. They's simply trying to get cheeper iTouches.

Touché?
post #28 of 51
Go ahead and use student discount . I used many times. Apple won't catch u even apple does , u only need to pay the difference. Nothing lose!
post #29 of 51
Quote:

Go ahead and the student discount . Apple won't cheek u even apple does, u only need to pay back the price difference. U won't lose anything if u try so worth a try !! A free iPod touch is so attractive !!
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleKoolaid View Post

Walla? lol Don't waste the ID, try taking a language class or two.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Go ahead and the student discount . Apple won't cheek u even apple does, u only need to pay back the price difference. U won't lose anything if u try so worth a try !! A free iPod touch is so attractive !!

Just don't write a cheek for the purchase. Another candidate for a class.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Go ahead and use student discount . I used many times. Apple won't catch u even apple does , u only need to pay the difference. Nothing lose!

It's "Nothing to lose!" Or "Nothing too loose," just take your pick
post #33 of 51
Ok, so guess I am slow on the uptake. Didn't know about the annual back to school special. Purchased 2 MB pro's last week for my off to college daughters. Any chance Apple would honor that purchase and offer me the deal?
post #34 of 51
Maybe if Apple want to chase market share to go with mind share, they will offer free iPhones with a Mac.

But surely it's time for Apple to play hard ball with education and start pushing the iPad aggressively. Compared with the crappy net books foisted onto our kids here in Australia the iPad offers better battery life, better viewing angles, no moving parts, no cables, less weight, cheaper maintenance, and children look after them because they love them.
post #35 of 51
Quote:

I have heard that they ask for a student ID if you buy it in the store....No idea what they do if you buy it online, though.

Dan Uff
post #36 of 51
Quote:

this... and thats pretty lame if this is a 10 years AppleStore "event". In fact this should not even be news.
post #37 of 51
Quote:

It's French.

hahahahaha sooo good. i actually laughed out loud... at work. oops \

i'm french, so naturally i was appalled by the original "walla" post. thanks for absolutely nailing this one, and saving me from needing to berate the unfortunate fellow...
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbe1 View Post

Ok, so guess I am slow on the uptake. Didn't know about the annual back to school special. Purchased 2 MB pro's last week for my off to college daughters. Any chance Apple would honor that purchase and offer me the deal?

Maybe. If it's within the return period, usually they will honor any deals that crop up that would have applied to your purchase. Otherwise you could just return the unit, and buy again to take advantage of the deal. You may actually want to do that if "some time next week" is going to be beyond your return period (15 days, I think).
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Oh wait, it's in Q3 so it helps the Q3 numbers. Then in Q4 they advertise specials for those who are actually returning to school. then there's Xmas in Q1 of next year. Or do I have the quarters all mixed up?

So if what the offer for specials are lackluster, Apple's being stingy. If they offer specials now and later they are grubbing for sales numbers? Is there no one capable of simply acknowledging Apple is successful without having to rationalize their success as some accident or snow job?

How's this for size: Apple makes highly desirable products that are customer focused and provide a good user experience - so much so they are popular despite sales or product refreshes? Frankly for being released as close to June as it was the Verizon iPhone 4 sales were shockingly good.

I just don't get continual cynical or irrational people - especially when it comes to Apple
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Post of the day!

Only if you need to demonstrate your "superiority" over others
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sources: Apple gearing up for back-to-school promotion as early as next week