or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › We print lies because you're a piece of shit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

We print lies because you're a piece of shit.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Esquire.com

The actual article.

Dailycaller.com

Story about the story.

Quote:
The Esquire story, written by Mark Warren, spread across the Internet moments after being posted on the magazines website Wednesday morning. Esquire has said it was a joke and Warren told TheDC he has no regrets about posting it.

He is an execrable piece of shit, Warren said of Corsi.

PARODY

a. A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule. See Synonyms at caricature.


I'm a big fan of humor. I'm not always a fan of people using humor as factual material but I love a laugh as much as the next guy. Most people can understand the nature of parody. You take the source material and caricature it while also including many original elements in it.

A couple clear examples of parody, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report which attempt to parody cable news and also personality driven news analysis shows.

So while Esquire claims a piece that reads like a news article and tells a blatent lie is a bit of "parody" I would ask, what is the original material they are caricaturing or making fun of in the first place? They clearly aren't imitating the author, the style of his book or anything of that nature. Adding humor in the tag doesn't excuse printing a lie.

I suspect if a civil case is filed, the defense of these actions will be pretty hard to do.

What say you?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Esquire.com

The actual article.

Dailycaller.com

Story about the story.



PARODY

a. A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule. See Synonyms at caricature.


I'm a big fan of humor. I'm not always a fan of people using humor as factual material but I love a laugh as much as the next guy. Most people can understand the nature of parody. You take the source material and caricature it while also including many original elements in it.

A couple clear examples of parody, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report which attempt to parody cable news and also personality driven news analysis shows.

So while Esquire claims a piece that reads like a news article and tells a blatent lie is a bit of "parody" I would ask, what is the original material they are caricaturing or making fun of in the first place? They clearly aren't imitating the author, the style of his book or anything of that nature. Adding humor in the tag doesn't excuse printing a lie.

I suspect if a civil case is filed, the defense of these actions will be pretty hard to do.

What say you?

Saw that. I think they are going to lose a lawsuit...big time.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #3 of 19
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Is Corsi more full of shît than Obama?

I wonder what BR would say about this type font irregularity.
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #5 of 19
The source doesn't appear to be credible. Give it some time. Every other nonsensical birther conspiracy has been debunked. I doubt this will hold water either.

Birthers, the boys who cried wolf.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The source doesn't appear to be credible. Give it some time. Every other nonsensical birther conspiracy has been debunked. I doubt this will hold water either.

Birthers, the boys who cried wolf.

Who needs this source or that source. What I wonder BR is what if for example you took the time to magnify the file given to us from the WH website and see (for yourself) the overlap mentioned in the video. Then once you have done this your own observation has to be telling you one of several things.

Either this is not anything abnormal as it was the norm in those days for type print to array itself this way.

or perhaps,

This is indeed abnormal given all the available knowledge to date and based on the findings.

It seems to me that you are not committing to the view that this typefont overlap is anything that you to find to be "abnormal"

My question then is this.

If it is not abnormal can you prove that it is not abnormal? Serious here BR can you? Can you provide other instances where by this is completely "normal" in the early sixties? How about just 1 example... just 1... Well... can you???

Also

Can you at least (with any honesty whatsoever) see why some might be perplexed by the type alignment issue? given the time frame of when this doc was allegedly produced originally (early 60's).

Just asking.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #7 of 19
You have issues with who the burden of proof rests upon.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You have issues with who the burden of proof rests upon.

You are the one who decided (and btw it's your choice and you are entitled to it) to hide behind the mama'a skirt of..... ( I think the source is not credible )

So I thought I might shine a light on a method for you to enlighten the situation with your own capacity of logic, reasoning and sound mind.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

You are the one who decided (and btw it's your choice and you are entitled to it) to hide behind the mama'a skirt of..... ( I think the source is not credible )

So I thought I might shine a light on a method for you to enlighten the situation with your own capacity of logic, reasoning and sound mind.

Fellows

Credibility of a source does matter. Are you going to pick up the weekly world news and believe everything they say because in big bold letters they proclaim they have the 100% SMOKING GUN? Are you kidding me? The burden of proof rests upon them to demonstrate that they indeed did get confirmation from IBM about the typography. And the burden of proof is going to be a little tougher given the lies they have spread in the past.

Do not on one hand take the "reason and logic" argument while on the other you say "evolution is a hoax." That makes you a hypocrite.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Credibility of a source does matter. Are you going to pick up the weekly world news and believe everything they say because in big bold letters they proclaim they have the 100% SMOKING GUN? Are you kidding me? The burden of proof rests upon them to demonstrate that they indeed did get confirmation from IBM about the typography. And the burden of proof is going to be a little tougher given the lies they have spread in the past.

Do not on one hand take the "reason and logic" argument while on the other you say "evolution is a hoax." That makes you a hypocrite.

On your last point you are completely wrong.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Credibility of a source does matter. Are you going to pick up the weekly world news and believe everything they say because in big bold letters they proclaim they have the 100% SMOKING GUN? Are you kidding me? The burden of proof rests upon them to demonstrate that they indeed did get confirmation from IBM about the typography. And the burden of proof is going to be a little tougher given the lies they have spread in the past.

Do not on one hand take the "reason and logic" argument while on the other you say "evolution is a hoax." That makes you a hypocrite.

Your tact lately has been very sloppy and angry. Stop begging the question with others beliefs. You are poisoning these conversations with your bitterness. I agree that those who have made large claims need to back those claims up with large evidence. This tact you take though of snarky dismissal of all things due to what a person thinks that you vehemently disagree with is getting very old. \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Your tact lately has been very sloppy and angry. Stop begging the question with others beliefs. You are poisoning these conversations with your bitterness. I agree that those who have made large claims need to back those claims up with large evidence. This tact you take though of snarky dismissal of all things due to what a person thinks that you vehemently disagree with is getting very old. \

Christianity makes huge claims. It's only supported by a moldy tome that's been translated and retranslated, copied and recopied, distorted over centuries and centuries, of which up to half is now recognized as forgeries, and whose writers aren't those who it proclaims to be.

But you feel it in your heart. So it must be true.

Look, the idea of something larger is amazing. The idea of death is scary as shit. But turning to religion only provides cheap, superficial answers to the universe's most meaningful questions. The brand of religion that dominates this country of late also actively stifles scientific advancement and works to marginalize those who don't buy into it.

Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I'm sick of it. And I just can't understand how any sane adult can throw out all of their imaginary friends from childhood but cling so forcefully to the biggest imaginary friend of them all.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Christianity makes huge claims. It's only supported by a moldy tome that's been translated and retranslated, copied and recopied, distorted over centuries and centuries, of which up to half is now recognized as forgeries, and whose writers aren't those who it proclaims to be.

But you feel it in your heart. So it must be true.

Look, the idea of something larger is amazing. The idea of death is scary as shit. But turning to religion only provides cheap, superficial answers to the universe's most meaningful questions. The brand of religion that dominates this country of late also actively stifles scientific advancement and works to marginalize those who don't buy into it.

Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I'm sick of it. And I just can't understand how any sane adult can throw out all of their imaginary friends from childhood but cling so forcefully to the biggest imaginary friend of them all.


I am on my way to bed but before I log off.. You are loved by God. God is not an imaginary friend. Science reveals knowledge and insight into the amazing and mindblowing universe which we find ourselves. Science and belief in the creator do not have to clash.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I am on my way to bed but before I log off.. You are loved by God. God is not an imaginary friend. Science reveals knowledge and insight into the amazing and mindblowing universe which we find ourselves. Science and belief in the creator do not have to clash.

Fellows

So why the beef with evolution?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So why the beef with evolution?

I think the better question is why the beef with God. Because I see people like Hitchens allegedly debate and he fails to engage the subject of evolution vs/ intelligent design instead listing a host of reasons why he hates the God he says does not exist.

Now don't get me wrong I love Christopher as a child of God. I just think he sells God short.

As for science I think it is fair to say that a measure of the natural can't always take on the challenge of explaining the supernatural.

I believe life while organic and natural and all is also (you guessed it) supernatural as well in scope.

If there is any supernatural nature to us then we need a proper tool to reflect this reality and it may not be materialist in nature. We might need to also incorporate some spiritual reflections into our DNA makeup.

Be Blessed BR.

Off to Bed I go for real this time.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #16 of 19
I can't have a true beef with something that is not sufficiently defined. I'm an igtheist in that regard. Your talk of god is meaningless because you have not presented a falsifiable definition of god to begin with.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I can't have a true beef with something that is not sufficiently defined. I'm an igtheist in that regard. Your talk of god is meaningless because you have not presented a falsifiable definition of god to begin with.

pardon my sloppy lumping of you with Hitchens. He makes no bones about the God he does not like that does not exist.

I respect that you may actually have a differing view than that. What I am arguing for is to leave room for God.

I am also arguing that we might not have as humans a proper viable tool to measure the supernatural nature that we have within us. But merely because we may fail to have the proper tool is no reason to rush to the notion that we are void of a supernatural nature.

In fact this is critical. If we fail to leave room for truth we will get it wrong.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #18 of 19
Define supernatural.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Christianity makes huge claims. It's only supported by a moldy tome that's been translated and retranslated, copied and recopied, distorted over centuries and centuries, of which up to half is now recognized as forgeries, and whose writers aren't those who it proclaims to be.

But you feel it in your heart. So it must be true.

Look, the idea of something larger is amazing. The idea of death is scary as shit. But turning to religion only provides cheap, superficial answers to the universe's most meaningful questions. The brand of religion that dominates this country of late also actively stifles scientific advancement and works to marginalize those who don't buy into it.

Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I'm sick of it. And I just can't understand how any sane adult can throw out all of their imaginary friends from childhood but cling so forcefully to the biggest imaginary friend of them all.

Yeah, we really disagree there. On multiple items.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › We print lies because you're a piece of shit.