or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Intel CEO: Google Android experiencing chaotic growing pains
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel CEO: Google Android experiencing chaotic growing pains

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
Intel CEO Paul Otellini said on Tuesday that Google Android is currently undergoing growing pains from the transition from chaos to order as the platform moves toward Apple's strategy of exerting more control.

Otellini asserted during an investor meeting in Santa Clara, Calif., that Google's efforts to attract users to Android will need to be tempered by efforts to stem the growing problem of fragmentation on the platform, CNet reports.

"Google's model is to get as broad a base as possible because, how do they get paid? They don't get paid by selling Android. They get paid by clicks. At the end of the day, the more pervasive Android is, the more money Google ultimately makes because advertising revenue can accrue from it," he said. "I think there is some growing pains that Android is going through...How do you create order out of chaos?"

According to Otellini, Apple stands on the other end of the spectrum with a high level of order in its products. "Apple's objective is to control everything end to end so they can control the experience and the pricing."

Android faces a problem similar to Microsoft's efforts to exert control over the Windows ecosystem, Otellini continued, noting that Windows originally ran on a variety of platforms before settling on Intel's x86 architecture.

In time, Otellini sees Android moving away from openness in order to fight fragmentation. "The notion of compatibility forwards and backwards, the notion of verification...is something you'll see imposed on the Android ecosystem over time. If you read the press about [Android's] anti-fragmentation agreements that's exactly what's happening today," he said.

Beyond just talking about Android, Otellini also took the opportunity to quell recent rumors that Apple will abandon Intel for the ARM architecture on its line of Mac laptops.

"[Apple's] growth in Macs has quadrupled since they shifted to Intel, their market share has quadrupled since they shifted to Intel. And that value proposition has served them very well," the CEO said. "I don't see their Mac line moving in any different direction anytime soon."

According to a survey last month, 87 percent of Android developers view fragmentation as a problem on the platform, with 57 percent viewing it as a huge or meaningful problem.



Reports that Google had clamped down on handset makers led some to suggest that the search giant was enforcing "non-fragmentation clauses" for Android licensees. Google VP Andy Rubin responded by noting that the company's anti-fragmentation program had been in place in version 1.0 of the mobile OS.

"Our approach remains unchanged: there are no lock-downs or restrictions against customizing UIs," said Rubin. "There are not, and never have been, any efforts to standardize the platform on any single chipset architecture."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said last fall that the comparison between iOS and Android is not one of open vs. closed, but rather integrated vs. fragmented.

"In reality we think the open vs closed argument is just a smokescreen to try and hide the real issue which is: what's best for the customer, fragmented or integrated? We think Android is very fragmented and becoming more fragmented by the day. We prefer integrated so the user doesn't have to be the systems integrator," Jobs said.
post #2 of 55
Is Google just spooked by the relative ease with which handset makers could displace Google Search with Facebook or Bing if it were truly an open platform?
post #3 of 55
As they do move toward a more controlled platform, I hope Apple will get an apology at some point, or at least a nod.

Personally I think Apple had the right model from the start. An open computer, where you can install anything you like is vital in an academic environment (e.g. an OS X workstation), but in the case of consumer devices it can have more cons than pros.
post #4 of 55
"the platform moves toward Apple's strategy of exerting more control"

In other words, Jobs was right, and all that 'open' BS was - well, BS.
Is anyone surprised? At all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Is Google just spooked by the relative ease with which handset makers could displace Google Search with Facebook or Bing if it were truly an open platform?

Could AND would. In a heartbeat, as soon as that check from MS or Facebook clears. If Google really WAS giving away an 'open' platform it would collapse for that very reason. They'd bear all the R&D costs, and opportunists would step in and divert the profit streams. It is, and has always been, just that simple. So OF COURSE the platform cannot be truly 'open'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

As they do move toward a more controlled platform, I hope Apple will get an apology at some point, or at least a nod.

You're almost certainly hoping for an honesty and integrity that just isn't there among the fandroid crowd. They need Apple to be 'evil' so they won't be.
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We prefer integrated so the user doesn't have to be the systems integrator," Jobs said.

Although I don't like being spoon fed anything and detest the idea of big brother's command and control, it is exactky this that led me to buy my first mac in the early 90's. System 7 worked quite well as a operating system, wheras Win 3.1 required a proactive user to keep the ship afloat. Maybe I am now effectively brain-washed, but I am quite content with a system (computer, phone, home entertainment, whatever) that is integrated out of the box and essentially productive - even if this is at the cost of some flexibility and diversification.
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3rdParty View Post

Although I don't like being spoon fed anything and detest the idea of big brother's command and control, it is exactky this that led me to buy my first mac in the early 90's. System 7 worked quite well as a operating system, wheras Win 3.1 required a proactive user to keep the ship afloat. Maybe I am now effectively brain-washed, but I am quite content with a system (computer, phone, home entertainment, whatever) that is integrated out of the box and essentially productive - even if this is at the cost of some flexibility and diversification.

+10 - Nice succinct post!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #7 of 55
So Otellini reads AI now? Because it has been stated here countless (100s - 1000's?) of times by multiple posters:

Google is in this game for one and only one reason: sell more Ads! And gather as much information about the users as possible, to sell to the ad creators... to sell...more...ads.

If that strategy starts to cave, and Google does not "sell more ads"... or they are forced to lock down Ad-Roid to secure user information... how long before their Beta software stays that way, and they lose interest in further developing it?

Then it's a free-for-all, and as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out all those fancy Ad-Roid vs. iOS charts, because it will be more like 20 "forks" against one lovely golden "spoon".

Yes, we like being "spoon-fed"

PS. I actually prefer "spooning"... but that's something completely different
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Is Google just spooked by the relative ease with which handset makers could displace Google Search with Facebook or Bing if it were truly an open platform?

Well, they got spooked by Skyhook.
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

PS. I actually prefer "spooning"... but that's something completely different

ROFL. Spooning is nice. Preferably with a woman, although ...

Okay SRSLY... (BRB on Cheezburger website)
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

ROFL. Spooning is nice. Preferably with a woman, although ...

Okay SRSLY... (BRB on Cheezburger website)

You mean Terminator Kitteh? Oh she (he?) looks like a tuffy. Anywayz... I got my own... both a Kitteh & a Titteh
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #11 of 55
As a consumer I want a hassle-free experience, choice and great pricing.

The Apple approach works because the system is hassle-free, I get to choose which software I want to acquire and the pricing is terrific.

You can build up a decent library of software on an IOS device for a surprisingly reasonable fee. It doesn't feel like a closed system in that the end user decides which software to add and there is lots of pressure keeping pricing in check.

If having to use Apple's distribution system is the price to pay for a system that is nicely integrated, it hardly strikes me as being too heavy a price. Besides, I don't know that Apple could have delivered the integration it has any other way.

Let's face it. This war is over. The competition knows that Apple has simply gotten it right and is now scrambling to pick off as many crumbs as possible. There was ample opportunity for competitors to take the path that has resulted in Apple's success and none did. In a way it's not surprising. The chaos model worked in the past and Apple's closed methodology caused the original Mac to be a marginal player for decades. As such, it was to be expected that competitors initially thought to turn to the approach that had worked before. Apple, instead, perfected its approach, leveraging a delivery method not a viable option decades ago.
post #12 of 55
chaos is just the beginning

99.7% vulnerable

also from what i read, android owners don't upgrade their os

here is where open kills the service, the walled garden approach works better to reduce attacks and data leakage

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...mpaign=feature

http://macdailynews.com/2011/05/18/9...breach-threat/

this should be peoples number one reason to think deep and long about this platform
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You mean Terminator Kitteh? Oh she (he?) looks like a tuffy. Anywayz... I got my own... both a Kitteh & a Titteh

Sigh. Once you visit the Cheezburger websites you never make it back to what you are doing... not with the same IQ anyways.
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

chaos is just the beginning

99.7% vulnerable

also from what i read, android owners don't upgrade their os

Not won't, can't. If they could simply upgrade when a new OS was available, the Verizon's in the world would drop Android. They would lose control and Android just does not supply enough revenue to support letting Goggle control everything like Apple does.
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

chaos is just the beginning

99.7% vulnerable

also from what i read, android owners don't upgrade their os

here is where open kills the service, the walled garden approach works better to reduce attacks and data leakage

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...mpaign=feature

http://macdailynews.com/2011/05/18/9...breach-threat/

this should be peoples number one reason to think deep and long about this platform

FWIW, that issue was pretty much taken care of yesterday, no update to the OS itself necessary. They took care of it by server-side changes with only Picasa still needing to be addressed as I understand it.

But still an excellent point. Without a single-source for the updates, ala' Apple/Microsoft, owners of Android devices are at the mercy of the either manufacturers or, in some cases, service providers if an unanticipated issue crops up. And they will.

When Apple's had similar OS issues arise they've had the luxury of a closed system with Apple as the sole provider of services and products. Problems can be handled in short order. Android grew much faster than I think anyone anticipated, and there's now some basic updating issues that need to be addressed sooner than they had expected. It's no surprise to me that Google has found it needs to exert some control over the platform. IMO I'd like to see Google themselves roll out the updates directly to devices. But that's going to require the cooperation of the manufacturers. I don't see any reason it can't be done. It'll just piss off a few Android fans that insist on hanging their hat on the word "open". To the majority of owners a little control wouldn't even be noticed, much less bothersome.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #16 of 55
Everybody wants to be like Apple. I expect Eric Schmidt and Paul Ortellini to start wearing jeans, sneakers, and turtle necks at their corporate meetings any day now.
post #17 of 55
Very reminiscent of Linux, which was also handicapped by the plethora of "flavors" that were available. If they can rein in the fragmentation, though, it's pretty clear Android will be the dominant OS just based on the number of non-Apple phones out there. Windows is unlikely to be a serious competitor, since they don't seem to get simplicity and elegance.
post #18 of 55
he's not saying anything new or not blatantly apparent, to be honest.
post #19 of 55
Three words that begin with "C"...

Closed
Controlled
Curated

Do you know the difference? Be careful, because they all begin with the same letter and it can get really confusing. :/
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

ROFL. Spooning is nice. Preferably with a woman, although ...

Okay SRSLY... (BRB on Cheezburger website)

Spooning is nice and preferably with another man!
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everybody wants to be like Apple. I expect Eric Schmidt and Paul Ortellini to start wearing jeans, sneakers, and turtle necks at their corporate meetings any day now.

I thought Eric was replaced already.
post #22 of 55
It's like Helen Keller trying to copy a Rembrandt.
post #23 of 55
deleted
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's like Helen Keller trying to copy a Rembrandt.

Was that in reply to this?
Quote:
Spooning is nice and preferably with another man!

Now that's "cheeky"
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #25 of 55
deleted
post #26 of 55

How astute of you! So your saying that Apple's business model is all about selling iAds? I would say it's at #3, 4... or #100 "hobby stage" at the moment in comparison to Google.

In fact, hasn't Apple come under serious pressure from publishers demanding customer info, and they won't give in is from what I understand. OK. Maybe I'm wrong.

<sarcasm>Apple is only about ads and marketing.</sarcasm>
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #27 of 55
Sometimes the obvious questions are right in front of our faces.

I couldn't find a copy of the original "Baird Report" in a somewhat quick search, but did come across one that better described what was in it.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application...-Baird-586234/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

That future is now:

"Yet another report has come out today claiming that Android has overtaken iOS globally."
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/04/14...-ios-globally/

Just as iOS developers target v3, Android developers who target 2.1 get nearly all users with one app.

Anyone here actually seen the Baird report AI likes to keep making reference to?

Perceived fragmentation on the Android platform is a bigger issue in Mac end-user forums than it is in Android dev forums:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=67

OMG! Ya don't say?! Apple is just a shakin' in their boots! Who makes more money and profit, for both themselves, and their developers? As they say on the Interwebz: crickets is all can hear.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #29 of 55
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Android "could" eventually have up to 80% of the phone market. But ya know what, I'll bet that Apple at the same time with 15%:

1) still outsells every singe manufacturer,
2) makes more profit from it's devices (1 phone!) than all of them combined;
3) continues to make the most money for it's developers and from the App Store.

So go ahead... let Google dominate the marketshare category. Because the only one making money, is Google (period).
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #30 of 55
deleted
post #31 of 55
deleted
post #32 of 55

But, unlike Google, selling ads isn't the primary focus/objective/money spinner.

Your point is rather irrelevant.

Apple's ad revenue isn't exactly that great. Google's is their core!
post #33 of 55
One by one Apple/Stevo is winning the arguments! The next one to win is the privacy issue. No thanks Google and Facebook, I will stay with Apple on that one, too!
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Today's Mac users talking of Android sound like yesterday's Windows users talking about Mac.

Let's see if that blithe, unsupported statement stands up to any kind of scrutiny.

Yesterday's Windows user:

1) Was, by and large, obliged to use the platform because their business demanded it. Their business demanded it because it was what the IT Department knew or was willing to deal with. Their business also demanded it because of a legacy investment in software, both in dollars and in time leaning it.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

2) Yesterday's Windows user chose the platform because it was 'a standard'.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

3) For yesterday's Windows user, the Internet was not a major factor.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

4) Yesterday's Windows user either did not buy applications (they were supplied by their employer), or bought applications compatible with whatever they used at work. (With the exception of games.)

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE (aside from the purchase of games).

5) Yesterday's Windows user conceded the Mac as a platform 'for graphics people, and Mac users saw that PCs were 'for business'.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

6) Most PCs were purchased for business use.

SImilarity with iOS vs. Android: NONE.

You can make these comparisons all day - if you're honest. Or you can ignore the facts and make ridiculous, unsupported statements that sound like they might be factual. That is, until you actually look at them.
post #35 of 55
I don't believe this story. They make a declaration with absolutely no supporting facts or details.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Angry Birds Makes More Money from the Free Android Version than from Paid Ones
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Angry...s-170596.shtml
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, that issue was pretty much taken care of yesterday ... To the majority of owners a little control wouldn't even be noticed, much less bothersome.

I see Gatorguy has deigned to grace us with a bit of what he has himself called "stategic communication". For the rest of us, that's known as Google sponsored shilling.
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Android "could" eventually have up to 80% of the phone market. But ya know what, I'll bet that Apple at the same time with 15%:

1) still outsells every singe manufacturer,
2) makes more profit from it's devices (1 phone!) than all of them combined;
3) continues to make the most money for it's developers and from the App Store.

So go ahead... let Google dominate the marketshare category. Because the only one making money, is Google (period).

This is what matters.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I see Gatorguy has deigned to grace us with a bit of what he has himself called "stategic communication". For the rest of us, that's known as Google sponsored shilling.

Hey, if that's his ricebowl (an Asian term for "his way of earning his daily bread"), who am I to hate. It's nice having our very own one-man Google PR team specially for us here on AppleInsider.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I see Gatorguy has deigned to grace us with a bit of what he has himself called "stategic communication". For the rest of us, that's known as Google sponsored shilling.

Good morning to you too Anonymouse

No one could claim you're not persistent and predictable.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #40 of 55
Okay time to be serious now. I've watched the Google I/O 2011 Keynote. Basically Google is throwing everything they have at becoming the next OS that really matters. Take Windows on with Chrome. And for the new battleground, mobile, tablets, your house, the car, everything else... take it on with Android.

The weak link is this: They are operating at a very fast pace only on the software side. The limitations are thereby twofold: the rate of change, and being only on the software side.

Rate of change
The level of OS updates and major releases is probably too fast for carriers and hardware manufacturers to keep up with - unlike Apple, where one source does everything, the end user must go through curation (har har) by their carrier AND their manufacturer AND Google. Sure, I forsee things being better, but to stay on the cutting edge of Android releases will take some effort on the part of the end user.

Software-only approach
Despite the Nexus One, or whatever came or will come next, Google still has to depend on other hardware implementors. Especially now that Android will do everything from run on a phone, to a tablet, to powering an amusement park. All that depends on a lot of different manufacturers doing a lot of work to get the hardware working well with the software. I think Google is trying to improve this, but it remains a weak link.

Still, there is no doubt in my mind now that Google is all out for dominating any "connected" part of our lives. The premise of a virtually unlimited and ever-exciting playground for developers and consumers, covering everything from phones to cars is the bait for delivering ads to you wherever you are.

In fact, Google is on the cusp of achieving advertising's biggest dream - knowing what you like, what you do, where you are, and putting a product you probably are interested in, in front of you every step you take. This is chilling to the bone. This is also, the future, for better or worse. The best thing is that you need not even buy this product. Google will make money nonetheless, whether it's clickthroughs, pageviews, paid search placement, whatever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Intel CEO: Google Android experiencing chaotic growing pains