or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Stay classy, Tea Party
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stay classy, Tea Party

post #1 of 85
Thread Starter 
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...eiving-threats

A New Jersey teen believes Minnesota Representative Michelle Bachmann distorts and misrepresents the Constitution, challenging the congresswoman to a debate about it. Tea Party loses its shit, calling the teen a whore, threatening violence, and even warning they might publish her address. The girl is 16.

Michelle Bachmann, of course, rejected the debate challenge. Stay classy, Tea Party.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #2 of 85
Anonymous online threats, eh? Despicable, yes. But couldn't they have come from people intending to damage the reputation of the Tea Party?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #3 of 85
Thread Starter 
Some may have been fake, but the Tea Party has enough history of racism, bigotry, and ignorance to reasonably conclude they are just as capable of perpetrating this nonsense.

Remember, this was the fucking leader of the Tea Party at a rally:

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #4 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Some may have been fake, but the Tea Party has enough history of racism, bigotry, and ignorance to reasonably conclude they are just as capable of perpetrating this nonsense.

Remember, this was the fucking leader of the Tea Party at a rally:

Actually they have no provable history of any such thing. They do however have folks like yourself who will repeat allegations in hopes of making them true.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #5 of 85
Thread Starter 
Only if you live your life like this can you say that with a straight face.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #6 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Some may have been fake, but the Tea Party has enough history of racism, bigotry, and ignorance to reasonably conclude they are just as capable of perpetrating this nonsense.

You are attributing the alleged deplorable actions of a few to all those who are associated with the movement. It's absurd.

It would be like me saying that all married Democrats cheat on their wives and pointing to John Edwards and Bill Clinton as my proof.

It would be like me saying that all Muslims are radical extremists who want to kill us and pointing to 9/11 as my proof.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #7 of 85
Thread Starter 
I have to go to work so I don't have time to get into the sordid history of the tea party. I gave one quick example, but there are plenty more where that came from. Your analogies are false because I am not hinging my entire judgment of the wacko segment of the Tea Party on just one member.

There does exist a significant wacko segment though. That's the point.

You tell me, do you really think that all, or even the majority, of those threats against that poor 16 year old were fake? Honestly?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You tell me, do you really think that all, or even the majority, of those threats against that poor 16 year old were fake? Honestly?

There's no way for us to know for sure, is there?

My point is you're taking a handful of anonymous posts on the Internet and trying to use them to paint a picture of the entire Tea Party movement that is very different from reality.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #9 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Only if you live your life like this can you say that with a straight face.



Actually it's being able to read.


Quote:
A Note on Dale Robertson, self-described tea party leader
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
By Felicia Cravens

In response to questions we have received regarding Dale Robertson and his involvement with HoustonTPS, and specifically in reference to his attendance at our rally on 27 Feb 2009, we would like to state that:

1. He is NOT a member of our Leadership team.

2. He owns a website with which we have never been affiliated.

3. He has never been a part of organizing any of the Tea Party rallies in the Houston area, or any other area that we can find.

4. We addressed some issues involving him back in April. Here it is on our website, where Mr. Robertson himself comments: http://houstontps.org/?p=318

5. We do not choose to associate with people that use his type of disgusting language.

A search on Google yields plenty of information about Mr. Robertson, and a search of the various leadership teams among legitimate national tea party organizations show him nowhere to be found.

Do any searches and it is clear this guy showed up at the event and continues to try to claim a role within the group. He was asked to leave the day of that event and anyone associated with the tea party does not associate with him. Sure a few media groups listened to him declare he's a leader and let him speak on their show but that anyone can claim anything and be put on a show. That doesn't mean there is a movement and people putting you in charge of that movement.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #10 of 85
Thread Starter 
I stand corrected on his affiliation. I do not waver from the idea that many of the tea party are motivated by racism and bigotry.


By the way, when was the last time I've seen Trumpet, MJ, SDW, or Jazzy admit he was wrong about anything? I can't seem to remember. Trumpet & SDW must have at some point in the distant past. MJ & Jazzy though are so intractable though...don't think it has ever happened with them.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #11 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I do not waver from the idea that many of the tea party are motivated by racism and bigotry.

Of course you don't. I'm sure you won't provide any facts to support this claim though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

By the way, when was the last time I've seen Trumpet, MJ, SDW, or Jazzy admit he was wrong about anything? I can't seem to remember. Trumpet & SDW must have at some point in the distant past. MJ & Jazzy though are so intractable though...don't think it has ever happened with them.

Is there a contest going on I'm not aware of?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #12 of 85
Thread Starter 
Here's a study from the University of Washington stating that Tea Party supporters are indeed more motivated by differences in race than those who do not support the Tea Party.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

Now you and Trumpetman can admit you each were wrong. I can also get an apology from you, MJ, for believing I wouldn't provide facts to support the claim.

Quote:
As the figure shows, even as we account for conservatism and partisanship, support for the Tea Party remains a valid predictor of racial resentment. We're not saying that ideology isn't important, because it is: as people become more conservative, it increases by 23 percent the chance that they're racially resentful. Also, Democrats are 15 percent less likely than Republicans to be racially resentful. Even so, support for the Tea Party makes one 25 percent more likely to be racially resentful than those who don't support the Tea Party.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Here's a study from the University of Washington stating that Tea Party supporters are indeed more motivated by differences in race than those who do not support the Tea Party.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

Now you and Trumpetman can admit you each were wrong. I can also get an apology from you, MJ, for believing I wouldn't provide facts to support the claim.

One study by one racially motivated professor using intent proxies is proof?

BR, you show the exact reason why MJ and others would never call this proof. Political disagreement isn't racism. The survey questions presuppose a political agenda and disagreement with that agenda constitutes racism. That is ridiculous.

Also he claims to use regression to remove the "conservatism" from the Tea Party but the whole point is that the Tea Party is attempting to make other political parties much more fiscally conservative. How do regress away the basic point of the movement? It should a profound and fundamental break in understanding in the subject being studied.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #14 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Here's a study from the University of Washington stating that Tea Party supporters are indeed more motivated by differences in race than those who do not support the Tea Party.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

Now you and Trumpetman can admit you each were wrong.

Wrong about what?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I can also get an apology from you, MJ, for believing I wouldn't provide facts to support the claim.

I'll give an apology conditioned on the actual content of what you've provided. I haven't read it yet so I can't say whether you've actually provided anything worth calling a "fact" in support of your claims. As far as I know you Googled "tea party racism study" or some such and found a link that looked like is said what you wanted it to say. In fact doing such a Google search would have revealed this:

WHAT RACISM? STUDY TACKLES TEA PARTY MYTH a small study by a UCLA grad student of the signs found at Tea Party rallies as a measure of, at least, expressed racist attitudes.

And this: 'Assessing the Survey Data on Tea Party “Racism”' which directly analyzes the survey linked by you. Now I haven't read the complete survey you linked to yet, but here what this analysis said:

Quote:
The study authors don’t claim that white Tea Partiers have unusually high levels of racism as such, but they do argue that this group has more “racial resentment” than other whites. That charge, however, is poorly supported by the study’s actual data.

Quote:
Some of that data simply shows that Tea Partiers hold more conservative views on racial policy issues than do opponents and moderates.

Quote:
The strongest evidence of possible racism in the WISER study is the finding that only 35% of committed white Tea Party supporters describe blacks as “hardworking” (compared to 55% of strong opponents), only 45% see them as “intelligent” (compared to 59% of opponents and only 41% view them as “trustworthy” (compared to 57% of Tea Party opponents). The numbers for assessments of Latinos are similar, though slightly more favorable.

This data has limitations. It doesn’t prove that Tea Partiers are unusually likely to view blacks and Latinos negatively, believe that they should be discriminated against, or even that blacks have fewer positive traits than whites. Still, it’s at least plausible to believe that a person who refuses to describe a group as “hardworking,” “trustworthy,” or “intelligent” is prejudiced against them.

That conjecture breaks down, however, once we look at the survey’s data on white Tea Party supporters attitudes towards whites. Only 49% of strong Tea Party supporters describe whites as “hard working” (59% of opponents describe whites that way), 59% characterize whites as “intelligent” (compared to 69% of opponents) and 49% describe whites as “trustworthy” (compared to 72% of opponents).

If refusing to describe a group as “hard working,” “intelligent,” or “trustworthy” is an indication of prejudice or “resentment” against it, then about half of white Tea Party supporters seem to be strongly anti-white. Moreover, white Tea Party supporters would seem to be more anti-white by this measure than are white Tea Party opponents, who are far more likely to attribute the three positive characterizations to whites. It’s reasonable to note that white Tea Party supporters are more likely to ascribe the three positive attributes to whites than to blacks. But the same is also true of Tea Party opponents. For example, 72% of strong opponents describe whites as trustworthy, compared to 57% who describe blacks that way.

And this: "Is the Tea Party Racist?":

Quote:
That's right: if you do not believe that blacks should have gotten more in recent years, then you are harboring racial resentment. Questions such as these are designed to stigmatized conservatism.

Quote:
Questions such as these do more to measure political ideology -- including core Tea Party values of self-sufficiency and responsibility -- than "racial resentment."

Quote:
The study is indecisive not only because of its small sample size and its limitation to several states, but because it fails to disentangle ideology from racial attitudes.

Quote:
The survey also asks whether respondents consider blacks and Hispanics intelligent, hard-working, and trustworthy. Fewer Tea Party "true believers" approved of these characterizations than the "true skeptics." What Parker did not reveal until he was pressed by others, probably because it undercut his conclusion, is that fewer "true believers" approved of these characterizations for all racial categories, including whites. Tea Partiers were more likely to forgo wholesale racial categorizations. When one measures the different rates at which positive stereotypes are applied to whites versus blacks, then Tea Party supporters perform roughly the same as Tea Party critics.

Quote:
It is worth remembering that even if a higher percentage of racists were found to participate in the Tea Party movement, and even if some were motivated to participate by racist impulses, in neither case does it follow that the Tea Party is a racist movement. Yet even so, the WISER study does not remotely establish that Tea Partiers are disproportionately racist or driven by "racial paranoia" to participate.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #15 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Wrong about what?




I'll give an apology conditioned on the actual content of what you've provided. I haven't read it yet so I can't say whether you've actually provided anything worth calling a "fact" in support of your claims. As far as I know you Googled "tea party racism study" or some such and found a link that looked like is said what you wanted it to say. In fact doing such a Google search would have revealed this:

Yeah but I said all that in like two sentences. I'm much more efficient.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #16 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yeah but I said all that in like two sentences. I'm much more efficient.

Indeed you are.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #17 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I have to go to work so I don't have time to get into the sordid history of the tea party. I gave one quick example, but there are plenty more where that came from. Your analogies are false because I am not hinging my entire judgment of the wacko segment of the Tea Party on just one member.

There does exist a significant wacko segment though. That's the point.

You tell me, do you really think that all, or even the majority, of those threats against that poor 16 year old were fake? Honestly?

This is pathetic, absurd and somewhat amusing. The Tea Party is not even a truly organized movement. There is no "Tea Party" option when I register to vote. There is no candidate that is an official member of "The Tea Party." Sure, there are regional groups, people that claim to be in the "Tea Party," etc. But it's really just people with ideas for limited government. Are you going to find wingnuts and wackadoos? Of course you are. But you'll find that in any organized party as well, from Democrats, to Republicans, to Libertarians, to unaffiliated people. This thread of yours is in such poor taste and such a waste of time. Goodbye.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #18 of 85
When doing some reading on the photo one thing that came up that I did find rather odd is the various claims around the picture being faked. I'm not going to say it was faked but it is very strange that someone would use a dry erase board and then tape cardboard over a portion of it in an attempt to "fix" or change it. I mean if could one have simply erased whatever word was there and replaced it?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #19 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I stand corrected on his affiliation. I do not waver from the idea that many of the tea party are motivated by racism and bigotry.


By the way, when was the last time I've seen Trumpet, MJ, SDW, or Jazzy admit he was wrong about anything? I can't seem to remember. Trumpet & SDW must have at some point in the distant past. MJ & Jazzy though are so intractable though...don't think it has ever happened with them.

Quote:
By the way, when was the last time I've seen Trumpet, MJ, SDW, or Jazzy admit he was wrong about anything? I can't seem to remember. Trumpet & SDW must have at some point in the distant past. MJ & Jazzy though are so intractable though...don't think it has ever happened with them

That would be never. When presenting a point no matter what evidence you submit there'll always be something wrong with it. And no matter how small or irrelevent that point will negate the entire argument. And if backed into a corner they'd rather insult than admit they were wrong.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #20 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

That would be never.

Wrong actually. I have admitted mistakes here. Once even to you. And a couple of times in the bast 2-3 months in fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

When presenting a point no matter what evidence you submit there'll always be something wrong with it.

And who's fault is that?!?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

And if backed into a corner they'd rather insult than admit they were wrong.

Did you just shift gears and start talking about BR and tonton?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I stand corrected on his affiliation.

I admire that you are correctable. What I would hope to think that you might admire is that I did not come into this thread and use a lot of huge font yelling and using words like quality.


So my desire is that we all move forward and ask questions and allow ourselves to be corrected with dignity not condemnation. I really think we can do this.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #22 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I admire that you are correctable. What I would hope to think that you might admire is that I did not come into this thread and use a lot of huge font yelling and using words like quality.


So my desire is that we all move forward and ask questions and allow ourselves to be corrected with dignity not condemnation. I really think we can do this.

Fellows

Then do it yourself with regard to evolution.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Then do it yourself with regard to evolution.

I can't tell you how many years of brainwashing I have experienced with the subject of origins as explained via Darwinian evolution during all my years in school and college. I have since done my own review and intellectual dive into the study of this worldview and have for the most part found the whole of it to be based not on fact nor observation but pure conjecture and speculation if not in some cases outright fraud.

Thanks but no thanks BR. You are however more than welcome to a second helping of your evolution buffet. In fact may you have all the evolution you can dream of...

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #24 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I can't tell you how many years of brainwashing I have experienced with the subject of origins as explained via Darwinian evolution during all my years in school and college. I have since done my own review and intellectual dive into the study of this worldview and have for the most part found the whole of it to be based not on fact nor observation but pure conjecture and speculation if not in some cases outright fraud.

Thanks but no thanks BR. You are however more than welcome to a second helping of your evolution buffet. In fact may you have all the evolution you can dream of...

Fellows

So you know more than the mindbogglingly large consensus of biologists, biochemists, anthropologists, archaeologists, et cetera, who have spent their lifetimes actually studying this stuff? Your smoking guns are nothing more than lies propagated by religious people with agendas. They've been debunked time and time again. You just can't bring yourself to admit that.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #25 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So you know more than the mindbogglingly large consensus of biologists, biochemists, anthropologists, archaeologists, et cetera, who have spent their lifetimes actually studying this stuff? Your smoking guns are nothing more than lies propagated by religious people with agendas. They've been debunked time and time again. You just can't bring yourself to admit that.

That's not true BR.

One of these days I think you will realize that. You have to allow people to question the Pope, or the Emperor, or their doctor, or their science class teacher / professor regarding evolution.

Just because Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld etc. Obama tell me the war is good for our country and Ba Geeeesus knows they have more knowledge in these matters does not make their contentions "True"

I am looking for Truth BR. Not doctrine or ideology. Sometimes the smartest people are the cunning ones selling the biggest lies.

I suspect that Banks have done untold horrible things in the name of a $ of profit. I suspect wars have been started for similar causes.

It is not the fact the Fed Chief or Treasury Sec. is smarter than me that makes his opinions / biases / statements true or right.

In fact it is my job to trust but verify.

Many people lie BR I hate to tell you. but I encourage you to be more aware of this simple truth.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #26 of 85
Thread Starter 
None of what you said has anything to do with the mountains of evidence in support of evolution. If you are truly as open minded as you claim you are, read up on endogenous retroviruses and what it means about common ancestry for humans and other primates.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

That would be never. When presenting a point no matter what evidence you submit there'll always be something wrong with it. And no matter how small or irrelevent that point will negate the entire argument. And if backed into a corner they'd rather insult than admit they were wrong.

Pot, meet kettle. jimmac, I am more than happy to admit when I'm wrong. I've done so here several times. Two examples:

1) Pre-2008, I felt strongly McCain would be the next President. Times changed quickly, and I was proven wrong.

2) In 2006, I thought the GOP would lose the House but keep the Senate...right up until election day itself. I turned out to be wrong there.


Oh, and when have you EVER backed me or anyone else into a corner?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #28 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I stand corrected on his affiliation. I do not waver from the idea that many of the tea party are motivated by racism and bigotry.

There is really very little support for that. On the other hand, there is quite a bit of evidence showing that the left has tried to infiltrate and sabotage the tea party. They have sent "tea partiers" to rallies holding signs with racist messages, etc. And the coverage in the media is nowhere near accurate.

I have not been to a tea party event, but I have the exact opposite view you hold. I know several people who have attended, and have never heard of a single case of racism, bigotry, etc (other than from liberal media sources). The only thing I would say is the crowds tend to be overwhelmingly white. That does not equal racism in itself.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #29 of 85
How many other threads on here have BR harassing someone and taking them off-topic because he declares they will not waver from an idea even when presented with evidence contrary to the belief?

For the left politics has taken the place of religion.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #30 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

For the left politics has taken the place of religion.

Anthropogenic Global Warming, too.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #31 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Anthropogenic Global Warming, too.

You're a laugh riot. It's all one can do to keep from crying. It's sad so many people are so scientifically ignorant.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #32 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It's sad so many people are so scientifically ignorant.

Yes it is. But thankfully they quickly self-identify as Evolutionists and AGW/Climate Change believers so we can then speak more slowly and use smaller words with them.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #33 of 85
I don't care about what you think of me or my beliefs, but what I do care about is that you want governments to force your beliefs on everyone else.

I just want government to leave everyone - including you - the heck alone.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes it is. But thankfully they quickly self-identify as Evolutionists and AGW/Climate Change believers so we can then speak more slowly and use smaller words with them.

Zing!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #35 of 85
Thread Starter 
Hilarious. Again, laughing at you two is all one can do to stop oneself from crying for humanity.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #36 of 85
Thread Starter 
The anti-intellectual religionists in America today are just like those Muslims who followed al-Ghazali in the 11th and 12th centuries. He marked a huge shift in the Islamic faith, ending their 3 century renaissance in which they were the world leaders in mathematical and scientific progress. Ever heard of the word Algebra? Arabic. Algorithm? Arabic. Our number system? Arabic. The names of most of the stars in the sky? Arabic.

But after 1100 or so...well, the Islamic world hasn't really recovered from their dark ages. Only now in the democratic uprisings is there hope.

Let's not lead America down this same path of embracing ignorance either.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The anti-intellectual religionists in America today are just like those Muslims who followed al-Ghazali in the 11th and 12th centuries. He marked a huge shift in the Islamic faith, ending their 3 century renaissance in which they were the world leaders in mathematical and scientific progress. Ever heard of the word Algebra? Arabic. Algorithm? Arabic. Our number system? Arabic. The names of most of the stars in the sky? Arabic.

But after 1100 or so...well, the Islamic world hasn't really recovered from their dark ages. Only now in the democratic uprisings is there hope.

Let's not lead America down this same path of embracing ignorance either.

The difference is there is no leader with that kind of clout. We also have a far different system of government, one that doesn't allow these types to dominate public education.
I also think that true "anti-intellectual religionists" (those that utterly deny science, let's say) are pretty thin, numbers-wise.

I gather that your statement is predicated on the belief that there are millions of these people. In that vein, your view of what constitutes the anti-intellectual is probably pretty broad. I don't mean to use a strawman here, but that's the sense I'm getting. People that have a strong Christian faith and question parts of evolution are not in the above group. Neither are climate skeptics who happen to be Christians, for that matter.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #38 of 85
Thread Starter 
SDW, be honest. It goes far beyond "questioning parts" of evolution. And yes, the anti-intellectuals do get a lot of clout because they win school board seats that define the curriculum.

In Texas, they removed Jefferson from the list of writers who influenced 18th century revolutions. They added John Calvin, Thomas Aquinas, and William Blackstone in his place. Are you kidding me? REMOVE THOMAS JEFFERSON from that list? Revisionist history bullshit.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

SDW, be honest. It goes far beyond "questioning parts" of evolution. And yes, the anti-intellectuals do get a lot of clout because they win school board seats that define the curriculum.

ehh..speaking as a former school board member, that's not entirely true. Intelligent design, for example, is not exactly "taking off." And getting new curriculum through is not an easy or quick process, especially if you're a board member. They really just approve what the district personnel develop.

Quote:

In Texas, they removed Jefferson from the list of writers who influenced 18th century revolutions. They added John Calvin, Thomas Aquinas, and William Blackstone in his place. Are you kidding me? REMOVE THOMAS JEFFERSON from that list? Revisionist history bullshit.

I think you'll find much more revisionist history on the anti-American, anti-white, anti-European side as it pertains to revisionist history in schools.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #40 of 85
A propos the violence and lack of all perspective of these dickheads in the Tea Party, after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the SF Chronicle commented on John Wilkes Booth:

Quote:
Booth has simply carried out what ... secession politicians and journalists have been for years expressing in words ... who have denounced the President as a 'tyrant', a 'despot', a 'usurper', hinted at, and virtually recommended.

They should grow the fuck up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Stay classy, Tea Party